HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

STH "Town Hall" Meeting Report

Old
03-25-2009, 03:44 AM
agentj*

vCash: 500
STH "Town Hall" Meeting Report

Copied from the philly.com board....someone who went tonight posted this ... I'm going April 6th.

Hey Guys,

I just got back from the STH Townhall meeting. We were divided into small groups and got to meet with Homer, Stevens, Luukko, and the Hockey operations dude.

I heard so much and I cant remember it all but here is what I recall that you might find interesting.

JVR - The hockey operations guy said that he feels that JVR is now mature enough and more mentally ready to join the team next year. (He said that he would be very surprised if JVR chose college again next year.) That doesn't mean join the Flyers necessarily, but at least the minor league team (whatever team that is). Speaking of that they still have no clue as to what they plan to do with the minor league team situation. They are keeping their options open.

Knuble - 1st off Homer was awesome, he is so fan friendly...I asked him about Knuble. He said Knuble wants to stay and the Flyers want him. Of course there is the cap issue and Knuble knows he will have to take a cut. Due to his age though the team can make most of his contract bonus and incentives and that wont count against the cap. That is the strategy they are going to try with Knuble if his agent goes for it.

Goalies - Homer says we have no goalies for next year and he is not sure what we are going to do yet. He says that Marty's agent wants WAY too much money and that he is not Marty Brodeur even though he outplayed him last night. They last spoke to Marty in December and he wants to stay but the agent is the pain. They will try again to bargain with him. He said that Nitty is damaged goods and the Hip has and never will fully recover. He suggested with his words that this is Nitty's problem. He said he got many calls for Nitty at the trade deadline but he could not in good faith trade damaged goods Nitty to anyone. If Marty doesn't work out they will be looking into the Bulin Wall, Tim Thomas, Manny Fernandez, or try and make a trade.

NHL and Refs - Homer 1st basically said that Bobby Holik is scum for his hit on Coburn and other crap he tried to pull last night. He said that he thinks the NHL is serious about head shots and that Buttman and Campbell are actually doing a good job in that area. He said that Gags was pissed at him for not making a bigger stink about head shots in the GM meetings. Homer said he told Gags that you guys (meaning the players)need to respect one another better and stop with the purposely dirty shots. He kept making references to penalties and the refs and finally I just brought it up to him. I asked if we were being whiny fans when we complain about the refs and he said no way. He said that players who came from other teams to us said they used to never be mad about calls and used to never get called for the things they do until they got on the Flyers. Briere said that he never got called for crap when he was on Buffalo and that he noticed a real difference between they way they call things against the Flyers vs other teams. Homer says he calls the league when it is really bad but he tries not to too much. But he says truthfully he feels like calling every day. He also said this Bias was there even when he played.

Salary Cap - Homer says the cap will likely go down and they are working on their strategy.

Luca - will join the Phantoms and maybe the Flyers when his season is done.

Stevens - John is a really nice guy, he absolutely adores the players and gushes when talking about them. He makes highlight videos for the players to watch and sets them to music to show their contributions. He puts positive cheesy team building music in the background and the players love it. He showed us one of the vids to start.

I asked him about the goalies and he said that Marty will get the rest of the play down the stretch no matter what. Nitty will only get 1 or 2 more games this year.

Tire on stick - If you heard the story and were wondering It was Hartnell's stick that Stevens tied a tire to in order to teach him to keep his stick on the ice.

Riley -Someone asked about Riley and who will be getting his spot for the Playoffs. Stevens said that hockey is a team sport and that Riley is good for this team and that everyone loves him being there. He said it wasn't for sure but he is fairly certain that Riley will be playing in the playoffs. Stevens said that he hates carrying 7 defensemen and will likely use 6 in the playoffs as they get stale when not used.

Kimmo - He is not worried about Timonen tiring out as he said Kimmo uses his energy wisely.

Lines - He is of course very pleased with the Line combos now and said that his philosophy is that he likes to put guys together in pairs. He gave the example of Briere and Hartnell he said that they play well together and are a pair that he will try to keep together.

Candy - Somebody asked what candy he sucks on during the games (as they had a bet). Stevens said that his mouth gets dry due to his nose being broken so many times. He thinks it looks silly for a coach to being chewing gum on TV behind the bench so he sucks on what he called hole candy (lifesavers?).

Spectrum - Luukko was not sure when the Spectrum will come down he thinks maybe this time next year but is not 100% sure. They will be selling the seats for charity. They will have 1 big concert there as a last event.

Uniforms - Luukko and the players love the Orange jerseys. Luukko is not sure how we got black but he doesn't like them. In the this year playoffs we will be wearing all orange all the time at home!! I asked if the rumor was true that we will be using orange at home next year and he said YES! He also said that down the road they are looking into modifying the whites into the old time 70's style jersey but that is not a definite. He said that the orange we are using is not any brighter than the 70's jersey it was modeled after. (the Burnt orange is from another jersey apparently).

Those are the main things I can remember. Sorry this is so long...hope it gave you some things to think about.

agentj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentj View Post
Goalies - Homer says we have no goalies for next year and he is not sure what we are going to do yet. He says that Marty's agent wants WAY too much money and that he is not Marty Brodeur even though he outplayed him last night. They last spoke to Marty in December and he wants to stay but the agent is the pain. They will try again to bargain with him. He said that Nitty is damaged goods and the Hip has and never will fully recover. He suggested with his words that this is Nitty's problem. He said he got many calls for Nitty at the trade deadline but he could not in good faith trade damaged goods Nitty to anyone. If Marty doesn't work out they will be looking into the Bulin Wall, Tim Thomas, Manny Fernandez, or try and make a trade.
Cool. More rental goalies.

So, that's, what, at least 5 more years of the smug "You can say the Flyers have had some goalie turmoil" comment during national broadcasts?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFF

Quote:
Uniforms - Luukko and the players love the Orange jerseys. Luukko is not sure how we got black but he doesn't like them. In the this year playoffs we will be wearing all orange all the time at home!! I asked if the rumor was true that we will be using orange at home next year and he said YES! He also said that down the road they are looking into modifying the whites into the old time 70's style jersey but that is not a definite. He said that the orange we are using is not any brighter than the 70's jersey it was modeled after. (the Burnt orange is from another jersey apparently).
****ing awesome!!!

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Amateur Hour

Easily one of the more satisfying things I've read on this board. Thanks for posting it. It's so great to get a look into the organization that most of us (see: non-STH) would otherwise not be able to.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:05 AM
FlyerX

Getting the annual report on this event is always interesting.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:21 AM
chaosof99*

Some awesome stuff and some questionable stuff. Goalie situation most obviously. Let's hope everything works out.

However, the story about Hartnell getting a tire tied to his stick is awesome. Didn't hear it before

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:49 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks for this repost, its nice when you get to see the personalities behind the faces.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
He said that the orange we are using is not any brighter than the 70's jersey it was modeled after.
That's a crock of ****. Anyone who's seen a 70's Flyers' jersey next to the orange jersey from this year can see that they are two, completely different, shades of orange. It's like red-orange vs carrot-orange.

Edit - For frig's sake if you take the Flyers' current home/away jerseys and lay an orange part on top of the third jersey the shades of orange are different. So yeah, I'm finished whining.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Thanks for the report. Pretty interesting stuff.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
'Homer could not trade Niitty in good faith'

I'm not so sure if I want my GM worried about other guys' feelings when trades are made. I think you have to read between the lines there, and he just didn't want to trade him because there wasn't going to be a suitable replacement. Then again, if Biron gets hurt and we have a guy in net that the GM admitted is damaged goods, it's his job to have a guy in there who is not and not really give a damn about the other team if they want him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
That's a crock of ****. Anyone who's seen a 70's Flyers' jersey next to the orange jersey from this year can see that they are two, completely different, shades of orange. It's like red-orange vs carrot-orange.

Edit - For frig's sake if you take the Flyers' current home/away jerseys and lay an orange part on top of the third jersey the shades of orange are different. So yeah, I'm finished whining.
Not entirely correct. The current shade was used before. I believe the colors went darker pretty soon after because it the orange jerseys looked too bright and was mistaken for white on black and white TV sets.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I have no idea why, but the "Hole Candy" thing is ****ing hilarious. Sure John, I bet you really do love to suck on some holes. I.e.- Randy Jones' hole.

Thanks for this posting, by the way. I decided not to go since I wasn't too sure what it was all about.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
'Homer could not trade Niitty in good faith'

I'm not so sure if I want my GM worried about other guys' feelings when trades are made. I think you have to read between the lines there, and he just didn't want to trade him because there wasn't going to be a suitable replacement. Then again, if Biron gets hurt and we have a guy in net that the GM admitted is damaged goods, it's his job to have a guy in there who is not and not really give a damn about the other team if they want him.
Not really the way to build good faith. You screw them over, they're going to be less likely to help you out the next time around.

Holmgren learned from Clarke...who constantly made moves to build good will.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
chaosof99*

So, let's hope they bring back the inverted jersey for the road:

Old
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
He said that players who came from other teams to us said they used to never be mad about calls and used to never get called for the things they do until they got on the Flyers. Briere said that he never got called for crap when he was on Buffalo and that he noticed a real difference between they way they call things against the Flyers vs other teams. Homer says he calls the league when it is really bad but he tries not to too much. But he says truthfully he feels like calling every day. He also said this Bias was there even when he played.
That's definitely interesting (as was the rest of the post) and I won't dispute what Homer says about his days with the bullies, but as for how the refs are calling things recently, couldn't it just be a matter of timing? If the league has been calling things increasingly more tightly, guys who came from other teams played with those teams when the refs weren't as strict. Right?

That said, and I hate to use anecdotal evidence, but if you compare Crosby's dive from a few weeks ago (called a trip on Upshall) with what happened in the last Penguins game ("dive" on Carcillo ), well .... I guess I just don't want to be labeled a conspiracy theorist. I realize it doesn't have to mean the league has secret meetings where they say "well get them, and Steven's little dog too". It could just be bad judgement by refs influenced by our reputation. Still.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
South Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I have no idea why, but the "Hole Candy" thing is ****ing hilarious. Sure John, I bet you really do love to suck on some holes. I.e.- Randy Jones' hole.

Thanks for this posting, by the way. I decided not to go since I wasn't too sure what it was all about.
I swear, you are a sick individual, with uncalled for crap.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Wait, Steven sucks on hole candy?

ewwwww

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
I swear, you are a sick individual.
Won't argue that. But I still swear you're the man, the myth, the Randy Jones himself.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
South Beach

Quote:
Won't argue that. But I still swear you're the man, the myth, the Randy Jones himself.
You can't be any more than 12.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Kambo

Quote:
You can't be any more than 12.
Dude are you really gonna go into this again? One little mention about your precious Jones and you come running.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
South Beach

Quote:
Dude are you really gonna go into this again? One little mention about your precious Jones and you come running.
It's more about the dirty, filthy mouth on you and why this board has resorted to allowing this. It's certainly not fun to read. At least not by anyone over 12. I came on this post to read about an interesting hockey topic and you change it into garbage talk. Not cool.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Kambo

Quote:
It's more about the dirty, filthy mouth on you and why this board has resorted to allowing this. It's certainly not fun to read. At least not by anyone over 12.
Well thanks for letting me know that hole is a despicable word. I'll now proceed to go wash my mouth out with soap and water.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Unstable

Awesome info, thanks for posting!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Quote:
Well thanks for letting me know that hole is a despicable word. I'll now proceed to go wash my mouth out with soap and water.
Yeah Kambo, **** off with your dirty filthy **** filled **** hole of a mouth

Also, I love how Stevens makes vids for the players. Im convinced he makes cakes now. ha

Old
03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
he does make ****ing cakes, you dumb ****, what the **** is with all the *******s on this ****ing board? You **** **** *** ***** bag juggling ass**** cloud **** **** **** **** donkey **** **** **** stick ******* ass**** ********ass bench
Lol'd Hard

Old
03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Yeah Kambo, **** off with your dirty filthy **** filled **** hole of a mouth

Also, I love how Stevens makes vids for the players. Im convinced he makes cakes now. ha
he does make ****ing cakes, you dumb ****, what the **** is with all the *******s on this ****ing board? You **** **** zipper *** ***** bag juggling ass**** cloud **** cheese **** **** rabies **** donkey **** **** towel **** stick ******* ass**** ********ass bench

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote