HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tight crossovers in a circle

Old
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
Tight crossovers in a circle

When we're doing drills around witches' hats I find that my speed makes it difficult to make tight circles around the hats and I end up doing huge circles. Yet when others do it, they seem to have smaller circles at the same speed.

Am I not using my edges enough perhaps? Or should I be taking my crossovers faster? It just seems hard to make a tight circle without slowing down!

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
When we're doing drills around witches' hats I find that my speed makes it difficult to make tight circles around the hats and I end up doing huge circles. Yet when others do it, they seem to have smaller circles at the same speed.

Am I not using my edges enough perhaps? Or should I be taking my crossovers faster? It just seems hard to make a tight circle without slowing down!
you are not using your edges properly. lean into the middle of the circle.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

you really have to get low

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
noobman

Quote:

How tall are you?

My first recommendation would be to slow it down. Practice your edge work and see if you can tighten your turns without increasing your foot speed. Once you've got that down you can focus on quick crossovers.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Yeah, use the edges more and get down into it more. You'll feel it when you do it right and know.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Well, you can use a Canadien turn for the tight turn and then cross over the minute you come out of the Canadien turn.

When doing circles, the more you lean into the circle while you are skating fast, the more it counter balances the centrifical force that causes you to go outward. If you lean your body into the inside of the circle, you will have to have more faith on your edge. This is going to take great balance. Work on your balance at slow speeds and then increase the speed and increase the lean as you get faster.

Head coach

03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, you can use a Canadien turn for the tight turn and then cross over the minute you come out of the Canadien turn.

When doing circles, the more you lean into the circle while you are skating fast, the more it counter balances the centrifical force that causes you to go outward. If you lean your body into the inside of the circle, you will have to have more faith on your edge. This is going to take great balance. Work on your balance at slow speeds and then increase the speed and increase the lean as you get faster.

Head coach
Very, very well said.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
shmab

you just gotta lean in alot. it should just come naturally. skating is something where you really have to work with the forces involved. thats the only way i can explain skating.

shmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
CanadaBacon

or it could be your steel.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
nullterm

More weight on the front foot. If all your weight is on your back foot (what your body does naturally) you only use one blade/edge. If you shift your weight forward to the leading foot then you use two edges. Takes time to get though.

Look & lean in the direction that you are turning.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Steelhead16

Headcoach has it nailed. How many crossovers are you doing? Crossovers take time and if you are moving then they also take space. Watch what the guys are doing that seem to be making tighter turns than you are. As Headcoach said try making a hockey turn (inside foot forward and on your outside edge and outside foot behind on your inside edge) get low and lean and just make one crossover as you come out of your turn. The crossover just gets your outside foot in a position to be able to make an explosive first stride in the new direction.
Oh, and I am assuming that you're using a stick? If so when making a turn to the backhand side of your stick try putting the blade down right next to the cone and sort of "plant" it. Let the blade rotate but don't let it slide forward. Just turn around your stick. That will rotate your shoulders and what your shoulders do your hips do. Shoulders turn, hips turn feet have to turn. When turning on your forehand side keep the stick blade off the ice and rotate your hands, bottom hand over top hand. The forehand side of the blade should be facing and parallel to the ice

Last edited by Steelhead16: 03-28-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
How tall are you?

My first recommendation would be to slow it down. Practice your edge work and see if you can tighten your turns without increasing your foot speed. Once you've got that down you can focus on quick crossovers.
I'm 5'7". Will try all that.

Old
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
or it could be your steel.
Haha, part of it is my blades, they're a bit blunt. But I know its not all the problem. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Will try out evrything thats been said.

Old
03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Haha, part of it is my blades, they're a bit blunt. But I know its not all the problem. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Will try out evrything thats been said.
That's actually a very significant part of the problem. If your skates aren't sharp, you don't have edges to do edge work with. They won't dig in, and if you lean into a turn too much you fall over, which will keep you from making those turns.

If your skates aren't sharp getting them sharpened is the absolute first step. It may not have anything to do with your technique, just the fact that your mind is automatically processing that you're sliding on the ice when you lean over and you'll fall if you go into a turn that sharp and keeping you from going that far.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 05:01 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That's actually a very significant part of the problem. If your skates aren't sharp, you don't have edges to do edge work with. They won't dig in, and if you lean into a turn too much you fall over, which will keep you from making those turns.

If your skates aren't sharp getting them sharpened is the absolute first step. It may not have anything to do with your technique, just the fact that your mind is automatically processing that you're sliding on the ice when you lean over and you'll fall if you go into a turn that sharp and keeping you from going that far.

^^ bonus points ^^

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote