HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN Fantasy Sports NYR under Torts

Old
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Cally at 65 points is hilarity.

Maybe if the guy could pass or set up plays.

I think he's undoubtedly a 20 goal scorer though, but that doesn't translate into points. Especially at those numbers.
I could see Cally hit 65 points at some point in his career. With his hard work its definitely not out of the question.

If his production was similar to what he has done under Tortorella, he could easily hit 65. He has 10 points in 14 games playing a style suited toward his game.

I dont understand the whole "he can't pass or set up plays" notion. Who has he been setting up much of the season? Gomez, who usually can't score? Naslund, who takes 25 minutes to get his wrist shot off?

Since Torts and a linemate who can score in Avery came in he has been on fire. If he could produce like he has he can hit 65 points.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I could see Cally hit 65 points at some point in his career. With his hard work its definitely not out of the question.

If his production was similar to what he has done under Tortorella, he could easily hit 65. He has 10 points in 14 games playing a style suited toward his game.

I dont understand the whole "he can't pass or set up plays" notion. Who has he been setting up much of the season? Gomez, who usually can't score? Naslund, who takes 25 minutes to get his wrist shot off?

Since Torts and a linemate who can score in Avery came in he has been on fire. If he could produce like he has he can hit 65 points.
No, he can't. And if you're going to sit here and tell me he can pass and set up plays, well you'd better add a _____ better than Colton Orr at the end of it. Because that's about the only player that he can pass better on this team.

Him, Sjostrom, Betts, Orr and Naslund are pretty terrible at passing.

Last edited by Jaromir Jagr: 03-24-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
No, he can't. And if you're going to sit here and tell me he can pass and set up plays, well you'd better add a _____ better than Colton Orr at the end of it. Because that's about the only player that he can pass better on this team.

How was the set up to Dubinsky against the Sens Sunday night? Looked pretty good to me.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
How was the set up to Dubinsky against the Sens Sunday night? Looked pretty good to me.
Ah, the famous here-and-the-now argument. We've all watched the majority of Callahan's games as a Ranger. 110% every shift. Hits everything that moves. Scoring is starting to come together now, too. But his setups are not pretty passes, and I'm not saying they should be. They're not even good passes. But your arguing that they are. And that's clearly not his strength point and will keep him below 65 points the majority of his career if not his whole career. That's fine though - we aren't asking that out of him.

Don't need to make a big production out of the obvious, though I know everyone likes to defend their favorite players, he's one of mine too.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't mean to pidgeon-hole Cally into anything and don't mean my post as give up on him today, he's only a fourth liner. Something tells me this is a career year for him and this is the best we'll see. Another part of me wonders if he'd do better if he had more PP time. It's tough - some players just have a ceiling, but are pretty consistent. What is disappointing about him is his total points. Nice goal total, but he needs to get some more points out there.

Sting - I hope the same about Dubi, of course, again, I do have some reservations, but the difference between he and Cally, I think, is that he sees the ice better and is more controlled with the puck as well as distributes it better. He just needs to get it to the right people at the right time and learn how to make the play. He always seems to be around the puck, near the net, getting off the shots, of kicking it out to the guy with some ice, but doesn't seem to get the points and I can't decide if that's just the way it is, or the points will soon come. His totals this season, considering who he played with and his ice time, are pretty disappointing, even for a sophomore. Still thought he was best-served as the third line centerman on this team, not playing with the team's top offensive weapon (Zherdev).

I have to disagree, Since Callys fist game as a Ranger he has made an impact, he has been out most consistent forward all year.

Last year he was injured, it stunned his growth, once he got his legs back (just in time for the playoffs) he made a huge impact again.

I see Cally being a gritty, steady, 2nd or 3rd line power forward.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Farm Report: Rangers prospect Evgeny Grachev, currently playing in the Ontario League, already eclipsed Jason Spezza’s record for most points by a Brampton Battalion rookie, but now the 19-year-old is dominating the post-season as well. After scoring 80 points in 60 regular season contests, Grachev has seven points in just two playoff games. The team can probably afford to give him one more year in junior, but this up-and-coming star should be on the NHL roster by 2010-11.
This was the most exciting part of the article for me (Jason Spezza!?!?!?!)..... It seems as though Grachev is now far and above that level of competition, he adjusted to North American style and has just dominated.. Last time I checked hes something like a +48.. I'm worried that keeping him in juniors for another year might be a waste, he needs to play better talent... I really hope he earns a spot out of camp..

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 07:42 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

Fancy that! Callahan made one of the nicest passes of the game. I thought he could not pass or setup plays?

Old
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
This was the most exciting part of the article for me (Jason Spezza!?!?!?!)..... It seems as though Grachev is now far and above that level of competition, he adjusted to North American style and has just dominated.. Last time I checked hes something like a +48.. I'm worried that keeping him in juniors for another year might be a waste, he needs to play better talent... I really hope he earns a spot out of camp..
Spezza was probably 16. Grachev is 19.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote