HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thomas signs 4-Year/$20M Deal with B's; Implications on Flyers' Off-Season

Old
04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Thomas signs 4-Year/$20M Deal with B's; Implications on Flyers' Off-Season

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._inks_new.html

Quote:
Tim Thomas, in net for Boston's 50th win of the season last night, yesterday agreed to a multi-year contract that will keep him with the Bruins for at least three more seasons.

While numbers haven't been announced, a front-office member of an NHL team told the Globe's Fluto Shinzawa that Thomas signed a four-year, $20 million extension. Thomas will make $6 million in 2009-10 and 2010-11, $5 million in 2011-12, and $3 million in 2012-13, the source said.

The deal for the 34-year-old backstop is in the salary range of the $5.2 million per year earned by New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, age 36, who last month became the game's all-time winningest goalie.
Will it now be easier for the Flyers to re-sign Marty/Nitty or lure another free agent goaltender?

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 04-03-2009 at 03:00 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Well, it narrows the market for "starting goalies" that will be out there this summer, but I also don't think you'll see Marty getting more than Thomas.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
chaosof99*

The only implication this has is that we won't get Thomas...
If Marty or his agent actually thinks they could get such a contract they are nuts and need to learn how to compare numbers.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Probably sets Marty's ceiling around 4.5

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Am I really going to be the first one to bring up Rask?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Am I really going to be the first one to bring up Rask?
...meaning you think he's available?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
They're not trading Rask. Yet. Don't think they will any time soon.

The market on goalies has always been going up. Just like it has always been going up for defenseman.

Unless things change (Lupul traded...basically), the Flyers should not sign a single UFA forward in my opinion, unless we're talking UFA college players or something. They should be solely focused on signing Biron and improving the defense.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

The market on goalies has always been going up. Just like it has always been going up for defenseman.

Unless things change (Lupul traded...basically), the Flyers should not sign a single UFA forward in my opinion, unless we're talking UFA college players or something. They should be solely focused on signing Biron and improving the defense.
I agree with that GKJ about just worrying about Biron and the defense, I keep explaining that Lupul isn't the Flyers only option to move out. Carle is better than Sbisa now, but do we think we can spend Carle's money on Knuble plus a solid stay at home defenseman on the 3rd line? I also feel fairly safer with next year's Sbisa or next year's Jones. There's other options out there as well. Maybe Marshall, Ratchuk, and Bodrov? I think we're going to see Biron back, Knuble back, and some upheaval on the blueline.

People want Lupul gone, but I'd rather he get about a $2m raise and sure us another 20g/50p forward than keep hold of Jones' ridiculous money for uselessness.

If people think that Rask is available you're welcome to try and get him. The biggest question is with a tight cap and Kessel along with Krecji needing new deals (likely at least $5.00m each. see Carter's contract last season) who will be their back up goalie? They've re-signed Thomas and can't afford Anderson. Rask may be a little expensive for their team and because of this may spend another season in the minors.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
...meaning you think he's available?
Not yet. But I don't see how he sits there any longer than his ELC goes (next year).

Quote:

Pretty much what I'm thinking. I really, really want to see all of Lupul, Jones, and Carle gone, with Biron re-signed, and go from there.

At that point bring up Sbisa, re-sign Alberts and Knuble, and find a sixth defensemen (do we already have our backup in Backlund, or was that just for ***** and giggles?)

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 04-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
People want Lupul gone, but I'd rather he get about a $2m raise and sure us another 20g/50p forward than keep hold of Jones' ridiculous money for uselessness.
For what they do I'd keep Jones over Lupul, even if positionally his contract is worse. Regardless, it's still (a lot) cheaper, and that's what's important. We've got more than enough forwards.

Old
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
twenty2

Quote:
For what they do I'd keep Jones over Lupul, even if positionally his contract is worse. Regardless, it's still (a lot) cheaper, and that's what's important. We've got more than enough forwards.
Who would we replace Lupul with? 50 point forwards don't just fall out of the sky. If we replace Lupul we'd in essence want to upgrade our defense anyway. Lupul's $4.2m next season would directly go into defense. So we then have no room for Jones and Carle because we get Sbisa and whoever we go ahead and sign to bolster our defense.

Basically then we have cleared up $6m or so getting rid of defense in order to add defense, and Lupul's salary is gone. Then of course we add Sbisa, and have nearly $5m to spend on another defenseman or wherever we want. So why get rid of Lupul to free up money for defense when we basically already did that when we bolstered our defense? It makes no sense logically at all.

Let's say we got rid of Lupul's $4.2m. Then we upgraded our defense by dropping 2 of Carle, Alberts, and Jones. We add Sbisa and sign another defenseman. Then we have all this money left over from Lupul's $4.2m. What do we use all that money on? Another young 20g/50p forward with solid potential to get better? Good luck finding one of those on the free agent market for $4.2m.

Old
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Opus

Quote:
Not yet. But I don't see how he sits there any longer than his ELC goes (next year).
Not a chance the Bruins trade Rask, IMO.

I think he stays in the AHL next season, and the season after you see him in Boston being primed to take over the reigns.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:

Pretty much what I'm thinking. I really, really want to see all of Lupul, Jones, and Carle gone, with Biron re-signed, and go from there.

At that point bring up Sbisa, re-sign Alberts and Knuble, and find a sixth defensemen (do we already have our backup in Backlund, or was that just for ***** and giggles?)
They need to decide whether or not Munroe is that guy. They signed Aubin to be the 3rd goalie, and did not have to use him in a game thus far. Munroe's hung around long enough that they should have an answer, and either give him a shot, or let him move on (unless he's comfortable being the next Neil Little)

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Thomas is really good. I think he's worth that money.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
They need to decide whether or not Munroe is that guy. They signed Aubin to be the 3rd goalie, and did not have to use him in a game thus far. Munroe's hung around long enough that they should have an answer, and either give him a shot, or let him move on (unless he's comfortable being the next Neil Little)
Gonna be at the game tonight GJK?
Ive seen Munroe play a few times and I dont think that he is really NHL capable back up. He does play well in the AHL though.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
IrishSniper87

I would LOVE Timmy Thomas here.

This blows. I know we had no shot at him. Oh well. I see the Bruins dumping Manny though. Make Rask the back-up and work him in.

The Flyers can MOST CERTAINLY replace Lupul's productions with Giroux. The Flyers need to dump Jones and Lupul IMHO and do SOMETHING about goalie.

I'd rather have Alberts and Sbisa then Jones on this team. He sucks and is overpaid. We can get similar production cheaper. I like Carle and he is younger. He has really improved of late. I would like to keep him around another year.

If we can, re-up Knuble another year unless they expect JVR to be ready. I say replace Lupul with JVR ASAP.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
dawkins121

Can't really say I wasn't expecting this. I think overall this is ok for the Flyers because on the open market I think someone would have given Thomas 6 per year and with this deal he's making 5. I don't see how Biron can really ask for much more than 4 per year and with Thomas and Backstrom signed he really is our best option.

Also with Fernandez being a UFA after this season I'm guessing Boston is going to bring up Rask as a backup next year so I doubt he'll be available.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

I hope for Bruins sake that Thomas doesn't turn into Osgood next season . Let's not forget that last year Osgood was awesome , just like Thomas is this year .

About the position the Flyers are in , well what about a guy like Craig Anderson . He's still a young goalie (he will be 28 in may) and he's got already over 100 NHL games under his belt and his overall career numbers are very good .911 SV % with a 2.87 GAA . Not to mention that he has great size 6'2 and has been improving every year starting in more and more games.

I see great potential in him and with the kind of season he has put , I can see him testing the free agency and signing where the opportunity of being the number 1 goaltender shows up .

If not , Biron made a case for himself in March.

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:50 PM
twenty2

I think I'd rather pay Biron $4.5m than Fernandez $4.5m.

Old
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Really, this franchise doesn't need much. I don't think they need to go cut happy and rid themselves of a bunch of people. However, and as much as people may hate hearing this, it's time to start getting rid of guys like Knuble and start working in younger players. It's clear that JVR and Giroux are going to be given every opportunity to start with the big club. So, if that's going to be the case, then I think we'll probably see something like Gagne - Giroux - Fartnell; JVR - Carter - Briere; Nodl - Richards - Lupul; Asham - Powe - waste of space named Cote. That's a line up I can live with.

As for the defense, letting Alberts walk, trading Jones and bringing back Sbisa means that there are five d consisting of Kimmo, Coburn, Carle, Parent, Sbisa. That leaves room for a guy like Bodrov (Entry Level Contract) and the ability to add a veteran 7th guy (maybe get Alberts on the cheap).

With regards to the goaltending position, there really isn't much out there. I'd rather stick with the devil we know in Biron than go out and get a guy like Khabibulin (who's going to be old), or trading for some one who might develop into a good goalie (Cory Schneider, Tukka Rask, Al Montoya, etc....). Really, Holmgren and company really need to get serious about finding a goalie for the long term and start developing him properly. That's one thing about this franchise that really needs to be addressed - the inability to develop a goaltender.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
mongoose7385*

well I think we might take a look at Scott Clemenson from the Devils. He did a great job filling in for MB, and then the Devils threw him back to the AHL like some kind of trash and kept Weekes instead. But oh well as they say "another persons trash is somebodies treasure". I think he is worth a look, and I believe he is a UFA at seasons end.

mongoose7385* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Who would we replace Lupul with? 50 point forwards don't just fall out of the sky. If we replace Lupul we'd in essence want to upgrade our defense anyway. Lupul's $4.2m next season would directly go into defense. So we then have no room for Jones and Carle because we get Sbisa and whoever we go ahead and sign to bolster our defense.

Basically then we have cleared up $6m or so getting rid of defense in order to add defense, and Lupul's salary is gone. Then of course we add Sbisa, and have nearly $5m to spend on another defenseman or wherever we want. So why get rid of Lupul to free up money for defense when we basically already did that when we bolstered our defense? It makes no sense logically at all.

Let's say we got rid of Lupul's $4.2m. Then we upgraded our defense by dropping 2 of Carle, Alberts, and Jones. We add Sbisa and sign another defenseman. Then we have all this money left over from Lupul's $4.2m. What do we use all that money on? Another young 20g/50p forward with solid potential to get better? Good luck finding one of those on the free agent market for $4.2m.
Dude, bottom line is we've got too many forwards. Giroux (and potentially JvR) will easily replace his production at a more consistent rate and for no more than about a quarter of the cost. Lupul does absolutely nothing special for this team. And are you seriously concerned over having cap room (while still putting an incredibly talented team on the ice, no less)? Come on.

Old
04-03-2009, 10:03 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hopefully this calms down Biron's demands

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 12:01 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Not a chance the Bruins trade Rask, IMO.

I think he stays in the AHL next season, and the season after you see him in Boston being primed to take over the reigns.
I think Rask is backing up Thomas next season. No way they bring back Fernandez. They have Kessel and Lucic who are both RFA's after this season.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hopefully this calms down Biron's demands
I don't see any way Marty can get equal to or more than Thomas.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote