HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If TB Wins the Lottery

Old
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
FlyersCup08

vCash: 500
If TB Wins the Lottery

Okay, before you hang me, I have read the other threads similar to this, and I don't think they address my point specifically.

If TB wins the draft lottery, giving them No. 1 overall and (assuming) the Islanders land No. 2, I would say that it makes more sense for TB to draft Hedman because of their center situation of Lecavalier and Stamkos.

Therefore, since I believe that Tavares will go No. 1 overall, and Islanders would kill to have him, do you think TB would swap 1st rounders with the Isles? This way TB still gets Hedman, and they get whatever else the Isles are willing to part with. Even if it's just a 5th rounder, better than nothing.

Or, do you think the Isles would just settle for the No. 2 and risk taking Hedman (which is still not a bad pick at all) ?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Acekicker123

They'd definitely swap. Maybe for the San Jose 1st rounder that the Islanders got from Ottawa.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Sportacus
:)

It might be in the Isles best interest in that case to trade down to #3 (assuming Avs), who would kill to have Hedman, so the Isles would get Duchene, as well as whatever the cost of trading up (to Colorado) would be.

Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

The Islanders will very likely stand pat with their pick this June, IMO.

They need players of both Taveras' and Hedman's ability. They will be very happy to land either one; they need to add top end talent to the organization, period. No need to get too cute.

(And they won't cry if they end up with Duchene, either.)

Last edited by Trottier: 04-02-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
They'd definitely swap. Maybe for the San Jose 1st rounder that the Islanders got from Ottawa.
It would not cost that much at all. It would probably be comparable to what Florida (I think it was) paid to get Bouwmeester.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Schennanigans

If I was TB I would trade down to #2 and take Hedmen, but the plan could possibly be deal Vinny than draft Tavares.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Not a chance! Way too much.
If, and that is a big IF they do swap it would be for a minimal asset. Like a previous poster stated, the Isles would be happy with either Tavares or Hedman. Judging by TB's current system, logic would point to them selecting Hedman anyways.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:04 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Okay, before you hang me, I have read the other threads similar to this, and I don't think they address my point specifically.

If TB wins the draft lottery, giving them No. 1 overall and (assuming) the Islanders land No. 2, I would say that it makes more sense for TB to draft Hedman because of their center situation of Lecavalier and Stamkos.

Therefore, since I believe that Tavares will go No. 1 overall, and Islanders would kill to have him, do you think TB would swap 1st rounders with the Isles? This way TB still gets Hedman, and they get whatever else the Isles are willing to part with. Even if it's just a 5th rounder, better than nothing.

Or, do you think the Isles would just settle for the No. 2 and risk taking Hedman (which is still not a bad pick at all) ?
Isles need both a stud defender and top line scoring.There was a recent informal poll asking 12 scouts, which of the 2 players they'd take #1.Tavares won the poll 7-5.

The isles suffered a pretty nasty pr backlash from their fans, after passing up Filatov last yr.Part of it they bought on themselves.Their scouts singled out Filatov for praise,their owner in a townhall like meeting bought up Filatov.So it wasn't surprising that the fans went into the draft,thinking he'd be an isle if he was on the board at #5.

This season, nyi fans have been pretty vocal about prefering Tavares.However, I think the Isles are laying the groundwork for drafting Hedman.A team sponsered(sp) blog said that regardless of who the fans wanted,the isles had to draft the BPA.We're seeing more pro Hedman comments from scouts on that site as if they are trying to sell the fans on Hedman.

So to answer you're question ,I think the isles would prefer the defenseman but will take the scorer if Hedman's gone by the 2nd pick.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 04-02-2009 at 11:19 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Both have the potential to become franchise players.Either would immediately become the isles #1 prospect.No need to give up a 1st rounder.

Take Hedman at #2.Let's him develop alongside the other key kids Okposo and Bailey.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Solaris

I don't see how trading down just one spot would get anything, I mean if you're the Islanders in this situation and you know they want Hedman, then why not just hold out and see if they're willing to pick him first overall leaving JT to the Isles. If not then getting Hedman without having to give anything up is still pretty sweet.

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Whichever team gets the 1st overall pick takes Tavares and never looks back.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

They need players of both Taveras' and Hedman's ability. They will be very happy to land either one; they need to add top end talent to the organization, period. No need to get too cute.

1000% agreed. There's definitely something starting to build there, beginning with Okposo and Bailey... but the Isles are still at a point where they need top tier talent at any and every position. Getting Hedman OR Tavares is a good thing for the Isles. I hope they don't miraculously get 3... (what are the odds of that, anyways?)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Sens Mile

If Tampa Bay wins the draft lottery I can confidentaly say they would still draft Tavares. But I assume that means there would be a deal that would severley help their future by trading Lecavier to the Canadiens. They would be able to gain many assets for him IE: Subban, two first rounders, etc

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Whichever team gets the 1st overall pick takes Tavares and never looks back.
I think that will happen. But if i were picking first, i would trade him and try pull a Lindross kind of deal.

Something like:

1) Filatov
2) Voracek
3) Methot
4) First

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
I think that will happen. But if i were picking first, i would trade him and try pull a Lindross kind of deal.

Something like:

1) Filatov
2) Voracek
3) Methot
4) First
I personally think that is quite the overpayment.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
LeafsGetTavares*

How about TB trades the number 1 to NYI for their 1st and second and third? That way TB gets hedman plus a second and third?

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:46 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

if I'm at the 2 spot, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. it takes second guessing out and you just take the other player. their both great, and should both anchor their end of the ice.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post

Something like:

1) Filatov
2) Voracek
3) Methot
4) First
I think if they had the cap space that would be another option. In order to go that route though they'd need to take tavares and deal Lecavalier to free up the space. If the NHL allowed trading of cap space it would open up many other options but that will never happen.

Old
04-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Don't you know? The Lightning are so stupid they're going to pick Tyson Barrie with that 1st round pick.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I honestly think that Isles fans have endured such mediocre, boring hockey for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to have an explosive star forward. Tavares brings this dormant franchise back to life. He gives them some buzz. He will turn out fans. He will give the team an identity. He will add immediate punch to a team whose leading point scorer is a defensemen and whose leading goal scorer is almost being doubled up in goals by Mike Green.

Certainly, Hedman is the sort of player every club can use. But he isn't going to generate an instant groundswell. If the Isles have to part with one of their next two picks (either the SJS pick or the 31st overall) to convince Tampa to bump down, then so be it. You cannot be a penny pincher about a franchise-defining player. Especially when you have extra picks to play with.

I'm sure an Isles fan or two will take some sort of offense by what I'm saying, but as a fan of a team who looked a little like the Isles a few years ago until we were rescued by one of these franchise-defining players, I'm telling you, you can't put a price on it. I'm really rooting for this team to get the #1 pick and keep it simple. But if they don't get it, I hope they do what it takes to land Tavares anyway. It's a perfect fit.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:03 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I honestly think that Isles fans have endured such mediocre, boring hockey for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to have an explosive star forward. Tavares brings this dormant franchise back to life. He gives them some buzz. He will turn out fans. He will give the team an identity. He will add immediate punch to a team whose leading point scorer is a defensemen and whose leading goal scorer is almost being doubled up in goals by Mike Green.

Certainly, Hedman is the sort of player every club can use. But he isn't going to generate an instant groundswell. If the Isles have to part with one of their next two picks (either the SJS pick or the 31st overall) to convince Tampa to bump down, then so be it. You cannot be a penny pincher about a franchise-defining player. Especially when you have extra picks to play with.

I'm sure an Isles fan or two will take some sort of offense by what I'm saying, but as a fan of a team who looked a little like the Isles a few years ago until we were rescued by one of these franchise-defining players, I'm telling you, you can't put a price on it. I'm really rooting for this team to get the #1 pick and keep it simple. But if they don't get it, I hope they do what it takes to land Tavares anyway. It's a perfect fit.
Well said.

I doubt its an option but from what i've seen from Islander fans there seems to be a serious underestimation of what moving up that 1 spot would require.

Old
04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Well said.

I doubt its an option but from what i've seen from Islander fans there seems to be a serious underestimation of what moving up that 1 spot would require.
Well, I think the price is going to be dramatically higher if any team other than Tampa gets the spot. Everyone knows Tampa is leaning Hedman. They're not going to be able to draw the same price tag from a team sitting at #2 looking to assure a shot at Tavares. If, say, the Kings ended up with the #1, I'm not sure the Islanders have enough assets to pony up what it would take to move the Kings out of that position.

For the Isles in a situation where Tampa is #1, you're using a draft pick as insurance that the dopey front office doesn't do something goofy and trade the #1 pick for a few more of the leftovers of the 2005 Capitals. I hear Zubrus and Sutherby are available.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:21 AM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

I agree, and it seems some people don't understand this. If the Isles have the first pick they very well may pick Hedman, since they need quality prospects at both ends of the ice.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Todds Chiropractory

Trade Vinny draft Tavares

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:29 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Well, I think the price is going to be dramatically higher if any team other than Tampa gets the spot. Everyone knows Tampa is leaning Hedman. They're not going to be able to draw the same price tag from a team sitting at #2 looking to assure a shot at Tavares. If, say, the Kings ended up with the #1, I'm not sure the Islanders have enough assets to pony up what it would take to move the Kings out of that position.

For the Isles in a situation where Tampa is #1, you're using a draft pick as insurance that the dopey front office doesn't do something goofy and trade the #1 pick for a few more of the leftovers of the 2005 Capitals. I hear Zubrus and Sutherby are available.
I agree that if the team drafting 1st does for whatever reason decide they can pass on Tavares that Tampa would be the least expensive. Still, even though it may not be a big deal for Tampa to live without Tavares and deal the pick they'll still be well aware of the importance acquiring him has to the other team and will squeeze hard. They'd have all the leverage and the worst case scenario for them is having their ransom demands rejected and having to draft Tavares.