HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lightning-Islanders

Old
03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
NHLcrazy

vCash: 500
Lightning-Islanders

Been here for years but I rarely make trade proposals so bare with me...

What about this trade if the Isles do get the #1 pick:

Isles: Lecavalier + ?
Tampa: 1st overall pick (Tavares) + ?

Isles get a great offensive guy already under contract for 10+ years and have plenty of cap space for him.

Tampa gets a great young, cheap, very talented forward to built around with Stamkos and get rid of salary (for now!)

Should something be added to one side or the other, perhaps Tampa gets another draft pick or a young, cheap F or D who is NHL proven (Bergenheim, Nielsen, Gervais...)

mods: If this was already proposed in recent weeks plz delete!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Sneekypete

The Isles are doing there rebuild the right way. This trade would make zero sense for the Isles.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploplopfizzfizz View Post
The Isles are doing there rebuild the right way. This trade would make zero sense for the Isles.
They get a 28 yrs old Center signed until 2020 who can score 45 goals and get 90-100 pts.

Tavares will likely be a fine NHLer but Vinny is a proven NHLer and has an impact NOW for a team that desperately needs a figure to the franchise. Having a healthy Dipietro, Streit and Vinny can be the building blocks for some sort of success the next 5 years IMO

Old
03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
They get a 28 yrs old Center signed until 2020 who can score 45 goals and get 90-100 pts.

Tavares will likely be a fine NHLer but Vinny is a proven NHLer and has an impact NOW for a team that desperately needs a figure to the franchise. Having a healthy Dipietro, Streit and Vinny can be the building blocks for some sort of success the next 5 years IMO
I don't think the Lightning propose/accept this trade. I don't think they're rebuilding either.. next year, assuming they don't have as many injuries as they did this year (i.e. Mike Smith & Meszaros) they are a playoff team once again + another top 5 draft pick unless they deal it to Toronto

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:

Tavares will most probably be a NHL and a franchise player at that. Lets face it the Isles are going to need more high draft picks before they can compete. (hence a few more years) Whats the point of paying a high a high salary player for dead time?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Okposofan21

no thanks tampa bay!

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I'd rather not make another huge splash that will take our rebuild a step back.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
CodeE

Quote:

Isles: Lecavalier + 3rd overall pick
Tampa: 1st overall pick (Tavares) + Jon Sim
Filled in the question marks.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

Let me guess Vinny makes the Isles a playoff team. The answer is No. Tavares makes the Isles a playoff team? The answer again is No. The Islanders will have a max cap hit around 3 million while in total rebuild. Or the cost of Vinny L at the bargain basement price of 6.875 million for 9 more years.

Neither player makes the Isles a contender so why not keep building with youth instead of sucking up another 10 plus year contract and a big salary.

Old
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Mr Shanahan

Why would Tampa go for Tavares? I know he's probably a better pick than Hedman, but they kinda have Stamkos already.

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
NHLcrazy

Alright i understand your points of view, my idea was to reduce payroll in TB while getting talent back and also make hockey in NY more....exciting and since they have cap room to burn

Old
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The Islanders went down that road before.

Didn't get the results we wanted.

Snow n' co. are likely keeping the pick or only trading it for another low first rounder +++.

Lateral moves aren't likely.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
macleod50

Snow takes this and runs away laughing. Proven commodities always prevail over question marks.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
I would never do it. I don't even care who the player is, if it was Crosby or Ovechkin, or a 19 year old Gretzky, I wouldn't do it. I want the Islanders to build their own team with our own superstars. Whether any of our players or future picks ever turn into superstars, I'm not even concerned. When all is said and done, I would prefer to have a medicore team of home grown players than try and be the smartest guy and make blockbuster trades.

The Isles are creating their own identity and I hope we stick to it. And I hope Snow is not as impulsive as the posters on this board.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
IslesFTW

Only on HF is a proven franchise center worth less to Isles fans than a potential franchise center

Fact is, the Isles would accept this withOUT a doubt.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
The Islanders went down that road before.
No they haven't. Yashin can't compare anywhere near Lecavalier, both in talent and heart.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Isles: Lecavalier + ?
Tampa: 1st overall pick (Tavares) + ?

Isles get a great offensive guy already under contract for 10+ years and have plenty of cap space for him.

Tampa gets a great young, cheap, very talented forward to built around with Stamkos and get rid of salary (for now!)

Should something be added to one side or the other, perhaps Tampa gets another draft pick or a young, cheap F or D who is NHL proven (Bergenheim, Nielsen, Gervais...)

mods: If this was already proposed in recent weeks plz delete!

I'd love to have VL playing for the isles,but that $10m a yr contract would make me very leery.

The Isles are still paying Yashin his buyout money.DiPi's got a longterm deal and battling knee/hip inuries.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Let me guess Vinny makes the Isles a playoff team. The answer is No. Tavares makes the Isles a playoff team? The answer again is No. The Islanders will have a max cap hit around 3 million while in total rebuild. Or the cost of Vinny L at the bargain basement price of 6.875 million for 9 more years.

I thought VL's new contract called for him to make $10m a yr?

Old
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
As long as the plus wasn't something too valuable, I'd pull the trigger on this from an Isles POV. However, I don't see why the Lightning would want to set themselves back this far in terms of time to competing again. If anything, I would think the Lightning would be the team more interested in making a move to make them more competitive now, rather than in the distant future.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thought VL's new contract called for him to make $10m a yr?
cap hit this year is 6.875

Old
03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
No they haven't. Yashin can't compare anywhere near Lecavalier, both in talent and heart.
Uhhhh, yes they did. They traded a top 2 pick ++ for a bonafide, in-his-prime #1 center who everyone knew was gonna earn gobs of money and who ended up with a contract not all too different from the one Lecavalier has now. Anddddd it didn't pay off for us.

I believe Lecavalier IS better than Yashin and he has a Stanley cup ring (to help prove it), but let's not pretend he's a player who has had more than two 80+ point seasons in his 10 year career, because he hasn't.... much like Yashin who had only had two 80+ point seasons in his 7 year career before coming here.

In addition, Ottawa then picked Spezza and at least according to the OP, the pick garnered here would be used to get the top-ranked center again.

The situational comparison is actually quite astonishing in its similarity.

You don't think the media would have a FIELD DAY striking up articles with this comparison?

Quote:
Only on HF is a proven franchise center worth less to Isles fans than a potential franchise center
Or potential franchise Dman?

Quote:
Actually, I don't think they'd do this trade, for two very obvious reasons and a third side reason as the icing on the cake. Contemplate the following:
1) Contract - Lecavalier would be a considerable financial pick-up for a team that is likely not contending for the Stanley Cup within the next couple of years. In addition, that's a longggggg contract. That's something they already have in Dipietro. It's something that could burden them considerably if he came in here and pulled a Yashin, which is a risk management would be taking.
2) Age - 28 ain't all that old. He's in his prime, but the guy we're getting has a 10 year gap on him. At this stage of the game, that age difference is much more in tune with the path the Islanders are on, both from a growing standpoint and from a budgetary viewpoint. In addition, although risk is involved, there's very viable reason to believe that Tavares may end up being the better career player - maybe even within three years time.
3) Snow's Plan - A move of this nature would be pretty hard for Snow to recover from media-wise, much less in allowing him to distance himself from his pre-predecessor Milbury, after all the talk about doing the rebuild the right way, drafting and then adding UFAs along the way. His credibility with respect hereto would be outta here - some media would prolly rip him a new one in making comparisons to the Milburyian "dump the future for the quick fix" train of thought.

So, no... this trade would be quite contradictory to Snow's plan as he himself has preached it the past year.

As simple as it may sound to say you always go with the proven guy over the question marks, once the franchise-developmental-stage and financial matters come into play, that statement might as well be thrown out the window.

Now, if this trade would be made, I'd root for Lecavalier to play his best hockey ever in an Islander uniform and hopefully take us to the cup, but my faith in Snow's plan and jargon "on doing things the right way" would be down the drain and I wouldn't help but feel like we fans had once again been duped by Islander management. I'd think shortcuts, shortcuts, shortcuts.

I doubt I'd be alone with this feeling.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 03-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
cap hit this year is 6.875
ok.According to the article I googled,he's signed a 11 yr/$85m extension.Not the $10m a yr I thought,but still a big chuck of change.

I guess if the Bolts really want to move him,it'll have to be before his NTC kicks in.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...045/story.html
Lecavalier signed an 11-year, $85-million (U.S.) contract extension with the Lightning last July, but there are rumours he will be dealt before his no-trade clause kicks in on July 1.

Old
03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
The road to success for TB is a lot swifter (and more likely to occur) "building around" a just-in-his-prime top 5 NHL center (as well as a 19 y/o talented center - Stamkos) than it is doing same with a promising, unproven 18 y/o prospect.

The economics make a lot of sense for TB. The asset exchange does not. Exact opposite for NYI.

Quote:
Very true. If one wishes not to trade picks for established elite NHL talent under any circumstances, fine. Unrealistic, but fine.

However, do not compare trading for Vincent Lecavalier under any circumstances with the aforementioned move for Captain Carcass, circa 2001.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No they wouldn't.

The value isn't the issue. The $ are another story. With the Isles bleeding red ink and having all sorts of problems getting a decent building, they're not going to take on a contract of that nature.

03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Ace88*

correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't trading lecavalier put you under or dangerously close to the cap floor

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote