HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tapered shafts.

Old
03-10-2009, 04:33 PM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Tapered shafts.

Let's talk tapered shafts. I picked up 2 pro stock toe curves, and one standard wood one (To make my own curve), but the 2 PS blades are tapered. So now I have to pick up a tapered shaft, that said:

What exactly is the advantage of a tapered shaft? It seems only the top end shafts are tapered (Sr. sized) like the Vapor XXXX, Synergy Elite, or the Dolomite. I know the physical difference, but why use them?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

lower kick point. you can get your shot off quicker

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Brodeur

Most one piece sticks are really two piece tapered shafts + tapered blades. So in theory, you're getting the benefits of using a one piece stick while having the freedom to readily swap out blades. And then at this point, we can debate the benefits of a OPS over a standard shaft/blade combo. In theory, you should be able to get a better/more consistent shot but realistically it's about the carpenter, not his tools.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Nosebleed Section

Like the guy above said it's basically so you get the low kick point and theoretically a better shot.

That being said if you don't want to spend the cash and you have regular shafts sitting around you can try wrapping some stick tape around the blade insert part to give it the larger diameter to fit.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosebleed Section View Post
Like the guy above said it's basically so you get the low kick point and theoretically a better shot.

That being said if you don't want to spend the cash and you have regular shafts sitting around you can try wrapping some stick tape around the blade insert part to give it the larger diameter to fit.
Don't do this. You will get absolutely no kick off the shot, and the blade will probably fall out. Standard blade with standard shaft. Only.

A tapered shaft will act like a OPS, that's the point in them. Low kick point, high performance.

If you're going to invest in a 2 piece setup long term, they're what I would recommend. And you can make one from most old OPS, there are explanations around on here and modsquad.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

My old aluminum Gretzky shaft is tapered, and I have been using standard blades in it long before I knew the difference between standard and tapered. Nothing jumping 6 steps with stick in hand won't fix!

But yeah, putting a tapered blade into a standard shaft is apparently a no-no.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
My old aluminum Gretzky shaft was tapered, and I have been using standard blades in it long before I knew the difference between standard and tapered. Nothing jumping 6 steps with stick in hand won't fix!

But yeah, putting a tapered blade into a standard shaft is apparently a no-no.
Fixed.

Aluminum bends. Try that with a composite shaft and you're out a hundred bucks.

Old
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Fixed.

Aluminum bends. Try that with a composite shaft and you're out a hundred bucks.
Good point. I was thinking of moving over to Composite, but I just love the feel of it. Tried my friends Synergy ST, feels great but hate the grip.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:03 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Arite, so what tapered should I go for? I'm between the Vapor XXXX, Warrior Dolo, or the Easton Elite.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Arite, so what tapered should I go for? I'm between the Vapor XXXX, Warrior Dolo, or the Easton Elite.
I've only ever used the Synergy series, but they're great. Haven't heard much about the Vapor, but the Dolo has a good rep.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I've only ever used the Synergy series, but they're great. Haven't heard much about the Vapor, but the Dolo has a good rep.
yea i have a dolomite and i really like it. its the dolomite clear. ive heard teh vapor XXXX is a bit top heavy when paired with the blade

i really like my dolomite

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
The Synergy Elite is just the new Synergy II.

I have both a Synergy II and a XXX-Lite shaft. I really like both of them and performance is about the same....same blades in BTW.

The only noticeable difference is the shape of the shaft. I myself like the feel of the Easton over the xxx-lite, but it's only how the stick feels in my hands.

The Dolo is a great shaft. I've used the OPS version and was very happy with it.

If I had to buy a new shaft right now it would be either a Dolo2 or an Easton. Reason being, I'm not a big fan of grip coating (standard on Bauer's) and Warrior and Easton both have a 75 flex Sr shaft. All three are top end choices so you really can't go wrong.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea i have a dolomite and i really like it. its the dolomite clear. ive heard teh vapor XXXX is a bit top heavy when paired with the blade

i really like my dolomite
Generally speaking, you won't get same balance as the OPS unless you pair it with the matching blade. Even then it can be iffy depending on what you use for glue and how much you cut it down.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote