HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaleta back Wed? Sekera Out Teppo In

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
  #51
Cap'n
Registered User
 
Cap'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Briere = 4 places higher in the standings, minimum.
Last year, yes absolutely. But not this year.

22 gp 8 g 8 a 16 pts -1

Yet we still seem to see references time and time again about the loss of the captains. (TBN especially).

Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
  #52
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I have never said anything that is outrageous or farfetched about Sekera. For some reason, you dislike when I point out that he looks maturer than his status indicates.

And if what we've been witnessing for the past 10 games is Sekera at his worst? My goodness will he be special, because it has not been that bad of a stretch. His poor play is being blown way out of proportion, it simply happens to be that Ruff knows he can get a lot more out of Sekera than he's currently getting. Ruff is well aware of what Sekera is capable of, even at a young age.
thats you overating him.... players who are mature beyond there years, dont crack and remove themselves from the LU in the final weeks of the season.... you proved my point.

the 2nd bolded is just plain silly... If anything, Ruff overestimated what Sekera was capable of. He used him in a role he wasn't ready for, and broke him down over the year.

Sekera should never have been handed the 1st pairing role. Last year on a team with arguably the exact same talent, the top pairing of Lydallinder was a +5 and a +1 respectively.... Sekera is -16 this year, far worse than anyone else on the backend.

Saying his slump is 10 games can only be described as complete homer fan boy bias


Last edited by Jame: 03-31-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:32 AM
  #53
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 28,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
thats you overating him.... players who are mature beyond there years, dont crack and remove themselves from the LU in the final weeks of the season.... you proved my point.

the 2nd bolded is just plain silly... If anything, Ruff overestimated what Sekera was capable of. He used him in a role he wasn't ready for, and broke him down over the year.

Sekera should never have been handed the 1st pairing role. Last year on a team with arguably the exact same talent, the top pairing of Lydallinder was a +5 and a +1 respectively.... Sekera is -16 this year, far worse than anyone else on the backend.

Saying his slump is 10 games can only be described as complete homer fan boy bias
"Slump" has been less than 10 games. His play has tailed off a bit, and in an effort to emphatically prove your point, you're going to exaggerate face.

Sekera's play earned him the ice time he received. Ruff saw something in him to warrant giving him the role he received, and he has performed fine. +/- is so convenient for you when it supports your argument, isn't it? 'Cause when it's against you, it's meaningless

Ignore the faith Ruff has in Sekera if you must. Call my comments "silly" if you must. But it's a fact. Ruff knows how much better Sekera can play, and again... if the past few games are an indication of Sekera bottoming out, he's going to be special. His play over this last stretch has not been nearly as bad as any other D-man's poor stretch. In fact, Sekera has had one truly awful game: last game.

You can PLAY mature beyond your years on the ice. I'm not talking to the stability of his mindset when I use that term (but again, twist it how you'd want it to look for your argument ). When he skates, when he plays rushes, when he breaks the puck out himself... he doesn't look like a 23 year old.

(Sekera admitted to losing confidence, he didn't go to Ruff and say "put Teppo in"... stop trying to skew society again)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
  #54
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
Last year, yes absolutely. But not this year.

22 gp 8 g 8 a 16 pts -1

Yet we still seem to see references time and time again about the loss of the captains. (TBN especially).
Fair enough point, but I think we're really getting into a murky "what if" debate here - whether he would have sustained that injury in Buffalo, etc. And he was the engine driving Hecht and Pominville, who are both having bad years. How many of those 8g would be GWG or GTG? How many of those assists would have been setting up Poms or Hecht for the same?

The difference between our current 10th place spot and 6th place is only 8 points. Between us and 8th place is only 6 points. Even with only 22 games and 16 points, I don't think it's stretch to think that even those low numbers would make a difference. Factor in the veteran leadership, and better production from Hecht and Pominville, and we'd probably be sitting in a playoff spot now.

The reason we keep seeing this brought up, in TBN and on the boards, is because the incompetent front office has STILL not replaced what was lost. We had Roy and Connolly before the captains left. Roy may be the best 2nd line center in the league, excluding Pittsburgh's situation, but he's not a replacement for Briere. Connolly hasn't stayed healthy long enough to fully evaluate whether he's a legit #1 or not. So here we are, 2 offseasons and 2 trade deadlines later, about to miss the playoffs for the 2nd year straight, and STILL dealing with the same obvious holes on this roster.

It's mind boggling, and extremely frustrating. I'd love to move on - but when there are huge gaping holes in the roster that they refuse to fill, it's impossible to ignore.

</rant>

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
  #55
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
"Slump" has been less than 10 games. His play has tailed off a bit, and in an effort to emphatically prove your point, you're going to exaggerate face.

Sekera's play earned him the ice time he received. Ruff saw something in him to warrant giving him the role he received, and he has performed fine. +/- is so convenient for you when it supports your argument, isn't it? 'Cause when it's against you, it's meaningless

Ignore the faith Ruff has in Sekera if you must. Call my comments "silly" if you must. But it's a fact. Ruff knows how much better Sekera can play, and again... if the past few games are an indication of Sekera bottoming out, he's going to be special. His play over this last stretch has not been nearly as bad as any other D-man's poor stretch. In fact, Sekera has had one truly awful game: last game.

You can PLAY mature beyond your years on the ice. I'm not talking to the stability of his mindset when I use that term (but again, twist it how you'd want it to look for your argument ). When he skates, when he plays rushes, when he breaks the puck out himself... he doesn't look like a 23 year old.

(Sekera admitted to losing confidence, he didn't go to Ruff and say "put Teppo in"... stop trying to skew society again)
Facts and Opinions are oil and water...

His +/- stands out like a sore thumb, i argue against plus minus when someone uses it to compare Brian Campbell defensively to Toni Lydman... that's a case of misrepresenting +/-..... but when Sekera is -16, and his partner(s)are in the +, that's a relevant statistic.

Sekera never earned the first pairing. He never beat out Lydallinder, Ruff made a decision. He spoke of breaking up Lydallinder the first week of camp. Ruff had an opinion of Sekera coming into camp, he wanted to MAKE him a #1 before he earned it. Sekera was given the role, it was never earned.

I think maturity and mental stability go hand in hand, especially with defensemen. But I understand that you ahve to see it the opposite way...

It doesn't matter, you are defending the guy who folded under pressure during a playoff race. I won this one before it even started.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
  #56
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,290
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Facts and Opinions are oil and water...

His +/- stands out like a sore thumb, i argue against plus minus when someone uses it to compare Brian Campbell defensively to Toni Lydman... that's a case of misrepresenting +/-..... but when Sekera is -16, and his partner(s)are in the +, that's a relevant statistic.

Sekera never earned the first pairing. He never beat out Lydallinder, Ruff made a decision. He spoke of breaking up Lydallinder the first week of camp. Ruff had an opinion of Sekera coming into camp, he wanted to MAKE him a #1 before he earned it. Sekera was given the role, it was never earned.
Speak of opinion... Sekera's play down the stretch last season was likely what had Ruff put Sekera in the position he put him in. As in... Sekera earned it.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
  #57
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It doesn't matter, you are defending the guy who folded under pressure during a playoff race. I won this one before it even started.
Sekera folded under the pressure, but at least the rest of the team rose to the challenge, right?

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
  #58
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Speak of opinion... Sekera's play down the stretch last season was likely what had Ruff put Sekera in the position he put him in. As in... Sekera earned it.
Opinion: I don't consider 30 games at 22 years old enough to earn 23 minutes on opening night the next year. Especially with a two time ECF shut down pair, a veteran Captain, and a Spacek in front of him.

I guess this just boils down to another decision I disagree with our overrated coach on. I haven't agreed with much of any of his coaching decisions the last two years... and we've missed the playoffs....

FIRE RUFF


Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
  #59
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Sekera folded under the pressure, but at least the rest of the team rose to the challenge, right?
What's your point?

Sekera's play has been sooo bad that even Sekera knows he sucks... I haven't seen the guy from the first month of the season since December.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
  #60
SpachoMan
Registered User
 
SpachoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tonawanda
Country: United States
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Facts and Opinions are oil and water...

His +/- stands out like a sore thumb, i argue against plus minus when someone uses it to compare Brian Campbell defensively to Toni Lydman... that's a case of misrepresenting +/-..... but when Sekera is -16, and his partner(s)are in the +, that's a relevant statistic.

Sekera never earned the first pairing. He never beat out Lydallinder, Ruff made a decision. He spoke of breaking up Lydallinder the first week of camp. Ruff had an opinion of Sekera coming into camp, he wanted to MAKE him a #1 before he earned it. Sekera was given the role, it was never earned.

I think maturity and mental stability go hand in hand, especially with defensemen. But I understand that you ahve to see it the opposite way...

It doesn't matter, you are defending the guy who folded under pressure during a playoff race. I won this one before it even started.
I see what you're saying and agree with you.

The real test will be to see how he responds to the benching. It will go a long way to show his maturity and how he's going to play under Ruff. I wouldn't want to see him fall into the perpetual doghouse.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
  #61
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 28,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Opinion: I don't consider 30 games at 22 years old enough to earn 23 minutes on opening night the next year. Especially with a two time ECF shut down pair, a veteran Captain, and a Spacek in front of him.

I guess this just boils down to another decision I disagree with our overrated coach on. I haven't agreed with much of any of his coaching decisions the last two years... and we've missed the playoffs....

FIRE RUFF

Again, you choose to ignore he play ON THE ICE. If he didn't look miles better than any other defenseman down the stretch last year, no he doesn't get the ice time that he did at the start.

More hits than Rivet? Fewer giveaways than his partner? Third on the team in blocked shots? He's 22 years old and was NOT looking remotely close to that age for the majority of the past season and a half. He can lead our breakout better than all of our defensemen and he's quicker than all of them as well. It is what it is, and you can call it overrating him if it pleases you. It happens to be the popular opinion, but then again...

Yeah... This seems to be tied in with your anti-Ruff agenda, so you can have at it with that whole branch. Kind of absurd.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
  #62
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Again, you choose to ignore he play ON THE ICE. If he didn't look miles better than any other defenseman down the stretch last year, no he doesn't get the ice time that he did at the start.

More hits than Rivet? Fewer giveaways than his partner? Third on the team in blocked shots? He's 22 years old and was NOT looking remotely close to that age for the majority of the past season and a half. He can lead our breakout better than all of our defensemen and he's quicker than all of them as well. It is what it is, and you can call it overrating him if it pleases you. It happens to be the popular opinion, but then again...

Yeah... This seems to be tied in with your anti-Ruff agenda, so you can have at it with that whole branch. Kind of absurd.
speaking of not looking at the on ice play... you must've been refilling your koolaid a lot over the last few months.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
  #63
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 28,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
speaking of not looking at the on ice play... you must've been refilling your koolaid a lot over the last few months.
Maybe the last two games, yeah.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.