HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Upshall

Old
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
But he still could have been put on retroactively. If they would have done that on Day 6 and he was ready on Day 8, he could have been activated.
Which even if your cap understanding had been correct, would not have helped the team Days 1-6. The problem was when you had an injury and needed to call someone up for the next game or two. Not if someone was going to be out long-term.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Doubt he was brought in to get points. It's not like Upshall got many. If I'm not mistaken, Carcillo's playing 10 1/2 minutes. That's replacing Upshall in my books. When Carcillo starts playing 3 to 4 minutes a game I'll change my tune.
Now on to something Jester and I agree on.

Carcillo wasn't put on a line with Richards, and at first with Briere, to not score points.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Which even if your cap understanding had been correct, would not have helped the team Days 1-6. The problem was when you had an injury and needed to call someone up for the next game or two. Not if someone was going to be out long-term.
The issue was only the one game vs the Devils, because Briere was still on LTIR before that.

Old
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Joey Mac

upshall has played well for phoenix, but he's also getting a lot of minutes which he wasn't gonna get here... i'd rather have giroux stay in the lineup than have upshall, don't get me wrong upshall is one of my favs, but giroux is better

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Now on to something Jester and I agree on.

Carcillo wasn't put on a line with Richards, and at first with Briere, to not score points.

You see the way our lines are set up for God's sake. There's always a mucker to dig pucks free and work low. What do you think Carcillo's role on that line was? Points were going to be a bonus with Carcillo. He hits and fights and does the dirty work that Briere CAN'T DO. Your knowledge of our lines and their roles doesn't seem any sharper than your knowledge of LTIR.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You see the way our lines are set up for God's sake. There's always a mucker to dig pucks free and work low. What do you think Carcillo's role on that line was? Points were going to be a bonus with Carcillo. He hits and fights and does the dirty work that Briere CAN'T DO. Your knowledge of our lines and their roles doesn't seem any sharper than your knowledge of LTIR.
Briere going into the tough areas and coming out with the puck was one of the reasons he was so valuable to Buffalo, and one of the reasons we signed him.

Carcillo dug out so many pucks, that Richards went on his first 4-game pointless streak in over 2 years.

And your knowledge of the argument isn't very sharp, as it wasn't LTIR we were arguing about...it was 7-day IR. I know some people like to nail me when I'm wrong, but at least nail me when your facts are right about the argument (let alone the topic itself).

Old
04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
And he did such a bang up job that they dropped him to the 4th line and pulled Asham up to do that job.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Remember when Upshall put up some serious points for us when he came over from Nashville? 13 points in 18 games, or something along those lines.

With PHX, he has 10 in 15.

Scottie Upshall gets a little jacked up when he gets traded. Good for him.

I'm looking for consistent offense from a guy who was a former first round pick, frankly. You know what I see? 30 points last season, 46 points in AHL was his highest professional point total in a season.

Great guy, nice little player, great energy. Him and Carcillo are a wash as far as I'm concerned. He'll level off next year even with the improved ice time and power play time he is receiving. I figure if we needed him as a top 6, we would have used him there. Hartnell, Carter, Gagne, Richards, Knuble, Lupul, and now Giroux are proving why Scottie is not a top 6 player.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your kidding right? I hope we have atleast one taker on him...
and the winner is... of course I was kidding...

almost everybody forget that Flyers are in cap trouble because of 2 trades - Carle and Alberts, that were panic moves by Holmgren after injuries to Jones and Parent, "thanks" to Briere they have time to solve that problem and only manage to waive Metro and Vannanen and replace Upshall with Carcillo,

Upshall is playing around 20min with PP for PHX, for Flyers was playing around 11min and almost everbody here agree that he can play so more points should not be a suprise

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And he did such a bang up job that they dropped him to the 4th line and pulled Asham up to do that job.

Just checking ice time and WOW....Carcillo's ice time is right there with Lupul and Hartnell. Send me to the 4th line anytime Coach Stevens!!

Old
04-03-2009, 07:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Just checking ice time and WOW....Carcillo's ice time is right there with Lupul and Hartnell. Send me to the 4th line anytime Coach Stevens!!
We were winning 6-0?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

As a Coyote fan, I'm thrilled with the Upshall for Carcillo swap, but it's the 2nd round pick quite frankly which puzzles me from the Flyers perspective. The Coyotes had already dumped a fair amount of salary in the Jokinen deal, and the additional salary they took in the flyers deal, especially when pro-rated, was pretty minimal. It's not like the Coyotes took $1M in salary in the deal, but they got paid as if they took $1M in salary.

I understand that as minimal as it was to the Flyers in real terms, in relative terms it was very valuable, but I still shake my head because of the relative value of Upshall for the Coyotes.

They traded Carcillo, who while a fan-favorite, also created problems on the ice for his own team, and with the same top 6 six time & power play time which has since been given to Upshall, provided nothing offensively. Even though Upshall wasn't lighting it up offensively it seems as if Holmgren somehow thought Carcillo was as good a player as Upshall.

I think the Flyer fans who raise the point that Upshall wasn't going to produce in Philly like he is in Phoenix anytime in the foreseeable future are spot on. Given their top six talent, there really wasn't room for Upshall to score significant points.

I think this points out the first mistake the Flyers may have made....the Briere contract. Nothing wrong with Briere, but it seems like Flyer mgmt didn't take into consideration what they had in the pipeline when they signed him to what quite frankly was a fiscally irresponsible contract (aka a Ranger contract). Just maybe they should have realized Upshall or someone else in their system might be able to produce offensively at a higher rate per dollar than Briere. Just maybe 40 points from Upshall at $1.5M or whatever is wiser than 80 pts at $8M per season. Especially when you have other forwards like Richards, Carter, Knuble, Gagne etc who are going to put up points. I don't know maybe they thought Briere would assure them a Stanley Cup birth. I hope not, because no one can do that for a team.

back to the trade.....If I was a flyer fan complaining about this trade it wouldn't be the Upshall for Carcillo swap I was pissed about, sad yes, but not pissed. I'd be pissed because we threw away a 2nd round pick in the deal. Isn't giving away the better player enough compensation for the cap wiggle room (from a team that had already cut salary)? Some will say, 2nd rounders only end up being NHL players 10% of the time.....well from a Flyers perspective I wouldn't be pissed because we gave up something that has a 10% chance of being an NHL player, I'd be pissed because I got bent over and then screwed.....its more the principle than anything.

As a Coyote fan the 2nd round pick is great because Upshall will be a huge improvement over Carcillo who was expected to be part of the Coyote future, and the pick could snag another great prospect or could be used along with another pick to move up into another first round pick. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We were winning 6-0?

So? he's played over 11 minutes a night pretty much every night. In comparison....he played 2 minutes more than Powe tonight and he finished pretty close to Lupul. The game started 0-0 and his ice time was consistent throughout. I'm still waiting for you to point something out that I don't already know. Why don't you just admit that Carcillo has been pretty decent at doing what he's paid to do?? We don't need scoring from him, just a physical presence and he's doing that just fine.

Old
04-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Oh, word?
yet no one mentions it....it's always about Upshall & Carcillo....that piece of the deal is at least understandeable.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
yet no one mentions it....it's always about Upshall & Carcillo....that piece of the deal is at least understandeable.
Mentions what?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post

Many have mentioned it many times.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
it still amaze me, people writes that Jones is overpaid, can't shoot, can't pass, can't skate, etc., on the other hand they keep saying trade him... I bet every other GM in the league can't wait for chance to trade him, probably Flyers don't trade him on the trade deadline just because they have too many lucrative offers...
That is the idea that has been raised here numerous times and the Randy Haters never address it. They actually believe this conversation should have occurred in February:
Paul Holmgren: "I have an overpaid defenseman here who falls down a lot and is prone to blind passes, blocked shots, and brain farts. I would like to trade him for a better, but cheaper, defenseman."

Some Other General Manager: "Well, I just happen to have a better and cheaper defenseman on my roster! Let's do it!"
Stretching dumb beyond where dumb has ever gone before.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Opus

Please play nicely, or we'll have to shut this thread down.

Debating topics is of course fine, no need to attack other posters.

Those of you that don't like the thread topic, or it's contents...you may simply avoid the thread.

Cheers

Last edited by Opus: 04-04-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old
04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I think we got fleeced on this deal. I wish I was wrong. But after watching tonights game now I know why the great one made this deal. He had to be laughing all the way to the bank. Homer has done a really good job but he missed on this one. DC cost us a point tonight. Upshall and a 2nd for this just does not cut it. I am done talking about it

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I think we got fleeced on this deal. I wish I was wrong. But after watching tonights game now I know why the great one made this deal. He had to be laughing all the way to the bank. Homer has done a really good job but he missed on this one. DC cost us a point tonight. Upshall and a 2nd for this just does not cut it. I am done talking about it
I'd say Carter cost us tonights game more than Carcillo.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Carcillo has played his way off the team, in my view.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would love to hear from the people who were saying how much better offensivly Carcillo is than Upshall.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I feel bad that Danny can't sneeze on-ice without receiving a game misconduct.

In a game last month he was clearly tripped, and fell to the ice as a result. He was promptly called for a dive - a call that wouldn't have been made if he was any other player.

There's "Driving while black", and now there's "Skating while being Carcillo". Ho hum.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
For that Dive, they called the trip and the dive.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I have zero tolerance for stupid players. What he did is the worst thing you can do to get a penalty. Yapping at the ref and getting kicked out of the game. I have never seen that from anyone here. According to some Coyotes fans I've been speaking too, it happens on a somewhat consistent basis with him. I have no time for those types of players. I do not like stupid players. I do not like selfish players. I HATE players who are BOTH. What he did was stupid and selfish. You can't win Stanley Cups with guys like that. God forbid if this would have been a playoff game, or a game that meant more in the standings. It's a far cry from sneezing. At least when Downie and Gauthier got penalties, it was during the context of the game. This happened during a commercial break when he was skating to bench. I'm sure when Holmgren chewed the team out, Carcillo heard it, and apparently was not listening.