HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Don't you just want to see a Gerbe-Roy-Ennis-Biega-Ellis unit with Byron as the extra attacker? I'd pay good money for that...
no, i dont want to see that... i dont want to see a 5th of that LU...

Old
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
no, i dont want to see that... i dont want to see a 5th of that LU...
You'd have to have pretty good eyesight or a microscope to see a fifth of that lineup...

Old
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Kassian might be a slightly different kind of physical, but Paille was voted the best body checker in the OHL. Kassian is an OHL guy...

i said similar...
Having seen Paille play... he was all about timing. Kassian from what I have seen is a different cat in that regard.

Quote:
Don't you just want to see a Gerbe-Roy-Ennis-Biega-Ellis unit with Byron as the extra attacker? I'd pay good money for that...
Biega's at 5'11.5"/205 lbs. He's almost too big for that lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman View Post
So, if things break the way TSN has it figured, do you:

1. Choose another sub-5'10" forward;
2. Add to your stable of defensemen;
3. Reach for a Kassian/Josefson/etc..

None of these are particularly appealing from where I sit..
- Take the best player available

or

- Trade up

or

- Trade down

03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Having seen Paille play... he was all about timing. Kassian from what I have seen is a different cat in that regard.
Kassian is bigger and arrives with more ill will than Paille did. Paille was thought of as being akin to Peca in that his timing of checks was paramount to his success while Kassian is more powerful.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Like a Brad May kinda cat?

Old
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Like a Brad May kinda cat?
Basically, in that you hope he can develop better hands to become a Dustin Brown or Ryan Clowe but worse comes to worse you end up with a servicable Brad May / Eric Rasmussen.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Basically, in that you hope he can develop better hands to become a Dustin Brown or Ryan Clowe but worse comes to worse you end up with a servicable Brad May / Eric Rasmussen.
Dustin Brown on a Vanek-Connolly line makes me

And if he develops into a Brad May on the low end, that's ok... but you had to go throw Rasmussen in their to cover the BUST side of drafting him in the top 15.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Devo-2

Quote:
Assuming we will be stuck in the 13th spot...
We are 3 points out of 7th and closing in at warp speed.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
What are two things that don't belong in the same sentence?

Old
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
We are 3 points out of 7th and closing in at warp speed.
this is the Sabres... you know they arent going to tank, they will be worse, and win just enough games so we can cry about blown pts and how we missed the playoffs by 2 wins.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Dustin Brown on a Vanek-Connolly line makes me

And if he develops into a Brad May on the low end, that's ok... but you had to go throw Rasmussen in their to cover the BUST side of drafting him in the top 15.
May was a Gold Gloves winner -- he had abilities way beyond what he could do around the net. Once he broke his hand on Ulfie's helmet, he pretty much was no longer able to do what he once did with the stick. Bradley has rarely had any issue getting motivated to play anyone -- sometimes too much so. I'd take his early career enthusiasm on this roster any day. Blowing out his knee at the Nats camp after getting drafted took away a step he couldn't afford to lose, breaking his hand took his shot, throwing out his shoulder fighting Ronnie Stern moved him into the middleweight category.... the kid played hard to the point of breaking.

Rasmussen when motivated is a solid hitting player. It was getting him angry enough.

Kassian is more May than Rasmussen -- he seems to want to get after people all the time, regardless of who they are.

That said.... I wouldn't mind seeing some action at the draft around filling a late first/early second while shipping out some salary.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
May was a Gold Gloves winner -- he had abilities way beyond what he could do around the net. Once he broke his hand on Ulfie's helmet, he pretty much was no longer able to do what he once did with the stick. Bradley has rarely had any issue getting motivated to play anyone -- sometimes too much so. I'd take his early career enthusiasm on this roster any day. Blowing out his knee at the Nats camp after getting drafted took away a step he couldn't afford to lose, breaking his hand took his shot, throwing out his shoulder fighting Ronnie Stern moved him into the middleweight category.... the kid played hard to the point of breaking.

Rasmussen when motivated is a solid hitting player. It was getting him angry enough.

Kassian is more May than Rasmussen -- he seems to want to get after people all the time, regardless of who they are.

That said.... I wouldn't mind seeing some action at the draft around filling a late first/early second while shipping out some salary.
keep selling me... i like anyone who can be compared to Brad AND Dustin Brown... it's like a combo i made up in my head...

What salary are we shipping out that can draw that kind of return? Pominville? I'd trade him for a late 1st in a heartbeat. Take the loss, a put the salary to better use.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Devo-2

Quote:
keep selling me...
Check out this quick thread from earlier in the year, especially the post from John-Eric Iannicello:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16733788

Old
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
Check out this quick thread from earlier in the year, especially the post from John-Eric Iannicello:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16733788
His stock seems to have fallen, there are a couple mentions of him a a top 15 pick in that thread, possibly even top 10. Why?

Old
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
His stock seems to have fallen, there are a couple mentions of him a a top 15 pick in that thread, possibly even top 10. Why?
Perhaps people were disappointed with the fact that he finished 50th in the OHL in regular season scoring?

Old
03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Ddubs

He fights, hits, puts up points and he's not a midget. I'm sold on Kassian.

Old
03-25-2009, 12:21 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Tank for Schenn and trade something for Kassian. Start the rebuild on a good note.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Tank for Schenn and trade something for Kassian. Start the rebuild on a good note.
Agreed.

Old
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=17

I know the anti-midget brigade will be out, but Ellis has the kind of hockey sense that I believe will make him a very effective puck moving defenseman in the NHL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Myers as the Sabres top pairing of the future.

Old
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=17

I know the anti-midget brigade will be out, but Ellis has the kind of hockey sense that I believe will make him a very effective puck moving defenseman in the NHL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Myers as the Sabres top pairing of the future.
Agreed, my only problem is that I'd like to start restocking the offensive pipe-line. We have a number of solid d prospects but seem to be missing out on the offensive side.

Old
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
aceface33

Drafting Ellis would certainly go with Regier's philosophy of getting maximum value from assets...he'll probably be a mid-round pick because of his size, but the kid has skills, made the Canadian WJC team at 17 and played quite well.

Kind of going off on a tangent here but I think Regier's obsessiveness about asset management is the reason he drafts so small. He can get a more skilled player later in the draft if the kid is smaller. And toughness is not something that is measurable, while points are. As we've seen though the wisdom of this approach is questionable.

Old
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Agreed, my only problem is that I'd like to start restocking the offensive pipe-line. We have a number of solid d prospects but seem to be missing out on the offensive side.
To me, Ellis is more likely to spark offense than a forward drafted in that spot.

Ellis was the PP QB on Canada's WJC team as a 17yo.

I think he could be a spark plug puck moving defenseman that would make the forwards we do have a lot better.

To me, the bigger debate is whether the Sabres need to look to add size up front as I think they have enough skill guys with the likes of Kennedy, Gerbe, and Ennis in the system.

Old
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Drafting Ellis would certainly go with Regier's philosophy of getting maximum value from assets...he'll probably be a mid-round pick because of his size, but the kid has skills, made the Canadian WJC team at 17 and played quite well.

Kind of going off on a tangent here but I think Regier's obsessiveness about asset management is the reason he drafts so small. He can get a more skilled player later in the draft if the kid is smaller. And toughness is not something that is measurable, while points are. As we've seen though the wisdom of this approach is questionable.
I wonder how much Regier shapes the draft?

There are some GMs that let their Amateur Scouting staff drive the decisions and take a hands off approach.

Then there are other GMs who are more hands on.

I wonder whoch way Regier leans?

Old
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
To me, Ellis is more likely to spark offense than a forward drafted in that spot.

Ellis was the PP QB on Canada's WJC team as a 17yo.

I think he could be a spark plug puck moving defenseman that would make the forwards we do have a lot better.

To me, the bigger debate is whether the Sabres need to look to add size up front as I think they have enough skill guys with the likes of Kennedy, Gerbe, and Ennis in the system.
I'd rather they go bigger (and skilled) up front. Having someone who can lug the mail from the blueline in 3-5 years would be great... but having someone who can mine the corners and win battles in traffic in 3-4 years might be more useful, considering they have very little size in the pipeline.

Old
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I'd rather they go bigger (and skilled) up front. Having someone who can lug the mail from the blueline in 3-5 years would be great... but having someone who can mine the corners and win battles in traffic in 3-4 years might be more useful, considering they have very little size in the pipeline.
The only thing that worries me there is that the Sabres haven't exactly had a great track record when drafting forwards with size.......

And I'm just worried that if they take a guy like Kassian that he turned into Bustmuffin 2.0.

I just think that Ellis is a Moneyball type pick that will be more likely to work out in the long run than a forward with size, but not the skill set to go top 5.

Closed Thread