HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM-TB draft day (If TB has 1st overall)

Old
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
davegagnerskid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
How many first overall picks have been worse than Hemsky.
Well the book is still out on Stamkos and E.Johnson, but I'd list these guys as substantially worse players since 1980.

1980 Doug Wickenheiser
1982 Gord Kluzak
1983 Brian Lawton
1986 Joe Murphy
1992 Roman Hamrlik
1993 Alexander Daigle
1994 Ed Jovanoski
1995 Bryan Berard
1996 Chris Phillips
1999 Patrick Stefan
2000 Rick DiPietro

And these guys would a push at best:

1990 Owen Nolan
2003 MA Fluery

**You keep Hemsky unless he wants out. The first overall pick looks to be about 50/50. Most of these guys were considered the creme of the creme as 18 year olds.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

I've said it once and I'll say it again: You don't draft for team needs. You simply draft the best player overall.

If a situation arises in the future where a team is stuck with three 1A centres (a la T-bay if they land Tavares); then trade one or two of them for d-men, futures, etc.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again: You don't draft for team needs. You simply draft the best player overall.

If a situation arises in the future where a team is stuck with three 1A centres (a la T-bay if they land Tavares); then trade one or two of them for d-men, futures, etc.
Unless the drafting team finds both players upside as a equal you then draft by position.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
When was the last 6'6 dman who skates like the wind and putting up great points in the SEL?

When was the player who is the career OHL leading goal scorer, and had 70 goals at age 15?

They aren't as good as Lindros, but they don't come every couple of years. Tavares and Hedman are better "prospects" than anyone in the past 15 years save Ovechkin and Crosby.
That's bull. Remember the polls by Bob MacKenzie where the large majority of scouts (or maybe gm's) were saying that they would take Stamkos before Tavares? Kovalchuk was better than the pair of them, Kane looked a lot better to me than Tavares at the same age, Doughty is already playing 20+ minutes a night and playing well, there have been many guys in the last 15 years at least on the same level as Tavares and Hedman when they entered the draft.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote