HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winning or Politics?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
  #26
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
Where are these elusive franco's that will help the Habs reach great heights.
they all choose to sign elsewhere because the so called Franchopone loyalty and pride doesn't factor much in for players. Its amazing how the media doesn't actually get on the Quebec born players for not coming to Montreal. I find it curious how the fans who want more French players, criticize the team and not question a players loyalty. Every pro Franchopone fan wants Lecavalier (i want him to cause he is great player thats it) and make a stink about it but when Lecavalier essentially shuns Montreal and these pro Francophone fans, its the organizations fault and they still want him.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
  #27
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
You are referring to a time when Franco's used to be more dominant in the league...why is it difficult to understand?
Exactly.

First of all, there are no more than enough Anglos in Montreal to support the Habs alone. The Habs don't need the Francos.

Second of all, Quebec has been on a decline when in comes to hockey talent. How many French superstars are there nowadays? Vinny, Brodeur. That's two. There are some stars like Giguere, Gagne, Bergeron and St. Louis. Then a few up and comers: Letang, Vlasic, Perron. After that, it's a pack of players who are decently talented but not really players you find on championship teams. There was not even one French player on the Wings' roster last year. There was just two French players on the Ducks' roster the year before. How would people react if the Habs only had two French players? I don't even want to imagine.

As of today, there are ZERO French players in the top ten in scoring. Quebec just isn't a great hockey factory anymore. In fact, it's not a great anything. If it were not for Montreal, its most multicultural city, Quebec - with just the French - would be no more relevant than Iowa.

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
  #28
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
Where are these elusive franco's that will help the Habs reach great heights.
Not saying they are doing a bad job right now...the organisation has a fair number of francos right now, both on the team and in the farm.

Drafting a bit more from the Q might be better in that regard. They are doing a nice job of getting Undrafted FAs from the Q in the organisation.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
  #29
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Exactly.

First of all, there are no more than enough Anglos in Montreal to support the Habs alone. The Habs don't need the Francos.

Second of all, Quebec has been on a decline when in comes to hockey talent. How many French superstars are there nowadays? Vinny, Brodeur. That's two. There are some stars like Giguere, Gagne, Bergeron and St. Louis. Then a few up and comers: Letang, Vlasic, Perron. After that, it's a pack of players who are decently talented but not really players you find on championship teams. There was not even one French player on the Wings' roster last year. There was just two French players on the Ducks' roster the year before. How would people react if the Habs only had two French players? I don't even want to imagine.

As of today, there are ZERO French players in the top ten in scoring. Quebec just isn't a great hockey factory anymore. In fact, it's not a great anything. If it were not for Montreal, its most multicultural city, Quebec - with just the French - would be no more relevant than Iowa.
Honestly, Lecavalier production isn't even in Superstar status. Point wise he traditionally falls in what i would call star production. He is usually around a PPG player.

Superstars are guys like Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin who will put up 100+ points yearly

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
  #30
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Montreal should only have English speaking players and staff.
That would be like Toronto, not the key to success.

kent_carlson is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
  #31
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I want the Quebec Nordiques back.

Maybe the "Quebec nationalists" will gravitate and infect that team instead of ours. That includes the fans and members of the Canadiens Media who ruin our team with this ********.
?????????? That's a stupid post. rds, ckac, la presse, 110%, etc. are all montreal medias. quebec has nothing to do with them.


As for the question, I agree with the team decision on this question. Acquire Quebecois if they can help us and at a reasonable price... but the main goal is to win the SC !

tiredman is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
  #32
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
I went to the game yesterday and there were still morons chanting "Carbo." I wanted to punch them in the face.
yeah. Everyone who likes Carbo are morons . That's maybe you who should be punched in the face for not accepting other people's opinion.

tiredman is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
  #33
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I want the Quebec Nordiques back.

Maybe the "Quebec nationalists" will gravitate and infect that team instead of ours. That includes the fans and members of the Canadiens Media who ruin our team with this ********.
I want the Montreal Maroons back.

Maybe the morons with gravitate and infect that team instead of ours. And stop ruining our centennial year.

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
  #34
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
People complain because we currently don't win and because we used to win when we had more local players on the roster. It's not politics, it's because the end goal is to... win.
We also used to win when we had anglo only management. Do you want to go back to that?

I've asked this question a number of times and not one person has given me a straight answer. How many Francos will suffice? For most of this year we had 8. With all the uproar from the Offended Media this amount is obviously not enough. So I ask again how many is the minimum? 10....12...16....20....or the whole team minus one token allo who splits his time between the press box and Hamilton. What amount is the right balance? Please, let us know so we decide whether that amount is lunacy, attainable or just something to keep vague so those few disgruntled Francos will have something to always whine about.

Now this ratio of total Francos is so the supposedly overwhelming Franco fan base can feel at home watching the Habs. The Americans don't feel any pangs of distress knowing that their teams are manned mostly by Euros & those damn Canucks. But we live in a distinct society with distinct sensibilities. So, I'll accept the reason that Francos want Francos on their team simply because they can't bear the thought of watching allos & anglos. I don't agree with the thought but I can live with it if I'm told what the minimum amount will be.

But please don't f'ing tell me that we'll win more often because Francos care more. That's a crock of BS.

Tanguay
Brisebois
Lats
Lappy
Laraque
Begin
Dandenault
Bouillon

Who from that bunch cares more than Kosto, Komi, Koivu, Markov, Plekanec, Price?

Begin cared so much that he asked to be traded. It's been rumoured so did Dandenault. Tanguay has shown the same amount of intensity here as he did in Colorado or Calgary. Laraque will only care if he gets a RSVP invitation. Brisebois may care but it doesn't show through his lack of hockey sense. Lats, well it depends on the night and who he plays with. So that leaves Lappy and Bouillon who despite huge holes in their game leave it on the ice every single game. But those two would play the same way in Montreal, Boston or god forbid, T.O. That's the way they play. So, that's two out of eight. The next person who says that Francos care more than other players, I will personally hunt them down and write " f'ing liar, pants on fire" on their forehead.


Last edited by onice: 03-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.
onice is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
  #35
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
yeah. Everyone who likes Carbo are morons . That's maybe you who should be punched in the face for not accepting other people's opinion.
Opinion? It's a hockey team. Coaches leave all the time. There's no reason to chant the coach's name unless you have an axe to grind. Do you hear people chanting "Renney" in NY or "Hartsburg" in Ottawa? Didn't think so.

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
  #36
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Exactly.

First of all, there are no more than enough Anglos in Montreal to support the Habs alone. The Habs don't need the Francos.

Second of all, Quebec has been on a decline when in comes to hockey talent. How many French superstars are there nowadays? Vinny, Brodeur. That's two. There are some stars like Giguere, Gagne, Bergeron and St. Louis. Then a few up and comers: Letang, Vlasic, Perron. After that, it's a pack of players who are decently talented but not really players you find on championship teams. There was not even one French player on the Wings' roster last year. There was just two French players on the Ducks' roster the year before. How would people react if the Habs only had two French players? I don't even want to imagine.

As of today, there are ZERO French players in the top ten in scoring. Quebec just isn't a great hockey factory anymore. In fact, it's not a great anything. If it were not for Montreal, its most multicultural city, Quebec - with just the French - would be no more relevant than Iowa.
That last sentence (plus some of your other arguments) is pretty pathetic...

Plus the fact that there are very solid local players around the league... Vinny, St-Louis, Gagne, Bergeron, Bouchard, Dumont, Pominville, Ribeiro, Tanguay (!),...

Plus very solid 3rd/4th liners as good as any we got and tons of excellent goalies... it's easy to still be successfull with these players... of course, the tricky part is to get these good players when 29 other teams also are interested... but don't kid yourself, there's still a lot of talent in Quebec.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
  #37
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
That last sentence (plus some of your other arguments) is pretty pathetic...

Plus the fact that there are very solid local players around the league... Vinny, St-Louis, Gagne, Bergeron, Bouchard, Dumont, Pominville, Ribeiro, Tanguay (!),...

Plus very solid 3rd/4th liners as good as any we got and tons of excellent goalies... it's easy to still be successfull with these players... of course, the tricky part is to get these good players when 29 other teams also are interested... but don't kid yourself, there's still a lot of talent in Quebec.
Maybe you're selling Iowa short? What makes Quebec sooo special that it's better than other places? What are we so good at? The fact that we exist doesn't make us better than other places. You have to be good at something. What exactly is Quebec good at?

Besides, the players you listed prove my point. Bouchard is not a Cup-winning team player. He's ridiculously soft and he can't score. Dumont is the type who thrives in anonymity. Ribeiro is a little **** disturber who can't lead his team anywhere. Without Morrow, he's nothing more than a decent point producer. But he isn't a piece to build a Cup-winning team around.

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
  #38
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post

Besides, the players you listed prove my point. Bouchard is not a Cup-winning team player. He's ridiculously soft and he can't score. Dumont is the type who thrives in anonymity. Ribeiro is a little **** disturber who can't lead his team anywhere. Without Morrow, he's nothing more than a decent point producer. But he isn't a piece to build a Cup-winning team around.
In your head maybe...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
  #39
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Opinion? It's a hockey team. Coaches leave all the time. There's no reason to chant the coach's name unless you have an axe to grind. Do you hear people chanting "Renney" in NY or "Hartsburg" in Ottawa? Didn't think so.
Maybe you should remember Carbo was once the captain of this team. A team that he lead to the SC. Or maybe you also don't remember that Carbo lead us to the 1st place in the east last season after many mediocre years... maybe you should also remember the context : the team sucked even more just after Carbo got fired and some people realized Carbo was maybe not the problem ?

And please, that's not because they don't do it anywhere else that it means these people are morons ! It proves nothing in fact!

tiredman is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
  #40
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
I said a French Quebec would be good for nothing. Society today is multicultural, and you can't live without that. A good Quebec accepts Anglos as well as other ethnicities. That is why Montreal is still a great place, and that's why I will stay here: to defend multiculturalism. Why is it that the rest of Canada can support multiculturalism but some Quebecers feel the need to have this "pur laine" Quebec?
Stop the generalization, please.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
  #41
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
In your head maybe...
And apparently in the minds of teams that win Cups too..

French players on the 07-08 Red Wings: ZERO
French players on the 06-07 Ducks: TWO
French players on the 05-06 Canes: Zero
French players on the 03-04 Lightning: Three
French players on the 02-03 Red Wings: Two

Need I go on?

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
  #42
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
And apparently in the minds of teams that win Cups too..

Quebecer players on the 07-08 Red Wings: ZERO
Quebecer players on the 06-07 Ducks: TWO
Quebecer players on the 05-06 Canes: Zero
Quebecer players on the 03-04 Lightning: Three
Quebecer players on the 02-03 Red Wings: Two

Need I go on?
Fixed...

Your argument is such a flawed one, just like europeen capitains, euro players, finnish players, etc.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
  #43
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Maybe you should remember Carbo was once the captain of this team. A team that he lead to the SC. Or maybe you also don't remember that Carbo lead us to the 1st place in the east last season after many mediocre years... maybe you should also remember the context : the team sucked even more just after Carbo got fired and some people realized Carbo was maybe not the problem ?

And please, that's not because they don't do it anywhere else that it means these people are morons ! It proves nothing in fact!
Actually, tons of coaches were once captains of their teams or at least former players. It means nothing. Once they become the coach, they are just like any other coach. The first target when something goes wrong is the coach and that's the way it should be. It's much harder to turn over the whole roster. Plus, who cares? These guys get paid anyways.

Also, the team was playing great yesterday! How does Carbo figure in all that? But even that is irrelevant because you shouldn't expect to undo all the problems the coach caused in one ****ing game!

Plus, they're morons if they think a good coaching record means the coach is good. Michel Therrien got to the SCF and got fired. People were calling for his head this season because he stunk. He got fired. No fuss. Why isn't that possible here?

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
  #44
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,695
vCash: 500
This has been discuseed ad nasum around here, especially of late, and the only thing that comes of it is bickering, name calling and off topic crap.

I got a crazy idea, just talk about hockey, the Habs are in a playoff race and all, it's cool.

montreal is offline  
Old
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
  #45
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
I said a French Quebec would be good for nothing. Society today is multicultural, and you can't live without that. A good Quebec accepts Anglos as well as other ethnicities. That is why Montreal is still a great place, and that's why I will stay here: to defend multiculturalism. Why is it that the rest of Canada can support multiculturalism but some Quebecers feel the need to have this "pur laine" Quebec?
Here is your rest of Canada: http://ca.altermedia.info/societe/un...nazi_3324.html

You honestly believe the Canadiens could thrive with only the english population as clients? People aren't asking for a full french team, but people want a french coach and a few good french speaking players. That's call compromising with the customers who buy the product and i don't think it hinders multiculturalism (on the contrary!).

And btw you should go out more of Montreal, you seem to speak a little french, so maybe go visit the fjord of Saguenay who is one of the most beautiful in the world or the town of Quebec and just learn a bit about your province and its population outside of Montreal.

HF-Addict is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.