HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Volatile Tortorella Molding Rangers In Image

Old
04-01-2009, 05:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Volatile Tortorella Molding Rangers In Image

The views of LB on John Tortorella

Quote:
Well, the head coach's oft-repeated pronouncements that he "isn't an X's and O's guy," and that the game "isn't about X's and O's," seem to be hogwash. Indeed, Tortorella appears to be every bit as much about using video to teach as was his predecessor, Tom Renney, not that that's a bad thing.

Tortorella may encourage more instinctive play from his athletes than many of the league's more defense-oriented coaches, and he might be a greater believer in the upside of risk/reward hockey than the individual he replaced, but Tortorella, too, has a system he teaches. It's not freestyle hockey by any means.

Tortorella simplified his system after Saturday's 4-3 defeat in Pittsburgh featured an avalanche of breakdowns. The correction, primarily focused on neutral zone reads by forwards when the Rangers are on the attack, resulted in an absence of odd-man rushes against Henrik Lundqvist in Monday's 3-0 Garden victory over the Devils
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04012009...n_i_162350.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Ola

haha, Brooks sounds like a mars-man who have just watched hockey for the first time.

Like Tortorella wants his forwards to cover for the D's when they join the attack -- its these kind of things 12 y/o's work on (regulary in europe atleast, maybe its more sparse in teh NA, but every 12 y/o have definitly heard it). The problem we have is not that any player wouldn't know exactly what to do if he watched the game on TV -- our problem is to execute it at NHL speed.

That takes time. You need atleast a year and problably more before stuff like that is drilled in good enough. Especially since we are starting from scratch.

Its nice to hear from Drury though that they are building on that, there is allot you can do.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:49 AM
94now

I said before that we win when Torts wears Renney's hat. How our win over Devils is different from that of last year? Pretty much the same approach. No wonder LB is in agreement.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Larry's a lucky guy. Between Torts and Avery, he'll never run out of material to write about.

04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I said before that we win when Torts wears Renney's hat. How our win over Devils is different from that of last year? Pretty much the same approach. No wonder LB is in agreement.
What? The difference is we have sucked hard against the Devils this season under Renney. Who cares about what happened last year. A win, never mind a shutout, with as much pressure as this team was under was huge. Please stop minimizing some of the great things he has done for this team despite having almost no time to work with.

You just like making controversial statements, don't you

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What? The difference is we have sucked hard against the Devils this season under Renney. Who cares about what happened last year. A win, never mind a shutout, with as much pressure as this team was under was huge. Please stop minimizing some of the great things he has done for this team despite having almost no time to work with.

You just like making controversial statements, don't you
Didn't the Rangers win the first two games against Jersey this season?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:24 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ugh... Don't let facts get in the way.

I love Torts too but some of these people are just blinded by him.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
And what, he doesn't deserve to??

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Substitute the name "Torts" for Renney and you'll find those people as well.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Yeah, then got outscored 13-7 in the next three games, all of which we lost.

By the way, go look up this teams record against playoff EC teams under Renney in the last 2 months he was here and then tell me again that you don't think Torts has done a good job.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Won the first two, got blown up 8-5, 4-2, and a 3-0 ****show. We beat them once during the beginning of the year 5 game streak when for some reason Voros was gunning for 50 goals, and Dubi was leading the league in points. The second time, Weekes and Clemmenson crapped the bed and gave up softies. After that, we got beat despite their having their goalie hurt. And yes, we sucked against them, as per ThirdEye.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oh god, still hearing the Renney supporters...

It like an annoying ringing in my ears.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Oh god, still hearing the Renney supporters...

It like an annoying ringing in my ears.
Its not that, what you're hearing are mindless idiots that, for whatever reason, need to bring up Renney at the first sign Tortarella is being criticized.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Interesting section about Torts' level of "accountability."

Sometimes it comes and goes without rhyme or reason, and it leads to some truly bad decisions. I hope he can get a hold on that, cause I like nearly everything else about him.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Won the first two, got blown up 8-5, 4-2, and a 3-0 ****show. We beat them once during the beginning of the year 5 game streak when for some reason Voros was gunning for 50 goals, and Dubi was leading the league in points. The second time, Weekes and Clemmenson crapped the bed and gave up softies. After that, we got beat despite their having their goalie hurt. And yes, we sucked against them, as per ThirdEye.
No seriously that did work for a while. Tom Renney goes to video and video games. He found out that Dubinsky and Voros decided to mess around on Playstation 2 or 3 (I'm not sure, Renney would provide that information on the exact system and which game)? Renney really was astounded by the results. Dubinsky and Voros were scoring goal after goal on Playstation. Once they added Zherdev to the mix, that line couldn't be stopped. This was too much for Tom Renney to ignore so without thinking twice, he took the advice of Dubinsky and even watched them play a few games together.

Before you know it. The "Playstation line" was developed and it seemed to work. But Voros plateaued at 8 goals and was stuck. But we did have some initial success if not for Renney taking the advise of the young Brandon Dubinsky. It's too bad it wasn't meant to last. They might try X Box in the off season and Tortorella will be kept posted on how that line is working out during the summer. If it works and "Torts" is convinced. We could have an X Box line to look forward to next year. Time will tell. It just doesn't happen over night.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its not that, what you're hearing are mindless idiots that, for whatever reason, need to bring up Renney at the first sign Tortarella is being criticized.
Have you read the article? It is Larry who brings Renney issue all over it. I just happen to agree with every point Larry made. And why is that wrong?
Bottom line: The jury is still out on Torts. To be exact, not so much on him, but rather the question is Do We Need Run-n-Gun? Penguins showed us that we do not.
We are the most successful when we play Renney's hockey under Torts personality.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Have you read the article? It is Larry who brings Renney issue all over it. I just happen to agree with every point Larry made. And why is that wrong?
Bottom line: The jury is still out on Torts. To be exact, not so much on him, but rather the question is Do We Need Run-n-Gun? Penguins showed us that we do not.
We are the most successful when we play Renney's hockey under Torts personality.
IDK, but I don't think he was referring to you as a mindless idiot. I think he was actually supporting you if anything. So don't worry. You're not a mindless idiot. I'm just trying to help you out here.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im not talking about the article, Im talking about a poster above who basically said "oh God, here come the Renney supporters again."

What I've seen over the last month is almost the exact opposite:

"Ya know, it was a very bad decision from Torts not using Zherdev in the shootout"

"Yea, well Renney SUCKED!"

Old
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
IDK, but I don't think he was referring to you as a mindless idiot. I think he was actually supporting you if anything. So don't worry. You're not a mindless idiot. I'm just trying to help you out here.
Thanks. I'm relieved now

Old
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Thanks. I'm relieved now
Anytime I can be of assistance.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

How anyone can say that Renney >= Torts when Renney's Rangers couldn't beat a team ranked higher than 9 (not in shootout) in the Eastern Conference for over 3 months before he was fired. If you go back and look at the schedule, don't be a wise ass and say Carolina & Pittsburgh are top 8 now, because back then they were not.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I agree with this.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
How anyone can say that Renney >= Torts when Renney's Rangers couldn't beat a team ranked higher than 9 (not in shootout) in the Eastern Conference for over 3 months before he was fired. If you go back and look at the schedule, don't be a wise ass and say Carolina & Pittsburgh are top 8 now, because back then they were not.
We must separate Renney messenger from Renney's message. Renney may fail as a messenger. That doesn't mean his message must be discarded as well. Torts may simply be a better messenger or just new, who knows.
In any case the so-called Torts system is on hold by now. It's clear that outstanding goalie is required for it. Lundqvist, I believe, could be the one. But he wasn't most of this season. Up until he wakes up the Renney hockey is in order.

Old
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
gravytrain6t

I'm a little confused by the last sentence. You mean Lundqvist wasn't playing well for Renney? There were many shoot outs that Lundqvist had to out dual the other goal tender while Renney was here. It's true, you do need a good goal tender under "Torts" system. But I think every team who is aiming for a Stanley Cup needs real good goal tending (especially come playoff time).
And the year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup, that was actually his main problem. Tortorella was getting frustrated with Grahame and Khabibulin because he wasn't satisfied with either goal tender's play. I think he actually blew a gasket after one game because he was sick of the two of them. But Khabibulin was the guy to finally take hold of the position and they won the Cup with him.

Old
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'm a little confused by the last sentence. You mean Lundqvist wasn't playing well for Renney? There were many shoot outs that Lundqvist had to out dual the other goal tender while Renney was here.
My criticism of Henrick of often misunderstood here. In fact, I am not critical in the sense I do not hold him responsible for his performance. I think at this level anyone, esp. goaltender have little or no control over it. Lundqvist played very well and sometimes outright excellent for Renney. He let him down this season, though (again I don't blame the guy). Shootouts wins were helpful, but they were mostly before X-mas.