HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Maksim Trunev

Old
04-02-2009, 06:35 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
Maksim Trunev

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19034

5 points in 32 games for Maxim Trunev for Severstal Cherepovets. While that doesn't seem good, for an 18 year old that's pretty impressive. Russian prospects usually have deceptively low numbers. But anyways, who thinks that Trunev will turn out being a 5th round steal? What's his potential/upside? (I don't really get the difference)

Heres a little sample of his skill: He's #81

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Kafka

I wonder how he managed to fall to the fifth round. Probably the "Russian" problem with the NHL. The guy is small, but he has an increadible speed, great hands, will need to work on his shot (but any guy at that age would).

A gem.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
If he was born a month later he would be going in this draft and would be top 2 round player. Hes got big-time potential. Hopefully he gets some ice-time in the next couple season to develop then he comes over.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:42 AM
npineaul

Woh, this guy is certainly impressive, lots of skill, hopefully he can take it ti the NHL level

npineaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Form and Substance

People should really stop using his Mac midget AAA tournament or whatever it's called as a talent gauge. He was a 17 year old playing against 15-16 year olds and dominated as he should have. That being said, I really look forward to his progress. I've heard he's done wonders in the tier-2 Russian league, which is quite amazing at his age.
I hope he comes over soon.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19034

5 points in 32 games for Maxim Trunev for Severstal Cherepovets. While that doesn't seem good, for an 18 year old that's pretty impressive. Russian prospects usually have deceptively low numbers. But anyways, who thinks that Trunev will turn out being a 5th round steal? What's his potential/upside? (I don't really get the difference)
The problem will be getting him over here and keeping him here, I guess we'll see if he comes over this summer, I'd be shocked if he left the KHL money for the CHL, so then it becomes, will he come over the following year to play in the AHL for 50-60K. I don't know what he makes in the KHL, I'd guess not much at this point. I believe his contract with Severstal expires after next season, so perhaps that will be a good time to try and get him to come over.

I only saw one game where he played for Severstal, he's got speed/skating/hands, I really like his upside if we can get him over here.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The problem will be getting him over here and keeping him here, I guess we'll see if he comes over this summer, I'd be shocked if he left the KHL money for the CHL, so then it becomes, will he come over the following year to play in the AHL for 50-60K. I don't know what he makes in the KHL, I'd guess not much at this point. I believe his contract with Severstal expires after next season, so perhaps that will be a good time to try and get him to come over.

I only saw one game where he played for Severstal, he's got speed/skating/hands, I really like his upside if we can get him over here.
How does he compare to Perezhogin at the same age? I saw a vid where he was skating like the wind making other guys look like pylons, just like Perez was doing when he dominated the AHL..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

I was really excited when I heard he was planning on coming over last summer to play in the WHL.

Then it never happened.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:02 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Just by watching that vid, his flashes scream of Datsyuk like moves with Kovy like (Keep the puck) style He seems like a dynamic player, with charisma and heart. I hope he is as good as he's projected to be.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
marchabsfan

"Maksim" ??!! each time a russian name is written here it is changed, eheh

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
"Maksim" ??!! each time a russian name is written here it is changed, eheh
I'm not sure, but I don't think the X exists in the Russian alphabet.

When it's translated letter for letter, it's M-A-KS-I-M

The K and S make up for the X.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I believe he had an agreement with a QMJHL team (Victoriaville or Shawinigan) but the worst team of the WHL picked him. He then signed with Cherepovets instead of coming over.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think the X exists in the Russian alphabet.

When it's translated letter for letter, it's M-A-KS-I-M

The K and S make up for the X.
true but if you pronounce the name "max"

it would be spelled macs

therefore Maxim should be just fine.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
DeVries*

Actually I like the spelling with a 'ks'. Would be original to name my boy like that in North America.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Look at the left hand side-bar....is Niklas Sundstrom 5th in league scoring?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Yes...! lol That's because he is not with the Habs anymore, he's angry Bob didn't offer him a contract...!

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Impressive

And the 3rd scorer is a 22 year old swede. There's a topic about him in the main board.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Darz

Good high risk, high reward pick in the 5th round.

Timmins seemed very high on this guy when he was drafted, so......

04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Belso

I saw that video before and I can't see how that kid could not make it to the NHL. The only thing that worries me is his size.. He may be better suited for the KHL. So he may chose to stay there. But hopefully he'll come over..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Good high risk, high reward pick in the 5th round.

Timmins seemed very high on this guy when he was drafted, so......

not a knock on Trunev but Timmins is high on every pick he make!!! and by being high on that x players he get the hyped machine going and when they get in montreal we have unrealistic (sp) expectation (see price)

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
How does he compare to Perezhogin at the same age? I saw a vid where he was skating like the wind making other guys look like pylons, just like Perez was doing when he dominated the AHL..
Well Perezhogin was on the WJC at his age, (although he got injured and didn't do much), but the next year Perezhogin ripped it up, playing for both the junior and senior national team (just euro cup not wc's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I believe he had an agreement with a QMJHL team (Victoriaville or Shawinigan) but the worst team of the WHL picked him. He then signed with Cherepovets instead of coming over.
It was Victo I believe. But I personally wonder if he would had come over with them as the lure of money can be hard to overlook. Plus the Russian Hockey Federation was making a big deal about juniors leaving Russia, saying they would not be allowed to dress for the WJC's, so it might have also impacted his decision.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Ya. I think it was Portland. I was waiting for them on the sked but than I saw Trunev was not on the roster so I decided against it. Hopefully he can develop into a St. Louis type player.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It was Victo I believe. But I personally wonder if he would had come over with them as the lure of money can be hard to overlook. Plus the Russian Hockey Federation was making a big deal about juniors leaving Russia, saying they would not be allowed to dress for the WJC's, so it might have also impacted his decision.
i heard it was shawinigan (i think shawinigan had the 8th overall pick in the import draft)

btw, as for him not being allowed to play for russia at the wjc...well he stay in russia and didnt even make the team and not even make the team for the russia vs chl challenge in november (here its more the case that is russian team didnt let him go for this series) but russian federation still pick guy like gratchev, ospachuk, kulikov who play in the chl for team russia at the wjc so i really dont know??? my guess Trunev didnt really wanted to be in portland, maybe it will have been different in shawinigan (russian seems to like to play in the Q)

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Biggsy

kid has some good skills made some nice passes goes hard to the net and is pretty smooth with the puck and his skating ability hopefully he can break out and be a solid player

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i heard it was shawinigan (i think shawinigan had the 8th overall pick in the import draft)

btw, as for him not being allowed to play for russia at the wjc...well he stay in russia and didnt even make the team and not even make the team for the russia vs chl challenge in november (here its more the case that is russian team didnt let him go for this series) but russian federation still pick guy like gratchev, ospachuk, kulikov who play in the chl for team russia at the wjc so i really dont know??? my guess Trunev didnt really wanted to be in portland, maybe it will have been different in shawinigan (russian seems to like to play in the Q)
I'm too lazy to look it up but I thought it was Victo cause he knew the coach. But it was one or the other. I was a little surprised he didnt' make the team for the wjc's since he seemed to be doing well in the KHL in the games he played. I know that over the summer, is when I heard that the RHF was putting pressure on their players to stay, guess they changed their minds.

My guess is that I think he would have stayed in Russia either way as the money is hard to turn down.