HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Draft Day Bos-Tor-TB

Old
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Clip68

vCash: 500
Draft Day Bos-Tor-TB

This proposal is based on 4 things;
1) Boston is willing to lose Kessel due to the huge raise he will be getting
2) There is unfinished business between Burke and Tampa from that wacky salary dump deadline deal
3) Toronto does not win the draft lottery
4) Tampa is not drafting 1st or 2nd overall

At the draft
To Bos; Toronto's 1st (7th-9th overall), 2nd (45th-55th overall)
To Tor; Kessel
and....
To TB; Kaberle
To Tor; Tampa's 1st (3rd-5th overall)

Analysis
Boston - They choose Krejci over Kessel (in a roundabout way shedding salary). They get similar compensation to an offer sheet, and it allows them to get into the top 10. With a lot of forwards projected to go early, it allows them to get the next best defensive prospect after Hedman (Cowen/Larsson/Ellis).

Tampa - Their biggest need is defense, and with them out of the running for Hedman they might be willing to part with the top 5 pick to aquire a cheap Kaberle (Kubina + could be an option too).

Toronto - As the middle man here, they essentially lose Kaberle and one of the 2nd's they aquired at the draft for Kessel and they move into the top 5 of the draft.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Clip68: 03-26-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Major brain fart involving draft picks
Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
You're telling me you can trade Kaberle for Kessel and get a 2nd AND move up the draft?

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
C77

I don't think the Bruins would want to trade Kessel within the division. That could turn out to be a disaster.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Boston does not have a 2nd

&

Kessel is worth more than a 7th/8th overall so why Boston is adding that 2nd makes no sense.

Your deal is advantage Toronto!

Also, Tampa would be better off to take that 3rd overall. Its worth more than Kaberle.

How about Kaberle and Tor 1st for TB 3rd-5 overall+? (TB should add a little here)

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Darth Milbury

Those deals are both ridiculous.

The 7th overall is not enought to get Kessel, let alone Kessel and a 2nd rounder.

Kaberle's market value is not even in the same universe as Tampa's pick (which now looks to be anywhere from 1st to 3rd overall).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Marchy63

I think if Toronto wants to get Kessel they will have to pony up a real big offer sheet. Boston was not willing to trade Kessel at the deadline for a big name player, why would they now for a draft pick? If they trade away Kessel for a draft pick it would have to be either for the first or second overall pick. Anything less would be a huge step back for the team.

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Kencaid

every one who has responded with the fact that kessel is not worth just a first is missing the fact that its part of his assumptions for this scenario.

Kessel is worth a first IF BOSTON CAN'T RESIGN HIM. Your trading a player who will be asking for a lot of cash, and boston also has to resign Thomas, and a back goaltender (Manny's salary can make up the diff for thomas i would think, but the backup will cost you another 1M unless you bring rask up). Then you also need to resign krejci as well. You are loosing 2 larger contracts in Manny and Axelsson (and several smaller ones), but have to resign 3 key players and the fill ins for the other players whose contracts are ending.

Kessel is worth more than a first if boston can resign him, but if boston gets closed to the cap, this deal would be a fair last minute trade for boston.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Marchy63

Kessel is a RFA not a UFA meaning that if Kessel wants to play he has to sign a contract with either Boston or sign an offer sheet somewhere else. With the amount of money that Kessel would sign for the Bruins have stated they will match any offer sheet given to there young players. If someone offers him too much money Boston will receive more than just a first round pick in compensation. This means that the Bruins have all most full control of Phil Kessel and DO NOT NEED to trade him to another team for only a first round pick.

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
every one who has responded with the fact that kessel is not worth just a first is missing the fact that its part of his assumptions for this scenario.

Kessel is worth a first IF BOSTON CAN'T RESIGN HIM. Your trading a player who will be asking for a lot of cash, and boston also has to resign Thomas, and a back goaltender (Manny's salary can make up the diff for thomas i would think, but the backup will cost you another 1M unless you bring rask up). Then you also need to resign krejci as well. You are loosing 2 larger contracts in Manny and Axelsson (and several smaller ones), but have to resign 3 key players and the fill ins for the other players whose contracts are ending.

Kessel is worth more than a first if boston can resign him, but if boston gets closed to the cap, this deal would be a fair last minute trade for boston.
Actually, this is my mistake. I rushed it when I was putting it together. I meant for a 2nd coming from Toronto to Boston. I even have it written down that Boston does not have a 2nd. The 2nd would be one of the 2 aquired at the deadline. This, in essence, makes it comparible to offer sheet compensation. I figured the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. With the 1st being so high and Boston is somewhat "shedding salary", I figured the 3rd could be left out. So in reality it would be....

To Bos; 1st (7th-9th overall), 2nd (45th-55th overall)
To Tor; Kessel

I will edit my original post. Sorry.

Old
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
This proposal is based on 4 things;
1) Boston is willing to lose Kessel due to the huge raise he will be getting
2) There is unfinished business between Burke and Tampa from that wacky salary dump deadline deal
3) Toronto does not win the draft lottery
4) Tampa is not drafting 1st or 2nd overall

At the draft
To Bos; Toronto's 1st (7th-9th overall), 2nd (45th-55th overall)
To Tor; Kessel
and....
To TB; Kaberle
To Tor; Tampa's 1st (3rd-5th overall)

Analysis
Boston - They choose Krejci over Kessel (in a roundabout way shedding salary). They get similar compensation to an offer sheet, and it allows them to get into the top 10. With a lot of forwards projected to go early, it allows them to get the next best defensive prospect after Hedman (Cowen/Larsson/Ellis).

Tampa - Their biggest need is defense, and with them out of the running for Hedman they might be willing to part with the top 5 pick to aquire a cheap Kaberle (Kubina + could be an option too).

Toronto - As the middle man here, they essentially lose Kaberle and one of the 2nd's they aquired at the draft for Kessel and they move into the top 5 of the draft.

Thoughts?
Sorry man, but terrible. Kessel is a 21 year old 30 goal scorer still with untapped potential. We can only HOPE, although it's unlikely, a top 10 pick will turn out that good by his age. Why would Boston trade him PLUS their 2nd for someone who MIGHT be as good as Kessel one day? And don't say salary, because Boston WILL find a way to pay Kessel without losing him.. You always find a way to pay your core players.

Next, the 2nd trade doesn't work for either team. I doubt Tampa is trading away the 3rd overall pick... Tampa isn't winning the cup in the next 2 years, why do they need Kaberle? They are re-tooling for the future right now and a high end prospect in a deep draft is worth more to them than Kaberle.

Terrible from all angles...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Those deals are both ridiculous.

The 7th overall is not enought to get Kessel, let alone Kessel and a 2nd rounder.

Kaberle's market value is not even in the same universe as Tampa's pick (which now looks to be anywhere from 1st to 3rd overall).
I agree about the Kessel part. I messed up and edited the original deal.

As far as Tampa goes, I said it was contingent on them not having the #1 or #2 pick. I think they might give up picking a guy like Duchene or Schenn (they don't need forwards) for a proven PPQB that they are in desperate need of. Great contract value as well.

Old
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Kessel was drafted 5th overall by the Bruins and now we're gonna trade him for a 10th overall pick?That makes allot of sence.

Again Kessel and Krejci will both be resigned,other players will be traded way before one of those two is traded.

And if the Bolts can draft Hedman,why the **** would they want Kaberle?

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

As far as Tampa goes, I said it was contingent on them not having the #1 or #2 pick. I think they might give up picking a guy like Duchene or Schenn (they don't need forwards) for a proven PPQB that they are in desperate need of. Great contract value as well.
Kaberle is not going to get you a sniff of Duchene or Schenn. Not even close. Not even in the same universe in terms of market value, as a matter of fact.

You're talking about a dman who has a grand total of 4 goals this year, and is going to be like -15 at the end of the season. He is also signed for only two more years. There is no way Tampa is trading a pick in the 3 -5 range for that kind of return.

Like many Toronto fans, you vastly, vastly overrate the trade value of Kaberle.

Maybe Kaberle gets you a pick in the 10 - 15 range in this draft, but I personally doubt even that.

Oh, and btw, I could be wrong about this, but I think the window in Kaberle's contract for trading him doesn't begin until after the draft.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Kaberle is not going to get you a sniff of Duchene or Schenn. Not even close.

You're talking about a dman who has a grand total of 4 goals this year, and is going to be like -15 at the end of the season. He is also signed for only two more years. There is no way Tampa is trading a pick in the 3 -5 range for that kind of return.

Darth, you undercut your own argument by throwing out Kaberle's goals scored in posts like this. He never scores goals, his strength is in his passing. If he hadn't got injured he would have gotten his usual 50+ points - for an off year that isn't half bad.

Edit: Not that I disagree with you - I just think pointing out goals scored is sort of pointless for that style of player.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
MLSE

Toronto's 1st
Tomas Kaberle

for

TB's 1st
3rd Round Pick

Thoughts?

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Yay... another Kessel proposal.

Better yet... yay, another Maple Leaf proposal... man it's been nice since the trade deadline. Ah well, let the Kaberle for "insert a huge pricetag here" proposals.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Yay... another Kessel proposal.

Better yet... yay, another Maple Leaf proposal... man it's been nice since the trade deadline. Ah well, let the Kaberle for "insert a huge pricetag here" proposals.
I missed you too.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
bassassin

Quote:

We really dont need a PPQB the PP has been clicking with Lashoff and Murphy, for the past 7 games they have been 33% on the PP. It should carry on for the rest of the season at a good level (obviously not that high), as they finally have got it working for them.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I missed you too.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

No doubt we'll be seeing a bit of each other, some of you Leaf fans really do love your Boston players. Not that I can blame you

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:

Maybe Kaberle gets you a pick in the 10 - 15 range in this draft, but I personally doubt even that.
How can you say that when Eminger got a 1st last year at the draft?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

To get Kessel, Toronto would have to also throw in something tangible. If they made the deal sweet enough, maybe it could happen...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Kessel was drafted 5th overall by the Bruins and now we're gonna trade him for a 10th overall pick?That makes allot of sence.

Again Kessel and Krejci will both be resigned,other players will be traded way before one of those two is traded.

And if the Bolts can draft Hedman,why the **** would they want Kaberle?
You are missing the point on Kessel. The pick will likely be 7th or 8th and a mid 2nd roundpick as well. I explained earlier how the offer sheet compensation would be comparible given the situation. It was based on Boston having their hand forced to choose one of Krejci or Kessel. If they can manage to retain them both, then great. It wasn't ment to be a trade for the sake of it, but instead a way of Boston getting something back for a guy they don't intend on signing.

As far as Hedman goes, I said they would be out of the Hedman race.

Quote:
Kaberle is not going to get you a sniff of Duchene or Schenn. Not even close. Not even in the same universe in terms of market value, as a matter of fact.

Oh, and btw, I could be wrong about this, but I think the window in Kaberle's contract for trading him doesn't begin until after the draft.
This is always hotly debated, because people think that draft picks this high are the next Gretzky. What about the risk of trading away Kaberle for the next Patrick Stefan? Kaberle is a proven NHLer and addresses Tampa's needs more than another skilled forward.

Truth is that probably neither team would do this. I was just making a point that there could be more to that Tampa-Toronto deadline deal.

Old
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
DougGilmour93

Kaberle will probably be dealt for a 1st in thsi years draft (7-20) + top prospect/young layer contributing now.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
DougGilmour93

A 1st round pick (that low, potentially 7th overall) and a 2nd should get Kessel.

Last edited by DougGilmour93: 03-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.
DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Toronto's not even in a draft lottery conversation, be thankful for that.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote