HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If TB Wins the Lottery

Old
04-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
The team doesn't need just "buzz," or "excitement." They need to build a consistent winner. They don't need to be Atlanta v2.0.

Trading multiple picks for a one spot upgrade doesn't make sense, especially when it's not like they are stacked on offensive prospects and lack defensive ones, or vice versa.

I could understand if they dropped down to like pick 5 or something, but 2? I understand like a late first round pick has a pretty small chance to becoming a NHL player, but it's not like Hedman is a significantly less of a prospect.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:49 AM
wayne98

i agree, tb is going to trade vinny, and draft tavares if they have the #1 pick

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:54 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

If they finish in the bottom two, perhaps, if all the garbage concerning Lecavalier is actually being mulled over, they try to deal Lecavalier for the other pick and take both.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Soundwave

You trade Lecavalier and get good complimentary wingers + d-men to build around Stamkos + Tavares.

I would even consider moving St. Louis as well.

You don't want to get in a situation like Pittsburgh where you have 2 great centers but are struggling to find wingers for them.

I would move Lecavalier + St. Louis to the L.A. Kings for say Dustin Brown, Frolov, and one of their young D.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:09 AM
peanutvendor

i think its tough.

isles need someone to be the franchise player with dipietro not working out. tavares would fill that moreso than hedman, as forwards are easier to sell.

however, if they had the interest of building the strongest club, hedman would be the better option becuase 1. a star defenseman makes a bigger impact imo and 2. specualtion is hedman will take longer to develop to the nhl/NA game.

#2 means that drafting hedman and giving him a year in NA juniors to adjust or even in the nhl would translate to another top 3-5 pick minimum next year, giving them a lower "low" but a higher "high" on the bell curve the majority of teams seem to follow in the post lockout nhl.

being a fan of tampa, i think if they make the top 2 they pick whoever is available of tavares/hedman, but their standing equates to having to go with whoever of duchene/msp/kane/cowen they rank after the top 2. probably duchene

if it comes down to taking tavares and trading lecavalier to fill gaps at the draft, i think tb and montreal are bad trading partners except for the fact that montreal would possibly pay more than any other team in terms of assets. ideally lecavalier would go for a stud young defenseman+ should it come down to that. i had more but im drunk and forgot where this was going maybe i will edit it later. but thats the general idea i had i think.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:21 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post

i had more but im drunk and forgot where this was going maybe i will edit it later. but thats the general idea i had i think.
Seth MacFarlane?

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Okay, before you hang me, I have read the other threads similar to this, and I don't think they address my point specifically.

If TB wins the draft lottery, giving them No. 1 overall and (assuming) the Islanders land No. 2, I would say that it makes more sense for TB to draft Hedman because of their center situation of Lecavalier and Stamkos.

Therefore, since I believe that Tavares will go No. 1 overall, and Islanders would kill to have him, do you think TB would swap 1st rounders with the Isles? This way TB still gets Hedman, and they get whatever else the Isles are willing to part with. Even if it's just a 5th rounder, better than nothing.

Or, do you think the Isles would just settle for the No. 2 and risk taking Hedman (which is still not a bad pick at all) ?
TB would draft Tavares, and trade Vinnie ...this way, getting alot better (players from VL trade), and save $$ at the same time.
...and have the 2nd best young 2 centers in the league

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Or, do you think the Isles would just settle for the No. 2 and risk taking Hedman (which is still not a bad pick at all) ?
It would be this option. There is no indication that the Isles would "kill" for Tavares. Hearsay (from Bowman to the announcers during TSN intermissions) even has the Isles leaning towards Hedman - of which there is no indication from any Islander officials.

Nor should there be if they play their cards right.

TB will have to think long and hard in this scenario, because unfortunately, the Islanders would be the one team that'd be completely satisified with either player.

If Colorado picks 2nd, TB may have a trading option.

Still, whoever picks 1st should and likely will at least ask the teams picking 2nd/3rd how much they'd want that #1 overall.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

While I would normally consider placing one's trust in kids to do the heavy lifting (at the expense of quality star veterans) to be ludicrous, there may be something to the rampant rumor all year that the Canadiens will do just about anything to land Vincent Lecavalier, interminable contract or not, off-year or not.

The window within which you can trade Lecavalier without his having a veto closes this summer.

If the Lightning won the lottery, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the team draft Tavares, and trade Lecavalier to Montreal for a quality package centered on Andrei Markov.

