HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Kaleta to return against Thrashers

Old
03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Kaleta to return against Thrashers

KALETA BACK IN ACTION; WILL RETURN AGAINST THRASHERS
Quote:
Pat Kaleta was back at practice Tuesday afternoon.

Patrick Lalime was not.

Head Coach Lindy Ruff said the netminder had a “hip situation” that kept him off the ice and will be reevaluated tomorrow.

Kaleta, however, is expected to be in the lineup Wednesday night in Atlanta after being free of symptoms for the last two days.

Montreal doctors first reported that the winger suffered a concussion Saturday night following a controversial hit from behind by Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre. Ruff said Tuesday he was unsure what the real diagnosis was.

“It’s in that gray area,” Ruff said, addressing whether or not the injury was a concussion. “As long as he’s had a good day he’s cleared to play.”
http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=416076

Awesome news. I'm glad Patty isn't going to miss anytime. Also, EJ Hradek stated in an espn.com chat that he thinks Maxim Lapierre should've been suspended for the hit on Kaleta, and that he believes the league has a double-standard, when it comes to hits from behind and injuries/suspensions.

Quote:
Adam (Lake George, NY): EJ, do you think that if Sidney Crosby was blatantly hit from behind by Maxim Lapierre, that Maxim would be suspended? If so, why was he not suspended for doing the very same thing to Patrick Kaleta the other night?

EJ Hradek: (3:11 PM ET ) Yes, he would be. I guess you're asking me, is there a double-standard when it comes to who is involved in these types of plays? I think the answer is yes, there probably is to a certain degree. Patrick Kaleta is also a guy whose play has bordered on dirty in his short time in the league, and there may be some who feel that this is a case of a guy getting almost what he deserves. That said, we don't want to see guys getting run from behind in this league. It is something the powers-that-be need to take a long look at for a lot of reasons.
That is total f**king bulls***. This league is an absolute joke. And while it angers me that Hradek chose to go the "Kaleta makes borderline dirty hits" route, I agree with what he said about the double-standard.

Last edited by EndlessNameless9319: 03-31-2009 at 02:57 PM.
EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
So... the Montreal doctors possibly misdiagnosed Patty? Sad.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

No, he hasn't had any symptoms the past two days, from what I've read.

Old
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post

That is total f**king bulls***. This league is an absolute joke. And while it angers me that Hradek chose to go the "Kaleta makes borderline dirty hits" route, I agree with what he said about the double-standard.
yup. it's a double standard. if kaleta is making borderline dirty hits (which i'll leave to the main boards to debate ), then getting what he deserves should be in the form of penalties, not dangerous blows from behind.

but, i'm glad he is back, and i really hope he is in shape to be back. i'd rather see him out a game or two then come back too early and get connolly-ed.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
No, he hasn't had any symptoms the past two days, from what I've read.
Then you didn't read what you posted:
Quote:
Montreal doctors first reported that the winger suffered a concussion Saturday night following a controversial hit from behind by Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre. Ruff said Tuesday he was unsure what the real diagnosis was.

Old
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Apparently it couldn't be a concussion because he'd have to be symptom free for 7 days before he could be cleared for anything. At least that's the way it usually is.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
yup. it's a double standard. if kaleta is making borderline dirty hits (which i'll leave to the main boards to debate ), then getting what he deserves should be in the form of penalties, not dangerous blows from behind.

but, i'm glad he is back, and i really hope he is in shape to be back. i'd rather see him out a game or two then come back too early and get connolly-ed.
Abso-****in-lutely a double standard. Always has been and will be.

PK is a pest/dirty player, whatever label you want to pin on him, and I wish there were a few more of Buffalo's players who would walk that fine line as well. Hecht with a mean-streak? That would be sweet!

Glad he's back. He's been our best pest since Matt, and as such PK soaks up the hate from the other team. If Yappy is going to run a Sabre from behind, I'd rather it be Kaleta than Connolly.

When an opponent is more focused on getting even with a single player, they rarely win that game.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
KALETA BACK IN ACTION; WILL RETURN AGAINST THRASHERS
Glad to see him back. Honestly, as slim as our chances of making the playoffs are, I think they drop to zero if Patty's out for any significant time. What that says about the makeup of this team, I'll leave as an exercise for the reader.

Quote:
Patrick Lalime was not... Ruff said the netminder had a “hip situation”
Lindy Ruff, on the record: "Lalime has a hip situation."

Lindy Ruff, off the record: "I'm not real hip on having 3 goalies."

Quote:
That is total f**king bulls***. This league is an absolute joke.
Agree completely. The officiating is bad and inconsistent enough on the ice. The fact that the "war room" is even worse is mind boggling.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Quote:
Not from that article. Ruff said somewhere that he's been symptom free.

Old
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
This has bad news written all over it. I hope this doesn't ruin Patty's career.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
This has bad news written all over it. I hope this doesn't ruin Patty's career.
Lalime's?

Old
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
HockeyTerror

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Montreal Drs "misdiagnosed" Kaleta to keep his special brand of hockey out the rest of the game?

I mean it was to their benefit, no?

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Weird Fish

Quote:
Lalime's?
No, Kaleta's. I don't like the sound of this at all, very murky.

Either:

1. Montreal's staff misdiagnosed him on accident, and Kaleta's fine.

2. As HT mentioned above me, Montreal's staff violated their ethical responsibilites, and intentionally misdiagnosed Kaleta to keep him out during the Sabres playoff hunt.

3. Montreal's staff diagnosed him correctly, and our staff (with their history of misdiagnosing concussions) screwed up.

4. Kaleta went to Ruff begging to play, and our staff violated their ethical responsibilities and are letting him play, rather than having him rest a bit, because of the playoff hunt.

Last edited by Weird Fish: 03-31-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTerror View Post
Is it out of the realm of possibility that Montreal Drs "misdiagnosed" Kaleta to keep his special brand of hockey out the rest of the game?

I mean it was to their benefit, no?
Could be.

Old
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
No, Kaleta's. I don't like the sound of this at all; very murky.

Either:

2. As HT mentioned above me, Montreal's staff violated their ethical responsibilites, and intentionally misdiagnosed Kaleta to keep him out during the Sabres playoff hunt.

3. Montreal's staff diagnosed him correctly, and our staff (with their history of misdiagnosing concussions) screwed up.

4. Kaleta went to Ruff begging to play, and our staff violated their ethical responsibilities and are letting him play, rather than having him rest a bit, because of the playoff hunt.
I'm going to go with No. 2 because it means Patty is OK, and I have another reason not to like French Canadians.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Freezerburn

Or maybe (as a much more reasonable option) he was held out of the game as a precaution because he did have some symptoms of a concussion (headaches etc) on advice from the doctors. Then the next day after going through tests they determined he was fine. People shouldn't go looking for the craziest theory here. You have to think, Kaleta must have exhibited some symptoms or complained about something or he wouldn't have been looked at by the doctors at all. Head injuries are dangerous, I'm glad he was held out. I'm much happier that he is fine and will be able to play.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Or maybe (as a much more reasonable option) he was held out of the game as a precaution because he did have some symptoms of a concussion (headaches etc) on advice from the doctors. Then the next day after going through tests they determined he was fine. People shouldn't go looking for the craziest theory here. You have to think, Kaleta must have exhibited some symptoms or complained about something or he wouldn't have been looked at by the doctors at all. Head injuries are dangerous, I'm glad he was held out. I'm much happier that he is fine and will be able to play.
I believe it wasn't until after the game that they reported concussion, which leads us to believe some sort of tests were run.

Old
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Weird Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
This is totally possible, but the phrasing of the article makes me think otherwise.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Ruff himself speculated that the MTL doctors may have wanted to keep Kaleta out of the game.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Ddubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Ruff himself speculated that the MTL doctors may have wanted to keep Kaleta out of the game.
I think that's a little too far fetched. Doctors always error on the side of caution.

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

I think it was ridiculous that Lapierre wasn't suspended, and I hope Kaleta gets well soon.... but I hope he isn't back to play the Thrashers

orangethrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
No, Kaleta's. I don't like the sound of this at all, very murky.

Either:

Its actually

5. Kaleta has had a problem with a disc in his neck since juniors and its symptoms are similar to a concussions. Its why he was out earlier in the year. The Habs doctors obviously do not know his medical history. So they would make the understandable conclusion that what Kaleta was suffering from was a concussion.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:07 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its actually

5. Kaleta has had a problem with a disc in his neck since juniors and its symptoms are similar to a concussions. Its why he was out earlier in the year. The Habs doctors obviously do not know his medical history. So they would make the understandable conclusion that what Kaleta was suffering from was a concussion.
And no one, including Kaleta himself, thought to say to them "FYI, Kaleta has a problem with a disc in his neck"?

Old
04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
joshjull

Quote:
And no one, including Kaleta himself, thought to say to them "FYI, Kaleta has a problem with a disc in his neck"?

Whats your point?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Whats your point?
It's fishy. I already made that point.