HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs Sign Prospect Hanson

Old
04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
cjdv16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Ron Wilson mentioned it was like getting a first rounder - but the important thing will be whether or not he is going to be an NHLer.

Heck - Scott Scissons was a first rounder.
Easy on Scott Scissions.

Actually, he is a prime example (along with Scott Lachance) in my inter-board arguments with other Islander fans who would rather win games now than secure a higher draft position.

Think winning that extra game and missing on Jaromir Jagr and Scott Niedermayer stung a bit? While I recognize this goes both ways in terms of misses, I don't want to be on this side again per the two instances mentioned above.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Being able to play with the Leafs right away must of been some added incentive for Hanson to sign with the blue and white.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
Being able to play with the Leafs right away must of been some added incentive for Hanson to sign with the blue and white.
It's also one of the points made regarding Bozak's possible team of choice. If he sees an opportunity to make it to the bigs right away, I'm sure it will weigh in his decision.

04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Andrew Mack

Hanson was the Fan590 this afternoon and he sounds like one helluva a kid. Very educated and a great interview. If he doesn't turn into the top six forward Burke thinks he'll be, at least he'll bring a shot of character into that organization.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
Found these quotes on the Leafs board
Quote:
"He's a skill guy, he's not a bruiser," Burke said of the younger Hanson. "We project him as one of our top six forwards."

"Its like having another 1st round draft pick essentially, by signing Hanson" said coach Ron Wilson about the signing.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:05 AM
JTG

****in' machine took my quarter

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Madic

I only got to see him play once (a few weeks ago on Sportsnet's NCAA friday broadcast), and I wasn't particularly watching him as I had no clue who he was at the time...but I'd say based on that game he's not a bruiser.

I also wouldn't say he's got Wheeler's skillset, which isn't what Burke said in the first place but just compounding that...he looked to have decent hands, loved to take the puck through the neutral zone and worked hard on the forcheck. The guy can hit, but he I don't think he'll ever turn out to be a scrapper. I still wouldn't classify this as "another first rounder", as I've watched lots of 18 year old top prospects who looked better than him out there, and that age advantage in relation to skill is why it's more like another 3rd to me. Dickering over semantics at this point, though.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:17 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Just to be anal, Penner at age 22 only had 28 points in his first AHL season and broke out during his age 23 year. Hanson just turned 23 a few weeks ago. Like X-Sharkie said, aside from both having good size and being NCAA free agents, they don't seem to have similar playing styles.
Well, Penner's original playing style was as a grinder with great size and upper body strength and can protect the puck for prolongue periods of time. Hockeysfuture.com quoted him as being a "Lunch-Pail" type but he had great chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry when they were down there in 2005-2006 and they ended up scoring points in buckets. On the other hand, I don't know much about Hanson so, I can't really come to conclusion on him. I think they both definitely can play that down-low role and stir up some havoc and with their size, can play in front of the net as a screen and look for rebounds but that, I think, is as far as it goes.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote