HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes @ Devils...the countdown to fail is on!

Old
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Damn I had to miss the last 10 minutes of the game.. can't believe we came back. This team is unreal right now.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:58 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidQueen View Post
Until Chairman Mo wins the Cup in 6 games and beats Detroit to do it, Lavi will always > him.

Show me the trophy.
Need to give Chairman a break there. He would certainly do that, but he is missing a key component to make this team a contender.
We don't have Marek Malik cementing our blue line.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Wards Save

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

A big two tonight. No masts on the horizon - full speed ahead.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I honestly started to believe that tonight would be more of a moral victory than a scoreboard victory, then this team showed why exactly they were on their way to their sixth straight victory. At some point, in the last month or two, the complacent Carolina Hurricanes that we've had to suffer with the last couple of years were finally put to rest and the hungry Carolina Hurricanes of '05-'06 finally reappeared after an extended vacation.

If I had one criticism, it would be that there really seems to be a severe lack of chemistry between LaRose/Whitney and Jokinen. Almost to the point where I would consider moving Brind'Amour back up to the second-line center position until Cullen's return. Whitney / Brind'Amour / LaRose have shown chemistry in spot duty together in the past, and there could be some offensive potential when you pair Jokinen's passing with Eaves' and Samsonov's shooting on the third-line.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Show me the trophy.

Ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul_Maurice.jpg‎ (38.4 KB, 18 views)

Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
If I had one criticism, it would be that there really seems to be a severe lack of chemistry between LaRose/Whitney and Jokinen. Almost to the point where I would consider moving Brind'Amour back up to the second-line center position until Cullen's return. Whitney / Brind'Amour / LaRose have shown chemistry in spot duty together in the past, and there could be some offensive potential when you pair Jokinen's passing with Eaves' and Samsonov's shooting on the third-line.
I agree with your criticism, but i wouldn't change a thing.

Brind'Amour has so much chemistry with Samsonov, i wouldn't break it. That shift at the end of 2nd period was a thing of beauty and they keep having one or two of those pretty much every game.

No need to break the line, give them more ice time instead, and decrease Jokinen's line ice time until Cullen is back. We can afford the luxury of doing so.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Ok.
lol, white man make joke!

Let me be serious for a moment here: I may grouse about the Great Helmsman, but a lot of that comes from having waited eight years for the Great Leap Forward, only to get dumped on because the org values loyalty and excuses over excellence and accountability.

Has the team been playing better with Chairman Mo back? Yes. Am I happy with it? Of course. But I want results. I want a Cup. That's the bar that was set by Lavi, even if it was followed by a two-and-a-half season cruise on the failboat. Until Paul Maurice meets that standard, I cannot and will not accept that he is a better coach than Peter Laviolette.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
lol, white man make joke!

Let me be serious for a moment here: I may grouse about the Great Helmsman, but a lot of that comes from having waited eight years for the Great Leap Forward, only to get dumped on because the org values loyalty and excuses over excellence and accountability.

Has the team been playing better with Chairman Mo back? Yes. Am I happy with it? Of course. But I want results. I want a Cup. That's the bar that was set by Lavi, even if it was followed by a two-and-a-half season cruise on the failboat. Until Paul Maurice meets that standard, I cannot and will not accept that he is a better coach than Peter Laviolette.
Well you know AQ, there have been a lot of coaches that have won it all that haven't been worth the shine on their shoes. Bob Hartley is a prime example. Mike Keenan is another for me. Glen Sather on the back of Gretzky and Messier, etc.

When it comes to one time winners, circumstances can dictate that these coaches may have had a once in a career run to glory that they may never replicate even with the pieces in place to do so. Do I think Laviolette is an awful coach? I do not at all. Do I think he lost the room? I really do. The core was too young, the veteran leadership too vacant, and the accountability too low for guys like Staal who needed that hard ass kick in the pants by either Maurice or Francis that has taken his game to another level.

I don't want to come off as too "Pro-Mo", here but you have to respect what the man has done with the team. I think he was too young the first time around to really enforce a lot of the ideology that he had because he was just too young to be respected as a hockey mind. I think his little adventure in Toronto improved him as a coach and allowed him to really tinker with the limits of his system and really define his style as a coach.

Laviolette had the charisma, he had the "never panic" attitude about his game. He never lost his composure or perspective about the season but he was a little too..... vanilla in terms of truth telling about the team and Mo's candid nature has been a welcome addition here. I think that a few guys are happy that Maurice doesn't wait until a player screws up until he shows them what they're doing wrong. I think he's a better teacher than Laviolette where as Laviolette was a better game manager. He always had a knack for taking a timeout at the right time or switching goaltenders at the right time or putting together a line that jumped straight into chemistry. The problem is that he didn't adjust to what he was given in terms of talent and was far too rigid in his system when injuries dictated that he slow the pace down. When you play at 95 MPH, people are going to get hurt. It's an exciting style to watch, but that is the truth of the matter. I think Laviolette was as culpable for those injuries than anybody with his emphasis on tireless forechecking and positioning be damned attitude.

All in all, I think the standard of expecting Maurice to match Laviolette in bringing a Cup or being a failure is a little much. I said earlier in the year that i'd stand by Maurice to be back next year if he got this team into the playoffs, which at that time seemed borderline kooky. I still stick by that and hope he is returned should we make it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 08:45 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
We're on a 6 game winning streak though, in my opinion the last thing we should be doing is shuffling up lines.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

vCash: 50
I agree and was about to post the same outlook that Vagrant pointed to. Not to take anything away from Laviolette, but there have been a lot of coaches who have won Lord Stanley only to fall into the ashes and never do it or come close again. There are a lot of coaches past and present with no cup ring that I would take over coaches past and present with a cup ring.

It is a very tough task and can be a touchy subject to say this coach is better than that coach, that coach is better than this coach. As Vagrant said and I was about to, there are a lot of coaches with a cup ring that arent necessarily better than one without that cup ring in my opinion. Would I take John Tortorella over Darryl or even the more unproven Brent Sutter? There will be a lot of people that will, but for me, no way. Would I take Bob Hartley over Lindy Ruff? Some would, but not me. Would I take Mike Keenan over the late Roger Neilson? On a personal note, i'd take Neilson. But that is just me. Mark Crawford or Pat Quinn? Myself, I would take Quinn. Sometimes one cup ring doesn't justify the whole as a head coach or what they have to offer.

That isn't taking away anything from what Laviolette did with this franchise. I have said it a million times, I will always remember and respect what Peter Laviolette did. He is a good coach, a good man and he as a coach will always have a spot with me as a fan that will never, ever be forgotten. What he did in 2005-2006 for me as a fan was simply magical.

I don't think anybody ever said (that I can remember, maybe they did) that Paul Maurice was a better coach than Peter Laviolette. All I ever pointed to was the fact that right now, today, in my own opinion, Paul Maurice is the better suited head coach for this team based on how he preaches the game and his philosophy. Like I said, it wouldn't have mattered to me if the new coaches name was the easter bunny, so long as this team played a respectible 2-way game. They are doing just that and it just so happens the man leading the way behind the bench is Paul Maurice. Call me happy. It wouldn't have mattered to me if Laviolette was the man that turned the team around, if he had of tinkered with his system and preached a bit different philosophy it may have worked, who knows. It is what it is.

Last edited by Mossy Oak: 03-29-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Scorvo

solid game, upset I didn't get to see it. Lets keep it up on Thursday!

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote