HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread 08-09, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
AllCanadienFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I wonder what Hamilton's defense will look like next season?

McDonagh, Subban, Emelin, Fischer and Torp all have a chance to play in the AHL next season. Emelin is the long shot, because we don't know if he'll come over or not.

Plus, Weber and Carle could still be in Hamilton next season.
I don't know how old Emelin is but the average age of the other 4 is 19.5. I would think that any more than 2 on the roster next year would be a push.
I agree that Weber and Carle might still be in Hamilton next year. If one goes then right now I'd pick Carle. I know the stats don't support that comment. He doesn't have Weber's cannon but he moves the puck better can get more shots to the net. Defensively Weber is a liability, he doesn't seem to want the puck in our end and gets beat on the one on one battles. Allot depends on what happens during the summer and of course in Montreal. They need to find a top 4 right handed shot dman and resign Komisarik.
Also, I suspect that Belle is still on Montreal's radar, what does anyone think of Janik and Kemp?

Old
03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
I don't know how old Emelin is but the average age of the other 4 is 19.5. I would think that any more than 2 on the roster next year would be a push.
I agree that Weber and Carle might still be in Hamilton next year. If one goes then right now I'd pick Carle. I know the stats don't support that comment. He doesn't have Weber's cannon but he moves the puck better can get more shots to the net. Defensively Weber is a liability, he doesn't seem to want the puck in our end and gets beat on the one on one battles. Allot depends on what happens during the summer and of course in Montreal. They need to find a top 4 right handed shot dman and resign Komisarik.
Also, I suspect that Belle is still on Montreal's radar, what does anyone think of Janik and Kemp?
Emelin is an '86, so he'll be 23 next season.

If I had to pick between Carle and Weber for the Habs next year, I'd go with Weber for sure, I found him to be much better overall then Carle was in his rookie year. Both need to get stronger physicall and improve there defensive zone play. I hope neither are full time Habs, so it could be very crowded with Subban, Weber and Carle as RD's.

Belle should be back in Hamilton for sure, Janik and Kemp, I'd be surprised if either was brought back. I would like to see Henry back if he's willing.

Old
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

If I had to pick between Carle and Weber for the Habs next year, I'd go with Weber for sure, I found him to be much better overall then Carle was in his rookie year. Both need to get stronger physicall and improve there defensive zone play. I hope neither are full time Habs, so it could be very crowded with Subban, Weber and Carle as RD's.

Belle should be back in Hamilton for sure, Janik and Kemp, I'd be surprised if either was brought back. I would like to see Henry back if he's willing.
If I read you correctly, MTL, Weber isnt ready yet to assume a regular role on the Habs D?

Old
03-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Denis was one of the best goalie in the Ahl this year
sorry, but his team helped him achieve his numbers. His play helped the team lose many games they should have won. Thats the way i have seen it this season. Sure if you just look at the numbers and don't watch the games, you could surmise that Denis did alright but this team is way better than its record as far as im concerned.

Old
03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Toro

Quote:

Yea with a better goalie, Hamilton would be a better team, as they are already one of the top teams in the AHL points wise. The problem all year has not been the goaltending aside from a couple bad games here and there, one thing is that the Dogs have lost of a lot of close games, look at how few overtime/shootout games they have played. They are the only team in the league that doesn't have a los in the shootout and have 4 losses in OT. They are right up there among the league leaders in wins, so had they been able to force a couple more OT games, they'd likely be sitting in 2nd place right now.

The Moose have the best goalie in the league imo, so even with a better goalie, I'd be surprised if the Dogs can beat them

Why? The dogs have out played them mostly from what i have seen and usually lose by a goal.

Denis isn't bad but he is not an elite AHL goalie. It just sucks that Hamilton has been blessed with great goaltending the last few years and now with the team they have are being let down in the big games by Denis.

The moose are beatable, its just their goalie beats us.

sounds to me like our goaltending is the problem no?

Old
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Toro

Quote:

I agree with this assessment completely.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
If I read you correctly, MTL, Weber isnt ready yet to assume a regular role on the Habs D?
He has 1 game of experience at the nhl level, so you can't go into the summer expecting him to be a full timer. Granted he may force the team to keep him, but Gainey has to have a plan in place that has Weber in the AHL next year, and Weber needs to come to camp ready to steal a roster spot (and he's got to be a regular as Gainey likely will not keep him around as a 7th D)

I am a big fan of Weber, but it's too risky to count him in the roster next year, until he starts getting some games under his belt and shows he can handle a full time spot. I'd rather see him get some games in with the Habs while spending most of the time in Hamilton, working on his defensive zone play and getting stronger, no need to rush him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Why? The dogs have out played them mostly from what i have seen and usually lose by a goal.

Denis isn't bad but he is not an elite AHL goalie. It just sucks that Hamilton has been blessed with great goaltending the last few years and now with the team they have are being let down in the big games by Denis.

The moose are beatable, its just their goalie beats us.

sounds to me like our goaltending is the problem no?
The Moose are the top team in the conference for a reason, they have some real snipers and they play a tight defensive game and have the best goalie. The Dogs have played the moose well and the difference if they meet in the playoffs could well come down to goaltending, but its' hard to fault Denis or the Dogs when facing the best goalie in the league.

I agree, Denis is not an elite goalie, I don't see Denis as letting them down, to me he's not the problem, I just don't see it that way. In no way am I saying he's great, to me he does his job.

Last edited by montreal: 04-01-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old
04-01-2009, 12:43 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I think Weber's had a great rookie year and had allot of potential. All I am saying is based on play right now I think Carle is a better bet. On the PP he moves the puck better, gets his shots to the net (agreed not as hard), he's better at getting open without the puck and defensively he is much more reliable in his own end.
I agree with you that Belle should be back. Don't know if he's got the smarts to play at the next level. Why do you think Janik and Kemp may not be back? When we dress 7 dmen, Henry gets put on forward and they rotate the other six guys on D. I like Henry allot and also would like to see him back, but I interpret that as they like the 6 D they are playing better.

Old
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Weber's had a great rookie year and had allot of potential. All I am saying is based on play right now I think Carle is a better bet. On the PP he moves the puck better, gets his shots to the net (agreed not as hard), he's better at getting open without the puck and defensively he is much more reliable in his own end.
I agree with you that Belle should be back. Don't know if he's got the smarts to play at the next level. Why do you think Janik and Kemp may not be back? When we dress 7 dmen, Henry gets put on forward and they rotate the other six guys on D. I like Henry allot and also would like to see him back, but I interpret that as they like the 6 D they are playing better.
I think Carle's looked better of late, but I still think Weber is the better player and will see more time with the Habs next year. Although if Carle can get a little quicker and considerably stronger, I like his chances of seeing time in the NHL. His best asset is moving the puck, he's got some impressive vision on the ice for sure.

Belle should be a good depth guy to have around, I don't see him making the Habs

Janik and Kemp didn't sign here, so I assume they will want to try their luck elsewhere. I don't know if the Habs will be interested in keeping them, as it's unknown at this point just how many rookie D's they will have in the lineup, as they will need to get ice time to some of these guys if they turn pro. So for now it's just a wild guess.

Old
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
TinordiandSubban

Dogs D 09-10

Henry - Webber
Belle - Subban
Torp - Carle

That is a kick ass Defence Corps.

Old
04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Templeton

Guys like Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle and Rafalski took at least 2 or 3 years in the AHL or in Europe before the NHL. I don't say that Carle and Weber will have the same career of those guys but Montreal should give 'em the time to develop properly. I think that an offensive d-man should dominate in the AHL before getting in the NHL.

Look at Mark Streit. He didn't catch the attention before he has 27-28 y.o. and until he was a ppg in the Swiss-A. They should be careful with those young players.

Two or three years in the AHL with some games in the NHL should be enough to be ready. They learn a lot and get the "man" shape proper to play at the higher level. IMO O'byrne wasn't totally ready and a lot of people are bashing him because he is making mistakes. I just want to avoid that with Subban, Weber, Carle, ...

Old
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
Dogs D 09-10

Henry - Webber
Belle - Subban
Torp - Carle

That is a kick ass Defence Corps.

i think torp stay in sweden one more year and McDonagh sign with us this summer like Maxpac last year after the dev camp

Old
04-02-2009, 09:24 AM
TinordiandSubban

Even better!

Old
04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I am bummed to read some of these things about Weber likely not being ready for the NHL for the start next season. Ugh as I was hoping we could start the process of adding our top D prospects to our NHL mix as soon as next fall, although Carle could be a possibility I guess.

I guess Weber's offensive numbers don't tell us how his defensive play has been, so I'll trust ACF and montreal's judgement.

Old
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
zurg999

Quote:
sorry, but his team helped him achieve his numbers. His play helped the team lose many games they should have won. Thats the way i have seen it this season. Sure if you just look at the numbers and don't watch the games, you could surmise that Denis did alright but this team is way better than its record as far as im concerned.
I almost hate to bring it up, but you could say the very same thing about Price in the Calder run.

I'm the camp that says Denis has played well above average for significant stretches and helped this team tremendously this season. He's helped earned more points than he's helped lose.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I am bummed to read some of these things about Weber likely not being ready for the NHL for the start next season. Ugh as I was hoping we could start the process of adding our top D prospects to our NHL mix as soon as next fall, although Carle could be a possibility I guess.

I guess Weber's offensive numbers don't tell us how his defensive play has been, so I'll trust ACF and montreal's judgement.
Well it's not so much that he isn't ready, it's that we don't know if he is or isn't and it's too risky to go into the season putting him in our top 6, if we want to be a top team in east next year imo.

I fully expect Weber and Subban to get some games, if they do well, they I could see them forcing Gainey to make tough decisions but to me, I just don't see how Gainey can pencil a guy in on defense that has 1 game of experience.

I was not the biggest Weber fan last year, but I love what I've seen from him in Hamilton, and while I think he needs to get stronger, a little quicker perhaps and improve his defensive zone play, I want the Habs to be a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
II'm the camp that says Denis has played well above average for significant stretches and helped this team tremendously this season. He's helped earned more points than he's helped lose.
That's a good way to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i think torp stay in sweden one more year and McDonagh sign with us this summer like Maxpac last year after the dev camp
If I had to guess, that's what I would go with.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
TinordiandSubban

What about having Webber as the 7th defenceman next year, out on the second PP unit?
Could learn a lot by playing with Markov and Schneider every day.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
What about having Webber as the 7th defenceman next year, out on the second PP unit?
I'd rather see Weber on the top pairing in Hamilton and getting some games in with the Habs then dressing 7 D's on a nightly basis. I'm not a big fan of 7 D's at all, aside from a game or so when necessary.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
I'd rather him play big minutes in Hamilton.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
He needs to get tougher, bulk up and work on his defensive game. I don't see how this would help him. I think playing +20 minutes a night in Hamilton with some call up games is the way to handle this guy. Who knows by the end of next season he may be with the Habs. By the way, I see he made the AHL rookie team this year.

Old
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
As the season wraps up, i am not happy with the goaltending in Hamilton. Denis has been average and Desjardins is emerging but is still learning. Hamilton has a great team, better than when they won a couple years back but doesn't even come close in the goaltending department.

This weekend Hamilton out played manitoba and lost both games by a goal. In not very comfortable going into the playoffs with this tandem. Unless one of them goes on a tear or Lacasse is called up, sadly I see the goaltending letting this team down in the post season.

Im not sure the teams offence and all around play can over come the goaltending they are getting from Denis.

man I hope i'm wrong and Denis makes me eat crow.
Toro do you not think that the inconsistency of the special teams is more of a concern going into the playoffs? I agree there have been a few fluttering pucks from the blue line go in that should have been stopped but had the PP/PK been effective we might not even be talking about them.

Old
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Weber should probably get another year i n the AHL before making the fulltime jump to the NHL. I have seen him play junior hockey and think he can help the Habs down the road. Good offensive defenceman, smart playmaker and god guy.
Don't know Carle well enough.
As for Subban, he should get some time in the AHL (year or two). I have only seen him once in junior this year, but several times last year. It might be a mistake

Old
04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

2009 AHL All-Rookie Team - Weber there, but no Maxwell????

http://theahl.com/news/league/index....ticle_id=9789#

It really puzzles me how Maxwell was left off, 2nd in rookie scoring, just named AHL rookie of the month......hmmmmm I dunno, I'm sure he's gonna keep tearing it up though

Old
04-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Chomsky

How has been playing Patches so far?

Old
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus19 View Post
http://theahl.com/news/league/index....ticle_id=9789#

It really puzzles me how Maxwell was left off, 2nd in rookie scoring, just named AHL rookie of the month......hmmmmm I dunno, I'm sure he's gonna keep tearing it up though
I'm sure it was close, either way Maxwell is having a great season, as is Desharnais who is right behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
How has been playing Patches so far?
He's been playing really well, I'd like to see him be more physical since that's a big part of his game.

Last edited by montreal: 04-03-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Closed Thread