HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

STH "Town Hall" Meeting Report

Old
03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
riskyxxbusiness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Pogo II View Post
If all of that fails we could package Richards and Carter
who do you think we are, the islanders?

riskyxxbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Biron better not **** us over after Paul gave him a second career chance as a starter.

Id like Marty for 4 million or 4.25 million.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Biron better not **** us over after Paul gave him a second career chance as a starter.

Id like Marty for 4 million or 4.25 million.
Biron could have signed a lot of places as a UFA earlier and gotten the starting job, he actually gave us a discount on this contract.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Biron could have signed a lot of places as a UFA earlier and gotten the starting job, he actually gave us a discount on this contract.
he still got like a 75% raise after posting bad numbers as a backup on Buffalo.

Hopefully Holmer gets Gustavsson, but I could also see him going for Ray Emery

Old
03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
His last season in Buffalo he was 12-4-1 as a back-up. His numbers weren't fantastic that season (statistically his worst season with a 3.04 GAA and a 0.899 sv%), but he was winning games when given the opportunity.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
His last season in Buffalo he was 12-4-1 as a back-up. His numbers weren't fantastic that season (statistically his worst season with a 3.04 GAA and a 0.899 sv%), but he was winning games when given the opportunity.
Buffalo was the top team in the league, of course he put up a winning record.

I love Biron but he wasnt in a great position when we signed him

Looks like were after Johan Backlund

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=623631

Old
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Miss Mess

I'm surprised people aren't panicking about the bit where Stevens said Cote is likely playing in the playoffs lol

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I'm surprised people aren't panicking about the bit where Stevens said Cote is likely playing in the playoffs lol
meh he said he's not sure if he'll play. Its not like he'll get many minutes anyway. Its Cote or a rookie so pick your poison. I'd like Kalinski

Old
03-26-2009, 05:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
There's no cap in the playoffs, so they can call someone up to replace him anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Missed this gem on first reading. We've won 40 games this season. Briere has been in the lineup for 7 of them, and scored 4 goals in games that we won.

That's a mighty high percentage of "biggest goals of the season."
It's a very nice gem, one that will send the Briere-haters sulking. And yes, it is a mighty-high percentage, I knew that in making the comment.

Early in the season, against the Islanders, he scored early in the 2nd and even though it was just the Islanders, it turned an early-season swoon into a run that basically erased a poor start (got points in 8 of 9 or something after that). Again, just the Islanders, but the Flyers didn't play all that great in (and lost the previous 3 games) , and he scored the goal that opened the gates to a win...a huge goal in an early season game that would have been just unacceptable to not win.

He scored twice against Buffalo, basically the game-tying and winning goals (if they didn't score a meaningless goal in the last second) momentum-stopping goals...a game we had to win and basically ended the Sabres hopes and notched a win with two very difficult games to come against Pittsburgh and New Jersey.

On Monday, he scored a big PP goal, where we went 3-for-3 against a team that had owned us the previous 3 games, in every facet...against a team we will probably have to go through this spring, and with other results pending that night, propelled us to a win and ultimately out of a playoff race and firmly 'no longer fighting for a spot." The Flyers were within a few points and in striking distance of 5 teams who are behind us if we had not won those games.

These were three (or four) very big goals for us this season.

This Johan Backlund guy, if this is who they want, then I hope they sign him. This is the route they should be taking for a backup goalie next year. He is under 28, so I think it's still an ELC, which is three years of a cap hit less than $1M which is a lot less than Niittymaki will be making next year. If he ends up being crap, well the Flyers can send him to the Phantoms and he can go back to Sweden if he wants, no consequence to us.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
HoverCarle*

28 year old ELC are only 1 year i think

Old
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
ilovetheflyers8

That's sad about Nitty. I wonder if he is aware of the surgical option in this article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ies/index.html and if that would help him at all?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's for sure not 1 year. Jonas Frogren and Fabian Brunnstrom both have two-year deals, but with bonuses included

Old
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm think I'm going tonight, I'll be asking about the goaltending situation, especially Backlund and the possibility of Gustavsson. Anyone particularly have anything they want asked?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm think I'm going tonight, I'll be asking about the goaltending situation, especially Backlund and the possibility of Gustavsson. Anyone particularly have anything they want asked?
Where do they think Ratchuk and Marshall are in terms of development?
Did their opinion of Bodrov being NHL ready change when he was traded in the KHL for locker room issues?

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Ask about Jones
No but really, I don't have any good questions. The one's I do I know they'd fabricate the answers. I'd like to hear what their game plan for the offseason is. But I know they'll probably answer along the lines of, "Well we haven't put much thought into the off season we just are thinking about making and staying in the playoff picture"

Thanks for the offer !

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Hopefully someone will ask a question about salary cap management.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:08 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

What's the plan with Carle? Do they look to dump him or keep him.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:

I pray that never happens. Bringing back Sideshow Bob would be a much "smarter" idea.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:

bad idea emery would implode after one loss in this town.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The questions I would ask, he wouldn't answer, so I won't bother.

Old
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Good Will. Making decisions to your personal detriment just to be good to people is about the epitome of that. Don't disagree at all that we would have been better off if those guys were riding the pine the end of that season.

Sharp asked out because he wanted a bigger role. Sharp and Hitch talk on the phone to this day...there was zero animosity between the two. Sharp just wanted to develop his career elsewhere.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with what you're trying to argue. Nothing. Making a bad trade has nothing to do with your perspective on how to operate.

The KJ thing has nothing to do with good will, it was *****ing about the new system. Kesler was one of the few truly Machiavellian things he ever did. I applauded it.

A whole bunch of crap we subsequently re-acquired?

Sent them back a scoring line winger that we probably could have used on that club after we stole one of their primary players.

Trying to engender good will between Lindros and management...a decision I believe he's since specifically stated regret about. That was a political decision, not one that Clarke really wanted to make. Murray was just another victim of Lindros (Podein and others as well).

Only because you don't seem to really grasp what it is, and how it can operate in a social organization such as the NHL GMs club, or when dealing with players.

Again, completely irrelevant to the claim your attempting to make. I would state that Clarke's desire to remain on good ground with most GMs in the league was a direct hindrance to the competitiveness of this team at times (see Weinrich, Therien, etc.).
Ugh, I agree with Jester.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Alright, I just got back and I'll try to ramble off anything I remember:

Sbisa-everyone in the organization thinks the world of him. They can't say enough about how good he is, and they said that his season is going to end by Wednesday when Lethbridge will get swept by Calgary. They said he would join the Phantoms until the Flyers got to the playoffs, and once he joins the team he may or may not play in the playoffs. Holmgren thinks he's going to end up being 6'4", saying he was taller than Sbisa at the draft, and when Sbisa was in his office to get send back Luca was taller.

Jones/Alberts-A guy called Alberts out in regards to the turnovers, and Stevens admitted that that pairing has struggled as of late. He said that he still believes they can be a solid 3rd pairing, but that they are trying too hard with the puck, and that they need to get back to basics.

JVR-The prospect guys tried to keep saying that JVR had a good year, but they kept trying to downplay the fact that it was a disappointing year. They agreed that he was not being challenged enough in college, and that it was time for him to move to the next level. They said that JVR was a hard-working guy who would be the first to admit that he has other needs to work in in his game. That seemed like a good sign, that JVR was willing to improve.

Bodrov-They seem to be impressed with him. Said that they have tried to get him to sign and to come over, but have been unsuccessful. They said that the KHL is being even more difficult with getting players over than the RSL. They are going to keep trying to get him to come to training camp.

Backlund-They seem to think that this guy can have some success in the pro game. He was mentioned a couple of times, they said that he is going to come over here in the fall, probably meaning training camp.

Gustavsson-This is the part of the thing that disturbed me. They didn't know who Jonas Gustavsson was. I asked if they had had any contact with him or had been scouting him, and they said that they had never heard of him. They said they faintly remembered hearing the name, but didn't know anything about him. I can't figure out how they had scouted and signed Backlund, but they hadn't even heard of the younger, more talented Swedish goalie. This was disappointing, because I thought that Gustavsson had some potential to make an impact.

Bourdon/Marshall-They are happy with both of them. Think Marshall is a very good defenseman who makes the other team's life a living hell, hard hitting defenseman who is a good leader. Bourdon they said had all the talent in the world, and that he has a lot of intangibles. A good hockey mind, good stick and puck skills, and physical. The one knock on him according to them was that he maybe needed to improve on his skating and conditioning. They said that he is a raw prospect who needs shaping, but the talent is there.

Biron/Niittymaki-One of the most surprising things was that Homer believes that he can keep both of them. He said, "I don't see any reason why we can't keep both of them." He has confidence in the both of them, and that he thinks Marty is getting on that same hot streak he got on last year this year. He didn't say much about contract negotiations, saying that they have been in contact with both of their agents.

Organizational Goaltending-They think that Munroe has looked good this year, he may have a future. Multiple times they cited they have some good goalie prospects that they like. They also said "we have some European goalies we like", and considering we only have two and Kovar hasn't been very good, they obviously see something in Eriksson.

The Draft-Someone asked what the chances they take a goalie in the first round is, saying that chances are they won't. This part disturbed me. They said at the spot they believed they would be picking, they didn't see anybody that was good enough. I got the standard "we will take the best player available". Pryor cited the fact that your chances of having a goalie pan out that was drafted in the 1st round is just as good as one drafted in the 7th round. I agree with this statement to a certain extent, but not to the degree that he said.

Salary Cap-They think that the cap is going to stay about the same this year, maybe go down the smallest bit. They are more concerned about the year after next. When asked if they were thinking about unloading one of the bigger contracts, they said that they didn't think that they had to, but if they had to they could do it.

Bouwmeester-I found this part interesting. I'll quote Homer as good as I remember it. "For me, it didn't make sense to pull the trigger. The long-term implications if we would have made the trade would not have been good for the team. We would have had to give up one of our best young forwards, one of our best young defenseman, and plus." The forward part to me means Giroux, and at that point I say no. That also probably meant Coburn, which means that what Florida was demanding was way too much.

Physicality on D-Holmgren is really big on puck-moving defensemen. I could tell that he really didn't like Jason Smith or Hatcher when they were here, as he constantly cited their inability to get the puck out when people brought up the lack of physicality on D. He believed that the team as a whole needed to get bigger, not necessarily more physical. Thinks Alberts brings a good physical element to the team, but the defense needs to get bigger.

The team as a whole-They like where the organization is at. Luukko likes the core that they have built, and that they think they have done a good job of signing that home-grown core long term. Holmgren seems to like where the team is at right now, and so does Stevens. They have kept that core (Richards, Carter, Gagne, Coburn) together and surrounded them with good players to compliment them.

I know that was really long-winded, and I probably forgot some things. I'll add anything that I remember.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
UseYourAllusion

Thanks, that's a solid report. I meant to go, but totally spaced, oops.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Thanks a lot for the report! It was a great read. I don't know how you remembered all of that, I take it you took many notes.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
John Flyers Fan

I was also there tonight ... and since we were split into groups, may have some different info.

Some of the more pertinent nuggets.

They like Bodrov, but sounded extremely skeptical that he will ever leave Russia. twice they thought they had deals to bring him over, only to have him back out. The best chance for him to come over stems from the fact that apparently many teams in the Russian league are having financial issues, and players on some teams aren't getting their game checks.

Ratchuk ... without saying it, they thought his coachin and Michigan St. was non-existant. They've had him working exclusive on defensive play and responsibilities this year, to the detriment of his offensive game ... but they know that part is already there, brilliant skater, maybe the fastest in our organization. they know he'll never be great defensively, but if he can get to average, his offense will make up the difference.

they LOVE Sbisa .. especially his attituse and work ethic

Homlgren's priorities for the offseason aside from straightening out the goalie situation are getting bigger, especially up front, and improving our depth along the blueline .... he specificallymentioned Washington and New Jersey as being much bigger than us up front .... he mentioned our forwards with size, Carter, Hartnell, Lupul, Knuble, Carcillo .... mentioned that while Richards plays big, he's on th esmall side ... and then you have smaller guys like Gagne, Briere and Giroux ..... I got the impression that instead of Lupul being moved in the offseaso, like most of us think, it could be Gagne or Briere ... and I would think Briere, as he's smaller than Gagne ... and Gagne is a home grown talent .... also mentioned that JVR could help us in the size regard if he's ready to play next year, but he doesn't know if that will be the case

tehy all love jvr's skillset .. th eonly question i show long will it tak ehim to make the transition ... they said someone like Sbisa was able to make it in an incredibly short period of time ... it took Giroux 30 games or so with the Phantoms .... and with Bobby Ryan it's taken 2 years or so, bu tnow he's lighting it up ..... everyone is different ... the impression seemed to be that they don't think he'll be ready for opening night next year, but that it's all up to James

if i think of anything more i'll post it later

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote