HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
zecke26

vCash: 500
i hope it's ok to ask about a folded team.

i remember the detroit vipers of the old IHL and wonder how they did as 2nd pro-team in detroit. did they have good attendance and were accepted by hockey fans? so basically i'd like to know if detroit is able to carry two pro teams, one NHL and one minor?

Old
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
I would like to think so, but I have to wonder if Ilitch won't be going back to his penny pinching ways with the way the local economy is going. I don't want to see it happen, but I can't belive it was only Randy Smith who thought Detroit was a small market all those years. I have to believe he was being the mouthpiece.

I never have, nor will I ever, buy the notion Detroit is a small market. Just saying they used that to justify not spending any money.

I'm hopeful that now having seen that putting a good team on the field will yield riches galore, he will not regress to that level.
I might be wrong, but I think Ilitch has made comments that they were looking at this year being a down year and as a development year for guys like Perry, Porcello, Iorg, etc. while looking to spend/compete more actively in 2010. I really doubt we see Detroit drastically shrink their payroll unless they go with youth for a year or two as they rebuild a bit. But even then I'd be surprised if it dipped below $100 million.

Old
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

i remember the detroit vipers of the old IHL and wonder how they did as 2nd pro-team in detroit. did they have good attendance and were accepted by hockey fans? so basically i'd like to know if detroit is able to carry two pro teams, one NHL and one minor?

I never went to Vipers game but I'd watch the games on PASS (back in the day). John Ahlers, the current Ducks announcer, did the play-by-play. The first star they had on their team was Sergei Samsonov and then he was later drafted by the Bruins. The crowds at the Palace were never huge from what I remember. It was a mistake to have an IHL team play in an 18,000 seat arena.

Old
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I never went to Vipers game but I'd watch the games on PASS (back in the day). John Ahlers, the current Ducks announcer, did the play-by-play. The first star they had on their team was Sergei Samsonov and then he was later drafted by the Bruins. The crowds at the Palace were never huge from what I remember. It was a mistake to have an IHL team play in an 18,000 seat arena.
they had a good team for a few seasons, but the palace is indeed not really a good home for a minor team. but i wonder if a detroit based team could survive in the IHL for example. (if the IHL survives first )
the IHL has 4 michigan based teams, two listed as griffins affiliates, two as wings affiliates. that's pretty funny. i kind of followed the old UHL, so i'd like a growing and succeeding IHL.

Old
02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:

When i lived in troy for 7 years i went to lke 10-12 vipers games and not one wings game

Old
02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I might be wrong, but I think Ilitch has made comments that they were looking at this year being a down year and as a development year for guys like Perry, Porcello, Iorg, etc. while looking to spend/compete more actively in 2010. I really doubt we see Detroit drastically shrink their payroll unless they go with youth for a year or two as they rebuild a bit. But even then I'd be surprised if it dipped below $100 million.
I could buy that. Like has been mentioned Sheffield is starting the season, in my mind anyway, as close to dead weight, and really needs to produce in order to move above that standing in my mind. Getting his contract off the books will be huge.

Unless it's a move to cheaper players because they are better than the ones we have, I'm with you in having a hard time getting the payroll below $100 million. At least now it's not a problem of Ilitch being unwilling to spend.

Old
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Shoalzie

Michigan gets their last remaining open date scheduled for next season...Division IAA also-ran, Delaware State.

http://freep.com/article/20090206/SP...t.+to+schedule

App. State was at least a national power in Division IAA...there is no reason why the Wolverines shouldn't run a train on these poor SOBs.

What would've been sweet is if they were able to get Delaware to play at the Big House since they wear blue and yellow and a winged helmet...would just be trippy to watch.

Last edited by Shoalzie: 02-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old
02-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Bluefan75

Quote:
OK, I hate MSU as much as anyone, but the shame of it is that Jeff Lerg is not on that list. I always maintained Michigan would have won 2 national championships at least with him in net, because he was unreal. I saw 3 UM-MSU games that he played in, and U of M won twice, but man did they ever have to play well to beat him.

I know he doesn't fit the mold of NHL goalies(start big and use the equipment to make them bigger), but from a sparty-hater, Lerg is a guy I enjoyed watching play. If the league smartens up and brings skill back to the level where size doesn't override it, I think Lerg will find himself in the NHL for a long time.

Ok, I don't know if I am watching a real old replay on Leafs TV, or if I was smoking something. I was positive Lerg graduated last season....??

Old
02-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Ok, I don't know if I am watching a real old replay on Leafs TV, or if I was smoking something. I was positive Lerg graduated last season....??
Lerg is still playing at MSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Marty Turco
Brendan Morrison
John Madden
Jed Ortmeyer
Jack Johnson
Mike Komisarek
Mike Cammalleri
Kevin Porter
Jeff Tambellini
Eric Nystrom
Mike Knuble
Mike Comrie
TJ Hensick
Chad Kolarik
Matt Hunwick

That's all I can think of...I am sure there are more.
Quote:
Former Spartans in the NHL:
Justin Abdelkader, DET
David Booth, FLA
Jim Slater, ATL
Drew Miller, ANA
John-Michael Liles, COL
Duncan Keith, CHI
Adam Hall, TB
Ryan Miller, BUF
Andrew Hutchinson, DAL
Shawn Horcoff, EDM
Mike Weaver, STL
This is not even a contest. Slater and Weaver are by far the worst two on either team. Then again, Mitera and Montoya will round that our soon. Mitera is god damn horrible

Old
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
zecke26

port huron icehawks (IHL) sign bryan smolinski.

http://www.porthuronicehawks.com/new...d062b69ecc0a21

a lot of former players involved in the IHL. i like it.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
port huron icehawks (IHL) sign bryan smolinski.

http://www.porthuronicehawks.com/new...d062b69ecc0a21

a lot of former players involved in the IHL. i like it.
Port Huron Ice Hawks for the win! My home town representing. The now defunct Border Cats used to have Brent Gretzky on the team... it was hilarious seeing him drunk at the local bars and getting absolutely PISSED when people would tell him how much butter his brother was.

Old
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
lunchbox0240

Don't post much but I read everyday for the past few years. While I love the Wings and they've kept me sane, I bleed Honolulu Blue and Silver. It's been incredibly frustrating the past few years with Millen and, while I hold justified concern, Mayhew seems to be competent. With free agency starting Friday and the Lions being at the obvious disadvantage of 0-16, they've made some solid moves. So far they've signed Maurice Morris to back up Smith, Bryant Johnson for a possession receiver, and CB depth in Eric King. They robbed the Boys yet again by trading Kinta, who is all but cut on March 3rd, for CB Anthony Henry and possibly a pick. Likewise, management was actively trying to trade for Dockery, but Buffalo botched the paperwork and they were reported to be working on a trade and switch for Cassell to the Broncos for Cutler. While this team has proved nothing but incompetence for the past 8 years, management sees to be making wise moves for quality players. Between the rest of free agency and the draft we still a starting G, CB, WR, and probably 2 LBs. Also, I have no idea what will be in play for the future at QB, but I see steps in the right direction. Maybe it's just blind hope.We still have to see what our new rookie coach brings to the table.

Anyway, thoughts?

Old
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Ian Curtis
Lost Control

Pistons win third straight without AI. This time over Billups and the Nuggets.

Billups has 34 pts and gets a big standing O. He deserved it.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
sarcastro

AI blows. They should spasm his back every night, they play a lot better. Yes, he's talented. So was Geoff Sanderson. Doesn't mean he will help your team win. Cherry pickers are almost always a net negative.

As to the Tigers, I think I remember Detroit media people saying that 2006 was a learning year and 2007 was the year they would be "ready". That was Spring 2006. I like the look of the team so far. Laird should be a big plus over Pudge "0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts and 8 LOB" Rodriguez. The lineup is (so far) healthy, and if they can find 5 starters that can give them 180-200 innings each at 4.50ERA or less, they should be ok.

Then again, what are the odds that the lineup will stay healthy, and that they can find even 1 or 2 decent starters in that mess? Don't know what I was thinking there for a second, I was almost feeling optimistic. <Slaps self about the face>

Old
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Health is going to be the big thing for the Tigers. If Bondo can start the season healthy our rotation will take a big step in the right direction. I think Verlander will return to form, Galaragga will have a solid year (but not as good as last year) and I bet the guy we got from TB will eat innings. If Bondo ends up injured (and his tests since his shoulder soreness are saying he's fine), we're going to be up the creek.

Old
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
sarcastro

Bondo was pitching like crap last year before he got injured. Ditto for BB Train. Nate was awful. Verlander was a shadow of his previous self. At least 3 of these guys are going to need to put in very solid seasons. I like the lineup, I like the defense, and I think the bullpen will be ok. I just can't get past the starting pitching.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:56 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Bondo was pitching like crap last year before he got injured. Ditto for BB Train. Nate was awful. Verlander was a shadow of his previous self. At least 3 of these guys are going to need to put in very solid seasons. I like the lineup, I like the defense, and I think the bullpen will be ok. I just can't get past the starting pitching.
Who is the closer? Rodney?

Old
03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Who is the closer? Rodney?
I think Lyon will keep it warm until Zumaya takes it over. Assuming he stays healthy. He looks like his arm is back to 100%, and he's old enough now and experienced enough that he knows how to use it better.

That, and I think Perry will be around if they run into trouble. I think with Perry, Zumaya, Lyon and Rodney pitching most of the important innings, the bullpen won't be the biggest problem. The problem I see is getting to the bullpen with a lead, and not getting there until the 7th inning in most games.

Bullpens are built around talented guys that have fluke seasons. Zumaya looks ready for another fluke season, and I'd say Perry is a candidate as well.

Rotations are more predictable, and in this case that's a bad thing.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Over his last four games, Bondo was working deeper into games and had lowered his era by half a run. The year before he was at an all-star pace before running into injury troubles and stupidly trying to pitch through them. And Verlander had two very good seasons before last. If they're healthy, I really don't worry about either of them showing up and at least eating some innings for us. Agree about Nate and Willis but, with any luck, we'll have four guys already in place ahead of them so they can battle for the fifth spot with Miner. Health is the big question mark.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
sarcastro

The entire rotation was under 4.00 ERA in 2006. I don't believe for a second that this group has that kind of season in them. Verlander might give them a 3.50 ERA if he's right, and let's say Jackson and Galarraga both give them 4.00 ERAs. Where are we going to get 70 more starts from, and what kind of ERA are we going to get in those starts? That's a lot of games to have zero confidence in your starters.

Maybe Porcello is a phenom and can fill in 35 of those starts. You're still looking at Miner probably having to hold up there if Bondo isn't healthy. I have no idea if he's capable.

Also, Bondo is still not healthy, and we don't know if he will be healthy any time soon. I was generous about Porcello - he probably is not ready. Galarraga could easily take a step back. Robertson and Willis are both lost causes.

Too many question marks. The offense will have to really, really mash.

Old
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Winger98
powers combined

George Kell passed away at the age of 86

George Kell, along with Al Kaline and Ernie Harwell on the radio, was the voice of the Tigers for me. He passed away in his sleep last night. RIP.

Old
03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
George Kell, along with Al Kaline and Ernie Harwell on the radio, was the voice of the Tigers for me. He passed away in his sleep last night. RIP.

At work today we were talking about George and Al on the TV side back in the day. I miss those days but the team wasn't all that good back when I was a wee lad.

People forget he was a Hall of Fame third baseman. He obviously played well before I was born but he was one of the greatest third baseman in Tigers' history.

Old
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
At work today we were talking about George and Al on the TV side back in the day. I miss those days but the team wasn't all that good back when I was a wee lad.

People forget he was a Hall of Fame third baseman. He obviously played well before I was born but he was one of the greatest third baseman in Tigers' history.
Probably the best bat the Tigers have had at that position, with Travis Fryman being second (which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing - Fryman was pretty underrated as a quality, every day player). It's just one of those spots where the Tigers have rarely had a great bat but seem to find some pretty good fielders.

Old
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Probably the best bat the Tigers have had at that position, with Travis Fryman being second (which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing - Fryman was pretty underrated as a quality, every day player). It's just one of those spots where the Tigers have rarely had a great bat but seem to find some pretty good fielders.
We did have Eddie Mathews in 1968... but yeah, I do agree with Kell being the best ever.

Old
03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Sheffield Released.

This really surprises me. While it's good for the team, freeing up a roster spot for someone who may actually be useful and healthy, it's a massive chunk of cash for Ilitch to throw away. Then again, Sheff was getting that money regardless so may as well do what was best for the team.

I wonder how this will shift things around in the lineup. I would love to se Guillen made the fulltime DH. It's unlikely his play in LF will be anything special and keeping him off the field should go a long way towards keeping him healthy.

Closed Thread