HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Call Out Refs

Old
03-29-2009, 10:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
It is Lundqvist's job to stop the puck, whether or not his team is shorthanded. He is just offering up excuses. Good teams (and by extension good goalies) are capable of overcoming poor refereeing.
That's an amazingly simplified response.

It comes down to flow and momentum. When you're down a man for five minutes (and I know they called a penalty on the Pens in that time) that's time taken away from developing offense.

03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
hockeydadx2*

One thing I will say about Avery: I was at the game, and that time in the first period when Avery got knocked down after the whistle in front of the net by (?I forget....Gill?), I turned to my buddy and said, if that wasn't Avery, it would be two minutes. So I do think you guys have the right interpretation there. The Crosby noncall happens every game, though.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The Rangers were a step behind all day yesterday and largely outclassed by the talent of the Penguins. Dont get me wrong, Tortarella's system is fun and whatnot, but games like yesterday are where I actually miss Renney's system. Whats the sense in getting into a track meet with the Penguins, who possess 2 of the top 3 forwards in the entire NHL??

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
One thing I will say about Avery: I was at the game, and that time in the first period when Avery got knocked down after the whistle in front of the net by (?I forget....Gill?), I turned to my buddy and said, if that wasn't Avery, it would be two minutes. So I do think you guys have the right interpretation there. The Crosby noncall happens every game, though.
Its going to take a hell of a lot longer than a month for Avery's prior reputation to be erased in the minds of the officials. That just comes with the territory. To Avery's credit, he hasnt complained about it once.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
shout2007

I am a die hard 40 year watching Ranger fan who screams at the refs every night because they truly suck most of the time. I will admit the 3 local team on a whole get **** calls all the time, I watch alot of hockey. Yesterdays game was a disgrace for the league. At least 3 times the Rangers were called for terrible penalties and immediately there was a makeup call by the refs.

As far as Sean avery is concerned, he has made his bed and we all knew this when we got him back. But enough is enough already with the non calls against him. I am praying he doesnt get seriously hurt before they stop ignoring this.

The Colton Orr call in my opinion was just one of the worst calls I have seen in my life. Though I do not blame the refs for this I blame the league. Please correct me if I am wrong but originally on the play there was no call. One of the linesman saw it and told the Ref and when a linesman makes a call it must be a 5 min major. This rule needs to be adjusted, 2 minutes for interfernce there would have been fine since that was what it was. And you saw exactly 4 seconds after Orr's call they made a makeup call.

Finally I hope these last two games do not cost us from seeing them in the playoffs.

shout2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
I can't even watch the Rangers play in Pittsburgh anymore it's come to that. Especially a national tv game forget it. Hey Eddie O Pitt fired you stop kissing ass you got your ring from us.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What the league needs to is establish some form of checks and balances.

Give the closer referee the chance to overrule a call from a futher away.

Make 5 minute majors unanimous.

Give a senior referee the ability to overrule a call.

Something. Anything.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:34 PM
BleedBlue4491

after the blackhawks game, I became furious with the overkill of calls.
Its not just that its onesided, its that there are too many soft calls. It takes all of the fun out of the game if out of a 20 minute period, 10 minutes of it are special teams. I understand that some thigns need to be called, but its kind of like the whole idea of banning fighting... theyre trying too hard to regulate the game.
Just let them play.

BleedBlue4491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Something. Anything.
I agree with you that the league needs to have balance w/ their officiating but you can't give a senior ref the ability to overrule a call. That will turn into the worst idea ever for the NHL. Could you imagine if a head ref overruled a call from across the ice which resulted in your team going back to a 5 on 5?? What if Crosby got an overrule.. how long until "conspiracy" is thrown around immaturely once again? What if it happened in a playoff game & changed the entire outlook of a game?? This thread would be a lot worse.

I just think the NHL really messed up w/ the new rules. You can literally call interference 10 times a game if they wanted to. When it's called.... then you can compare it to 100 different times it was not called.

They aren't as bad as the NFL w/ interpreting rules.. but it's getting there.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:

Something. Anything.
Good points / ideas............the NHL has so many stupid ideas about changing the game............they should really concentrate on making it a contest between two teams.........without any B.S. help. As a Devs fan, I'm not even looking forward to Mondays game after seeing the NHL this weekend.

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Loto68

Quote:

Something. Anything.
Funny thing about that, from what I have been able to discern just watching games, it is often the younger refs that come to OUR defense.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:20 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

As happy as I am that guys can't hook and hold all day anymore, it's really getting to be almost as bad with the way the new rules are being instituted. At least in the old days it was just a physical struggle between two groups of men. Now it's getting to the point where the NHL is pretty much a special teams league, where the strength of the PP and PK are the most important things a team has. And with the inconsistency of the officiating, there's no telling if having a good PK will be enough if you spend half the game killing penalties.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I can't even watch the Rangers play in Pittsburgh anymore it's come to that. Especially a national tv game forget it. Hey Eddie O Pitt fired you stop kissing ass you got your ring from us.
Half of me would rather see The Rangers miss the playoffs entirely rather than play any playoff road games against the Penguins. I literally blew a gasket yesterday...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:

Something. Anything.
Wouldn't the ability to call a "makeup call", which occurred, be considered a check and balance?

Hell Yeah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

btw, in terms of time, PPs were 7 to 3 (13:46 to 5:56). Which is not as horrid as 12 to 3, but still bad in itself. That's still 2:19 of PP time for Pittsburgh for every 1:00 that the Rangers got.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeah!!! View Post
Wouldn't the ability to call a "makeup call", which occurred, be considered a check and balance?
Two wrongs make a right now? Wow....

Old
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not to me. Especially when the make up call is a bad call too.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:
Not to me. Especially when the make up call is a bad call too.
Unfortunately the game involves humans, and therefore is prone to the mistakes of humans making split second judgment calls .

Outside of simulating games on Nintendo or booth reviews of every call, not sure anyone is ever going to be satisfied.

Hell Yeah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Plus even with a makeup call. That's still a 3 minute major. Meaning if the Pens could have scored 5 times in 3 minutes if they were able to. Big difference. Also it forces the teams to play 4 on 4 and then 5 on 4 when it should have been 5 on 5 for those 5+ minutes. The whole 2nd half of the 2nd period and the 3rd was just a bs penalty feast and it killed any flow that the game had.

Personally I think that any 5 minute major should have to be reviewed by the booth to see that if something that looked like a 5 minute major truly deserved one.

I remember a few games ago when Antropov got crosschecked in the head and I think nothing was called on that either. That is something that warranted a 5 minute major and instead it wasn't called at all. It's really complete nonsense with these refs and it makes it so hard to take this league seriously.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 03-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Unfortunately the game involves humans, and therefore is prone to the mistakes of humans making split second judgment calls .

Outside of simulating games on Nintendo or booth reviews of every call, not sure anyone is ever going to be satisfied.
Not asking for everyone to be satisfied, just for a certain level of competence that goes beyond saying "****, we ****ed up, we had better **** up again to make everyone happy."

Old
03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

I remember a few games ago when Antropov got crosschecked in the head and I think nothing was called on that either. That is something that warranted a 5 minute major and instead it wasn't called at all. It's really complete nonsense with these refs and it makes it so hard to take this league seriously.
I think he got a 10 minute misconduct for that play, wasn't that the Braydon Coburn play? I remember arguing with my flyers friend about it. He said it wasn't that bad because he got him with the glove not the stick. Or how about both hits from Richards two weeks ago on Dubinsky and Zherdev, they looked the same as the Orr hit but no one got injured.

Either way, the biggest problem is the inconsistencies in the officiating. As the ColePens said when interference is called once you see the same play throughout the game and no call. If Orr was an intent to injure what about Orpik on Drury? I thought kneeing was generally looked upon negatively in this league because it can cause serious injury.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I'm pretty sure your thinking about the Flyers game at the Garden and I think the refs definitely called something on that play.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
As happy as I am that guys can't hook and hold all day anymore, it's really getting to be almost as bad with the way the new rules are being instituted. At least in the old days it was just a physical struggle between two groups of men. Now it's getting to the point where the NHL is pretty much a special teams league, where the strength of the PP and PK are the most important things a team has. And with the inconsistency of the officiating, there's no telling if having a good PK will be enough if you spend half the game killing penalties.
This is the truth behind the big illusion the NHL is trying to propagate. 5 on 5 scoring hasn't increased at all and the game hasn't really opened up the way everyone thinks it has. It's just that the amount of Power Play time has increased.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm glad the team is speaking out about this. Unfortunately I'm sure the whole organization will be fined, but good for them. I actually think the bullying of Avery was MUCH worse in the first couple of games (the game at home against Boston and the game in Philly were complete and utter disgraces), but it still goes on nevertheless.

The Rangers have been treated like crap for years by the referees. It's never changed. If that makes me sound like I'm whining, fine, but when you watch the team on a daily basis, you certainly begin to feel like it's not an even playing field at certain times.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:23 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I'm pretty sure your thinking about the Flyers game at the Garden and I think the refs definitely called something on that play.
Yeah, Coburn got the game misconduct.

But yeah just dropping in to say I thought you guys got screwed too.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote