HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Higgins to the Islanders

Old
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
the habs aren't trading higgins to the islanders and if wang doesn't get his money the islanders will be in KC in 2010 anyway
Quick.Look in your crystal ball and tell us what the powerball numbers in the DC lottery are gonna be

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Patrick96

Higgins had a larger trade value last season and early this season, he's had an off year and would most likely garner a late 2nd round pick.
I think a more interesting trade proposal would include the Bruins & the Habs.
Depending on how much Higgins wants to get paid in RFA he could be dealt to the Bruins.
Bruins trade:
The negotiating rights one of their RFA's (Krejci/Kessel) if they can't afford to resign one or the other or trade Patrice Bergeron's 4.75mill cap hit
to the Habs for
Chris Higgins negotiating rights.
Under the assumption that his cap hit will be no more than 3mill seeing as how he has been playing HORRIBLY this season but could become a gem in Boston.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Higgins had a larger trade value last season and early this season, he's had an off year and would most likely garner a late 2nd round pick.
I think a more interesting trade proposal would include the Bruins & the Habs.
Depending on how much Higgins wants to get paid in RFA he could be dealt to the Bruins.
Bruins trade:
The negotiating rights one of their RFA's (Krejci/Kessel) if they can't afford to resign one or the other or trade Patrice Bergeron's 4.75mill cap hit
to the Habs for
Chris Higgins negotiating rights.
Under the assumption that his cap hit will be no more than 3mill seeing as how he has been playing HORRIBLY this season but could become a gem in Boston.

Higgins is not an UFA, he is an RFA. His "negotiating rights" can't be moved.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Higgins is not an UFA, he is an RFA. His "negotiating rights" can't be moved.
An RFA can't be moved in the off-season prior to the beginning of Free Agency?

Old
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
An RFA can't be moved in the off-season prior to the beginning of Free Agency?
In that case, you've not moved his "negotiating rights," you've moved his contract rights.

In a negotiating rights deal, team A gets the right to talk to player X. If the team doesn't reach a deal, Player X goes on his way and Team A gets nothing.

With an RFA, Team A acquires the contract rights to Player X. If Player X then signs an offer with another team, Team A either gets to match or is owed compensation.

Old
03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I'd move San Jose's pick for Higgins, but then I think Higgins is going to return to form next season.
Interesting. Very interesting.

This would be the ideal example of "buying low"; banking on a player's game picking up next season.

I'd like to add Higgins speed to NYI's forward corp, and I think he could slot in well next to Tavares, for example, as he likely possesses more offensive skill than most any current NYI wing outside of Okposo.

As another option, I like the idea of "looking at" Tanguay, an impending UFA, as he brings speed, and has complimented top-end talent well in the past (Forsberg/Sakic). However, his price tag will undoubtedly be (too) high, as he currently makes $5 mil+.

From reading past posts, I know you are not a big fan of Tanguay's.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Interesting. Very interesting.

This would be the ideal example of "buying low"; banking on a player's game picking up next season.

I'd like to add Higgins speed to NYI's forward corp, and I think he could slot in well next to Tavares, for example, as he likely possesses more offensive skill than most any current NYI wing outside of Okposo.

As another option, I like the idea of "looking at" Tanguay, an impending UFA, as he brings speed, and has complimented top-end talent well in the past (Forsberg/Sakic). However, his price tag will undoubtedly be (too) high, as he currently makes $5 mil+.

From reading past posts, I know you are not a big fan of Tanguay's.
That has not changed. Never been a fan.

Old
03-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I'd move San Jose's pick for Higgins, but then I think Higgins is going to return to form next season.
He's already been playing better.

1 G, 2 A in the last 4 games playing on a defensive line with no PP time.

I dunno if I'd move him for a first. I guess it would depend on who's available at that spot and how high am I on that player.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Lapierre is definitely not overrated. Any habs fan will tell you he is a third-forth line agitator, how the F is that overrating him? When you are judging his game, point production is irrelevant. For most of the year the guy was the forth center behind Lang, Koivu and Plekanec and has stepped up to a third line role due to injuries.

Higgins is depended on to score. For what their role is, Lapierre is having a far superior year. But like Higgins, pretty much all of the habs players that are supposed to be scoring aren't getting it done. Having said that, i like Higgins and don't want him traded.
I agree with your comparison oh Lapierre to Higgins for this year, and overall as well. I was just trying to point out that the average habs fan seems to idolize lapierre, and the fans (especially the media) seem to "hang" the players that underperform, even though they're still extremely young. I am used to this being a leafs fan, but this sort of behaviour seems to be overwhelming in montreal this year, and I do not think the habs organization should act on these impulses.

I think to re-word what i meant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's just short-term emotional overreactions that fuel the way many fans evaluate the players.
As a leafs fan we are prone to this, and I have been trying to avoid it (except with grabovski, i have no justification to why i like him at all, hes not even that good and is extremely inconsistent).

A San Jose - Montreal trade could be viable. Higgins would HAVE to generate points on that team. The sharks are amazing, and even a "bad" year in San Jose will generate him 40 points. If higgins can stay healthy, he will be a solid 2nd liner putting up 60pts a season.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
A San Jose - Montreal trade could be viable. Higgins would HAVE to generate points on that team. The sharks are amazing, and even a "bad" year in San Jose will generate him 40 points. If higgins can stay healthy, he will be a solid 2nd liner putting up 60pts a season.
Just off hand, that San Jose - Montreal trade wouldn't be so viable. That's because the trading of San Jose's 1st for Higgins would be a NYI - MON trade. The Islanders received San Jose's 1st rounder in the Comrie-Campoli deal.

So basically, Darth was stating that he'd trade NYI's second 1st rounder (projected to be 26-30) for Higgins.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 03-30-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Rewording
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I've said this many times that an interesting trade between the Isles and the Habs over Higgins would be Trent Hunter going the other way. I think both clubs would be happy with the trade.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Just off hand, that San Jose - Montreal trade wouldn't be so viable. That's because the trading of San Jose's 1st for Higgins would be a NYI - MON trade. The Islanders received San Jose's 1st rounder in the Comrie-Campoli deal.

So basically, Darth was stating that he'd trade NYI's second 1st rounder (projected to be 26-30) for Higgins.
There is no way that Montreal makes that trade. Higgins is finally healthy and he's been one of our best forwards in recent weeks (not points-wise, but with his play).

I would not be trading him unless in a package for a true star player.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There is no way that Montreal makes that trade. Higgins is finally healthy and he's been one of our best forwards in recent weeks (not points-wise, but with his play).

I would not be trading him unless in a package for a true star player.
He looked very sluggish against Toronto a week ago, causing turnovers on 2 on 1's in the offensive zone. He looked like he had no extra step in his game. I didn't realize he was injured, maybe that had something to do with it..

Old
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
He looked very sluggish against Toronto a week ago, causing turnovers on 2 on 1's in the offensive zone. He looked like he had no extra step in his game. I didn't realize he was injured, maybe that had something to do with it..
Yet in that same game, he looked fabulous when teamed up with Lapierre and Tanguay, resulting in Lapierre's two goals, the only bright spots in that lame game from the Habs' POV.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote