HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

My friends, we were so close

Old
03-26-2009, 08:09 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
You lost me when you compared the Stanley Cup Playoffs to Denny's.

Besides anything can happen in sports, my Alma Matter won the Fiesta Bowl not that long ago and pretty much everyone said the Sooners would walk all over them.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Jarnberg

I want us to make the playoffs for a few reasons. One, you can't win the Stanley Cup without making the playoffs. Do I think we'll do that, no. In fact, I think we'll lose in the first round.

But from the other stand point, the playoffs are a huge moneymaker for our owners and we need our local owners to make as much money as possible, especially with how tough next season is likely going to be for attendance.

Anyone that calls themselves a fan of this team realizes our financial situation. For that reason alone, they should be hoping for playoffs. At this point, I don't care if it pads Poile's first round exit stats. I care more about the owners viability. Will it be a financial disaster if we don't make the playoffs, no, but it will help against future loses.

There is also a very slight difference in our draft pick if we make the playoffs and if we barely miss it. People who try to use the draft pick argument should have wanted us to tank a long time ago.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
you guys are being difficult, the man is entitled to his opinion.

this is going to be a nonissue if the Ducks keep piling up the points.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

More importantly, will our GM ever get off his ass and at least TRY to make the moves to get us out of the 46 percentile?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2126221

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2507503

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2006/08...predators.html

Poile lands Sully for two second rounders

and also:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...predators.html

Seriously your arguement is so flawed it's not even worth debating the rest.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
you guys are being difficult, the man is entitled to his opinion.
True, and we're also entitled to the opinion that his opinion is dumb.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Linking to signings of Dumont, Arnott, etc will not convince me that Poile is a proactive GM. Both have publicly stated that Poile didn't contact them and they had to take the initiative. This is almost unheard of in pro sports, and a prime example of the Poile's passiveness. Atleast he returned their call I guess

The only decent point I've seen in favor of wanting losing to SJ/DET in the first round, is playoff money. But I have serious reservations if if a playoff game or two will have any impact what team is iced next year. In fact, I think it may make it worse. Because Poile & co will be some proud of what the team was able to accomplish (46%), and be so exicted for all the prospects coming through the system. There will be no need to make any moves.

Actually I do hope we playoffs for the remote chance that will win a playoffs round. Also, I'm setting my expectations low early on. But, I think our expectations have already been set after 4 years of first round exits.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-26-2009 at 01:16 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
we're also entitled to the opinion that his opinion is dumb.
So which is it, you have no ability to verbilize a point, or you have no point to begin with? I geuss you are more of a visual person, and you can only talk by posting pictures and videos on a game day thread. It's ok, why don't you go find a me a youtube video of the day in the life of David Poile. I'm really curious to see what exactly he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
You lost me when you compared the Stanley Cup Playoffs to Denny's.
You can insert whatever restaurant you think is in the 46 percentile.

Old
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
predfan24

In your own words you said when is our GM gonna get off his butt and do something. I showed you plenty of instances where he did. You can try to spin it anyway you want but it's the bottom line.

You say we should have done something at the deadline. Well hindsight is always 20/20. We were playing as well as we have been the whole season at the deadline and everybody was healthly. Who could have predicted our top 2 centers would go down. Before somebody comes in and says we should have brought in Antropov, Satan or somebody you have to remember all those guys are wingers. We would still be in a terrible position right now even if they were on the team.

I want to know EXACTELY who you wouldv'e signed last year from free agency that would have been realistic. I see people complain about the lack of moves but I don't see any specific ideas of what they wouldv'e done better.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 02:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
So which is it, you have no ability to verbilize a point, or you have no point to begin with? I geuss you are more of a visual person, and you can only talk by posting pictures and videos on a game day thread. It's ok, why don't you go find a me a youtube video of the day in the life of David Poile. I'm really curious to see what exactly he does.
Thanks for the condescending remarks, they're always appreciated.

This is the third time we've been over this, at least, I can't recall and I'm not about to go back and count. Regardless of outcome, I want to make the playoffs. It's important that the organization DOES make the playoffs for the sake of its fiscal stability and reputation among free agents. Two or three playoff games can make a HUGE amount of money for the organization. If you can't see the value in making the playoffs, first round exit or no, then there's no point in continuing this discussion further.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 03-26-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Not going to that level.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Thanks for the condescending remarks, they're always appreciated.
Ummm. You might to go to your post about my opinion being dumb as the start of the condescending remarks.

Thanks for the picture. Truly brilliant. A picture with a man with his head up his ass. Must be a message board first! And it oh so elegant illustrates your point about <what ever point you are trying to make>.

Edit: I see you took out the picture. We'll, at least you are learning how to have a disucssion without resorting to calling people "idiots" and putting pictures of people with their head up their ass.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-26-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old
03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
For the millionth time, I didn't say I didn't want to make the the playoffs. Haven't you guys heard of a hypothetical situation? If you know the result would be a miserable loss to SJ/DET, would you still want to make the playoffs? That's the only question I've answered here.

Again my answer is NO- better draft pick, more probably that Poile will feel the need to do something this offseason, and we won't add to our reputation of the biggest playoff loser in the NHL.

David Poile, 13 first round exits and counting. It's got to be a record.
Dude, trust me, I am reading you loud and clear. You want to use hindsight to make your decisions and expect Poile to do the same. For the millionth time, the answer is "Yes, I'd rather make the playoffs (and go out in the 1st) than not make the playoffs." It is quite a simple concept.

>>more probably that Poile will feel the need to do something this offseason
Wrong. Whether we finish in 8th or 9th is not going to affect what Poile does this offseason. And if Poile freaks out and goes crazy this offseason, that to me is a sign of a weak GM. Take a look how that is working out for Tampa. Making the playoffs or not has no bearing on the offseason plan, nor should it (excluding if we finish near the Islanders).

>>our reputation of the biggest playoff loser in the NHL
Apparently, you seem to be the one with this complex of a "reputation" of being a playoff loser. You are the only one thinking this. Everyone else around the league respects the fact that we are one of seven teams (1 of 5 if we make it this year) to make the playoffs every year of the past 4 years.

I'd rather have 13 first round exits than 12 first round exits and a no show. While neither Poile, nor Trotz are perfect, they have built this team up from nothing into a competitive team that fights for a spot every year. All while working on a shoe-string budget.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Jackleg: Not sure I've seen you post here before, welcome. And is that Aurora as in Colorado?
Thanks for the welcome, haven't posted a ton on here but I've been a fan of this team ever since they came into the league. Definitely pretty stressful being a Preds fan, haha. I'm a little north of that, Aurora, Ontario.

Quote:
Haven't you guys heard of a hypothetical situation? If you know the result would be a miserable loss to SJ/DET, would you still want to make the playoffs?
This logic seems to be slightly flawed as well. Who says we know the result would be a first round exit? Do you think anyone would have thought Edmonton would make it to the Cup Finals as an 8th place seed a few years back? Why can't that be the Predators? You sure as hell won't even have a chance unless you at least make the playoffs in the first place. I can't imagine what it must be like being so pessimistic...

Either way, great season again by these guys. It never ceases to amaze me how a team that aims to stay just above the Salary Floor (much less just under the Cap) can outperform half of the league season after season. The win over the Sharks is just what we needed too, time to get another win streak going.

Shame about Mason and his 10th shutout. If it wasn't for him the Calder would be all Rinne's.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
in again before the lock.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:46 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Dude, trust me, I am reading you loud and clear. You want to use hindsight to make your decisions and expect Poile to do the same. For the millionth time, the answer is "Yes, I'd rather make the playoffs (and go out in the 1st) than not make the playoffs."
Actually it's the first time you've answered it. The first time you said "how does missing the playoffs greater our chance to advance in the next round? you must make the playoffs in order to advance to the 2nd round." So ya, you totally missed the hypothetical situation part that assumed the result would be a first round exit.

And all this stuff about hindsight? Have no idea how this relates to the topic. I've only looked back at Poile's 13 first round exits. That's not hindsight, it's history.

More power for you guys being happy with the 46 percentile. I guess I'm not as easily pleased.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old
03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
braindead

....and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

With 8 games left, a 5-3 record gives us a very high chance of making it in.

Kings, BJ's and Hawks at home. Win those three

Wings, BJ's, Hawks, Wings and Wild. Win 2 0f 4

Two pair of back to back including this weekend and the last game of the regular season.

Preds have at least a point in 20 of its last 26 games.

Every game is big but the LA game, next, is the lowest ranked opponent yet and the front end of a back-to-back. We need it.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
JacklegJack

It helps a lot that Edmonton lost tonight. Edmonton and Anaheim play each other tomorrow night and given it doesn't go to OT then one of those teams won't be able to gain any ground tomorrow night. Can't afford to lose against the Kings. This is going to be a very interesting week.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:55 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
If you know the result would be a miserable loss to SJ/DET, would you still want to make the playoffs?
Half and half. If we had to play SJ, I don't want to make it. The matchup is just not favorable and we just don't do well against them. (Plus, I don't like their players, fans or announcers and don't want anything to do with them, but that's just me.)

