HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Seems like a good kid.
I asked someone about Gaulton.Apparently Gaulton is really overweight.Ftorek didn't play him because he felt Gaulton couldn't handle London's speedy forwards.Ftorek might leave for a pro job but if he doesn't,Erie might look to trade Gaulton.

MDZ had a great series against Erie.He was outstanding defensively.Better than John Carlson.

Old
03-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I asked someone about Gaulton.Apparently Gaulton is really overweight.Ftorek didn't play him because he felt Gaulton couldn't handle London's speedy forwards.Ftorek might leave for a pro job but if he doesn't,Erie might look to trade Gaulton.

MDZ had a great series against Erie.He was outstanding defensively.Better than John Carlson.
You can't blame the kid- And that's the key word: Kid. I bet he was just depressed about his injury. It was projected that he wouldn't be able to play until next season so it must of been a surprise that he was cleared to play with 15 or so games left. I'd hope he works hard during this off-season now knowing what's at stake.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
You can't blame the kid- And that's the key word: Kid. I bet he was just depressed about his injury. It was projected that he wouldn't be able to play until next season so it must of been a surprise that he was cleared to play with 15 or so games left. I'd hope he works hard during this off-season now knowing what's at stake.
That is hardly an excuse at all. Seems like a complete waste of a pick if we got a lazy, unmotivated player like himself.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

When does Brampton play again????

They aren't on the OHL's schedule posted on the website....

Old
03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
That is hardly an excuse at all. Seems like a complete waste of a pick if we got a lazy, unmotivated player like himself.
Don't you think that's a bit harsh? He probably spent all his efforts toward rehabbing his elbow and didn't work enough on his conditioning. Let's remember that the initial projection was that he would miss the entire year. Seems to me like he rushed it and would have been better off taking it slow and doing it right.

The key will be how he reacts to this. Let's see what kind of shape he's in to start next year and how he plays before we start getting down on the kid. We knew he was a risky pick when we selected him because of the injury. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

They just updated the site. Brampton will play Mississauga starting on Thursday. They had to wait for the Niagara/Ottawa series to finish.

Niagara beat Ottawa in overtime in game 7 tonight. They were down 3-1 going into the 3rd and scored 2 in the third to tie, and then scored 13 seconds into OT to win it.

Old
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Don't you think that's a bit harsh? He probably spent all his efforts toward rehabbing his elbow and didn't work enough on his conditioning. Let's remember that the initial projection was that he would miss the entire year. Seems to me like he rushed it and would have been better off taking it slow and doing it right.

The key will be how he reacts to this. Let's see what kind of shape he's in to start next year and how he plays before we start getting down on the kid. We knew he was a risky pick when we selected him because of the injury. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.
Well summed up. Anyone taking another view, I think you may be looking for things to criticize.

Old
03-31-2009, 09:25 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

agreed

Old
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Calling him lazy and unmotivated might be a bit of a stretch, don't ya think FLY? Plenty of world-class athletes struggle with conditioning in the immediate return from an injury. Also, he acknowledged he was out of shape just two weeks ago and pledged to get back into prime shape. Don't rush to judgment.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

They open their series at home against Mississauga on April 2.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Calling him lazy and unmotivated might be a bit of a stretch, don't ya think FLY? Plenty of world-class athletes struggle with conditioning in the immediate return from an injury. Also, he acknowledged he was out of shape just two weeks ago and pledged to get back into prime shape. Don't rush to judgment.
We'll see. But I would hope someone who got drafted into the best hockey league in the world would have been taking care of of eating habits and done as much conditioning as he was able to while he was injured, apparently not. Junior players get injured all the time, how often do you hear them coming back out of shape and overweight?. This isn't a guy who just got hurt playing in his beer league and didnt bother exercising in the meantime and started eating McD's every other day.

I would have expected better from someone who wants to make it to the NHL. An elbow injury doesn't prevent someone from hitting the stationary bike for 2 hours a day.

Call me not a fan.

Old
04-01-2009, 12:35 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
We'll see. But I would hope someone who got drafted into the best hockey league in the world would have been taking care of of eating habits and done as much conditioning as he was able to while he was injured, apparently not. Junior players get injured all the time, how often do you hear them coming back out of shape and overweight?. This isn't a guy who just got hurt playing in his beer league and didnt bother exercising in the meantime and started eating McD's every other day.

I would have expected better from someone who wants to make it to the NHL. An elbow injury doesn't prevent someone from hitting the stationary bike for 2 hours a day.

Call me not a fan.
I think you're being too tough, FLY.

Anyone who is off the ice for two long, especially a kid like that, can easily fall out of shape -- for an athlete. A hockey player (or any athlete) being overweight is not the same as the average Joe being overweight.

That said, Gaulton's not a pro, he doesn't have a hefty salary to pay professional trainers, nor does he have the Rangers' training centre to go to every day. Even with the benefit of support and advice from the Rangers or his Junior team, he likely had to train himself, perhaps his workout routine was not sufficient.

Everything I read about Gaulton after he was drafted indicated to me that he's the opposite of a lazy, unmotivated kid. For a recent 6th round draft-pick who's dealt with a nearly career-ending injury, I'm not going to unload a lot of harsh criticism.

Old
04-01-2009, 04:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Medicine Hat won game 7 on the road.Their next opponent will be determined by the outcome of Lethbridge-Saskatoon which is another game 7.

Brampton was facing either Ottawa or Mississaugua.The OHL couldn't release a schedule since they did not know the opponents.

Old
04-01-2009, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gaulton is already preparing for the Rangers rookie camp which is three months away

Quote:
So Gaulton will have no time off this offseason, he said. “It’s a huge summer for me,” he said. “I’ve had enough of a break. I’ve got to go home and get right into it. And hopefully I meet (the New York Rangers) coaches’ standards, I meet our coaches’ standards and we’ll just see what happens.”

Gaulton, the Rangers’ sixth-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, is focused on the club’s rookie camp in late June. Right now, Gaulton figures he’s near the bottom of the Rangers’ prospect depth chart on defense, which includes London’s Michael Del Zotto - a 2008 first-round pick. He’s also focused on cracking the Otters’ top four on defense, a spot he held before being injured in Oct. 2007.

“I’ve got to come back and be a lot more prepared,” he said, “learn from what happened this year and hope to come up with some more experience. … I’ve just got to work my hardest to be ready for that and just see what the outcome is
.”
http://www.goerieblogs.com/sports/shootout/?p=790

Nice gun Mitch

http://www.facebook.com/people/Mitch-Gaulton/722260178

Old
04-01-2009, 05:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

1-MDZ
2-Bobby Sanguinetti
3-Corey Potter/Michael Sauer
5-Tomas Kundratek
6-Mitch Gaulton

Tyson Dowzak

Is Ivan Baranka still considered a prospect?

Old
04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Ola

I am with Fly when it comes to Gaulton.

I guess any juniorplayer can do what he did, but just about "any junior" player doesn't make the NHL.

Old
04-01-2009, 06:52 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

It's not really a surprise. That elbow injury has destroyed two straight seasons. He played 20 games in 07-08 and 22 in 08-09. He will have to get back in shape and next year is probably a make or break year for him.

Old
04-01-2009, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Brampton had our number this year but that doesn’t matter now because the playoffs are different,” said Mississauga rookie Devante Smith-Pelly, who scored the game-winning goal at 18:05 of the third overtime period Saturday to give the Majors a 4-3 win over the Colts and take the best-of-seven quarter-final series 4-1.

“They (Battalion) have a really explosive offence but I think our defence can handle them,” added Smith-Pelly, who had two goals and three assists and was a plus-5 in the five-game series against Barrie.

The Battalion, which features high-octane players such as Cody Hodgson, Matt Duchene and first-year player Evgeny Grachev, won seven of the eight games between the Peel teams this season. Mississauga’s only victory was a 4-1 decision on March 6 at the Hershey Centre
http://www.mississauga.com/article/25651

Old
04-01-2009, 07:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Saginaw coach Tom Watson on London

Quote:
"That's what scares me the most: their power-play," Watson said. "If we're in the nine, 10 penalty range, that's not a smart way to go. We want to earn every penalty that we deserve. Let them be hard-working penalties, not lazy ones.

"As far as their defensive scoring, their blue line is good. They really like to jump into play and they can bring it. They step in that offensive zone and we're well aware of it. I'm confident we can defend it
."
http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...o_stop_lo.html

Saginaw has a really good young goalie

Quote:
Spirit goaltender Eddie Pasquale gets the most workload. The 18-year-old ranks eighth in save percentage (.927) and ninth in goal-against (2.77) in the playoffs.

Many consider the Toronto native the top goaltending prospect for the NHL. He's the Spirit's best counter in the talent versus talent department.

"This is quite a challenge for Eddie," Watson said. "Let's put it this way: If we win the series, I'm willing to argue that a lot of talk is going to be centered around Eddie Pasquale. We're probably going to have that kind of series with them
."
http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...o_stop_lo.html

Old
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Article from earlier this month on Gaulton and his conditioning:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0/BASKETBALL04

He has the right attitude, so I'm not really worried about it.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
squishy

Re: Gaulton... My understanding is that he came back far earlier than anyone expected, right? My question is why the coaching staff ever re-inserted him in the line-up if he didn't meet weight and conditioning standards? I'd think an extra month in the gym to get closer to playing shape once he was cleared from the injury would have benefited both parties far more than bringing in a kid that's not up to your standards and then not playing him. Kinda sounds like poor player management to me.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Re: Gaulton... My understanding is that he came back far earlier than anyone expected, right? My question is why the coaching staff ever re-inserted him in the line-up if he didn't meet weight and conditioning standards? I'd think an extra month in the gym to get closer to playing shape once he was cleared from the injury would have benefited both parties far more than bringing in a kid that's not up to your standards and then not playing him. Kinda sounds like poor player management to me.
Agreed. If the guy wasn't up to par coming off the injury, why stick him into the lineup to make an ass out of himself?

Old
04-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I'm pretty sure that towards the end of the season and going into the playoffs, the Otters had a couple of injuries on the back-end. I guess they didn't realize how out of shape he was until he started playing games. To me, it sounds like they just didn't have any one else available and needed an extra body on the bench.

Old
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Grachev back in action tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc3HVy8ekNE#t=00m22s

EDIT - thanks for trying to help Trxjw. If you click on the link it forwards to the relevant point in the video (22 sec in). Don't seem to be able to make the embedded video work that way though.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 04-02-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Fixed embed
Old
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Freight traaaaaain!

Closed Thread