HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wiercioch to turn pro?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2009, 01:05 AM
  #51
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellHockey View Post
The best way to improve a player is to have them play at the highest level they are capable of. People who know how to develop players understand this. That's why Tavares fought the OHL rules so that he could join the league early. The better the competition you go against, the more you improve. The AHL is better then NCAA because the competition is better and you play a lot more games.

If he is capable of playing in the AHL, and the Senators must think he is if they are trying to turn him pro, then he will be a much better player a year from now if he is in the AHL then if he is in the NCAA.
Tavares was a freak at 14 and was utterly dominating the competition his age.

You're out of your mind to compare the situations.

Putting him into the AHL next year burns a year of his development / time with us in the minors. A pointless, short-sighted move.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
  #52
gnr25
Registered User
 
gnr25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Actually, him being in the AHL would only use up a year of his entry-level deal. It would not affect when he could become a UFA. In fact, they same goes for the 2010-2011 season because he has a late birthday. If he's on the NHL roster for under 40 regular season games both seasons, then he wouldn't become a UFA until 2018.

gnr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  #53
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr25 View Post
Actually, him being in the AHL would only use up a year of his entry-level deal. It would not affect when he could become a UFA. In fact, they same goes for the 2010-2011 season because he has a late birthday. If he's on the NHL roster for under 40 regular season games both seasons, then he wouldn't become a UFA until 2018.
Didn't know that.

I still wouldn't sign him for next season. He's far from maxing out his development at Denver.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:50 PM
  #54
LGSens
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Well he won't be turning pro. He may sign a contract, but he would go the junior route. At this point that doesn't seem like an upgrade over his present situation. My guess is he stays at Denver and plays in the World U20's next season.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
  #55
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Well he won't be turning pro. He may sign a contract, but he would go the junior route. At this point that doesn't seem like an upgrade over his present situation. My guess is he stays at Denver and plays in the World U20's next season.
I doubt they even sign him. If they did he would no longer be eligible to play in the NCAA. Let him get comfortable and stay in college and develop. There's no reason to rush any of our prospects.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
  #56
VermetteFan
Registered User
 
VermetteFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 582
vCash: 500
Clouston likely here to stay
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...363/story.html

*First-year University of Denver defenceman Patrick Wiercioch will also be in Ottawa soon. He had a separated shoulder before the start of last season and Murray wants to have him checked by doctors in Ottawa.

Murray expects the 18-year-old to stay at least another year in Denver.

VermetteFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
  #57
Skrymir
Registered User
 
Skrymir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermetteFan View Post
Clouston likely here to stay
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...363/story.html

*First-year University of Denver defenceman Patrick Wiercioch will also be in Ottawa soon. He had a separated shoulder before the start of last season and Murray wants to have him checked by doctors in Ottawa.

Murray expects the 18-year-old to stay at least another year in Denver.
Good for Wiercioch it's the right choice to make.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.