HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
  #51
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Don't you just want to see a Gerbe-Roy-Ennis-Biega-Ellis unit with Byron as the extra attacker? I'd pay good money for that...
no, i dont want to see that... i dont want to see a 5th of that LU...

Jame is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
  #52
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
no, i dont want to see that... i dont want to see a 5th of that LU...
You'd have to have pretty good eyesight or a microscope to see a fifth of that lineup...

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
  #53
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Kassian might be a slightly different kind of physical, but Paille was voted the best body checker in the OHL. Kassian is an OHL guy...

i said similar...
Having seen Paille play... he was all about timing. Kassian from what I have seen is a different cat in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Don't you just want to see a Gerbe-Roy-Ennis-Biega-Ellis unit with Byron as the extra attacker? I'd pay good money for that...
Biega's at 5'11.5"/205 lbs. He's almost too big for that lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman View Post
So, if things break the way TSN has it figured, do you:

1. Choose another sub-5'10" forward;
2. Add to your stable of defensemen;
3. Reach for a Kassian/Josefson/etc..

None of these are particularly appealing from where I sit..
- Take the best player available

or

- Trade up

or

- Trade down

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
  #54
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Having seen Paille play... he was all about timing. Kassian from what I have seen is a different cat in that regard.
Kassian is bigger and arrives with more ill will than Paille did. Paille was thought of as being akin to Peca in that his timing of checks was paramount to his success while Kassian is more powerful.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
  #55
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Having seen Paille play... he was all about timing. Kassian from what I have seen is a different cat in that regard.
Like a Brad May kinda cat?

Jame is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
  #56
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Like a Brad May kinda cat?
Basically, in that you hope he can develop better hands to become a Dustin Brown or Ryan Clowe but worse comes to worse you end up with a servicable Brad May / Eric Rasmussen.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
  #57
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Basically, in that you hope he can develop better hands to become a Dustin Brown or Ryan Clowe but worse comes to worse you end up with a servicable Brad May / Eric Rasmussen.
Dustin Brown on a Vanek-Connolly line makes me

And if he develops into a Brad May on the low end, that's ok... but you had to go throw Rasmussen in their to cover the BUST side of drafting him in the top 15.

Jame is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
  #58
Devo-2
Registered User
 
Devo-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Assuming we will be stuck in the 13th spot...
We are 3 points out of 7th and closing in at warp speed.

Devo-2 is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
  #59
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Basically, in that you hope he can develop better hands to become a Dustin Brown or Ryan Clowe but worse comes to worse you end up with a servicable Brad May / Eric Rasmussen.
What are two things that don't belong in the same sentence?

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
  #60
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
We are 3 points out of 7th and closing in at warp speed.
this is the Sabres... you know they arent going to tank, they will be worse, and win just enough games so we can cry about blown pts and how we missed the playoffs by 2 wins.

Jame is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
  #61
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Dustin Brown on a Vanek-Connolly line makes me

And if he develops into a Brad May on the low end, that's ok... but you had to go throw Rasmussen in their to cover the BUST side of drafting him in the top 15.
May was a Gold Gloves winner -- he had abilities way beyond what he could do around the net. Once he broke his hand on Ulfie's helmet, he pretty much was no longer able to do what he once did with the stick. Bradley has rarely had any issue getting motivated to play anyone -- sometimes too much so. I'd take his early career enthusiasm on this roster any day. Blowing out his knee at the Nats camp after getting drafted took away a step he couldn't afford to lose, breaking his hand took his shot, throwing out his shoulder fighting Ronnie Stern moved him into the middleweight category.... the kid played hard to the point of breaking.

Rasmussen when motivated is a solid hitting player. It was getting him angry enough.

Kassian is more May than Rasmussen -- he seems to want to get after people all the time, regardless of who they are.

That said.... I wouldn't mind seeing some action at the draft around filling a late first/early second while shipping out some salary.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
  #62
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
May was a Gold Gloves winner -- he had abilities way beyond what he could do around the net. Once he broke his hand on Ulfie's helmet, he pretty much was no longer able to do what he once did with the stick. Bradley has rarely had any issue getting motivated to play anyone -- sometimes too much so. I'd take his early career enthusiasm on this roster any day. Blowing out his knee at the Nats camp after getting drafted took away a step he couldn't afford to lose, breaking his hand took his shot, throwing out his shoulder fighting Ronnie Stern moved him into the middleweight category.... the kid played hard to the point of breaking.

Rasmussen when motivated is a solid hitting player. It was getting him angry enough.

Kassian is more May than Rasmussen -- he seems to want to get after people all the time, regardless of who they are.

That said.... I wouldn't mind seeing some action at the draft around filling a late first/early second while shipping out some salary.
keep selling me... i like anyone who can be compared to Brad AND Dustin Brown... it's like a combo i made up in my head...

What salary are we shipping out that can draw that kind of return? Pominville? I'd trade him for a late 1st in a heartbeat. Take the loss, a put the salary to better use.

Jame is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
  #63
Devo-2
Registered User
 
Devo-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
keep selling me...
Check out this quick thread from earlier in the year, especially the post from John-Eric Iannicello:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16733788

Devo-2 is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
  #64
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
Check out this quick thread from earlier in the year, especially the post from John-Eric Iannicello:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16733788
His stock seems to have fallen, there are a couple mentions of him a a top 15 pick in that thread, possibly even top 10. Why?

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
  #65
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
His stock seems to have fallen, there are a couple mentions of him a a top 15 pick in that thread, possibly even top 10. Why?
Perhaps people were disappointed with the fact that he finished 50th in the OHL in regular season scoring?

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
  #66
Ddubs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 500
He fights, hits, puts up points and he's not a midget. I'm sold on Kassian.

Ddubs is offline  
Old
03-25-2009, 12:21 AM
  #67
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
Tank for Schenn and trade something for Kassian. Start the rebuild on a good note.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
  #68
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Tank for Schenn and trade something for Kassian. Start the rebuild on a good note.
Agreed.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
  #69
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=17

I know the anti-midget brigade will be out, but Ellis has the kind of hockey sense that I believe will make him a very effective puck moving defenseman in the NHL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Myers as the Sabres top pairing of the future.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
  #70
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=17

I know the anti-midget brigade will be out, but Ellis has the kind of hockey sense that I believe will make him a very effective puck moving defenseman in the NHL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Myers as the Sabres top pairing of the future.
Agreed, my only problem is that I'd like to start restocking the offensive pipe-line. We have a number of solid d prospects but seem to be missing out on the offensive side.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
  #71
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,019
vCash: 500
Drafting Ellis would certainly go with Regier's philosophy of getting maximum value from assets...he'll probably be a mid-round pick because of his size, but the kid has skills, made the Canadian WJC team at 17 and played quite well.

Kind of going off on a tangent here but I think Regier's obsessiveness about asset management is the reason he drafts so small. He can get a more skilled player later in the draft if the kid is smaller. And toughness is not something that is measurable, while points are. As we've seen though the wisdom of this approach is questionable.

aceface33 is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
  #72
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Agreed, my only problem is that I'd like to start restocking the offensive pipe-line. We have a number of solid d prospects but seem to be missing out on the offensive side.
To me, Ellis is more likely to spark offense than a forward drafted in that spot.

Ellis was the PP QB on Canada's WJC team as a 17yo.

I think he could be a spark plug puck moving defenseman that would make the forwards we do have a lot better.

To me, the bigger debate is whether the Sabres need to look to add size up front as I think they have enough skill guys with the likes of Kennedy, Gerbe, and Ennis in the system.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
  #73
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Drafting Ellis would certainly go with Regier's philosophy of getting maximum value from assets...he'll probably be a mid-round pick because of his size, but the kid has skills, made the Canadian WJC team at 17 and played quite well.

Kind of going off on a tangent here but I think Regier's obsessiveness about asset management is the reason he drafts so small. He can get a more skilled player later in the draft if the kid is smaller. And toughness is not something that is measurable, while points are. As we've seen though the wisdom of this approach is questionable.
I wonder how much Regier shapes the draft?

There are some GMs that let their Amateur Scouting staff drive the decisions and take a hands off approach.

Then there are other GMs who are more hands on.

I wonder whoch way Regier leans?

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
  #74
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
To me, Ellis is more likely to spark offense than a forward drafted in that spot.

Ellis was the PP QB on Canada's WJC team as a 17yo.

I think he could be a spark plug puck moving defenseman that would make the forwards we do have a lot better.

To me, the bigger debate is whether the Sabres need to look to add size up front as I think they have enough skill guys with the likes of Kennedy, Gerbe, and Ennis in the system.
I'd rather they go bigger (and skilled) up front. Having someone who can lug the mail from the blueline in 3-5 years would be great... but having someone who can mine the corners and win battles in traffic in 3-4 years might be more useful, considering they have very little size in the pipeline.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
  #75
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'd rather they go bigger (and skilled) up front. Having someone who can lug the mail from the blueline in 3-5 years would be great... but having someone who can mine the corners and win battles in traffic in 3-4 years might be more useful, considering they have very little size in the pipeline.
The only thing that worries me there is that the Sabres haven't exactly had a great track record when drafting forwards with size.......

And I'm just worried that if they take a guy like Kassian that he turned into Bustmuffin 2.0.

I just think that Ellis is a Moneyball type pick that will be more likely to work out in the long run than a forward with size, but not the skill set to go top 5.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.