HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
Random Thoughts to close out the season for me until the recruiting rumours and such start to heat up

Congrats to UNB, on a great season, overcoming alot of injuries at different points of the season, to put together solid numbers, we really only had one bad game all year and that was game three of the AUS final, and really with allowing the HUskies to only 18 shots on goal in that game, a couple bad breaks really I dont think it was as bad as it looked

At The nationals with Tremblay Out, the team stepped up and played as a team and did what they had to do. Travis Fullarton stepped up and proved he was for real (Where does this leave Yeomans for next season?) John Scott Dixon, was and always is a true team player, he could score 20 goals a year easily, but chooses to play both ways for the team. Kyle Bailey logged a ton of minutes and will no doubt be Captain of UNB next season, MacIntosh obviously had a great tournament. I think maybe I was most impressed by Kevin Henderson, Hes a great talent, but I have always found in his two years here, he has never been a great team player, I got the impression he was more focused on individual goals, not a very good bet to make a pass to a teamate, and would rather go one on one with the defenseman. I have to take it all back now, as he was huge in this tourny, tons of minutes, he battled along the boards, he passed the puck, he skated well (perhaps his greatest improvement this year, is his skating and speed) and he was a monster on the penalty kill. There is no doubt there was scouts, eyeing this guy.

as Far as next year goes the future looks bright, Friesen is a big loss no doubt, Cuddihy not as much, with a better player in Daine Todd waiting for the new season. Not sure how many 4th years will be back, but with Gardner Recruiting, the nationals at UNB looming, and the word of mouth of the program they have developped.....cant wait

When Fredericton hosted the tournament they sold out of the passes all together, when Moncton hosted they sold as many passes as possible (Much bigger rink) and offered invividual tickets for what ever was left, I think at $ 30 or $ 35 a piece. This is something Lakehead should have done, you can advertise going into the tournament that only passes were available, but come game time, you mays well sell more, why not? Also Fredericton had anyone not interested in the afternoon pool games, or for that matter any other games, that bought passes to urge them to donate the tickets which in turn they gave out to school kids and such, it was a good idea and made for a great environment.

Bob Mongrain- Maybe its just me, but I think Moncton will do just fine without him, Mongrain took over an extremely talented already loaded team in time for the CIS Nationals, since than, I don't feel he has recruited as strongly out of the QMJHL, like Previous coaches

Pete Beliveau - I guess I don't know the full story, but I can not for the life of me figure out why Lakehead got rid of this guy, He built the Lakehead program from Scratch, and is a huge part of what is going on their today, I just don't understand what happen there.

OUA - I was totally impressed by Western and Lakehead, I knew Lakehead had a strong program going into the season, but I was impressed on how the Mustangs handled SMU and than kept it close againts UNB, there is no question, about the Division they play in, its very strong, and it obviously makes a difference, compared to teams like UQTR etc, playing on a weaker side. Its too bad they could not get like a 12 team OUA going and a 6 team Quebec conference, cause they is definately other quebec schools, im surprised are not playing hockey

The AUS - I feel next season is going to be one hell of a season, UNB and SMU will be big dogs again, Moncton and Acadia have very young talented teams that will only get Better. Dylan Taylor has done a great job rebuilding UPEI, Pete Beliveau in Dalhousie, with time now for this to be his team, you know they are going to improve, he can recruit. St Thomas is sure to be better than they were this year, and you can never count out Brad Pettles Xmen. Should be an interesting year.

Canada West - You know the Bears and Huskies will be around again, but theyre seemed to be huge improvements from the other teams, Calgary underachieved big time this year but they have talent, the Bisons always seem to be competitive, Regina, UBC and Lethbridge have made big Strides this season. One thing about the West this year, is they was not one really bad team, and the worst team was pretty good

This Board - I dont post alot, but I read this board each and every day, its awsome, Its the best place to go for us CIS Fans. And it seems to be catching on more and more. See Everyone next season, and dont be shy about those rumours in the summer, btw is John Taveres still considering 2 years of education at UNB before turning pro?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Random Thoughts to close out the season for me until the recruiting rumours and such start to heat up

Congrats to UNB, on a great season, overcoming alot of injuries at different points of the season, to put together solid numbers, we really only had one bad game all year and that was game three of the AUS final, and really with allowing the HUskies to only 18 shots on goal in that game, a couple bad breaks really I dont think it was as bad as it looked

At The nationals with Tremblay Out, the team stepped up and played as a team and did what they had to do. Travis Fullarton stepped up and proved he was for real (Where does this leave Yeomans for next season?) John Scott Dixon, was and always is a true team player, he could score 20 goals a year easily, but chooses to play both ways for the team. Kyle Bailey logged a ton of minutes and will no doubt be Captain of UNB next season, MacIntosh obviously had a great tournament. I think maybe I was most impressed by Kevin Henderson, Hes a great talent, but I have always found in his two years here, he has never been a great team player, I got the impression he was more focused on individual goals, not a very good bet to make a pass to a teamate, and would rather go one on one with the defenseman. I have to take it all back now, as he was huge in this tourny, tons of minutes, he battled along the boards, he passed the puck, he skated well (perhaps his greatest improvement this year, is his skating and speed) and he was a monster on the penalty kill. There is no doubt there was scouts, eyeing this guy.

as Far as next year goes the future looks bright, Friesen is a big loss no doubt, Cuddihy not as much, with a better player in Daine Todd waiting for the new season. Not sure how many 4th years will be back, but with Gardner Recruiting, the nationals at UNB looming, and the word of mouth of the program they have developped.....cant wait
I also was impressed with the way the whole team stepped up at Nationals to counter the absence of Hunter Tremblay. I'm very intrigued with the way the goaltender situation will play out next year at UNB. With the way the guys from out west we're gushing over Yeomans at Nationals last year over here, saying he would be a great starter if not for Ouzas and that he could be Rookie Of The Year if he were starter and such. With the way Fullerton played down the stretch and into Nationals, it'll be very interesting. I also thought JS Dixon had a GREAT tournament, but I was getting a little fed up with the way the Sportsnet guys we're drooling over him during the Final. You'd think they had a crush on him.

I must say I am also VERY happy for Jimmy Cuddihy, after not even making the playoffs in any of of 4 seasons with Dalhousie, this is a great way to close out his AUS career. As for recruiting goes, I doubt Gardiner will have much trouble bringing guys in, pretty easy when you're the reigning National Champs plus can guarantee at least 2 participations in the next 3 years to rookies coming in.

Quote:
When Fredericton hosted the tournament they sold out of the passes all together, when Moncton hosted they sold as many passes as possible (Much bigger rink) and offered invividual tickets for what ever was left, I think at $ 30 or $ 35 a piece. This is something Lakehead should have done, you can advertise going into the tournament that only passes were available, but come game time, you mays well sell more, why not? Also Fredericton had anyone not interested in the afternoon pool games, or for that matter any other games, that bought passes to urge them to donate the tickets which in turn they gave out to school kids and such, it was a good idea and made for a great environment.
I still can't see the reasoning behind the way Lakehead structured their ticket sales. Unless they were very confident of selling out the packages like UNB did, but they obviously didn't nor did they ask for the tickets also like UNB did, which I might add is a wonderful idea. I know you can count on me and quite a few more from the U de M organisation to buy our ticket packages for the 2 nationals in UNB, even though we hope we won't have to use them.
Quote:
Bob Mongrain- Maybe its just me, but I think Moncton will do just fine without him, Mongrain took over an extremely talented already loaded team in time for the CIS Nationals, since than, I don't feel he has recruited as strongly out of the QMJHL, like Previous coaches
I have to agree with this.

Quote:
Pete Beliveau - I guess I don't know the full story, but I can not for the life of me figure out why Lakehead got rid of this guy, He built the Lakehead program from Scratch, and is a huge part of what is going on their today, I just don't understand what happen there.
As far as I can remember the story was that there was conflict with one or more of the players on the team which ended up in Pete's firinig. Which ranks right up there in stupid reasons with his firing in Moncton, when U de M refused to make his coaching position a full time job, then turning around and giving it to Charlie two months later.

Quote:
OUA - I was totally impressed by Western and Lakehead, I knew Lakehead had a strong program going into the season, but I was impressed on how the Mustangs handled SMU and than kept it close againts UNB, there is no question, about the Division they play in, its very strong, and it obviously makes a difference, compared to teams like UQTR etc, playing on a weaker side. Its too bad they could not get like a 12 team OUA going and a 6 team Quebec conference, cause they is definately other quebec schools, im surprised are not playing hockey
The one thing I'd like to see from the OUA would be a little more variety. It seems that year in and year out it's always the same 4-6 teams making it to the top and ending up in Nationals. It's true we've been dismissing the OUA the last few years, but it seems, especially given the Western performance this year, that it's about time we start taking them more seriously.

Quote:
The AUS - I feel next season is going to be one hell of a season, UNB and SMU will be big dogs again, Moncton and Acadia have very young talented teams that will only get Better. Dylan Taylor has done a great job rebuilding UPEI, Pete Beliveau in Dalhousie, with time now for this to be his team, you know they are going to improve, he can recruit. St Thomas is sure to be better than they were this year, and you can never count out Brad Pettles Xmen. Should be an interesting year.
That's the one thing I love (and hate) about the AUS. On any given night, any team can beat any other team.

Quote:
Canada West - You know the Bears and Huskies will be around again, but theyre seemed to be huge improvements from the other teams, Calgary underachieved big time this year but they have talent, the Bisons always seem to be competitive, Regina, UBC and Lethbridge have made big Strides this season. One thing about the West this year, is they was not one really bad team, and the worst team was pretty good
I dream of the year when neither U of S or U of A make it to Nationals.

Quote:
This Board - I dont post alot, but I read this board each and every day, its awsome, Its the best place to go for us CIS Fans. And it seems to be catching on more and more. See Everyone next season, and dont be shy about those rumours in the summer, btw is John Taveres still considering 2 years of education at UNB before turning pro?
Agreed, it's nice that support for CIS seems to be increasing around here. It would be nice to eventually have our own forums for CIS sports (mostly hockey though) but that may be a bit further on down the road. And I heard from good sources that Tavares was considering french immersion, and I'm fairly certain it was him I seen on Campus walking around with Bob the other day.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
... And I heard from good sources that Tavares was considering french immersion, and I'm fairly certain it was him I seen on Campus walking around with Bob the other day.

Now Timbit, next we will see a "reliable" source quoted in the Times and Transcript that Taveres just rented an apartment in Dieppe and signing up for summer classes at UdeM.

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
score0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Of course if he transfers to another school he will have to sit out next year ... unless he has graduated and would be taking a graduate level program (Education, Law) or a Master's.
Yeah he's graduating. I think he'll do an MBA...but I guess he doesn't want to do it here.

score0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
score0123

Quote:
I still can't see the reasoning behind the way Lakehead structured their ticket sales. Unless they were very confident of selling out the packages like UNB did, but they obviously didn't nor did they ask for the tickets also like UNB did, which I might add is a wonderful idea. I know you can count on me and quite a few more from the U de M organisation to buy our ticket packages for the 2 nationals in UNB, even though we hope we won't have to use them.

I have to agree with this.
I still think that they did it because they feared that if they went back on their stance of not selling individual tickets, then next season no one would buy the passes, and I do think that would be an issue. While people in the city love Lakehead hockey, I believe that a good portion of them would not care to attend the games between the other teams. That being said, I wish they had filled the place up. It has been discussed in the news that they will be reviewing that policy for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just stuck with the tournament passes only stance until game day next year, and then go ahead and sell individuals. Plus, as I said in an earlier post, I think that they will package the 2 games as a day pass, rather than just selling the LU tickets individually. I think that's the smart move on their part as well if they do that.

Quote:
As far as I can remember the story was that there was conflict with one or more of the players on the team which ended up in Pete's firinig. Which ranks right up there in stupid reasons with his firing in Moncton, when U de M refused to make his coaching position a full time job, then turning around and giving it to Charlie two months later.
While Lakehead enjoyed plenty of success under Beliveau, I do believe that he needed to go. Having been to 95% of the games since we got the team, I can tell you that they definitely were on the decline in his last bit as head coach here. The team was a mess in their own end and it was as though he had no defensive system in place at all. Not only that, but our breakout consisted of sending someone deep to the opposition's blue line, and then trying to fire a pass from in our own end to that player, which obviously failed 9 out of 10 times, with it either getting broken up or whistled for icing. Hence they tried to bring in a defensive minded coach in McKee, and I think it was the right move for the two to part ways.

score0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by score0123 View Post
While Lakehead enjoyed plenty of success under Beliveau, I do believe that he needed to go. Having been to 95% of the games since we got the team, I can tell you that they definitely were on the decline in his last bit as head coach here. The team was a mess in their own end and it was as though he had no defensive system in place at all. Not only that, but our breakout consisted of sending someone deep to the opposition's blue line, and then trying to fire a pass from in our own end to that player, which obviously failed 9 out of 10 times, with it either getting broken up or whistled for icing. Hence they tried to bring in a defensive minded coach in McKee, and I think it was the right move for the two to part ways.
I have to agree, things were getting rather predictable at the end …

Lakehead’s game plan for the 2006-2007 season: Look for Jeff Richards at the blueline, get the puck to him

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
nosl

Comparaison

It appears this section on HFBoards is more & more becoming the CIS's equivalent to the NOOF.

I'm not familiar with the attendance numbers outside of Ontario/Québec, but the strong fan support in markets like Fredericton, Thunder Bay & others will be a contributing factor to the rising popularity of this level of hockey.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
austrooper

[QUOTE=score0123;18816654]I still think that they did it because they feared that if they went back on their stance of not selling individual tickets, then next season no one would buy the passes, and I do think that would be an issue. While people in the city love Lakehead hockey, I believe that a good portion of them would not care to attend the games between the other teams. That being said, I wish they had filled the place up. It has been discussed in the news that they will be reviewing that policy for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just stuck with the tournament passes only stance until game day next year, and then go ahead and sell individuals. Plus, as I said in an earlier post, I think that they will package the 2 games as a day pass, rather than just selling the LU tickets individually. I think that's the smart move on their part as well if they do that.

My understanding is that the organizers felt it was the only way they could make money on the tournament. There's a general feeling that Thunder Bay people are fans of Lakehead but not necessarily of CIS hockey in general. Hence, the fear of selling plenty of tickets for the Lakehead games and zippo for everything else. There's a degree of economic sense of having X amount of dollars up front that selling passes brings, and it allows for situations such as bad weather, etc. not impacting the gate. People seemed surprised when the idea of selling day passes on the day of at a premium mind you was being bandied about. Hard to believe that wasn't a point of discussion among the organizers. I know there's a fear of ticking off the pass holders, but the "premium'' aspects allows for a saving if you by a pass, thus making it an easier sell. Having less than 2,500 fans in the rink for the national final was embarrassing. And it reasonated with many of the viewers who watched on national TV. Sad but true.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
AUS Fan

Tickets vs Passes

I agree with austrooper. Many people I spoke to in T-Bay, indicated that they were 'Wolves fans and not really interested in watching other games. As someone may have stated earlier in this thread, the travel to T-Bay made it 'difficult' for CIS fans to get there. Hopefully, next year the organizers will come up with a better system to get more bums in the seats, especially for the tv games.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

Lakehead learns from mistakes ...

Looks like Lakehead learned from their attendance woes: http://www.universitysport.ca/e/m_ic...l.cfm?id=14440

They lowered the price on the 7-game tournament passes for the 2010 University Cup, and will be selling day passes and championship game tickets for remaining seats. They've also added better kid's pricing.

I'm glad to see it. The atmosphere really suffered in the non-Lakehead games last year due to all of those empty seats ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
AUS Fan

Interesting...

I'd be curious to see who will pay 35 bucks for the Gold Medal game if Lakehead is not playing.

Old
08-13-2009, 02:03 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Interesting...

I'd be curious to see who will pay 35 bucks for the Gold Medal game if Lakehead is not playing.
Scary thought. I suppose that's why they want people buying passes. Seven games for 100 bucks is actually pretty reasonable. Not even the most ardent fan would be willing to spend $35 for a single game. It's good hockey, but it's not that good.

Old
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Scary thought. I suppose that's why they want people buying passes. Seven games for 100 bucks is actually pretty reasonable. Not even the most ardent fan would be willing to spend $35 for a single game. It's good hockey, but it's not that good.
My guess is most of the final tix would be bought before the event.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

SMU, Original #1 Seed

I never heard this story - SMU was the tournament committee's first selection as #1 by virtue of defeating UNB! Alberta appealled this descision, which was upheld.

The specifics are found here http://www.cisport.ca/e/discipline/index.cfm

Titled: 2009 CIS Men's Hockey Championships Draw (second from the top).

My guess on the impact of the pools

A - 2-ALB, 3-UWO, 4-UNB
B - 1-SMU, 5-McGill, 6-LKD

I had to swap McGill and UNB to keep UNB away from SMU

UNB still plays ALB on day 1, but it's the first game of the tournament in the afternoon, rather then night. And, UNB can't play UWO for gold.

Last edited by Drummer: 09-03-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:16 AM
FreddtFoyle

You've got this in three threads. It was known at the time and discussed by some of us, but it was all "off the record" for some reason. Because of that, I for one didn't talk about it on the radio.

Old
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
austrooper

Quote:
You've got this in three threads. It was known at the time and discussed by some of us, but it was all "off the record" for some reason. Because of that, I for one didn't talk about it on the radio.
Foyle is right. This was discussed at the tournament but it's part and parcel of the way they do things at the CIS level. Seedings are manipulated for any number of reasons. U of A had every legitimate reason to question SMU as the top seed, particularly since it had been no. 1 most of the season in the rankings. Rankings are just a guide and that's evident with the way seedings are processed leading into national tournaments. Unless they find a better system to determine national champions, the current system is about the best we can expect.

Old
09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
FreddtFoyle

And speaking of the rules, Alberta was correct because the tournament commitee tried to sidestep the regulations: it didn't matter that SMU beat #1 UNB because the regulations state that the seeding of the three conference champions at the University Cup is based on the last week's rankings, just before the playoffs finish. While UNB was ranked #1 they weren't the AUS champion. SMU was ranked fourth and Alberta was ranked second and Western was ranked sixth so Alberta got the #1 seed, SMU got the #2 seed and Western got the #3 seed.

The tournament committee (Lakehead) might have thought they made a logical choice in giving SMU the #1 seed (and getting Alberta out of the Lakehead pool), but rules are rules.

Old
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
AUS Fan

See my reply in UNB thread. And tell Drummer not to post in every thread....

Old
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
... based on the last week's rankings, just before the playoffs finish....
That's the problem - the rankings finished on the last week of the regular season (Feb. 17th) and did not continue into the playoffs - the tournament committee then took liberties on what that means (an used it as an excuse to raise SMU to #1 and avoid the 'Pool of Death'). I don't think the rankings would have changed as much as the committee would have hoped even if they continued through to the AUS Finals. I think we all agree that ALB would have returned to #1 resulting in seeds of ALB-1, SMU-2 and UWO-3. Which is what we got. If LKH wants a better pool, they should win their ticket.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Remember this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
If the CIS held four regionals followed by a "final 4" it might help out gain publicity and be somewhat more TV-friendly. Here's the plan:....
The CIS had announced a system for regionals in basketball, but that looks like it is not happening.

So what if there were regionals in hockey? Let's suppose that conference playoffs went just like the OHT35 rankings, and remember that Sask qualifies as host meaning a 5th place for CW, and we would get this:

HOST TOURNAMENT:
Saskatchewan
Calgary
Acadia
McGill

@ Saskatoon (CT)
Saskatchewan v McGill - Saturday 8-AT 7-ET 6-CT 5-MT
Calgary v Acadia - Saturday 2-AT 1-ET 12-CT 11am-MT
final - Sunday 7-AT 6-ET 5-CT 4-MT

WEST:
Alberta
Saint Mary's
Lakehead
Guelph

@ Edmonton (MT)
Alberta v Guelph - Friday 11-AT 10-ET 9-CT 8-MT
Saint Mary's v Lakehead - Saturday 10-AT 9-ET 8-CT 7-MT
final - Sunday 10-AT 9-ET 8-CT 7-MT

EAST:
New Brunswick
UQTR
UBC
Windsor

@ Fredericton (AT)
New Brunswick v Windsor - Friday 7-AT 6-ET 5-CT 4-MT
UQTR v UBC - Saturday 4-AT 3-ET 2-CT 1-MT
final - Sunday 1-AT 12-ET 11am-CT 10am-MT

CENTRAL:
Western Ontario
Manitoba
Carleton
St. F-X

@ London (ET)
Western Ontario v St. F-X - Saturday 6-AT 5-ET 4-CT 3-MT
Manitoba v Carleton - Friday 9-AT 8-ET 7-CT 6-MT
final - Sunday 4-AT 3-ET 2-CT 1-MT

And for convenience, here's your SportsNet (or TSN) TV schedule!

New Brunswick v Windsor - Friday 7-AT 6-ET 5-CT 4-MT
Manitoba v Carleton - Friday 9-AT 8-ET 7-CT 6-MT
Alberta v Guelph - Friday 11-AT 10-ET 9-CT 8-MT
Calgary v Acadia - Saturday 2-AT 1-ET 12-CT 11am-MT
UQTR v UBC - Saturday 4-AT 3-ET 2-CT 1-MT
Western Ontario v St. F-X - Saturday 6-AT 5-ET 4-CT 3-MT
Saskatchewan v McGill - Saturday 8-AT 7-ET 6-CT 5-MT
Saint Mary's v Lakehead - Saturday 10-AT 9-ET 8-CT 7-MT
Fredericton final - Sunday 1-AT 12-ET 11am-CT 10am-MT
London final - Sunday 4-AT 3-ET 2-CT 1-MT
Saskatoon final - Sunday 7-AT 6-ET 5-CT 4-MT
Edmonton final - Sunday 10-AT 9-ET 8-CT 7-MT

And of course the four winners would play in the final four the following weekend.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
dale 1919

holley this would be great and makes toooo much sense!
here is why it will never happen!
you need to guarantee a quebec school is in the final four and at least one ontario school otherwise they will vote it down.

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale 1919 View Post
holley this would be great and makes toooo much sense!
here is why it will never happen!
you need to guarantee a quebec school is in the final four and at least one ontario school otherwise they will vote it down.
I am not sure if that would be the reason. They have enough berths to make qualification possible. These are the OHT35 rankings for each regional qualifier:

HOST TOURNAMENT:
#6 Saskatchewan
#14 Calgary
#10 Acadia
#13 McGill

WEST:
#1 Alberta
#4 Saint Mary's
#8 Lakehead
#12 Guelph

EAST:
#2 New Brunswick
#5 UQTR
#18 UBC
#11 Windsor

CENTRAL:
#3 Western Ontario
#7 Manitoba
#9 Carleton
#15 St. F-X

Now, I doubt that the conference playoffs would all go according to rankings. But these pools would give each conference a good shot at the final four.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I am not sure if that would be the reason. They have enough berths to make qualification possible. These are the OHT35 rankings for each regional qualifier:

HOST TOURNAMENT:
#6 Saskatchewan
#14 Calgary
#10 Acadia
#13 McGill

WEST:
#1 Alberta
#4 Saint Mary's
#8 Lakehead
#12 Guelph

EAST:
#2 New Brunswick
#5 UQTR
#18 UBC
#11 Windsor

CENTRAL:
#3 Western Ontario
#7 Manitoba
#9 Carleton
#15 St. F-X

Now, I doubt that the conference playoffs would all go according to rankings. But these pools would give each conference a good shot at the final four.
Looks good...but I would flip Alberta and Saskatchewan. The way you have it right now it seems Alberta is in the toughest pool and Sask. is in the easiest. Alberta, by being #1, should be in the easier pool IMO. Sask., by being #6, shouldn't be the top ranked team in their pool.

Ideally, I would like to see that top 4 seeds be the 4 conference champions (OUA east, OUA West, AUS, CW) and have them all in different pools.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Obviously the big stumbling block here is the amount of travel for teams, when they might play one game and be done. What if the 4 finalists from the CW/OUA West playoffs and the 4 finalists from the AUS/OUA East each did their own round robin tournaments (hosted by the top team in each group, so Alberta and UNB this year)...with the top two coming out of each group to play in a Final Four at a pre-determined location. I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

The idea of having regionals makes for a lot of hockey though around exam time though....you have to have your own conference playoffs, the regionals, and then the UCup.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Well this might as well double as an all-encompassing playoff thread...

Moncton beat Acadia 7-5, despite being out-shot something like 59-24

UPEI beat St. FX 4-3

Both teams will have the chance to wrap up their series on home ice on Friday night.