The Lightning would need to add a veteran center or two in free agency for a short term to spot the kids, but a future with Tavares and Stamkos down the middle would be the option I would find rather tempting. That you might also get an anchor for the defense in Markov is enough to make parting with Lecavalier worthwhile.

Seems to me that there is enough separation now that Tavares and Hedman are no longer regarded as 1a and 1b.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The team doesn't need just "buzz," or "excitement." They need to build a consistent winner. They don't need to be Atlanta v2.0.

I understand like a late first round pick has a pretty small chance to becoming a NHL player, but it's not like Hedman is a significantly less of a prospect.

Thank you.

One appreciates the concern that a few fans and reporters (who clearly wish to become marketers in their next lives ) have about putting "fannies in the seats" on Long Island.

It is a legitimate point.

But given disproportionate importance with regard to this pick. And that's being kind.

If NYI simply wants "celebrity" they will draft Britney Spears #1. That will fill the building. The "wow" factor of Tavares or whomever will be old news by Christmas if the team stinks.

No, the Isles will pick the best player on the board when their time comes up. The player who the believe will help them win. Period. Regardless of whther he is a glamourus "personality" or a boorish mute.

What matters is what takes place on the ice. SUBSTANCE, not style.

"Scoreboard" will pack the Coliseum.

As an NYI fan, I'm looking forward to that day in June when they land Tavares or Hedman (or Duchene). There is no downside, no melodrama, whatsoever to whether they end up picking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-03-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
MisterT

According to the Toronto's Fan 590's Primetime Sports on Wednesday night, the Islanders are leaning towards Hedman to fill their biggest need at the moment regardless of what prospect creates the most media "buzz". They see him as a Chris Pronger type that will have the impact of a #1 dman for more than a decade. I believe the conversion was between Bob McCowen, Jim Kelley and Nik Kyprios but will try to check later today.

The darkhorse bet they mentioned is that Burke tries to make a huge impact deal on draft day and will try to pursuade which ever team is picking #1 or #2 to deal that for the Leafs pick and one of Kubina or Kaberle. Burke has a history of making grandious trades at his first draft with a new organization.

My humble opinion is that if TB wins the lottery, it will be Tavares and they will recoup allot of assets when Vinnie is moved out later that day either to Montreal, Philadelphia or the Rangers. Hedman will then go #2 to whoever has that pick.

But that and $2, will get you an overpriced cup of coffee.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
fallout

Quote:
Okay, before you hang me, I have read the other threads similar to this, and I don't think they address my point specifically.

If TB wins the draft lottery, giving them No. 1 overall and (assuming) the Islanders land No. 2, I would say that it makes more sense for TB to draft Hedman because of their center situation of Lecavalier and Stamkos.

Therefore, since I believe that Tavares will go No. 1 overall, and Islanders would kill to have him, do you think TB would swap 1st rounders with the Isles? This way TB still gets Hedman, and they get whatever else the Isles are willing to part with. Even if it's just a 5th rounder, better than nothing.

to TB
1st09
5th09

fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I honestly think that Isles fans have endured such mediocre, boring hockey for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to have an explosive star forward. Tavares brings this dormant franchise back to life. He gives them some buzz. He will turn out fans. He will give the team an identity. He will add immediate punch to a team whose leading point scorer is a defensemen and whose leading goal scorer is almost being doubled up in goals by Mike Green.
If the isles think Tavares is a clear notch above Hedman,then they should kick the tires and see what it'd cost to move up.But if Hedman is the prospect they think will be the better pick longterm,then they ought to hope he's still available when they pick.

Oh and the Isles have a kid many of their fans and their front office think is on his way to becoming a big star.His name's Okposo He's a rookie,so we'll give him a pass for being outscored 30 goals to 18 goals

Quote:
Certainly, Hedman is the sort of player every club can use. But he isn't going to generate an instant groundswell.
Creating an instant groundswell?and I thought building a serious cup contender was the objective

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Soundwave

It isn't just a marketing thing.

Tavares has also been compared a lot to Mike Bossy, who just happened to play for a certain franchise.

If they take Hedman at no.1, I would be surprised.

It should be noted too that St. Louis never won a damn thing with Pronger even when he was winning the Norris trophy. It wasn't until he was into his 30s that he started to dominate in the playoffs.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
According to the Toronto's Fan 590's Primetime Sports on Wednesday night, the Islanders are leaning towards Hedman to fill their biggest need at the moment regardless of what prospect creates the most media "buzz". They see him as a Chris Pronger type that will have the impact of a #1 dman for more than a decade. I believe the conversion was between Bob McCowen, Jim Kelley and Nik Kyprios but will try to check later today.

The darkhorse bet they mentioned is that Burke tries to make a huge impact deal on draft day and will try to pursuade which ever team is picking #1 or #2 to deal that for the Leafs pick and one of Kubina or Kaberle. Burke has a history of making grandious trades at his first draft with a new organization.

My humble opinion is that if TB wins the lottery, it will be Tavares and they will recoup allot of assets when Vinnie is moved out later that day either to Montreal, Philadelphia or the Rangers. Hedman will then go #2 to whoever has that pick.

But that and $2, will get you an overpriced cup of coffee.

I listened to the Leafs post game radio show,after a recent NYI/Toronto game.A leaf fan called in,asking if Burke was going to trade for the 1st overall pick.

The Leaf announcer told the caller he thought Burke would move up,but he doubted he could get the #1.I think the Leafs chances of getting the #1 would be a lot higher if TB or Col. are holding that pick.The rebuilding nyi would not pass up a chance at Hedman/Tavares for Kubina+ or Kaberle+.

Old
04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Default101

IF TB wins and NYI finishes 2nd i think you'll see a swap of a pick or prospect to TB and swapping 1st for 2nd overall so the Islanders can ensure they get Tavares. Otherwise if say TB goes first Colorado is second you'll see them take Hedman first overall. Either way Tavares to Tampa makes no sense unless they turn around and trade him for a potential franchise defenceman.. THe only realistic scenario's that exist there would be St. Louis dealing Alex Pietrangelo to Tampa with more coming to the Lightning, or Zach Bogosian going to Tampa with extra going to the Lightning. Those would be the only available prospects worth dealing to Tampa, with the assumption that Toronto won't move Luke Schenn and Los Angeles wouldn't move Drew Doughty.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
AvsGuy

I'm pretty sure the Islanders will take either Marian Gaborik or Dany Heatley 1st overall. No way they're goin with that DiPietro guy.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
I'm pretty sure the Islanders will take either Marian Gaborik or Dany Heatley 1st overall. No way they're goin with that DiPietro guy.
Was Snow the gm when those moves were made?

I coulda sworn those were Milbury moves

Old
04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It should be noted too that St. Louis never won a damn thing with Pronger even when he was winning the Norris trophy. It wasn't until he was into his 30s that he started to dominate in the playoffs.
When he switched to the steel elbow pads...

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

what if toronto falls to the bottom 5 and gets JT, or even poenix or colorado., its called lottory drafdt everyone auotmatically thinks ohh islanders= worst= JT at #1

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
what if toronto falls to the bottom 5 and gets JT, or even poenix or colorado., its called lottory drafdt everyone auotmatically thinks ohh islanders= worst= JT at #1
Not really. I think people are fairly certain and rightfully so that the Isles will finish 30th overall and have the best chance of getting the 1st pick. Should they fail to secure that 1st pick via the lottery they are gauranteed the 2nd pick as teams can only drop 1 spot. So of all 30 teams the only 1 that is currently guaranteed a top 2 pick is the Islanders. Its further assumed that Tampa would be fine with Hedman over Tavares so that only leaves the team picking 2nd as an attractive option to trade the 1st. That team would have to be the NYI barring a rise in the regular season overall standings which is highly unlikely.

Old
04-04-2009, 10:27 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I have won the NHL Draft lottery 2 times straight, I am not giving away my secret, I will for 2 Million but so far I see it, it will be like this

1. Colorado
2. Tampa Bay
3. NYI
4. Los Angeles (They'll oviously draft a Forward)
5. Atlanta

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Not really. I think people are fairly certain and rightfully so that the Isles will finish 30th overall and have the best chance of getting the 1st pick. Should they fail to secure that 1st pick via the lottery they are gauranteed the 2nd pick as teams can only drop 1 spot. So of all 30 teams the only 1 that is currently guaranteed a top 2 pick is the Islanders. Its further assumed that Tampa would be fine with Hedman over Tavares so that only leaves the team picking 2nd as an attractive option to trade the 1st. That team would have to be the NYI barring a rise in the regular season overall standings which is highly unlikely.
You might want to check on that again because I don't think that's 100% true.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:22 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
You might want to check on that again because I don't think that's 100% true.
No, its good.

Old
04-04-2009, 11:38 PM
HSF

NYI will take Hedman first overall or 2nd overall

i think Hedman is NYI's man

Tampa probbaly wants Hedman too, but i dont think they would cry if they landed JT and vice versa

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote