HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#77 - 03.30.09 | NJ Devils @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - VS. (HD)

Old
03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrtyyyyyyyyy.

I wish I was at the game tonight, seemed like a great atmosphere. It's always nice to beat the Devils, but the fact is that we needed this game badly no matter who the opponent was.

I absolutely loved what Avery did. I don't really give a crap about the "code" and taking his gloves off...your top priority in that situation should be to draw penalties and he did just that. The fact that he was given a penalty was kind of strange, but I've got no problem with what he did. It's not his fault Clarkson decided to be his typical moronic self.

Lundqvist was great tonight. While not all of the shots he faced were top-quality shots, he did his job and stopped what was thrown at him and that's all I can ask. He was great and the team played possibly their most complete game of the season.

Great win - and despite it being on Versus, at least it meant watching it in HD. Keep it going, boys.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Great game all around, couldn't ask for much more than that.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by 045 DEUCE NYR View Post
great game, crowd was intense. there were more fights in the stands than on the ice. there were a crap load of devil fans there though. hank was very strong in net tonight, thats what we need from him. LGR!!!
? huh? no there wasnt. There were some sure, but a crapload? Lets not get crazy...if they got 500-1000 then i say id agree with you.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
He got a shutout and he has fans that aren't happy! Where else but NY?

Sorry but from my view point this was one hell of a game!
First, I never said a word about not being happy.

Second, I don't know how many Rangers games you watch, but I watch them all. And rarely is there a game like tonight, where you don't CLEARLY know that Lundqvist is their best player by watching. My point was, that Lundqvist wasn't forced to pull outrageous save after outrageous save out of his ass to bail this team out. So while he played well, the team in front of him really didnt give much quality scoring opportunity to the devils. If they played like this every night, Henrik would have 10+ shutouts this season. I also kind of alluded to the point that BECAUSE he didn't have to be spectacular, perhaps that could be the reason why it seemed to me like he was a bit "off" even though the scoresheet said the opposite.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
045NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
? huh? no there wasnt. There were some sure, but a crapload? Lets not get crazy...if they got 500-1000 then i say id agree with you.
there were like 20 in my section alone. i saw like 50 on the train ride too. it was a decent amount. i may have over-exaggerated a bit or maybe its just because they are so loud and obnoxious, one kept screaming Gomez sucks for like the whole first period and then was gone after the second, pretty funny.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
First, I never said a word about not being happy.

Second, I don't know how many Rangers games you watch, but I watch them all. And rarely is there a game like tonight, where you don't CLEARLY know that Lundqvist is their best player by watching. My point was, that Lundqvist wasn't forced to pull outrageous save after outrageous save out of his ass to bail this team out. So while he played well, the team in front of him really didnt give much quality scoring opportunity to the devils. If they played like this every night, Henrik would have 10+ shutouts this season. I also kind of alluded to the point that BECAUSE he didn't have to be spectacular, perhaps that could be the reason why it seemed to me like he was a bit "off" even though the scoresheet said the opposite.
No worries. I think that Rangers fans get so used to seeing Lundqvist stand on his head all the time that it's almost like something's missing when he doesn't have to. I just figure you should enjoy a great win instead of picking it apart looking for problems. There will be problems in other games, no reason to look for them in this one. That's the way I see it anyway.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:10 PM
John Torturella

I think Avery dropped his glove just in case Clarkson started throwing punches. If he started throwing rights with a glove on he would not hear the end of it. He has absolutely no reason to fight Clarkson in that situation. Plus he put us on a PP that basically iced the game and should have made it even worse, with what should have been a 4 minute pp.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
dank

yessir!

i was there, it was awesome..

very excited..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:32 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
No worries. I think that Rangers fans get so used to seeing Lundqvist stand on his head all the time that it's almost like something's missing when he doesn't have to..
Isn't that pretty much what I just said?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:38 PM
trilobyte

In case you are interested in a few measly comments from some Leafs and Canadiens fans in good old Canada (home of our beloved Sean) aboot tonight's game, here's a link. Believe me, I've been on this blog, and they have always hated Avery and were not shy about it; when he was suspended it was a great big pile-on.
Sounds like they are starting to get it. (No, none of the messages are mine). It's always interesting to look at the Rangers from outside of the hotbed of Rangers discussion boards.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Block More Shots

WOOOOOO!

Big win boys, now down to Raleigh!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
really poor call on avery when clarkson challenged him. pure reputation call, which was the wrong move in that case. avery deserved better.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:25 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
What a game...absolutely awesome crowd tonight. Can't wait for the next home game vs Montreal. But for now the boys need to focus on Raleigh and beating Carolina.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

This Avery is a Man. Imagine having all those feelings of wanting to kick ass and holding them back and in? I think I would go nuts. The Sean of before would not get thrown to the ice twice like that before without whoopin it out..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Isn't that pretty much what I just said?
Yes more in your second post than the first one I answered. I was just joking around, saying to let yourself be happy after a great shutout win and don't sweat the small stuff. But I don't want to argue so if you're still mad I'm sorry I said anything and let's leave it at that. This is too good a night for arguing except maybe with a Devils fan lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:47 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Here's a quote from Hank about playing the best goalies:

Quote:
I like to play New York teams. It’s fun, you can feel the energy in the building, you get more excited. Same when you play the Islanders. Especially on the Island when you have half the building. It’s a little extra good feeling to play against the really good players in the league. There’s a few goalies in the league that stand out and you have to play better to win.
(I write for www.insidehockey.com, this is a quote I got from him tonight)

Torts on Hank (I think this really epitomizes to me what makes Lundqvist such a good goalie, the wasted motion part):

Quote:
Henrik was very good. I don’t know much about the technical part of the goaltending, I just want him to stop the puck. I don’t think there was too much wasted motion. He seemed to be in the right spot at the right times, and the puck was hitting him. I thought we did a good job for most of the game keeping the shots to the outside, not allowing them into the middle. When they had a couple chances, he made the saves he did.
Also, best crowd of the season. It was beyond deafening at times. As good an atmosphere as you'll get for a regular season game.

Last edited by RothmanHockey: 03-31-2009 at 12:53 AM.
RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:09 AM
trilobyte

See? Tortorella talked in plain language. He clearly stated he just wants the goalie to stop the puck. I mean, I love the simplicity of it.
He describes what I saw, which was Henrik in the right place and square to the shot. Pretty good re-cap on his part.
It seems the dressing down he received from the media and fans in general after his postgame tirade and non-report at the Thrashers game has been the big spike that always happens when powers collide and need to find even ground. It's inevitable.
The big dust-up with J.T. has happened, everybody got stuff off their chest, glad things are moving forward. Doesn't mean there will not be more tension, but you don't get anywhere without some lumps.

The team is what counts, and I have absolutely no doubt that that is what is foremost in John Tortorella's mind.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:18 AM
AJRanger

Wow, didn't see that result coming. Nice.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:24 AM
throwback54milkman

its great to see dubi and callahan playing really well

throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:25 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Incase some didnt know

that was the 40th win of the season

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Staalwart

Fantastic game, team played the way it's capable of which was so enjoyable to watch, and the Garden Crowd was as good as I've ever seen it in a regular season game. This was a HUGE win, hopefully the whole team can build on this straight into the playoffs.

LET'S GO RANGERS!

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:47 AM
NYRSchrute217

Keep it going....big game Thursday in Carolina.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Incase some didnt know

that was the 40th win of the season
4 straight seasons of 40 wins.First time the Rangers have done that since the 1970's.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
4 straight seasons of 40 wins.First time the Rangers have done that since the 1970's.
*Asterisk*

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Fletch

can't say anything negative about a 3-0, must-win, home ice win against the Devils. This game was very enjoyable to watch. The players executed the system very nicely and played hard throughout. Still some work to be done since they'll need 3-4 more points to get into the playoffs, I believe.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote