HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buf-Phi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2009, 04:05 AM
  #1
ColonelForbin
Registered User
 
ColonelForbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Buf-Phi

Buffalo: Derek Roy (Cap Hit: 4.0M) + 2nd rounder 2010

Philadelphia: Daniel Briere (Cap Hit: 6.5M)


Why Buffalo does it: The Sabres desperately need a leader in the top-six, and Briere has proven he can be that in Buffalo. They could also use a clear first line center, which Roy hasn't been able to consistently be.

Why Philadelphia does it: They have a number of large contracts, which could make it difficult to manage things if the cap contracts. They are also already strong at center with Carter and Richards. Roy has shown the ability to adapt well to the wing.


Buffalo would need to make a separate trade to shed salary. Tallinder and Lydman have already been mentioned as trade possibilities by some.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:09 AM
  #2
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
Just as an FYI, the Flyers don't have a 2nd in 2010, or 2011 for that matter.


Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:11 AM
  #3
ColonelForbin
Registered User
 
ColonelForbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Just as an FYI, the Flyers don't have a 2nd in 2010, or 2011 for that matter.

I'm pretty sure Buffalo does though. They are trading the pick.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:00 AM
  #4
Left Of The Dial
Registered User
 
Left Of The Dial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Buffalo: Derek Roy (Cap Hit: 4.0M) + 2nd rounder 2010

Philadelphia: Daniel Briere (Cap Hit: 6.5M)


Why Buffalo does it: The Sabres desperately need a leader in the top-six, and Briere has proven he can be that in Buffalo. They could also use a clear first line center, which Roy hasn't been able to consistently be.

Why Philadelphia does it: They have a number of large contracts, which could make it difficult to manage things if the cap contracts. They are also already strong at center with Carter and Richards. Roy has shown the ability to adapt well to the wing.

Buffalo would need to make a separate trade to shed salary. Tallinder and Lydman have already been mentioned as trade possibilities by some.
Why would Buffalo trade a guy who is at worst a second line center, with a pretty good contract, for a slightly more gifted offensive talent who has trouble staying healthy with a pretty terrible contract? Roy is a 70-80 point player who can play in all situations, while Briere is basically a defensively challenged, more injury-prone powerplay specialist. How is Briere even a top line center anymore?

This is way too risky for Buffalo to think about. They already are counting on Connolly to center the first or second line, and adding Briere means they would have their top 2 centers be pretty big injury risks. Roy might not get any better than he is right now, but he's a bargain for a durable 70 point center who can kill penalties and seems to be a decent leader.


Last edited by Left Of The Dial: 04-01-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:50 AM
  #5
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
Why would Buffalo trade a guy who is at worst a second line center, with a pretty good contract, for a slightly more gifted offensive talent who has trouble staying healthy with a pretty terrible contract? Roy is a 70-80 point player who can play in all situations, while Briere is basically a defensively challenged, more injury-prone powerplay specialist. How is Briere even a top line center anymore?

This is way too risky for Buffalo to think about. They already are counting on Connolly to center the first or second line, and adding Briere means they would have their top 2 centers be pretty big injury risks. Roy might not get any better than he is right now, but he's a bargain for a durable 70 point center who can kill penalties and seems to be a decent leader.
why is briere injury prone? he got injured this year, but he really hasn't missed all that much time prior to this. briere also has experience in being a leader, which is kind of what the OP was looking for. to be honest, i don't know why buffalo would deal roy for briere, since they would probably want to acquire briere to add to their offense without taking away one of their best weapons.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:45 AM
  #6
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,081
vCash: 500
Awards:
Regarding the original deal... no thanks. Roy at his contract value for Briere at his makes this a non-starter for Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
why is briere injury prone? he got injured this year, but he really hasn't missed all that much time prior to this...
He's missed significant time in two of the last four seasons with groin/sports hernia problems. He's been in and out of the lineup all year with that issue -- this may be the start of something chronic and makes that contract even more unpalatable.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:03 AM
  #7
Left Of The Dial
Registered User
 
Left Of The Dial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
why is briere injury prone? he got injured this year, but he really hasn't missed all that much time prior to this. briere also has experience in being a leader, which is kind of what the OP was looking for. to be honest, i don't know why buffalo would deal roy for briere, since they would probably want to acquire briere to add to their offense without taking away one of their best weapons.
I'll be honest and say I didn't really do my research that well, because for some reason I thought Briere missed significant time last year. Briere still has had enough injury problems this year to make me worry, and with his size, those injuries seem even more scary.

I just don't see Briere being enough of an offensive upgrade to justify the extra salary, the added injury risk and the defensive downgrade. Briere would be good for the Buffalo powerplay, but he just doesn't seem to be a very good even-strength player these days. His +/- from last year is shocking considering his team and the number of points he scored.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:38 AM
  #8
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,766
vCash: 965
Pretty sure Briere doesn't want to go back to Buffalo.


Briere has already been playing wing and has been playing well.


His contract is not a concern.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
  #9
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,892
vCash: 500
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
for a slightly more gifted offensive talent who has trouble staying healthy
He's only ever had one difficult injury in his career and he seems to be over it.

Quote:
with a pretty terrible contract?
$6.5m for a 90 point (if fit) forward isn't bad at all. It's also front-loaded so the biggest years are out of the way.

Why do people persist in spouting out the same old nonsense about Briere?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
  #10
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
I'm pretty sure Buffalo does though. They are trading the pick.
Wow! This is why I should have been sleeping at 5:09 and not posting...my apologies.

Flyers perspective, I think I'd take this!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
  #11
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Sigh...



He's only ever had one difficult injury in his career and he seems to be over it.



$6.5m for a 90 point (if fit) forward isn't bad at all. It's also front-loaded so the biggest years are out of the way.

Why do people persist in spouting out the same old nonsense about Briere?
Perhaps people keep spouting it out because misleading information is also being spouted out. The contract is front-loaded SALARY wise, not in terms of cap-hit. This is why later on he will be difficult to move if the Flyers need to do something about it, and also why other teams view him as having low trade-value. Right now the Flyers have more use for Briere than he would fetch on the block, but in the future

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:03 AM
  #12
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,081
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Perhaps people keep spouting it out because misleading information is also being spouted out. The contract is front-loaded SALARY wise, not in terms of cap-hit. This is why later on he will be difficult to move if the Flyers need to do something about it, and also why other teams view him as having low trade-value. Right now the Flyers have more use for Briere than he would fetch on the block, but in the future

While it is front-loaded, the difference in real dollars next year is $4.5 million (when Briere is 32 and Roy is 26), then $3 million, then $2.5 million, and finally $ 2 million at the end of Roy's deal... when he's 29 and Briere is 35. It's bad value for the Sabres now and in the future. That Danny's 36-year old and 37-year old seasons are for only $3 and $2 million respectively has nothing to do with it.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM
  #13
TehDoak
I Like Eich
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 19,865
vCash: 903
No, no, and no.

That'd make Buffalo's top 2 centers Connolly and briere. Its not unreasonable to think that we could be 30-40 games without both of them at the same time.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
  #14
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's missed significant time in two of the last four seasons with groin/sports hernia problems. He's been in and out of the lineup all year with that issue -- this may be the start of something chronic and makes that contract even more unpalatable.
the injuries were two years apart and likely were not related. how can that be considered chronic? people were saying the same thing about gagne, how he was on the verge of having chronic concussion issues. thus far, he's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
I'll be honest and say I didn't really do my research that well, because for some reason I thought Briere missed significant time last year. Briere still has had enough injury problems this year to make me worry, and with his size, those injuries seem even more scary.

I just don't see Briere being enough of an offensive upgrade to justify the extra salary, the added injury risk and the defensive downgrade. Briere would be good for the Buffalo powerplay, but he just doesn't seem to be a very good even-strength player these days. His +/- from last year is shocking considering his team and the number of points he scored.
gagne missed most of last year, but briere was in it for most of it. i agree that briere isn't better than roy enough to warrant dealing for him. regarding his pts/+/-, a lot of his points were on the power play and thus did not add anything to his +/-. add his pp points and he'd be a + player. his issues is about even strength time, and he's been much better this season in that regard ever since being moved to wing.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
  #15
madpooh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Perhaps people keep spouting it out because misleading information is also being spouted out. The contract is front-loaded SALARY wise, not in terms of cap-hit. This is why later on he will be difficult to move if the Flyers need to do something about it, and also why other teams view him as having low trade-value. Right now the Flyers have more use for Briere than he would fetch on the block, but in the future
Over the next 4 years Briere gets 29 mil, while Roy will get 13.5 mil.

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
  #16
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 18,012
vCash: 500
The 2nd makes me say yes if I was a Philly fan

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:13 AM
  #17
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,102
vCash: 500
Not Even Close.

Philly wins this deal hands down.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
  #18
BeastMode2326
Registered User
 
BeastMode2326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Ha!

I'll keep that younger, more durable, 70-80 point center with one of the best contracts in the league.

BeastMode2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
  #19
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Sigh...



He's only ever had one difficult injury in his career and he seems to be over it.



$6.5m for a 90 point (if fit) forward isn't bad at all. It's also front-loaded so the biggest years are out of the way.

Why do people persist in spouting out the same old nonsense about Briere?
Why do Flyer fans insist on proposing trades involving Briere, then talk him up like he's one of the best centers in the league? If he's that good - you wouldn't want to rid yourselves of his contract. Besides Buff wouldn't do this deal - Roy's 6 yrs younger, is scoring at a better pace then Briere at 25, and he is a first line PP and PK guy, and he's as good if not better in the face off circle, not to mention he's 2.5 mil per yr cheaper. Then you propose a 2nd from Buff as well???

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:44 AM
  #20
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpooh View Post
Over the next 4 years Briere gets 29 mil, while Roy will get 13.5 mil.
I'm trying to say that most fans on these boards have a gripe with the cap-hit, not the salary. Many teams can usually handle paying a guy off (although Buffalo might not be one of them). I am agreeing with most that this trade is unreasonable, and almost any trade with Briere in it will be unreasonable for one of the teams involved. The Flyers have more value for him on the team right now than he will fetch on the market. I hate repeating myself.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:44 AM
  #21
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang
 
FlyLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Livin the High Life
Country: United States
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Why do Flyer fans insist on proposing trades involving Briere, then talk him up like he's one of the best centers in the league? If he's that good - you wouldn't want to rid yourselves of his contract. Besides Buff wouldn't do this deal - Roy's 6 yrs younger, is scoring at a better pace then Briere at 25, and he is a first line PP and PK guy, and he's as good if not better in the face off circle, not to mention he's 2.5 mil per yr cheaper. Then you propose a 2nd from Buff as well???
Is the original poster even a Flyers fan? Doesn't look like it to me...

And people put Briere in trades because they always want to fix our "terrible cap problems", and the fact that we have the best center depth in the league, with Richards, Carter, Briere and now Giroux down the middle, its pretty ****ing easy to figure out why people would put Briere in a trade proposal.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
  #22
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Why do Flyer fans insist on proposing trades involving Briere, then talk him up like he's one of the best centers in the league? If he's that good - you wouldn't want to rid yourselves of his contract. Besides Buff wouldn't do this deal - Roy's 6 yrs younger, is scoring at a better pace then Briere at 25, and he is a first line PP and PK guy, and he's as good if not better in the face off circle, not to mention he's 2.5 mil per yr cheaper. Then you propose a 2nd from Buff as well???

The OP isn't a Flyers fan, as far as I can tell. The real question is : why don't people read the threads in which they post?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
  #23
ColonelForbin
Registered User
 
ColonelForbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode2326 View Post
Ha!

I'll keep that younger, more durable, 70-80 point center with one of the best contracts in the league.
Is younger really such a selling point right now? The Sabres foward corps is woefully lacking in leadership.

Tim Connolly was incredibly durable over the first few years of his career. It's impossible to predict the future that way. Briere has had his troubles, but I don't think it's fair to call him injury prone. He played two full seasons before this one.

The Sabres may lose the deal from a value standpoint, but I think a majority of Sabres fans would agree that the team would have a better chance of making the playoffs the next two or three years if Briere replaced Roy in the lineup.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  #24
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The OP isn't a Flyers fan, as far as I can tell. The real question is : why don't people read the threads in which they post?
I assumed he was a flyers fan because of how lopsided the deal was

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
  #25
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Is the original poster even a Flyers fan? Doesn't look like it to me...

And people put Briere in trades because they always want to fix our "terrible cap problems", and the fact that we have the best center depth in the league, with Richards, Carter, Briere and now Giroux down the middle, its pretty ****ing easy to figure out why people would put Briere in a trade proposal.
My point was that some flyer fans get quite worked up when people criticize Briere and his contract, and talk about how good he is and that his contract is justified - he is constantly called a 90pt guy (which he has done once). If Briere was truly that valuable, and if he was a consistent 90pt guy - you wouldn't be willing to move him no matter what the cap situation was. In the current market of uncertainty it will be tough to get fair value for him because people don't want a 60-70 pt guy @ 6.5 cap hit - and they definitely don't want a 37 yr old (when the contract expires) making 6.5

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.