HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer One95 vs. S17

Old
03-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Hav-a-lot*

vCash: 500
Bauer One95 vs. S17

I'm on the market for the best stick available and narrowed it down to the One95 and the S17. Which do HFers prefer and why?

I prefer the lightest stick feasible. I focus my game on passing and wrist shots; I very rarely take slap shots (mainly because it puts my hard earned investment at more risk) and with that get a lot of miles out of my one piece. I used my Stealth CNT from fall of 06 up until last week and loved every moment. Looking to either replace that love or maybe even improve on it.

I've heard GREAT things about the One95 and the S17 appears to be the most popular stick out there.

p.s. What's the difference between the One95 and the One95 "Stick'Um"? Is that just grip..?

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:17 AM
190Octane

I can't speak to the one95s and the S17s because I haven't used any of the expensive one piece sticks because I decided that I wasn't going to spend over $100 on a stick anymore because I realized it's not going to make me better if my stick is 10 grams lighter.

I would like to ask you this though... what good is owning the best stick out there if you don't play to your full capability because you're afraid of breaking it? Are you trying to be the best player you can be or the player with the coolest hippest gear?

The stick'um is grip by the way, that I can answer.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
danyhabsfan

I use a bauer one95

I like it!

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Qubax

Yah I use the Bauer one 95 Stick and skates...Love both. The stick is amazing....incredible feel

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Hav-a-lot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
I can't speak to the one95s and the S17s because I haven't used any of the expensive one piece sticks because I decided that I wasn't going to spend over $100 on a stick anymore because I realized it's not going to make me better if my stick is 10 grams lighter.

I would like to ask you this though... what good is owning the best stick out there if you don't play to your full capability because you're afraid of breaking it? Are you trying to be the best player you can be or the player with the coolest hippest gear?

The stick'um is grip by the way, that I can answer.
I think almost anyone isn't fond of breaking a 200 dollar stick, but you don't have to let it shape your intensity. I'll take as many shots as you give me but I've never found much use for the slapper after juniors, so avoiding it isn't costly at any rate.

Nothing wrong with wanting the best performing equipment either

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquamch View Post
I think almost anyone isn't fond of breaking a 200 dollar stick, but you don't have to let it shape your intensity. I'll take as many shots as you give me but I've never found much use for the slapper after juniors, so avoiding it isn't costly at any rate.

Nothing wrong with wanting the best performing equipment either
There is when it effects how you play. I'll play with a $30.00 woodie any day of the week if it means I don't think about it when playing. If you're scared to break the stick, then don't buy a $200 stick. Buy a price point stick that will be a whopping 30-50 grams heavier, and most likely last an awful lot longer.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
There is when it effects how you play. I'll play with a $30.00 woodie any day of the week if it means I don't think about it when playing. If you're scared to break the stick, then don't buy a $200 stick. Buy a price point stick that will be a whopping 30-50 grams heavier, and most likely last an awful lot longer.
I agree with using a woodie over a really cheap composite. The s17 is good and so is the one95, it's just preference and what type of player you are. The one95 is better for slappers.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Stefan It Up

Neither stick is "better" for slapshots, wrist shots or whatever.
I do get a kick out of the S17 that I don't get out of the One95. Problem is that the oval shaped taper of the S17 has minor durability problems that would have me spending money on the One95 for now. So unless money is no problem or Easton re-designs the S17 a bit, I would choose One95 for durability.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
ShootIt

I have not tried a s17, but, I would suggest you to get the 95.

It is light, and honestly I love it.

The balance and shot I get out of it is great.

Plus, like others have said, it would seem to me the 95 would be more durable because of the taper of the 17.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Patrick96

S17 is better but breaks more easily.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 07:02 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
S17 is better but breaks more easily.
Me & my teammate had One95's that we won,

game 2 i broke mine, game 4 he broke his.. and i know more that has done the same, so idk :S

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
n80

One95 is one of the best. I like it.
S 17 is good too, but I prefer Bauer

n80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 02:52 AM
iceman_88888888

i can only speak for the s17. it's an amazing performance stick that has crazy 'pop' when you take a slapshot. it's got a nice low kickpoint so that your wrist shot off quick. the problem with the stick is in 2 parts: the blade breaks down extremely quickly and then the taper does have consistency issues. i've broken 3 s17's in a matter of a month of using each. 1 broke in the blade (the other 2 started to sound like the foam was breaking down) and 2 snapped at the taper.

the one95 feels good, feels like it has really good balance and just seems lighter than the listed weight. want to give it a try some time soon. i've had other nbh sticks before and they're all pretty good with the blades lasting longer than the shafts.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:40 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquamch View Post
I'm on the market for the best stick available and narrowed it down to the One95 and the S17. Which do HFers prefer and why?

I prefer the lightest stick feasible. I focus my game on passing and wrist shots; I very rarely take slap shots (mainly because it puts my hard earned investment at more risk) and with that get a lot of miles out of my one piece. I used my Stealth CNT from fall of 06 up until last week and loved every moment. Looking to either replace that love or maybe even improve on it.

I've heard GREAT things about the One95 and the S17 appears to be the most popular stick out there.

p.s. What's the difference between the One95 and the One95 "Stick'Um"? Is that just grip..?
I dont think either one is the "best stick available". The are great sticks, but i would check out the R10 or the Dolo. This of course is my own opinion, but these two sticks i mentioned i think are the best on the market right now.

P.S Mission sticks are actually pretty nice. A teammate just got one and i was using it abit in warm ups. Nice friggin stick.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont think either one is the "best stick available". The are great sticks, but i would check out the R10 or the Dolo. This of course is my own opinion, but these two sticks i mentioned i think are the best on the market right now.

P.S Mission sticks are actually pretty nice. A teammate just got one and i was using it abit in warm ups. Nice friggin stick.
I have the Dolomite, and at 445 grams, it isn't the lightest stick on the market. But with all these NHL'ers using it, it must be good if it's not even close to the lightest stick they could use.

Old
04-01-2009, 01:37 AM
CanadaBacon

I always thought that the heaviness was the side effect of the insane kick. Thats what i have always been told from Warrior fanatics and "Warrior Nation".

Who knows though.

Old
04-01-2009, 01:56 AM
190Octane

Quote:
I have the Dolomite, and at 445 grams, it isn't the lightest stick on the market. But with all these NHL'ers using it, it must be good if it's not even close to the lightest stick they could use.
Does 50 or even 100 grams make that much of a difference? Save the extra $50 per stick and buy a weight set.

In all seriousness though, people emphasis the weights of these sticks too much, if it weighs 400 or 500 it probably won't change your game much.

Old
04-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Does 50 or even 100 grams make that much of a difference? Save the extra $50 per stick and buy a weight set.

In all seriousness though, people emphasis the weights of these sticks too much, if it weighs 400 or 500 it probably won't change your game much.
A lot of the lower end sticks are quite heavy, and there's a reason why. Most range from 600-800 grams, nearly twice the weight as a high end OPS. The reason why? The materials they use are far cheaper to use, much heavier, and the technology behind a $50 stick makes it nearly pointless to use. You'll generally get a better shot with a wooden stick.

It isn't all about the weight, I can give you that, but a lighter stick will allow you to release a shot faster.

Old
04-01-2009, 02:26 AM
CanadaBacon

I cant really even notice much of a difference in weight between my R4, R8 and R10 (a little between R4 and R10) but nothing that changes my play. The only diffrence between these sticks is the speed of the puck coming off my blade (not the speed of my shot) if you know what i mean. And for some reason i can toe-drag like a mofo with the R10. Prob mental though.

The only time i notice weight is when i go to the Aircraft Cores. Those bad boys are heavy.

Old
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
190Octane

Quote:
A lot of the lower end sticks are quite heavy, and there's a reason why. Most range from 600-800 grams, nearly twice the weight as a high end OPS. The reason why? The materials they use are far cheaper to use, much heavier, and the technology behind a $50 stick makes it nearly pointless to use. You'll generally get a better shot with a wooden stick.

It isn't all about the weight, I can give you that, but a lighter stick will allow you to release a shot faster.
I agree with you that the super low end stick isn't going to be all that great but the mid range sticks aren't that bad. I just think it's stupid to spend $200 on a stick if you aren't already a high end player because the only advantage you are going to get is mental.

I will just stick with the two pieces, almost as light and the same performance.

Old
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
czechmate25

I swtched from Easton to Bauer two years ago and I wont be going back. I loved the one90....and I love the one95 even more. I guess it depends on how you play, but I'm easy on my sticks and I have yet to have a problem with any of the Nike/bauer's I have had.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 01:34 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I agree with you that the super low end stick isn't going to be all that great but the mid range sticks aren't that bad. I just think it's stupid to spend $200 on a stick if you aren't already a high end player because the only advantage you are going to get is mental.

I will just stick with the two pieces, almost as light and the same performance.
I wouldnt say it stupid. If you have the cash, go for it. Hell, you earned it (most of the time). If you start selling stuff to buy sticks, maybe its time to go back to woodies.