HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

sharp turns

Old
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
sharp turns

When I make a sharp turn to the right, I find I put very little weight on my inner right foot.

Is this correct? Or how much weight (say %wise) should i put on it?

I am trying to improve these sharp turns but am trying to figure out is it more my right foot is not directing the left foot due to angle, weight, or both.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
When I make a sharp turn to the right, I find I put very little weight on my inner right foot.

I am trying to improve these sharp turns but am trying to figure out is it more my right foot is not directing the left foot due to angle, weight, or both.
bend those knees .

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im not sure how you are doing it but you should stagger your feet so your right foot should be in front and left foot in back.

you use your outside edge on your right skate and inside edge on your left. you want to put your weight more on your heels. again, your weight should be on your OUTSIDE edge on your right foot and INSIDE edge on your left foot. opposite for left turns

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Phoenix

Yeah i do have one in front, one behind. I suspect that I don't bend either knees like I do when I go the opposite direction (in which i have no trouble). But possibly also that I don't use my right (front foots) outer edge properly.

Old
03-27-2009, 02:55 PM
raganblink

to help you move through the turn faster if its towards your shooting side (read: turning right for right shot left for left shot) I put my stick down on the ice and kind of lean into my stick. whips me around faster and keeps my balance. if your having trouble going full speed and turning at the same time and not losing alot of this speed it will help you alot. something you dont particularly want, though. my juniors coach got pissed at me when I did it and I than didnt have the reaction time to intersept a puck because my stick was being used to help me turn.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Yeah i do have one in front, one behind. I suspect that I don't bend either knees like I do when I go the opposite direction (in which i have no trouble). But possibly also that I don't use my right (front foots) outer edge properly.
you have to really bend you knees and keep your back straight. you may be putting too much weight on your left foot.

Old
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
noobman

Almost all of your weight should be on your front (right) foot.

Don't forget that your torso + shoulders will be directing your body.

As everyone else has mentioned, be sure to get low on the knee bend and keep your back straight.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Well, Noobman is correct. Your shoulds are key in assisting you in the turn.

In another thread, you kind of asked the same question and I responded to you about a Canadien Turn. A Canadien Turn is what several members had already posted in this thread. But. lets review!

A Canadien turn is when you have pne skate on front of the other and you lean into the direction of the turn. Knees bent and the weight should be distributed between both skates equally. However, the weight on the lead skate should be towards the heel and the weight on the trailing skate should be on the ball of the foot.

The lead skate is the skate that actually steer the body in the direction you want to go, and the shoulder needs to point in the direction you want to go. Example: If you wnat to turn right, you lead with the right skate and turn your upper body to the right so that the left shoulder leads first. The more you turn the left shoulder towards center, the tighter the turn. Just remember to lean into the turn and trust the edges that you are using.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.
Head coach

03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
CanadaBacon

Do you guys really put your weight on your heels? Majority of times i stay on my balls (sounds really bad thinking about that statement). If i need to stop FAST, i go more toe and almost 190 my body. I guess its what ever makes you feel more comfortable.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Do you guys really put your weight on your heels? Majority of times i stay on my balls (sounds really bad thinking about that statement). If i need to stop FAST, i go more toe and almost 190 my body. I guess its what ever makes you feel more comfortable.
for sharp turns the weight is suppose to be more on your heals. it gives you better balance

Old
03-28-2009, 12:47 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
for sharp turns the weight is suppose to be more on your heals. it gives you better balance

Gonna try this next game. See what happens

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Gonna try this next game. See what happens
careful not too lean back too much

Old
03-28-2009, 08:38 AM
SWM

I was taught wieght on the balls of your foot in turns, except on the tightest turn..

SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWM View Post
I was taught wieght on the balls of your foot in turns, except on the tightest turn..
We have a bit of a debate here apparently. On crossovers, I know you must start on your heel of the blade. My feelings were always only put the weight closer to the toes for lazy turns or easy, maybe it's just me...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Ragss

Same thing happens with me. If I put my inside foot more forwards it'll dig in a little, but all the turning is still being done by my outside foot. Maybe these guys will disagree, but I don't think its a problem.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
In the immortal words of Victor Baryshevtsev: "Bend knees, butt low".

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Almost all of your weight should be on your front (right) foot.

Don't forget that your torso + shoulders will be directing your body.

As everyone else has mentioned, be sure to get low on the knee bend and keep your back straight.
For some reason I find it difficult to put ANY weight on my front foot! I think its partly because my foot is to angled too straight ie. aiming out of a circle, not inwards.

Do you mean keep my back straight as in 90 degrees to my thigh? Cos I can't see how the mechanics works then in transferring my weight! Or do you mean back straight but can be 45 degrees to my thigh?

Old
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
In the immortal words of Victor Baryshevtsev: "Bend knees, butt low".
victory on ice

my skating coach was just like that guy. probably an even better skater. he was this short russian, hes un real

Old
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
A Canadien turn is when you have pne skate on front of the other and you lean into the direction of the turn. Knees bent and the weight should be distributed between both skates equally. However, the weight on the lead skate should be towards the heel and the weight on the trailing skate should be on the ball of the foot.

The lead skate is the skate that actually steer the body in the direction you want to go, and the shoulder needs to point in the direction you want to go. Example: If you wnat to turn right, you lead with the right skate and turn your upper body to the right so that the left shoulder leads first. The more you turn the left shoulder towards center, the tighter the turn. Just remember to lean into the turn and trust the edges that you are using.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.
Head coach
Ah i think that partly answers what I asked above. Didn't quite finish reading everything before I posted.