HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#74): 3/24/2009 Minnesota Wild @ New York Rangers 7:00pm VS (HD)

Old
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
For the love of... why the hell would we want to sign Gaborik for big money instead of, say, Antropov, who would be cheaper?

Sure, Gaborik is a dynamic player and an offensive force. The problem is, the guy has glass hips and is never healthy. He has played 8 games this season. 8! Think about it.
Wasn't this most recent surgery supposed to fix the root cause of all the problems he's had in that general groin area?

Still not sure I'd throw a big, long term contract at him, but some team might get lucky

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
94now

Torts put his uptempo style in his back pocket for this game and played exact Renney's style. He got Renney's favorite score at the end. Rangers played pretty boring game and got W. I am getting impressed with this guy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:28 AM
pld459666

Big win last night.

Create as much seperatino between us and the #9 seed regardless of where we end up, just need to make sure we win our games and continue playing well.

Need to keep it going tomorrow against Atlanta which happens to be the last "soft" team we face. The rest of the games are against teams that are currently in the playoff picture.

The Montreal game concerns me becasue they could be fighting for their PO lives and if they ever get their collective crap together, they could be a very dangerous group.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Torts put his uptempo style in his back pocket for this game and played exact Renney's style. He got Renney's favorite score at the end. Rangers played pretty boring game and got W. I am getting impressed with this guy.

let me expand. If you really thought that the Rangers didn't try to play uptempo and crash the net and take it to the Wild every step of the way, you're just hopeless. it was a boring game because the Wild trap and are good in their own zone. The Rangers didn't sit back, didn't let up a lot, and kept working until they got their chances. It wasn't pretty, but it never is when you play a team like the wild

Old
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well Gaborik just had surgery that's is supposed to remedy the reasons he always pulls his groin. He sat out almost the whole season because obviously his groin issues have been a big problem.

Now that he has this surgery will the end result be success? No more groin?

Imagine being a Wild fan and have to watch this guy be a complete IMPACT BEAST of a player when hes healthy than get injured over nad over only to get the surgery that remedies the situation in his UFA year and than walk to another team and play a full season on a line with a playmaker like Gomez...

or Crosby.... scarey

or Jumbo.... maybe more scarey

Fair to say a lot of people don't get to watch so many western games. Gaborik when healthy is an insanely gifted hockey player. You put that guy on a line with a bona fide playmaker and he's going to score 50 goals and look AMAZING doing so....

But.... is it worth the gamble?

The thing is the Rangers are one of the few teams who can take such gambles. They have the resources to make mistakes go away if they REALLY get pinched. I have no doubt Sather could sell Jimmy Dolan on Gabby. He can just show him video of the game last year in Minnesota.

It would come down to if he'll sign a short 1-2 year deal.

How many teams would really be willing to gamble on Gaborik on a long term 30 mill+ contract? I dont think any GM would do that... none

But I think several will be in the market for Gaborik for the 2 year deal.

Worth the gamble? Maybe so...maybe not

03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
let me expand. If you really thought that the Rangers didn't try to play uptempo and crash the net and take it to the Wild every step of the way, you're just hopeless. it was a boring game because the Wild trap and are good in their own zone. The Rangers didn't sit back, didn't let up a lot, and kept working until they got their chances. It wasn't pretty, but it never is when you play a team like the wild
So true. The Rangers made less mistakes than the Wild. That how the Wild get ya. If they made mistakes they were playing hard enough to cover themselves....

Its a good win... good practice for the playoffss

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
94now

Quote:
let me expand. If you really thought that the Rangers didn't try to play uptempo and crash the net and take it to the Wild every step of the way, you're just hopeless. it was a boring game because the Wild trap and are good in their own zone.
Under Renney Rangers didn't crash the net? Well, how else did they score? Oh, wait... they have never scored with Tom
Sure, they crashed the net with Renney, they simply did not have talent to score differently due to lack of snipers since Shanahan was not around and Prucha and Dawes, you know, never delivered on the promise. As for taking it to the Wild, they let the Rangers do it. It's their style, they let you take over and then wait for mistakes to capitalize. We would have seen the same territorial advantage should Renney be behind the bench. In fact, we took it to them right before Gabby scored 5 on us. We won because we were disciplined. The uptempo style is relaxed in that regard. That discipline is a Renney's style. He preached it unsuccessfully, but only Torts was able get it across.

Old
03-25-2009, 10:14 AM
ranger_nick

That was not Renney hockey. They took it to Minnesota.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

We controlled 80% of that game. Wild didnt even look like they were trying to score goals most of the time.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Levitate

No, they didn't crash the net effectively on a consistent basis.

I don't even know what you're getting at here, really.

Yes, Renney helped teach this team discipline and a general overall structure, but they often played too conservatively, which actually led to more breakdowns in my opinion.

Tortorella has built on that, but made the team more aggressive and more about taking control of the game rather than worrying about the other team taking control.

So, yeah, there are elements of Renney's system still place, but I certainly don't think Tortorella is running the same system or same philosophy

Old
03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
94now

Quote:
I don't even know what you're getting at here, really.
I am pleased with Torts ability to be versatile. That's it.

Old
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Wasn't this most recent surgery supposed to fix the root cause of all the problems he's had in that general groin area?

Still not sure I'd throw a big, long term contract at him, but some team might get lucky
I believe so. I think the word was this was the Surgery he should have had all along. He had it done on one side of his hip previously, and this finally completed the process.

Still, it seems like a pretty difficult thing to overcome. Similar to Foppa and his foot.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
We controlled 80% of that game. Wild didnt even look like they were trying to score goals most of the time.
Yet Lundqvist saved us form embarrassment of getting tied last minute. That was quite real regardless of 80% control. The Sexiest man deserves more credit for our W. Backstrom didn't impress me. He wasn't shaky, but we've got a better Swede in the net.

Old
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Yet Lundqvist saved us form embarrassment of getting tied last minute. That was quite real regardless of 80% control. The Sexiest man deserves more credit for our W. Backstrom didn't impress me. He wasn't shaky, but we've got a better Swede in the net.
Backstrom is a Finn.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
AJRanger

Just read that Korpikoski only had 5:41 TOI last night, isn't it getting less and less?

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Their #1 center and team leader Koivu is out. It sure looked like it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Just read that Korpikoski only had 5:41 TOI last night, isn't it getting less and less?
Not happy about this. The 4th line had a scoring chance every shift they had. Every shift !?!

Btw, Versus sucks, i'm sure that was said many times in this thread but it deserves to be repeated.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Fletch

Korps is getting less time, but I thought that prior to that he was getting less effective - which is understandable late in the season for a rookie like him. Having said that, I don't think Sjostrom is more effective, but also think that Korps is a better right winger than left winger (not sure how you solve that problem though since there are three better right wingers on this team currently). I think the whole Korps at center experiment, which started game 1, was not good for his development.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Korps is getting less time, but I thought that prior to that he was getting less effective - which is understandable late in the season for a rookie like him. Having said that, I don't think Sjostrom is more effective, but also think that Korps is a better right winger than left winger (not sure how you solve that problem though since there are three better right wingers on this team currently). I think the whole Korps at center experiment, which started game 1, was not good for his development.
Yeah I prefer he play RW, but i'd chose LW over Center anyday.

Old
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Backstrom is a Finn.
He is from Finland. Swedes live all over the world.

Old
03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah I prefer he play RW, but i'd chose LW over Center anyday.
I dunno, I remember him looking quite good at LW when he was playing with Dubi and Z earlier this year.

Quote:
He is from Finland. Swedes live all over the world.
He was born in Finland, he plays for team Finland, everything seems to say Finland, so I'm sticking with Finland.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I dunno, I remember him looking quite good at LW when he was playing with Dubi and Z earlier this year.

He was born in Finland, he plays for team Finland, everything seems to say Finland, so I'm sticking with Finland.
Frankly, he's looked good on both wings, with many different linemates. I really like the LK-Dubi-Cally line.

Btw, I was born in NYC, played US juniors and i'm 100% Italian

Old
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Fletch

he has looked decent on both wings, but he has an advantage from the left side that he seems comfortable in that he's able to cut to the middle and get off a nice shot. Euros, very often, seem to prefer the off-wing. It will be interesting to see where he ends up down the road.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
he has looked decent on both wings, but he has an advantage from the left side that he seems comfortable in that he's able to cut to the middle and get off a nice shot. Euros, very often, seem to prefer the off-wing. It will be interesting to see where he ends up down the road.
I know i'm getting a little ahead, but its gonna be an interesting offseason with all these 2nd, 3rd, 4th line wingers as Sather and co try to upgrade the forward ranks.

Old
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Their #1 center and team leader Koivu is out. It sure looked like it too.

Not happy about this. The 4th line had a scoring chance every shift they had. Every shift !?!

Btw, Versus sucks, i'm sure that was said many times in this thread but it deserves to be repeated.
Koivu hasnt done much of anything the past 18 games so even if he was in the lineup I wouldnt have worried much...2 goals/7 assists in his last 18 games. We would have controlled the game the same with him in the lineup, hes not a Kovalchuk.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Koivu hasnt done much of anything the past 18 games so even if he was in the lineup I wouldnt have worried much...2 goals/7 assists in his last 18 games. We would have controlled the game the same with him in the lineup, hes not a Kovalchuk.
Doesn't mean they werent getting any scoring chances while he was in the lineup, they were. They were getting 25-30 shots a game with him in the lineup, last night only what 19?

We did a great job of limiting their chances but they were nonexistent on offense sans Gabby's few good shifts.