HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread 08-09, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2009, 07:53 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Wilkie blew out his knee before reaching bust status. He was a physical bust, not a talent bust.
Just looking at Wilkie's stats in Junior and in the AHL. He had all the tools to succeed. he was 6 foot 3, 215 pounds. His last year in juinor he had 27G 18A in 29 Games. He seemed to be injured a lot in Junior though as he only played 56 games his las two junior seasons COMBINED.

He ripped it up his first year of the AHL in Fredericton with 53 points in 70 games. We had such high hopes for him when he was called up in 1995-1996 and he proceeded to score 5 goals along with 12 assists in only 23 games.

Anyways, back to the present day AHL. Weber has been an absolute stud this year in Hamilton and along with Subban, should give us that extra offence from the back end that we are missing except for Markov.

Old
03-28-2009, 09:29 AM
AllCanadienFan

Dogs clinch playoff berth with point in Winnipeg. They are the third best AHL team in goals for and against. I think the 6th best in total points. We should be able to go deep in the playoffs. Two concerns, we can't hold leads, lost three of last five that way & special teams could hurt us. Haven't checked the stats but I would bet in the last 12 games we are not very good. Should I be worried?

Old
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

nice move by Pacioretty, I thought he was going to score a higlight reel goal after a sick deke, but Schneider stoned him. Nucks got a good one in Schneider, I could see him taking the moose all the way this year, although I hope not since it would mean the Dogs were knocked out.

1-1 in the 2nd. Trotter from Desharnias and Belle

Guillaume Desbiens runs Maxwell, so Henery grabs him and drops em, what a beat down he put on Desbiens.

Wyman almost got one shorthanded, he and White were on the PK and Wyman had a brust of speed, went right past both defensemen, tried to go 5-hole but Schneider came up big. Right after the penalty enede, Pacioretty had nice pass to Maxwell, Schneider robbed him in the final seconds of the 2nd.

Last edited by montreal: 03-29-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
bleuetbio

the cyclones signs Kirk Medernach, a 6"4", 220 lbs, righthander defenceman. Who's the owner: Nashville or Montreal?

Old
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
the cyclones signs Kirk Medernach, a 6"4", 220 lbs, righthander defenceman. Who's the owner: Nashville or Montreal?
Nobody.

Old
03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Nobody.
thanks for the info

Old
03-30-2009, 04:20 AM
sukimono

53 points in 68 games. What a nice rookie season for Maxwell. This guy is going to make a heck of a second line center.

Better version of Joe Pavelski.

Old
03-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
53 points in 68 games. What a nice rookie season for Maxwell. This guy is going to make a heck of a second line center.

I don't know about that. Check out Pavelski's numbers when he was the same age as Maxwell: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=69898 For Maxwell to match Pavelski next year, he'll have to dominate the AHL, and then have a very good (3rd line at least) half season in the NHL. I don't think anyone expects that, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
03-30-2009, 08:03 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

what a tough loss, Dogs got one late to make it close but the moose may be the best team in the AHL this year. Dogs miss out on a chance to catch GR, so they are 4 pts back with 5 games left.

The good news has been the play of Pacioretty since being sent down. He was the 3rd star last night and Hamilton's best player imo, although I hope to see him pick up the physical game a little more, his offensive game looks good, setting up plays with some great passes.

Jancevski was recalled so that's why he didn't play last night, no word on how long he'll be in the nhl. But with the Dogs depth, they are fine, Henry, Weber, Carle, Janik, Belle and Kemp is a solid group for sure. Can't wait for the playoffs to start.

Quote:

He's having an impressive season for sure. So is Desharnais, Weber and Trotter, crazy to see the 4 in the top 18 in rookie scoring in the league. If Pacioretty didn't miss so much time in the nhl, he likely would be there, as he was leading the team in assists before his recall, and if Olivier Latendresse didn't get hurt, he might be up there, as he was on a tear before the injury.

On a sidenote, Lehoux got demoted to the 4th line yesterday, as he has 2 pts in his last 11 games.

Old
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
what a tough loss, Dogs got one late to make it close but the moose may be the best team in the AHL this year. Dogs miss out on a chance to catch GR, so they are 4 pts back with 5 games left.

The good news has been the play of Pacioretty since being sent down. He was the 3rd star last night and Hamilton's best player imo, although I hope to see him pick up the physical game a little more, his offensive game looks good, setting up plays with some great passes.

Jancevski was recalled so that's why he didn't play last night, no word on how long he'll be in the nhl. But with the Dogs depth, they are fine, Henry, Weber, Carle, Janik, Belle and Kemp is a solid group for sure. Can't wait for the playoffs to start.
According to the Dallas message board the two injured Dmen they have will not be making their road trip so it sounds like he may be there for at least a week. I doubt they make the playoffs so DanJan will probably be back no later than that.

Old
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:

he didn't get serious injury. That what impress me the most about him.

Old
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

http://www.theahl.com/news/league/in...rticle_id=9772

Nice article on Ben Maxwell.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

He's having an impressive season for sure. So is Desharnais, Weber and Trotter, crazy to see the 4 in the top 18 in rookie scoring in the league. If Pacioretty didn't miss so much time in the nhl, he likely would be there, as he was leading the team in assists before his recall, and if Olivier Latendresse didn't get hurt, he might be up there, as he was on a tear before the injury.

On a sidenote, Lehoux got demoted to the 4th line yesterday, as he has 2 pts in his last 11 games.

But but but... he was sooooo NHL ready

Old
03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I did a little write up on my site on the Dogs playoff run and possible run for Cincy again. This marks the first time the Dogs will be in the playoffs since winning the Calder and Cincy will try to repeat their ECHL championship as they have been in 1st place most of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
Thanks for the link, it's been a very good year for him and the rest of the Hamilton rookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
According to the Dallas message board the two injured Dmen they have will not be making their road trip so it sounds like he may be there for at least a week. I doubt they make the playoffs so DanJan will probably be back no later than that.
Yea I'm sure he'll be back for the playoffs, nice to see him get a callup even if it's just for a little.

Old
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Félix Petit will finish the year with the Cyclones
He also signed a contract for next year and he will play with Cincinnati in 2009-2010 if he doesn't find a spot in the AHL

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-quotidi...s-cyclones.php

Stats
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89535

Old
03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Toro

As the season wraps up, i am not happy with the goaltending in Hamilton. Denis has been average and Desjardins is emerging but is still learning. Hamilton has a great team, better than when they won a couple years back but doesn't even come close in the goaltending department.

This weekend Hamilton out played manitoba and lost both games by a goal. In not very comfortable going into the playoffs with this tandem. Unless one of them goes on a tear or Lacasse is called up, sadly I see the goaltending letting this team down in the post season.

Im not sure the teams offence and all around play can over come the goaltending they are getting from Denis.

man I hope i'm wrong and Denis makes me eat crow.

Old
03-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I don't know about that. Check out Pavelski's numbers when he was the same age as Maxwell: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=69898 For Maxwell to match Pavelski next year, he'll have to dominate the AHL, and then have a very good (3rd line at least) half season in the NHL. I don't think anyone expects that, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Not quite... Maxwell will be 21 at the start of next season. At that age, Pavelski was starting his 2nd and last season at U. of Wisconsin.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
As the season wraps up, i am not happy with the goaltending in Hamilton. Denis has been average and Desjardins is emerging but is still learning. Hamilton has a great team, better than when they won a couple years back but doesn't even come close in the goaltending department.

This weekend Hamilton out played manitoba and lost both games by a goal. In not very comfortable going into the playoffs with this tandem. Unless one of them goes on a tear or Lacasse is called up, sadly I see the goaltending letting this team down in the post season.

Im not sure the teams offence and all around play can over come the goaltending they are getting from Denis.

man I hope i'm wrong and Denis makes me eat crow.
Denis has been very good of late, I don't think he's going to steal games, but he usually gets the job done. The Moose imo are the best team in the AHL, and they have the best goalie, and are tops in the league in gaa, so this past weekend shouldn't have been much of a surprise.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

I wonder what Hamilton's defense will look like next season?

McDonagh, Subban, Emelin, Fischer and Torp all have a chance to play in the AHL next season. Emelin is the long shot, because we don't know if he'll come over or not.

Plus, Weber and Carle could still be in Hamilton next season.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 03-31-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added Torp.
Old
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

McDonagh, Subban, Emelin and Fischer all have a chance to play in the AHL next season. Emelin is the long shot, because we don't know if he'll come over or not.

Korneev is also a possibility, as he has no contract after this season is over. not sure about valentenko....

Paquet may be ready too.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Toro

Quote:
Denis has been very good of late, I don't think he's going to steal games, but he usually gets the job done. The Moose imo are the best team in the AHL, and they have the best goalie, and are tops in the league in gaa, so this past weekend shouldn't have been much of a surprise.
I think that with a better goalie, Hamilton is the best team in the AHL. With a better goalie they beat the Moose both games this past weekend. With a better goalie they would have a good chance at another title.

I don't want to be negative but Denis has not impressed all year. Hopefully he brings his A game for the playoffs.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

McDonagh, Subban, Emelin and Fischer all have a chance to play in the AHL next season. Emelin is the long shot, because we don't know if he'll come over or not.

Im pretty sure Weber will graduate next year.. Subban might not start the year in Montreal but Im convinced he can burn some steps and at least play some games with the Habs, maybe a regular in the second half who knows..

Old
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Denis was one of the best goalie in the Ahl this year

Old
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Korneev is also a possibility, as he has no contract after this season is over. not sure about valentenko....

Paquet may be ready too.
If Korneev came over I think he'd play in Montreal.

Old
03-31-2009, 12:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

McDonagh, Subban, Emelin, Fischer and Torp all have a chance to play in the AHL next season. Emelin is the long shot, because we don't know if he'll come over or not.

I'd be surprised if half of the bolded players were in Hamilton next year, cause if more then half, that's going to be one very young D in Hamilton. Only Subban can be counted on as being signed, I'm interested to see what happens with the rest this summer. I'd lean towards Fischer going back to school and while I would guess that McDonagh will turn pro this summer, we'll see if that's the case after the development camp ala Pacioretty last summer.

Belle, Weber and Carle should all be there. Wyman is looking good on Chipchura's line so I wonder if they will opt to keep him on the wing now, especailly since we have so many RD's in our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Félix Petit will finish the year with the Cyclones
He also signed a contract for next year and he will play with Cincinnati in 2009-2010 if he doesn't find a spot in the AHL
Nice to see Petit get a look with the Cyclones after a couple tryouts with the Habs.

Quote:

Paquet may be ready too.
I would think that if Korneev came over, it would be to play in the NHL only, but at this point I'd just be happy if he agreed to come over.

Paquet it sounds like the Habs will pass on signing him, not sure if it's the injury problems he's had or if they feel he hasn't progressed enough. I know that his coach said Paquet was the most likely player on his team this year to play in the NHL and that's with several drafted prospects on his team. (and this was during an interview in between periods so it's not like he was just saying that to someone from the Habs or Habs media)

Quote:
I think that with a better goalie, Hamilton is the best team in the AHL. With a better goalie they beat the Moose both games this past weekend. With a better goalie they would have a good chance at another title.

I don't want to be negative but Denis has not impressed all year. Hopefully he brings his A game for the playoffs.
Yea with a better goalie, Hamilton would be a better team, as they are already one of the top teams in the AHL points wise. The problem all year has not been the goaltending aside from a couple bad games here and there, one thing is that the Dogs have lost of a lot of close games, look at how few overtime/shootout games they have played. They are the only team in the league that doesn't have a los in the shootout and have 4 losses in OT. They are right up there among the league leaders in wins, so had they been able to force a couple more OT games, they'd likely be sitting in 2nd place right now.

The Moose have the best goalie in the league imo, so even with a better goalie, I'd be surprised if the Dogs can beat them.

Closed Thread