HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

new skates soon- input appreciated

Old
03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
new skates soon- input appreciated

So Im currently using my old Roller hockey skate boot (Mission D4) with a Koho Excalibur runner/set. I liked the boot, it was broken in, and it was a good deal at the time to get the chassis removed and the runner installed. Lately, however the boot seems to be falling apart, the lace-eyes are ripping, and back-tongue-thing is coming off, and some of the leather is also ripping.

So to shorten this post, in a few months (probably aiming towards June) Im going to get a new pair of skates. What are some skates I should consider? Here are a few things about me:
220lbs 5'10". 21 years of age. Im a bit on the heavy side, and (I think) I skate hard. I like the way the Easton S11's look, but from the looks of the reviews, theyre not fattie-friendly. Id also like to spend under 200$, so older models are my best bet.

also on a side note, Im going to also get a new set of elbow pads, because my Vectors fell apart on me last week, anybody have any experience with these? http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk073kepsr.html

thanks for the imput

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, you should buy nothing without trying it on. And the Stealths are good for wider shallow feet with a low arch, and the synergies are made with a deeper fit.

Don't buy skates on how they look. If you don't make sure they fit first, you'll be miserable.

And if you're hard on skates, higher end will be a lot better for you, they're stiffer and won't break down as fast.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

yeah ive virtually no arch. Imagine the flattest feet youve ever seen. those are mine.

Mission has always been foot friendly to me on inlines, currently im using the D4 boot, and Ive got a pair of Wicked 3's, both are comfortable after an extremely painful break in period.

If mission made a good ice skate Id probably go with that.

Also, I do plan on trying them on at my local shop, but purchasing online. My local shop is seriously overpriced. the markup is usually close to 100%.

edit: heres an interesting thought I had:
whats the major difference between a roller hockey skate and an Ice hockey skate? Or even, how much of a difference? (aside from the obvious- wheels, bearings, etc.)

Last edited by Hobgoblin Steve: 03-30-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old
03-30-2009, 10:14 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
yeah ive virtually no arch. Imagine the flattest feet youve ever seen. those are mine.

Mission has always been foot friendly to me on inlines, currently im using the D4 boot, and Ive got a pair of Wicked 3's, both are comfortable after an extremely painful break in period.

If mission made a good ice skate Id probably go with that.

Also, I do plan on trying them on at my local shop, but purchasing online. My local shop is seriously overpriced. the markup is usually close to 100%.

edit: heres an interesting thought I had:
whats the major difference between a roller hockey skate and an Ice hockey skate? Or even, how much of a difference? (aside from the obvious- wheels, bearings, etc.)

Construction of the boot is different. Roller skates typically have things on the sides of your toes to prevent wear from scraping the surface on turns.

If you thought the wicked 3s were bad, you should've tried the wicked1s. Those babies are how I learned about stockings. The bauer one90s I'm breaking in right now aren't nearly as bad.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

here are a few I can try on. If any of yas have these, a short review would be appreciated:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hsfuel110xpsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbhvapxviicsktsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbh70sktsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk083ksktsr.html

If the Mission one is about as good as the Wicked series Id go for that in a second. My W3's are great, Id suffer the break in period.

Again, my local store has all of these, but even if they feel good there, I dont want to end up getting a skate that wont last.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:48 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
here are a few I can try on. If any of yas have these, a short review would be appreciated:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hsfuel110xpsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbhvapxviicsktsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbh70sktsr.html
http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk083ksktsr.html

If the Mission one is about as good as the Wicked series Id go for that in a second. My W3's are great, Id suffer the break in period.

Again, my local store has all of these, but even if they feel good there, I dont want to end up getting a skate that wont last.
Well, with a low arch and a narrow foot the vapors will hurt your foot on both levels, and the supremes have a higher arch but are at least wider. that generation of them will be pretty shallow though.

The RBKs probably would fit you, but the 3k is going to break down in no time. It's a low end conventional construction skate, that's not going to last at all. Also, the RBK non composite footbed has been known to sag pretty badly on heavier guys.

A higher end RBK or an easton are probably your best bet in terms of fit. Unless you can find an old pair of high end tacks. They shouldn't run you too much if you can find them.

I really don't know much about the missions though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
stick9

Tip to the OP. There are several threads about skates and skate help. You should look through those threads, it may help answer some of your questions.

Missions are probably your best bet for under 200 bucks...and they fit. You're getting a higher level skate for less money because Mission is no more (bought by Bauer).

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Tip to the OP. There are several threads about skates and skate help. You should look through those threads, it may help answer some of your questions.

Missions are probably your best bet for under 200 bucks...and they fit. You're getting a higher level skate for less money because Mission is no more (bought by Bauer).
Heres the thing with looking at other peoples posts, skates, unlike more generalized equipment are more personal. Yeah I can get a rough Idea through someone elses build, but with the information I gave (height,weight,how I skate- and 4 potential skates) I can get a better idea of which will suit me better.

About Mission,
Ive never really had a problem with Mission, Ive always like their product and while the break in period sucks, the afterproduct usually lasts pretty long and is durable. However these opinions are from my experience with roller hockey gear, and not ice, so I dont know how they stack up against say Bauer or RBK, both mainly ice hockey manufacturers.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Well, with a low arch and a narrow foot the vapors will hurt your foot on both levels, and the supremes have a higher arch but are at least wider. that generation of them will be pretty shallow though.

The RBKs probably would fit you, but the 3k is going to break down in no time. It's a low end conventional construction skate, that's not going to last at all. Also, the RBK non composite footbed has been known to sag pretty badly on heavier guys.

A higher end RBK or an easton are probably your best bet in terms of fit. Unless you can find an old pair of high end tacks. They shouldn't run you too much if you can find them.

I really don't know much about the missions though.

I should note that Im not exactly a fattie. Imagine a Jagr build but short. most of my mass comes from my superwide shoulders. Id make one hell of a football player.

edit: to get a general idea of my size, while small, you can see from my avatar im not the smallest player.

Old
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
stick9

Quote:
Heres the thing with looking at other peoples posts, skates, unlike more generalized equipment are more personal. Yeah I can get a rough Idea through someone elses build, but with the information I gave (height,weight,how I skate- and 4 potential skates) I can get a better idea of which will suit me better.
But questions about durability, stiffness, fit and foot type could be answered. There may be other more knowledgeable posters commenting in another thread, but not this one. No one can make a good recommendation without a proper fitting. General rule of thumb, if it fits buy it.

Quote:
About Mission,
Ive never really had a problem with Mission, Ive always like their product and while the break in period sucks, the afterproduct usually lasts pretty long and is durable. However these opinions are from my experience with roller hockey gear, and not ice, so I dont know how they stack up against say Bauer or RBK, both mainly ice hockey manufacturers.
An inline boot isn't much different than in ice boot. Even if there were, the way the boot is constructed is still the same. Bauer is always going to have an edge over Mission, but what good is a rocking Bauer skate if it doesn't fit your foot type?

For your price range you're looking at a lower end Bauer compared to a near top of the line Mission. Just for the sake of argument let say that made them equal. Wouldn't the better choice be the one that's worked well for you in the past?

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Synergy27

I used these Mission skates for several years:

http://www.hockeyworld.com/prodHome....on%20flyweight

They were top of the line at one point, but can be had for dirt cheap now if you can find them in your size. The boot is insanely stiff (which I like), and I convinced myself that the torsion bar on the holder helped make the skate even stiffer for better power transfer. I am 6'0" and fluctuate between 185-195 lbs. so I like a really tough boot, and those did the trick for me for awhile.

That said, I bought a pair of Supreme One75s a couple weeks ago and they blow the Missions out of the water. I always thought my Missions fit fine until I tried on the One75s. The only word I have been using to describe how much I love them is "revelation".

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote