HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I just tried the new FBV skate sharpening

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2009, 09:31 PM
  #1
DJnet65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
I just tried the new FBV skate sharpening

... and I have to say i am quite impressed it. For anyone who has an opportunity to get an FBV skate sharpening I would definitely recommend it.

I'm getting a great glide while still keeping a sharp turn and hard stop. For a skate sharpening I definitely feel like I have more control than I had before. Makes skating that much easier.

Has anyone else tried using a FBV sharpening? What are other people's experiences with it?

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 09:54 PM
  #2
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
what is the proccess of it? im not too familiar with the sharpening too much. do you need specific sharpener to get it done?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
  #3
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 501
I want to try it.

For he uninformed, it's explained in this thread on mod squad:
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=42307

basically, the wheel is dressed with a diamond cutter spinner that can have any shape, not just the arc of a circle. So they cut it so the bottom of the blade is flat in the middle with narrow edges on both sides that gives you the grip of a 3/8" sharpening, but the glide of a 2" radius.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
  #4
DJnet65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
This is a technical document from Blackstone.

http://www.flatbottomv.com/technical_data.pdf

No icing Sports offers this sharpening

http://noicingsports.com/fbv.html


Last edited by DJnet65: 03-24-2009 at 10:27 PM.
DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
  #5
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Been on it for months.

I wouldn't let noicingsports touch my skates if they paid me.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
  #6
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Anyone know of a place in Ottawa that does this? I'm interested in trying.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:41 AM
  #7
Hamilton35
Registered User
 
Hamilton35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
So is there no adjustment needed? In the video the guy just puts the skate on and go. From my experience, this rarely works out.

Dont really see anything special about this. If you suck at dressing a wheel then maybe...

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:50 AM
  #8
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
i own a skate machine(wissota611).
i skate at 3/4-7/8 "already.
after looking over the data there is not much difference when you are using the bigger radius(radii??)like i do .
however,i see a huge difference if you are going with 3/8" or even 1/2".


Last edited by vivianmb: 03-25-2009 at 11:06 AM.
vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
  #9
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
There is a huge difference.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
  #10
DevilsFan38
Registered User
 
DevilsFan38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
It sounds interesting, but my skating still needs a *lot* of work, so I've been wondering if I'd even notice a big difference at my beginner stage, or if it would be better to wait until I can appreciate it more.

And I have no idea if any places in northern Jersey do it, which could also put a damper on trying it out.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
  #11
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
It sounds interesting, but my skating still needs a *lot* of work, so I've been wondering if I'd even notice a big difference at my beginner stage, or if it would be better to wait until I can appreciate it more.

And I have no idea if any places in northern Jersey do it, which could also put a damper on trying it out.
yea i would just use the normal 1/2 inch cut if you arent fully comfortable on all your edges. once you get comfortable you can tweak your skating by switching the hollow

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 02:30 AM
  #12
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Im using a 90/75, think i might go up a level for a bit more bite. Just a tad too much glide. Mind you, still much better then a standard.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 08:23 AM
  #13
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
There is a huge difference.
what cut do you skate with?
and how soft is the ice you skate on ?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 07:57 AM
  #14
speedskater
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Been on it for months.

I wouldn't let noicingsports touch my skates if they paid me.
What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?

speedskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 08:15 AM
  #15
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedskater View Post
What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?
I've used them several times and they've actually been very good to me.

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
  #16
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Noicing has been good to me as well.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
  #17
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedskater View Post
What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?
...Being that he's telling skaters to get their skates drastically profiled upon a questionnaire, no thanks. Being that I personally know two people that were looking to get work done, one a B level player, one a beginner... and oddly enough they both needed the same profile done, despite one being a great skater and the other can barely stop... It's a scam. Everyone needs a slight to medium forward pitch and a compound radius. Why? Because no one locally can do it, so you have to come to me.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:24 PM
  #18
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post
So is there no adjustment needed? In the video the guy just puts the skate on and go. From my experience, this rarely works out.

Dont really see anything special about this. If you suck at dressing a wheel then maybe...
If you're skating on 3/8", say, the only adjustment if you get the equivalent to a 3/8" edge would be adjusting to the better glide.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
  #19
speedskater
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
...Being that he's telling skaters to get their skates drastically profiled upon a questionnaire, no thanks. Being that I personally know two people that were looking to get work done, one a B level player, one a beginner... and oddly enough they both needed the same profile done, despite one being a great skater and the other can barely stop... It's a scam. Everyone needs a slight to medium forward pitch and a compound radius. Why? Because no one locally can do it, so you have to come to me.
So, what you are saying is you never had your skates sharpened there. And the two people you know who "looked" into getting their skates proflied, somehow got recommended a similar profile, but didn't get their skates done either. Hearsay,... wow, that gives me a lot of confidence that you know what you are talking about.

I had my skates done there 6 yrs ago and it made a huge difference, with a regular radius. A couple of yrs ago I changed to a combination profile and loved it. I plan on getting a FBV soon. I have nothing but great things to say about No-Icing, as does basically my whole team who sends there skates there. When I saw your post, I figured it was someone who never used their service

speedskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
  #20
DJnet65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
All I have to say about No Icing Sports is this,

I will never have to have this experience again.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544521

Before i was content with sharpening that were mediocre and ok.

No Icings sharpenings are nothing short of amazing.

After having my runners profiled and sharpened they fixed all my problems and then some.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:34 PM
  #21
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
The FBV is pretty badass.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
  #22
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
All I have to say about No Icing Sports is this,

I will never have to have this experience again.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544521

Before i was content with sharpening that were mediocre and ok.

No Icings sharpenings are nothing short of amazing.

After having my runners profiled and sharpened they fixed all my problems and then some.

Profiling dont make you "better" per se, they just help you improve your game. There is no "game changing" sharpenings. If you can skate well, you can skate well. If you cant, you cant. Really bad sharpenings can hurt your game, but im talking really BAD!

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
  #23
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Profiling dont make you "better" per se, they just help you improve your game. There is no "game changing" sharpenings. If you can skate well, you can skate well. If you cant, you cant. Really bad sharpenings can hurt your game, but im talking really BAD!
once you've had a really GOOD sharpening, every other sharpening is really BAD

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:44 PM
  #24
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
True, BUT they dont make you a worse player. You might notice the **** job, but you will compensate. Unless it is a really BAD, BAD job.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
  #25
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
True, BUT they dont make you a worse player. You might notice the **** job, but you will compensate. Unless it is a really BAD, BAD job.
I disagree. Better skaters will definitely feel bad sharpenings. Even the slightest change will throw someone off.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.