HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #75 - 03.26.09 | NY Rangers @ Atlanta Trashers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
Staal was overrated by many on this board last year and early this year. But he has been playing EXTREMELY well up until this game. The growth in him has been pretty amazing to watch, but games like these are going to happen.

Staal doesn't have good vision with his first pass out of the zone and Girardi isn't amazing at that either. When Rozy comes back, it is probably smarter to put him with Staal.

Old
03-26-2009, 11:46 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
It's our own damn fault that we lost. Atlanta was handing us power plays all night and we failed to capitalize on several of them. That ****ing stupid too many men penalty in the first was a killer. Nice to see that even with a new coach, this team still takes this damn penalty (although it is less since Tortorella took over..still no excuse)

Simply put, this felt like a game from earlier this year or last year. Once Kovalchuk scored late in the 2nd I knew we were in danger. Valiquette was bad, but this was the last action he's going to see this season as long as Henrik is healthy. Staal and Girardi were just plain awful.

No Zherdev in the shootout was questionable, but I highly doubt he would have made any difference considering the "success" that the rest of our shooters were having.

Maybe this serves as a notice that you can't take anyone lightly and they put their foot down for the rest of the season. Or maybe it's just that we can't feel safe whenever this team has a 3 goal lead.

Old
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Garbage game... these guys fell flat, and Vally has to stop at least one or two of those... two wraparounds? Cmon man...

No Zherdev in the s/o? The hell's Torts thinking on that one?

Old
03-27-2009, 02:30 AM
AJRanger

Last I heard it was 4-1, what the hell happened?!

Big point lost there.

Old
03-27-2009, 03:18 AM
ArtieAnisimov

Torts has to give Zherdev a bit more respect I think. Z gets snubbed too much, but lets hope its for the best.

Old
03-27-2009, 03:33 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Man, how can you lose this one.....that's real tough...PIT on saturday is absolutely a must-win.

Old
03-27-2009, 05:44 AM
NYRSchrute217

Now all of a sudden the Rangers aren't looking so good. Lost 2 of 3 and blew a 3 goal lead. If they want any shot at all of home ice, they must beat Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Old
03-27-2009, 07:01 AM
MountVancouver'94

Sorry Torts but Henry has to start these games. Pretty good chance the two goal lead would have stood up. Rags only have 3 games next week and an extra off day as well. I dont want to see Vally unless absolutely necessary.

Old
03-27-2009, 07:32 AM
94now

Those who think that Rozy's injury was not such a terrible thing, think again. We will miss him in PIT even more so. By now we know how the rest of the Ds can "step up". They just can't handle it. Awful game. We are lucky to get 1 point, agree with Torts there...

Old
03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
Sorry Torts but Henry has to start these games. Pretty good chance the two goal lead would have stood up. Rags only have 3 games next week and an extra off day as well. I dont want to see Vally unless absolutely necessary.
We win last night if Henke is in net. Simple as that.... and it was a THREE goal lead

Old
03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I love Torts, but that was the first gross mismanagement of his team last night in the shoot out.

You gaining nothing by sitting Zherdev in the shootout, hes a proven shootout scorer ahead of Drury, Gomez, Callahan, Sjostrom and maybe even Antorpov. That was just down right silly IMO, and its only right to criticize Tortorella because I bashed Renney as well for stupid personnel decisions just like this.

Thats piss poor. Maybe Zherdev would have missed anyway and it wouldnt have been a big deal, but put him 4th, 5th or 6th and the Rangers might have earned another point last night.

You have to give your team the best chance to win in those things and i thought he didnt. If Tortorella chose to not have Zherdev shoot for no other reason than to play mindgames or he just forgot, whatever... its the wrong move. That was a huge point left on the table last night, even if the real problem was with how they played in the third.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
couldnt agree more. Vally was not good imho. those 2 from behind the net made me want to vomit blood.

we win with Henrik in net, hands down.
I don't know if we win w/ Henrik in net. I really don't. For one thing we certainly don't score 4 goals. Lundy would have never completed that pass that Valley did to set up Drury.

So right there we lose a goal. But Henrik has been letting up alot of softies recently. so you can't assume it that he would have made those saves that Valley didn't. he could have also let up goals that Valley didn't.

Overall we did not deserve to win the game. Girardi looked completely lost the entire game. Staal had maybe his worst game as a Ranger. Those two should never be paired together, especially if you put them against top lines. Both get schooled regularly (especially Girardi) against top players going one on one. They have not mastered that yet. And neither has that great outlet pass. I absolutely hate that pairing.

Valley played well enough tonight where we should have won. We didn't capitalize nearly enough on the PP. Our shootout attempts were horrible. And we were just physically outworked for most of the game.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Drury played well, so hopefully the loss doesn't ruin his Friday night.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

There is no way that Lundqvist lets in that wrap around goal by Kovalchuk. Valliquette was way out of position there. No way that he he should have been that late getting to that post.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sounds like I should be glad I missed the game. Don't understand the hate against Vally though. It's extremely rare that he loses a game for us on his own.

The fact that Kovalchuk has 18 goals and 17 assists in his last 19 games is absolutely mind-blowing.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
turnovers, and lazy play.

i think Torts is doing the right thing here. Zherdev can be a billion times better than he is. but he needs to earn his ice time.
Scoring a goal with offensively inept linemates who do NOTHING on the play. That play repeated invisible games.

When will people realize you don't need to run around erratically fallilng all over the place like a decapitated chicken, to be considered "playing hard'.

The ENTIRE TEAM plays like ****, and Zherdev gets singled out.

Recorded turnovers:

Antropov - 1
Drury - 1
Morris - 1
Naslund - 1
Sjostrom - 2
Zherdev - 1
Girardi - 1

Compared to his 5 shots taken, 1 goal, and E +/- rating. And the goal that was scored when he was on the ice, he had just jumped on the ice on a line change.

Focus on other players when they horribly turn the puck over in the neutral zone or the defensive zone. The guys who chose to poke check and watch the play as the other team skates around them and buries the puck.

Stop singling out the guy who carried the offense all season long.

Everyone's golden boy Callahan played like crap. He opts to pass the puck on golden opportunities to shoot. For several games now.

Tortorella's line combinations and ice distribution are WORSE then Renney's ever were. His stubborn BS lost us this game.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-27-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old
03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Can't pin this on Big Valley, yet another bad 3rd period where our guys look gassed. Is it a surprise the two defenders getting the most icetime were on the ice for 4 goals?

The power play really couldve put this game away and didn't against the worst penalty killing team in the league.

No Nicky Z in the shootout was just awful, Torts is taking this disciplining of Zman too far, let a player play homeslice.

And of course all our rivals win, great night

Last edited by Bluenote13: 03-27-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old
03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
AJRanger

I've not seen anything past Zherdev's goal, but just looking at the fact that Vally made 5 straight stops in the shootout makes me think "WTF?" at our shooters. Talk about wasted opportunity.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
Drury played well, so hopefully the loss doesn't ruin his Friday night.
this gets me everytime

Old
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Can't pin this on Big Valley, yet another bad 3rd period where our guys look gassed. Is it a surprise the two defenders getting the most icetime were on the ice for 4 goals?

The power play really couldve put this game away and didn't against the worst penalty killing team in the league.

No Nicky Z in the shootout was just awful, Torts is taking this disciplining of Zman too far, let a player play homeslice.

And of course all our rivals win, great night
Nope. But that is the problem. Neither are top two dmen yet. Staal one day will be a consistent top 2 dman. Right now he is a borderline #2. he still has his fair share of young player mistakes and gaffes, more than a vet. But he does alot of real good things that makes you forget about them.

Girardi in no way, shape or form should EVER be on the top defensive pair. he is never, will never EVER be a top 2 dman. Right now he is a borderline #4 dman. He is also the most overrated player on the Rangers. He has played like crap this entire year, and he has brought down the play of his partners. In fact looking at Tyutin and how great he has been playing in CLB, it really makes me think that Girardi's ineptness kept Tyutin from reaching his potential. And not the other way around as many people have claimed here last year.

Also I don't think that two young dmen should ever be paired together in the first place. You need a vet and a young player together so the vet can teach the youngin. Right now we have 3 vets, and 3 youngins. There is no reason why we can't match them up better. But to have your two of the youngest dmen, playing top minutes against the one of the top 5 players in the world is just retarded. Morris and Redden should have been against Kovy, the entire time if Torts wanted to keep the youngins together.

Morris(R) - Staal (L)
Redden (L) - Girardi (R)
Mara (L) - Sauer (R)

when Rosy gets back it should be

Rosy (R) -Staal (L)
Redden (L) - Morris (R)
Mara (L) - Girardi (R)

Old
03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Vitto79

Just beat Pittsburgh and all is good in Ranger land. Lose and I am a little scared.

What a difference a game makes and for that matter a Point

Old
03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Just beat Pittsburgh and all is good in Ranger land. Lose and I am a little scared.

What a difference a game makes and for that matter a Point
I can't see us winning that game in Pittsburgh, not happening.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I can't see us winning that game in Pittsburgh, not happening.
Agreed. We suck in Pittsburgh, and the afternoon.

We fail.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
TomLaidlaw

Zherdev - Last 12 Games:

Goals: 7
Assists: 4
(+/-) +7

I wish everyone played as "uninspired" as Zherdev does. Zherdev is the closest thing we have to an elite forward. As a result of our excellent cap management, he will most likely be the closest thing we see to an elite forward for the foreseeable future.

Atlanta dominated us 5 on 5 the entire game. The 3rd period we looked out of gas again. At what point does this teams 3rd period issue become a concern?

Closed Thread