But against Detroit, this year, Hell yes! We might still lose against them but this season's results (esp. winning 8-0 here), and their own questions could be enough to put some doubt in their minds.

Plus, if we get an offsides called, or a goal not waived off when the net is clearly on, and don't allow a goal from the red line then who knows what could happen.

It is a bit disheartening losing in the first round every year, but at least we're there. There aren't many at all that can say they are there 4 years in a row, even less to make it 5 years in a row. Florida, Columbus, Phoenix, LA, NYI, ATL would love to be there for just more chance (or for the first time). We could be like those teams and not make it for 7 years, would the team still be here?

Or we could make the playoffs. Get some bounces, have some luck, capitalize on our chances and pull out a series victory.

I'd rather take my chances IN the playoffs.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Actually it's the first time you've answered it. The first time you said "how does missing the playoffs greater our chance to advance in the next round? you must make the playoffs in order to advance to the 2nd round." So ya, you totally missed the hypothetical situation part that assumed the result would be a first round exit.

And all this stuff about hindsight? Have no idea how this relates to the topic. I've only looked back at Poile's 13 first round exits. That's not hindsight, it's history.

More power for you guys being happy with the 46 percentile. I guess I'm not as easily pleased.
I guess I don't know what I meant by hindsight, lol. Doesn't change the rest of my post though.

No one said we're happy with the 46 percentile. But what I don't understand, is that you want to be worse than that by missing the playoffs, even if it's only for 1 year. I'd rather gamble and lose, than not gamble at all.

I'm sure we can all agree that beating the Sharks last night felt good though

Old
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I guess I don't know what I meant by hindsight, lol. Doesn't change the rest of my post though.

No one said we're happy with the 46 percentile. But what I don't understand, is that you want to be worse than that by missing the playoffs, even if it's only for 1 year. I'd rather gamble and lose, than not gamble at all.

I'm sure we can all agree that beating the Sharks last night felt good though
Its not really a gamble when you have nothing to lose (in other words, we dont have to pay anything... its free, it is nothing but revenue).

It is more or less a bonus. We have a chance to lose our bonus (and see Edmonton, a #8 seed, that it is always possible at any moment to move onto the next rounds)

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
RollingPredFan

Well after nearly ending my life with a heart attack we are in 7th but honestly it doesn't mean squat, we could be out of the playoff position by the end of the night. I would think its even likely... we have to play with a depleted roster at the Joe back 2 back with an angry Wings team waiting for us... Anaheim plays lowly Colorado, Edmonton plays Minnesota, St Louis plays Columbus. Ack.

The next 3 road games I would think will determine a lot although I think it will still come down to the last day.

But every time I think we are done they keep finding a way.... And yes I would rather get in and get beat again in the 1st round than not get in at all

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Pachyderm I

a win today and an oilers loss would make it a perfect weekend...

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 09:39 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachyderm I View Post
a win today and an oilers loss would make it a perfect weekend...
Rooting for Colorado to beat the Ducks as well... I think I need to take a shower, I feel dirty rooting for the Avs.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:38 AM
CrazyBlue21

Blues fan here. I really hope both of us make it meaning all fiive Central teams are in. I'd love to see a 1st round match-up of Preds-Wings and Blues-Sharks. You guys have played them well and they dont seem to be in your heads like they are with us. Same with us and the Sharks. We could get them out of the way since you struggle with them and you can return the favor with the Wings.

It'll be interesting to see how the team responds with the latest injury. When are the other guys due back? I sure hope we both hold ground, leaving Edmonton and Anaheim out. Sucks we dont play each other again though as I'd imagine they would be some really good games given where both teams are in the standing!

The Preds have impressed me lately. I thought they would be a bottom team like us at the end of the season. I was rooting against them but when they wouldnt go away I gave up on that are started liking the idea of all five Central teams in after being called such a weak division the past few years. The Preds and Blues are both winning on pure hardwork not skill...hopefully both of us see it through. I want so badly to see detroit go down in the 1st round, with the Sharks also, by the lowly Preds and Blues! Then all bets are off and we're gonna smoke ya!!

CrazyBlue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Can we really make it into the playoffs with threeof our 5 legitimate forwards out of the lineup? THis is going to be tough.....

Last edited by Enoch: 03-31-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Can we really make it into the playoffs with two of our 5 legitimate forwards out of the lineup? THis is going to be tough.....
what, Legwand doesn't count as legitimate?