HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warrior Sticks

Old
03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Warrior Sticks

I recently broke by Vector, and I want to go back to using Warriors. My best shot is my wrist shot, but I also have a good low slap shot. I think I want to either get the Kovalev/Robitaille or the Draper curve. Which one should I go with? Also, which stick and grip. How good is the nipple grip as compared to the clear? I'm thinking the Dolomite with nipple grip, but I'm considering the Mac Daddy and Kronik with and without nipple grip. If anyone has used these sticks, please tell me if they were any good.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
i think with the shots you take, the dolomite is the stick you probably want. its tapered so you should be able to get those shots off quick. as far as the blade, what pattern was your vector? i like the draper pattern, but thats my prefernce. i cant really tell you which you would like. i have a dolomite clear, again its prefernce whether with the grip too

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I used to have a Dolmite, and my Vector was a Thornton, which is fairly similar to a Draper. I guess it really comes down to what feels right for you.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Nosebleed Section

I had a mac daddy without the gip and it was terrible for me. It felt rediculously slippery, I don't use grip sticks normally but it just felt really off. As far as the rest of the stick goes it was wicked light and nicely balanced with a low kickpoint, but another weird thing was the blade was super thin and felt fragile like it was flexing and twisting with my shots.

So I'd recomend grip whatever you decide. And I have heard nothing but good about the dolemite especially for being a cheaper more price point stick.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:23 AM
CanadaBacon

If you like broken sticks and empty wallets, Warrior is definetly your brand.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Having used multiple Warrior sticks and Dolo2 blades, I would strongly disagree.

The Warriors I've owned and used are tanks. The only one I've ever broken was a Dolo2 blade, and that was three weeks after slamming across a squared metal corner support.

To the OP - If you want a good Warrior go with the Dolomite. The Mac Daddy is a nice stick but it's a True-1 stick. If you break the blade you can't replace it.

The Draper is more open then the Thornton. I've used both. The Robitaille is closer to the Thornton. Grip and all that is personal preference.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Warrior sticks have been tanks for me too, love the dolo.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

yea me warriors, ak27 and dolomite, have been great

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
abe jr

vCash: 4690
Quote:
false.

I really like the Vanek curve.

abe jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
True...A guy I play men's league with has broken 6 this year...and he rarely broke Easton's in the past...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I use to have a Sakic curve(which like many have noted that it is like a Draper curve) but I recently switched to the Kovalchuk for my Dolomite. I don't have any problems making saucer or backhanded passes/shots off.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
190Octane

I have horrible luck with warrior/inno, they are good sticks but I manage to break them very quickly whenever I buy one.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Have Smyth & Kovalchuk Warriors and they are very durable. I went through Eastons like crazy. Have heard the same thing in the locker room that guys think the Warriors break too easy, it must depend on your style of play cause it seems pretty random.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Saved*

I've just bought my Warrior Dolomite. I was going to pick up an AK27, but by the time my LHS gets the flex I want, and I buy a blade, it's going to cost the same anyways, so I got the Dolomite knowing that when it breaks, I'll use it as a shaft.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:37 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Have Smyth & Kovalchuk Warriors and they are very durable. I went through Eastons like crazy. Have heard the same thing in the locker room that guys think the Warriors break too easy, it must depend on your style of play cause it seems pretty random.
Well you know I'm almost as big of an a-hole as you when I play.

I had a Warrior shaft blow up on me in two places in the second game I used it. I had bad luck with Innos though also for some reason but not with Easton (knock on wood).

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
CanadaBacon

If you have luck with your stick lasting long thats awesome because they are fantastic sticks.

I personally have seen A LOT more Warrior sticks explode and hear about their shady longevity more then any other brand.

But if you can make them last then grab one (or get a R10 and see what a real stick can do)

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 03-27-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling sucks tonight
Old
03-27-2009, 05:10 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Yeah I bought a Dolomite last year. I normally buy $100 sticks, but decided I would try a Warrior cause they seemed a lot tougher. It lasted 5 or so games. Broke the shaft when I lifted a guys stick. I was not very impressed. I stick to Sher-Wood's now. They are the best bang for buck IMO.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
evgeni71

Didn't want to make a new thread...

Has anybody tried the 09 AK27 shaft? It has a brand new paint job, but I'm not sure if Warrior made any technical changes, if at all. Here's a link.

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/Merchan...de=S_Shafts_SR

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
Well you know I'm almost as big of an a-hole as you when I play.

I had a Warrior shaft blow up on me in two places in the second game I used it. I had bad luck with Innos though also for some reason but not with Easton (knock on wood).
Only thing I can say is I don't have a slap shot and rarely use my 1 timer. The guys who said Warriors suck are gold level ice players with huge slap shots. They seem to prefer Easton. But, I've broken a Stealth passing the puck and would routinely break SL's at the heel on wrist shots. So far the Warrior sticks haven't even shown much cosmetic damage much less the usual wear and tear. The only thing that's pissing me off is these fing stick companies keep blowing out my patterns (Gaborik & Smyth). I got the Dolomite Spyne Kovalchuk and it's holding up OK, not as well as the Smyth MacDaddy but that's heavier and grip.

Old
03-27-2009, 11:43 PM
CanadaBacon

Whats gold level ice players? I have seen a hell of a lot explode after loading a wrister.

Once again if you can make them last, go for it. Great sticks.

Old
03-28-2009, 12:46 AM
shmab

if i was playing hockey in a pickup league i couldnt justify winding up and taking a full on slapshot with a 200$ stick, i just couldnt justify it. you cant really feel any difference between a 80$ 1 piece and a 200$ 1 piece and trust me i've tried them ALL. you people are being hosed.

shmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Whats gold level ice players? I have seen a hell of a lot explode after loading a wrister.

Once again if you can make them last, go for it. Great sticks.
The guys who I've heard say the sticks suck are the really good players I've played with. On the other hand if you're in the beginner league you probably don't break too many sticks. So I don't think anybody can just lay down a blanket statement saying Warrior sticks suck. If you buy 2 and they break quickly try another brand. You could be using a stiffness that is too low. You could be tomahawk chopping guys. Too many variables. I broke Eastons pretty easily so I made the switch to Warrior and neither stick has broken. So, I'll stick with Warrior. Pretty simple idea.

Old
03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmab View Post
if i was playing hockey in a pickup league i couldnt justify winding up and taking a full on slapshot with a 200$ stick, i just couldnt justify it. you cant really feel any difference between a 80$ 1 piece and a 200$ 1 piece and trust me i've tried them ALL. you people are being hosed.
If you're holding back with one stick and not the other it's not a viable comparison.

I can feel the difference, but I don't buy the $200 sticks. A $200 stick is an $80 stick in two years. Anyway, my tapered setup is equal to a high end stick but I only about $90 for it.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
RaoulDuke2k

The weight seems like the biggest difference from a hi to lo end stick.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Yeah I bought a Dolomite last year. I normally buy $100 sticks, but decided I would try a Warrior cause they seemed a lot tougher. It lasted 5 or so games. Broke the shaft when I lifted a guys stick. I was not very impressed. I stick to Sher-Wood's now. They are the best bang for buck IMO.
Did you send it back for your refund? If it breaks in the first 30 day they'll send you another for free--happened to me. They actually upgraded my broken Shogun stick to a Dolomite with an imperfect paint job on it. I was very happy.

Also TotalHockey had them online sale recently--clearing out certain models. I paid around $120 I think.

I currently use to Dolomite Warriors, both the the Smyth curve. I play D prefer a stick with a low lie. One is a 75 and the other is an 85--my shot (not great to start with) is MUCH better with the Warrior sticks. I grew up using the old Sherwood featherlite and now I'm totally hooked on the Warrior line.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote