HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike Knuble Nominated for Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy

Old
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Mike Knuble Nominated for Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy

I didn't see a thread about this.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...5692529417.txt

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — Every season, the NHL presents the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy to a player in the league who best shows perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to the sport of hockey.

In recent seasons, it has become an honor bestowed on players who have either come back from a serious injury or have overcome an illness.

This season, the NHL has decided to shed a bit more light on this prestigious, but often overlooked honor, by announcing each of the 30 nominees in groups of five per day to highlight those players and their accomplishments. The recipient will also receive his award at the annual League awards ceremony in June rather than just being announced during the playoffs.

With all the attention, the hope is the criteria outlined for the award will be used when naming a winner. If that’s the case, then the Flyers’ nominee should have a real shot at winning the award.

The Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has selected Mike Knuble as this season’s nominee.

Knuble will be announced along with the nominees from the other Atlantic Division clubs today.

Knuble, 36, is the elder statesman of the Flyers, yet doesn’t let his age diminish his skills. In an era where the sport is dominated by the younger superstars, Knuble still plugs along as an every situation player, skating on the Flyers top line, top power play unit and is one of six forwards who regularly kills penalties.

Entering play Sunday, he was the leading goal scorer in the NHL among the 35-and-over crowd with 26 goals, and among players his age and older, he ranked fourth in points.

He played in his 800th game in the NHL recently, which he said is 799 more than he ever thought he’d play. He has a goal of reaching 1,000 games.

“I don’t know if the younger players are getting better or you’re getting worse,” Knuble said of the game of hockey today. “But, I think you’re as young as you feel. If you slip, if you say to yourself that you don’t feel as good or you’re injured, those might accelerate and lead to your downfall. I didn’t play a lot when I was younger, so maybe it’s the (lack of) mileage. But I still feel good.”

Good enough to be a regular contributor at an advanced age. But it’s more than that.

When it comes to sportsmanship, Knuble is as well-respected on the ice as off it. He is a player who plays hard between whistles and hardly ever gets mixed up in extracurricular activities. As a result, his lifetime 486 penalty minutes are pretty miniscule compared to his 810 games.

It’s his dedication to his craft that is most admirable, both on and off the ice. He impresses his younger mates with his offseason and daily workout regimen, and then has the clout to convince his teammates to help out in several of the charities with which he is involved.

He created the Mike Knuble Family Foundation to raise money for the Van Andel Institute (an independent research organization focusing on cancer, Parkinson and cardio-vascular disease research) as well as Flyers’ charities, Charlie’s Fight (a cystic fibrosis fundraiser) and the Comcast-Spectacor Foundation.

He operates two charity golf tournaments, one in Philadelphia and one in Grand Rapids, Mich., and he has also served as a spokesman for breast cancer awareness.

If that’s not enough, this past Christmas he took up a collection from his teammates and went shopping at Target to buy coats, clothes and toys for underprivileged children.

“When you come through the league, in the position we’re in, we’re probably looked at a little bit differently than a lot of people,” Knuble said. “And if you understand that, as you get older and realize that you have some resources that you can use to help other people out, help your community out and stuff like that — it takes a little bit of extra work and that turns a lot of guys off.

“It takes some work and you need some good people around you. You get all the credit, but there are always good people behind you. But it’s been fun … You give back to the community and it’s fun to do. It takes work and some of the guys don’t want the distraction, but I think as you get older, you realize the position you’re in.”

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
turkinaa

I saw it and I might be biased, but I hope he wins it.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Knuble and not Gagne?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

That's awesome, nice to see Knuble getting some recognition.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Knuble and not Gagne?
Yeah really. I would have bet the farm on that one.

So what, a 36 year old still producing? That's not as uncommon as someone in Gagne's situation. Not only is he back after missing year form concussions but he's also thriving.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Knuble and not Gagne?
I'd have bet all my vCash it would have been Gagne. Not to take anything away from Knuble, but this is a little silly. It should be Gagne, no questions asked.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
chaosof99*

While Knuble has a better case to be on the list than a few others, it's an absolute Travesty that he was nominated and not Gagné. Anyways, Richard Zednik will win it (if he's nominated). If not him, then Steve Sullivan.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I posted this in the OT thread, but Knuble's bio better suits a King Clancy Trophy nomination.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
ThePiousInfant

The REAL reason: extending goodwill to Knuble so he stays for below market value...

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Yeah really. I would have bet the farm on that one.

So what, a 36 year old still producing? That's not as uncommon as someone in Gagne's situation. Not only is he back after missing year form concussions but he's also thriving.
The gist I get is that it's largely based on the significant amount of charity work Knuble does.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
TehBBA

Maybe Gags asked the team not to nominate him as a reminder to other teams to start taking headshots at him again, and asked them as a (the) team representative to nominate Knuble instead?

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd have bet all my vCash it would have been Gagne. Not to take anything away from Knuble, but this is a little silly. It should be Gagne, no questions asked.
Do you do V-bets on all the awards at the end of the season, Opie?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Knuble and not Gagne?
I thought that. Missing an entire season and coming back with 30 goals? That's pretty impressive.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
frick

Quote:
Knuble and not Gagne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I am surprised too. I thought the nominee would have been Gagne.

That being said, good luck to Knuble. He does a lot of charity work, so he certainly deserves a shot at winning.

frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Miss Mess

Go Knuble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
The REAL reason: extending goodwill to Knuble so he stays for below market value...
Hah interesting...

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
save rebound score

Wow, surprised it isn't Gags...

save rebound score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

No love for gags

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Do you do V-bets on all the awards at the end of the season, Opie?
Hopefully.

The only way it's a no, is if I can't find odds...but I'm pretty sure they'll have odds for this type of thing.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Norm MacDonald

Good. Now we just need a Lady Byng winner and we're all set.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote