HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ok Guys - I'm in an official slump

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
  #1
Lexicon
Registered User
 
Lexicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No clue
Country: United States
Posts: 8,092
vCash: 50
Ok Guys - I'm in an official slump

I can't score in games. Shinny for some reason or practice I'm popping in the goals, and last term I was averaging 2 goals a game. This term? I missed quite a few games being sick and another couple because of midterms, however I am on a 7 game goalless run (official games). I can't shake it. I've been getting the chances, just not finishing. Not sure what to do. I've tried to go back to the basics (shoot a lot and hope for a good thing) as I am more of a dangler/dipsy doodler who likes to go for the nice play. However, I'm still cold.

Any tips? Our first playoff game is tomorrow, and I want to break the streak.

EDIT: Not a pointless run, I have 6 assists and 1 goal from the first game of the season (it was garbage so it doesn't count).

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
  #2
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Simplify your game. Though it sounds like all you care about are highlight style goals.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:12 AM
  #3
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Simplify your game. Though it sounds like all you care about are highlight style goals.
EXACTLY. Every goal counts the same on the score sheet, buddy. You need to go back to lunch-pail hockey, as in go to work.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:03 AM
  #4
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Just play your game. If you score, great. If not, well your still on the ice and there is always another chance.

Or just work your A's till they start to go in. I tend to just Grind till they start rolling.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:03 AM
  #5
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Take 500 shots, score 50.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
  #6
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 32,111
vCash: 500
do work son.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
  #7
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I can't score in games. Shinny for some reason or practice I'm popping in the goals, and last term I was averaging 2 goals a game. This term? I missed quite a few games being sick and another couple because of midterms, however I am on a 7 game goalless run (official games). I can't shake it. I've been getting the chances, just not finishing. Not sure what to do. I've tried to go back to the basics (shoot a lot and hope for a good thing) as I am more of a dangler/dipsy doodler who likes to go for the nice play. However, I'm still cold.

Any tips? Our first playoff game is tomorrow, and I want to break the streak.

EDIT: Not a pointless run, I have 6 assists and 1 goal from the first game of the season (it was garbage so it doesn't count).
Try to get more of them, assists and garbage goals, and you will be fine.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
  #8
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Take 500 shots, score 50.
Exactly. On one hand you can't score if you don't shoot, but on the other you should be looking to take *good* shots.

If all else fails just go to the net hard and collect the garbage.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
  #9
West
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Here's some tips for breaking a slump.

1) Work on you're cardio.
2) Start working on you're core and lower body strength (basically squats).
3) Do slightly lighter cardio while using any grip strengthing device. Even the stress releif balls will work. You will be surprized how difficult it will be by the end of your workout.

This will strengthen your grip but it will also condition your body to not steal as much oxygen from your hands when your tired. Both of which are excellent cures for stone hands.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
  #10
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Here's some tips for breaking a slump.

1) Work on you're cardio.
2) Start working on you're core and lower body strength (basically squats).
3) Do slightly lighter cardio while using any grip strengthing device. Even the stress releif balls will work. You will be surprized how difficult it will be by the end of your workout.

This will strengthen your grip but it will also condition your body to not steal as much oxygen from your hands when your tired. Both of which are excellent cures for stone hands.
You forgot to tell him to start working on grammar. That way he can turn around and tell you to practice what you preach.

Ba dum cha!

Joking!

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:56 PM
  #11
SJGoalie32
Registered User
 
SJGoalie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TealTown, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
EDIT: Not a pointless run, I have 6 assists and 1 goal from the first game of the season (it was garbage so it doesn't count).
"It doesnt count"?!?????

What league are you playing in? Does the scorekeeper grade based on technical merit and degree of difficulty? Does your team only get awarded 0.72 goals if the puck goes in off a defenseman's skate?

A goal is a goal is a goal (especially for someone on the schneid).

I had a pair of hat tricks in two games over a 3-week span against our league's best team. The first win secured us a playoff spot, the second was an upset victory in the playoff game. Of those 6 goals, half of them were probably garbage.

The first goal was a simple wrist shot from just inside the blue line off the opening faceoff. It didn't have a lot of mustard on it, but I saw two defensemen in front of me so I just fired it through the traffic. Sure enough the goalie couldn't see it and the puck found its way in.

The final goal was the game-winner in our playoff game. It came on a centering feed from behind the net that caromed off the goalie's leg pad and then he knocked it as he fell. He was out of position. It probably never should have gone in. A good goalie wouldn't have given up that goal in the 3rd period of a tied playoff game. But I checked with the league and apparently we're still going to be allowed to advance to the league finals, even though my goal probably would be more prominent on a YouTube blooper reel than a highlight reel. Garbage goals count for as much on the scoreboard in the playoff as they do in the regular season.

Even garbage goals involve some skill. Being in the right place, making a heads up play, screening or distracting a goalie, drawing a defenseman over.

Not every thing needs to be a toe-drag top shelf. The intent in a playoff game should be to win the game. If that means a top shelf backhander, fine. If that means redirecting a slap shot from the point, fine. If that means banging in a rebound, fine. If that means firing a shot that the goalie is forced to make a save on that leaves a rebound for your linemate, fine. If that means screening the goalie on a linemate's shot that you never touch or assist on, fine. If that means firing a puck into traffic anywhere near the net trying to get a lucky bounce, fine.

The pretty goals will come back when you go back to playing hockey and stop trying to score ONLY goals that look nice.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:03 PM
  #12
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,976
vCash: 50
You need a slump buster... which is an empty net.

You gotta go out there and just relax, clear the thoughts in your head and if you're a primary goal scorer on your team, go and play more solid d. Eventually you will score again and then when it does come, your defensive awareness will be better.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
  #13
Lexicon
Registered User
 
Lexicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No clue
Country: United States
Posts: 8,092
vCash: 50
Ok guys, i played the playoff game and - I BROKE MY SLUMP. I read this thread before the game and decided just to go out and play to win for the team and go back to basics. It worked. Just went out there and since I'm a bigger guy I went out to do the grunt work in front of the net. I already had told the defense to shoot to me so I could tip. So, first slapper from the point I deflected but it missed the net, next shift I deflected two shots - both stopped by the goalie. However, next shift I deflected one fivehole - bang we were up 1 - 0. Later they scored. However, I just kept it to the basics and was pressuring the opposing teams defenders in their zone like I usually do. However, one of their defenders sent a really sloppy pass to the other half of his pairing and I intercepted it and went straight to the net. The goalie did a diving pokecheck which I simply dodged and went to the left and potted the goal. Feels good. We won 4 - 1.

Anyways thanks for the advice guys, simplifying my game helped a lot. I think I was thinking too much about breaking my slump and that threw me off.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:24 AM
  #14
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You need a slump buster... which is an empty net.

You gotta go out there and just relax, clear the thoughts in your head and if you're a primary goal scorer on your team, go and play more solid d. Eventually you will score again and then when it does come, your defensive awareness will be better.

That is definitly NOT what a slump buster was in my day

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:00 AM
  #15
SJGoalie32
Registered User
 
SJGoalie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TealTown, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Ok guys, i played the playoff game and - I BROKE MY SLUMP. I read this thread before the game and decided just to go out and play to win for the team and go back to basics. It worked. Just went out there and since I'm a bigger guy I went out to do the grunt work in front of the net. I already had told the defense to shoot to me so I could tip. So, first slapper from the point I deflected but it missed the net, next shift I deflected two shots - both stopped by the goalie. However, next shift I deflected one fivehole - bang we were up 1 - 0. Later they scored. However, I just kept it to the basics and was pressuring the opposing teams defenders in their zone like I usually do. However, one of their defenders sent a really sloppy pass to the other half of his pairing and I intercepted it and went straight to the net. The goalie did a diving pokecheck which I simply dodged and went to the left and potted the goal. Feels good. We won 4 - 1.

Anyways thanks for the advice guys, simplifying my game helped a lot. I think I was thinking too much about breaking my slump and that threw me off.
Excellent! Great Job!

See? You worked hard, established good position, applied strong pressure on the forecheck, and the reward was your 2 goal per game average and a playoff victory.

Remember this feeling for future playoff games and slumps.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:44 AM
  #16
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Ok guys, i played the playoff game and - I BROKE MY SLUMP. I read this thread before the game and decided just to go out and play to win for the team and go back to basics. It worked. Just went out there and since I'm a bigger guy I went out to do the grunt work in front of the net. I already had told the defense to shoot to me so I could tip. So, first slapper from the point I deflected but it missed the net, next shift I deflected two shots - both stopped by the goalie. However, next shift I deflected one fivehole - bang we were up 1 - 0. Later they scored. However, I just kept it to the basics and was pressuring the opposing teams defenders in their zone like I usually do. However, one of their defenders sent a really sloppy pass to the other half of his pairing and I intercepted it and went straight to the net. The goalie did a diving pokecheck which I simply dodged and went to the left and potted the goal. Feels good. We won 4 - 1.

Anyways thanks for the advice guys, simplifying my game helped a lot. I think I was thinking too much about breaking my slump and that threw me off.
Sorry, but you're still in a slump.

Those two garbage goals don't count!

Just kidding. Well done!

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
  #17
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,850
vCash: 500
Shoot on the ice (low shot) to a selected corner. Always aim for that corner, regardless of what side you're coming in on.

Don't forget that the blade of your stick has different eyes than you do.

Then always follow up the shot, especially when taking it from within 6-10 feet of the goal. Dmen can be very lazy with the rebounds.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.