Ducks vs. Oilers

Old
04-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Quote from MacTavish after the game: "We had what we thought was some reliable information."

Hmmm
If it was Penner who told him that, bad on Mac T's part to make his decision just based on that. It's almost been two years since Penner and Selanne were teammates, a lot can change in that time.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Nikko*

The thing is I can guarantee you he (like many players) uses illegal sticks frequently but you have to be an absolute moron to think he's not smart about it and switches it out depending on the game situation. He's been caught before and he's one of the smartest hockey players in the league. If you want to try and pull a fast one, do it on one of our top 3, they're more likely to pull the mental gaffe. I have grown to hate the Oilers on the same level as the Stars, which is somewhere more than the Kings but less than the Wings. MacT is one of the worst coaches in the league IMO and basically let the only wind his team had in its sails all game go away. He and Lowe seem to make themselves look far stupider than any wisecracker named Burke ever could.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Paul4587

I also agree about re-signing Marchant he's been awesome ever since he's been put on the 3rd line when Pahlsson went down with Mono. Hopefully he wants to stay and Anaheim and will take a pay cut.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:57 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Marchant has been great as the 3rd line center this year. Better than God has been, actually. I don't think many people are really surprised though, I mean I knew he could be a good 3rd line center if Pahlsson wasn't one of the best in the league and taking up that spot. Which is why I hoped we could trade him this year when we needed to clear salary, because I thought other teams would know he could fill a valuable and (bigger than he had here) role, even if he was a little overpaid.

That said, they should be wary of re-signing him. First of all there's the salary. Who knows if he's willing to take a big paycut to stay. But he'd have to to play on this team.

But also of concern is the fact that he's getting up there in years, and he's not particularly durable. One great thing about Pahlsson of a couple years ago was he could take all sorts of minutes, and still play 82 games. In Marchant's past 3 seasons he's played 61, 56, and 75 games. He's already missed 10 games this year. Then you want to add to that the killer minutes Carlyle gives his featured checker? I don't know if Marchant can take it.

In the end I think he'd be good to keep, but you have to be careful about the contract in terms of both length and salary (due to risk).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Marchant has been great as the 3rd line center this year. Better than God has been, actually. I don't think many people are really surprised though, I mean I knew he could be a good 3rd line center if Pahlsson wasn't one of the best in the league and taking up that spot. Which is why I hoped we could trade him this year when we needed to clear salary, because I thought other teams would know he could fill a valuable and (bigger than he had here) role, even if he was a little overpaid.

That said, they should be wary of re-signing him. First of all there's the salary. Who knows if he's willing to take a big paycut to stay. But he'd have to to play on this team.

But also of concern is the fact that he's getting up there in years, and he's not particularly durable. One great thing about Pahlsson of a couple years ago was he could take all sorts of minutes, and still play 82 games. In Marchant's past 3 seasons he's played 61, 56, and 75 games. He's already missed 10 games this year. Then you want to add to that the killer minutes Carlyle gives his featured checker? I don't know if Marchant can take it.

In the end I think he'd be good to keep, but you have to be careful about the contract in terms of both length and salary (due to risk).
I agree about the durability issue, but having Noke as a solid backup plan would seem to take care of that, the same way Marchant has in the absence of Pahlsson.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I agree about the durability issue, but having Noke as a solid backup plan would seem to take care of that, the same way Marchant has in the absence of Pahlsson.
Yeah it's true that we have a bunch of younger guys who could fill that role. Nokia, Miller, Carter, Wirtanen. Maybe even MacMillan, although he's probably a couple of years away. Green's also possible, although I doubt he re-signs. That might be all the insurance we need.

But then his contract has to reflect that, so we can pay for both him while being injured and his replacement (maybe 15% of a 600k guy to pay for ~12 games replacement).

Old
04-02-2009, 12:23 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

How about give Marchant the contract that Sammy had with us? 2.8 mil for two years? He gets banged up a bit but with the exception of his hernia surgery two years ago it hasn't been anything major. I'm his biggest fan around and I want him to come back but it does have to be at a discount. But that shouldn't be unrealistic, because who else would give him comparable money? The only guy I can think of is Burke and he doesn't have the space to throw over a mil at a checking center not named Pahlsson.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
How about give Marchant the contract that Sammy had with us? 2.8 mil for two years? He gets banged up a bit but with the exception of his hernia surgery two years ago it hasn't been anything major. I'm his biggest fan around and I want him to come back but it does have to be at a discount. But that shouldn't be unrealistic, because who else would give him comparable money? The only guy I can think of is Burke and he doesn't have the space to throw over a mil at a checking center not named Pahlsson.
2.8 million for Marchant?? That's a pretty big overpayment IMO

I'd give him 1.9 tops.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
2.8 million for Marchant?? That's a pretty big overpayment IMO

I'd give him 1.9 tops.
1.4 per year, 2.8 for two.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
1.4 per year, 2.8 for two.
oh okay, 2.8 over 2 years sounds better.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Tfighter

The highest i would pay Marchant is 1.2 million a year. He has done a lot for the ducks but i hope he gets a bigger contract somewhere else. The guy is over 35. No need to resign him.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I don't have a problem keeping him around at half his current price. He's still effective and another year for Nokelainen to learn from a vet like that isn't a bad thing.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
I don't have a problem keeping him around at half his current price. He's still effective and another year for Nokelainen to learn from a vet like that isn't a bad thing.
Agreed, not to mention he's a great team guy, who everyone seems to really like. Plus, what would become of Tim!

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

1.4 is a little bit more than I'd be willing to give Marchant. Especially for 2 years (35+ contract). He gets the money or the term, not both.

1.4 is barely acceptable, but only if you add my previously mentioned ~90k discount (= 1.3 final).

If he wants 2 years, it'll have to be lower, like 1.1 million.

Old
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Randall Graves*

my only issue is we need to get scoring from our bottom 6 next year, if we keep Marchant is it really viable?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote