HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Caffeine before games?

Old
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
I very seldom drink any caffeine to begin with. I just drink lots of water all day and then maybe take a nap a couple hours beforehand. Then go and play. Water is the key to success .

Plus having caffeine before a late game would probably suck. Wouldn't be able to fall asleep afterwards.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I read an articale in the New England Journal of Medicine several years ago about the effect of Lactic Acid on the working muscle.

Lactic Acid is the bi-product of used up sugar or energy within the muscle cells. In fact, about 85% of your urine in lactic acid.

Now, when you skate, about 8 seconds into your shift, you will start to feel a burn within your thigh muscle. This is Lactic Acid forming or collecting in the muscle. Now, this burn is not painful enough to keep you from skating.

After about 30 to 45 second, it becomes quite painful, that you will start to stand up to help relieve the pain. When this happens, the power in your stride goes out the window.

Now, according to the article, it takes about 2 minutes of rest for every minute of work to help flush this Lactic Acid out of the muscle and into the blabber. Now, they way you do this is with water. Water, helps push that Lactic Acid out of the muscle cell and into blood stream via the blood cells that go through the kidney to flush out this toxin.

So what does this mean for you and your energy drink? The best thing you can do is drink water after every shift. Don't just drink water when you need it after you have been skating for 25 minutes. drink water after every shift to help flush out the Lactic Acid you our muscle will recover faster, which means you will be able to skate faster...longer.

Now, in this article, they also taked about runners neutralizing this Lactic acid with baking power. They found that if you take some one tea spoon of baking power in 12 ounces of water, that the baking power will neutralize the lactic acid in the muscle for about 45 minutes.

They recommend that you take it 1 hour before you play. This should be able to make that power stride last a little longer than normal.

Good Luck
Head coach
I hear that taking baking powder can give you explosive diarrhea .

Old
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
EmptyNetter

This part of the article stood out for me:

Quote:
Others, including my son Stefan, disagree. I urged Stefan to try caffeine and he did. Once.
He took a caffeine pill before a track workout that involved running a mile very quickly, resting briefly, and running a mile again, repeatedly. Like Mr. Johnson, he was wired and shaking. But, Stefan said, he could not recover between miles. His heart was pounding and just would not slow down. He said he has no desire to experience that again.
Maybe Stefan's reaction was unique but the sprint, then rest, then sprint cycle is really similar to a typical hockey game situation. As far as the caffeine study being discussed it seems like it's championed by long-distance, endurance related sports. The 10K runner who's trying to push other athletes on caffeine and the rower who works out for 1 hour straight don't have the same needs as a hockey player.

For those of you who drink coffee before a game, do you have trouble getting enough rest between shifts?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
They found that if you take some one tea spoon of baking power in 12 ounces of water, that the baking power will neutralize the lactic acid in the muscle for about 45 minutes.

They recommend that you take it 1 hour before you play. This should be able to make that power stride last a little longer than normal.

Good Luck
Head coach
Can antacids like Tums work the same?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Can antacids like Tums work the same?
The whole idea would be that of a base neutralizing the acid buildup- so I would say yes.

I need to remember that one...

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I took some of you guys up on the banana-before-game suggestions...

I now hate you guys. I had heartburn like a mofo about halfway through. Could have sworn I was going to puke all over the bench. Next time I won't eat so soon before the game, I guess.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No matter what I've ever tried, I've found that the thing that works best for me is making sure that I drink at least 8 glasses (64 oz) of water (a gatorade can also add to that total, but it has a lot of sugar) throughout the day before I go play. It works wonders.

Old
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post

I now hate you guys. I had heartburn like a mofo about halfway through. Could have sworn I was going to puke all over the bench. Next time I won't eat so soon before the game, I guess.
Disclaimer: Does not work on roadrunners. (meep-meep!)

Seriously, I try to finish eating about 3-4 hours before a game. Food that's not digested by the time you start playing will sit like a rock, acid and all, in your belly until the game is over. That's why I can't imagine drinking coffee right before a race or a game -- all that acid would kill me.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
No Caffeine for me.

I just eat chicken (not fried) for dinner and drink a Gatorade about 1h before the game.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
spizzle420

I only drink coffee before games because I show up high as **** on that sweet nugget

it keeps me alert and able to go longer, however it makes you sweat and dehydrates you hard

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sometimes I like a can of soda on the way to a game (my blood sugar tends to run low and the sugar works nicely). Usually fruit juice or gatorade.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
noobman

I always eat my last mean 3hrs before a game. If I'm in a bind and have to eat 2hrs before a meal I only eat half of what I normally would, and if I have less time than that I'll usually just go with a banana + yogurt.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Dont think that was the banana, dont see how a banana can give you heartburn.

Maybe it was though, try it again

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:52 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Dont think that was the banana, dont see how a banana can give you heartburn.

Maybe it was though, try it again
Yeah I don't see how it could be the banana either.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
rmnyi

Make sure you eat breakfast on game day. Sometimes I'll have something with eggs or sometimes oatmeal. Grilled chicken and pasta for lunch (around 12:30) but I only eat about half of it. I drink water throughout the day. Around 3:30 I'll have a little bit more of the chicken and pasta and that's it, I don't eat again until after the game. While I'm getting dressed, I may have a small cup of coffee or the zero carb RockStar energy drink (blue can). I don't drink the entire can or guzzle it down, just sipping it while I get my gear on. On the bench, usually have water but sometimes I mix with G2 Gatorade. When I follow this, it has worked very well. When I deviate from it, my legs feel like crap.

rmnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:36 AM
CanadaBacon

Am I the only one who beers it up before a game? That might be the Holy Grail!

Old
04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

I like to smoke a big J about 20-25 min before the game. Its gets me pumped for the game and I don't feel any pain (in my head) so I block as many shots as I can.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
CanadaBacon

Uh.....to all the kids on the board, im going to NOT recommend doing that. Stick with the banana. (maybe a beer ever now again )

Old
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Yeah I don't see how it could be the banana either.
Probably because I ate it right before ice time. I'm thinking if I had given it a few hours it would have actually had a little time to digest and wouldn't have made my esophagus feel like it was on fire.

I also get heartburn pretty easily as it is, so that may explain it a bit.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Tbone54

Im a bit the same.. I cant eat at least 4 - 5 hours before a game. Otherwise I just get crazy heartburn / feel like im going to spew.

Specially after the first shift, where you just seem to battle it out in the corners for a good minute.

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
rinkrat22

I usually just pop a couple of stacker3's about a half hour before ice time. you just got to make sure to take a dump first, otherwise when all the caffine kicks in about the time warmups are over you'll be running to the locker room. also the crash that happens is usually after the game so by the time I get home after a late night beer league game I can go right to sleep instead of sitting up half the night watching NHL on the fly 6 times.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Uh.....to all the kids on the board, im going to NOT recommend doing that. Stick with the banana. (maybe a beer ever now again )
Why not? It give you a bunch of carbs. Good source of energy.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
I like to smoke a big J about 20-25 min before the game. Its gets me pumped for the game and I don't feel any pain (in my head) so I block as many shots as I can.
I've done this before and so have my teammates. Makes some play better and some play worse. For me it takes me a good 10-15 mins to "wake up" after I start skating.

As far as caffeine I believe Wayne Gretzky used to down 1 or 2 diet cokes before every game.

For me it is HORRIBLE! Dehydrates me and makes my knees feel week. I get tired really fast too. Ephedra products/energy drinks are even worse for me.

Taurine, banana and a slice of whole wheat toast are the best IMO

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
inthecrowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
Caffeine isn't hard enough for me, I need a little adderall to get me going.
ill second that....third period legs?

inthecrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecrowd View Post
ill second that....third period legs?
My game has certainly picked up since I started taking it.

Finally the ADD helps me out.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote