HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangesr Sign Corey Cowick - Amateur Contract

Old
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
TheDave1022

vCash: 500
Rangesr Sign Corey Cowick - Amateur Contract

Heading to the Wolf Pack

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...659/story.html
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...90776-sun.html

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well there's a free prospect. His numbers for the OHL are alright, certainly not as good as Couture's or Grachev's say, but anything free is OK by me.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Bell, Crowder, Cowick - think this team is looking for size on the cheap?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well there's a free prospect. His numbers for the OHL are alright, certainly not as good as Couture's or Grachev's say, but anything free is OK by me.
He's not a prospect yet. He's only signed a try-out deal.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Wouldn't get too excited. the Pens gave him this same shot last summer and he didn't do much. Says the Sens and Leafs were also interested in him.. two teams in need of good forwards, and they didn't even him give him a contract.
http://www.ottawa67s.com/display_new...news=241&nt=na

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
allrevvedup25

but he doesn't belong to the Rangers or Hartford because he is still eligible for this years draft

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The kid goes 6'2", 195. Recorded 34 goals and 26 assists in 68 games, to go along with 48 PIM and a +21. He was also an All Star this season.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=4610

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Hossa

I watched Cowick a fair bit this year for the 67s. I will be interested to see how he does in Hartford.

There are many things to like about Cowick's, but I am at this point unsure of what his potential is. As the articles suggest, he blossomed this year after a trade from Oshawa, and briefly led the OHL in goals around December. I wouldn't say he has scoring line potential in the NHL though. While he is a decent finisher, he isn't a particularly creative player and lacks any major offensive asset. He played very well on a line with Couture and St. Louis pick Anthony Nigro, but Couture really made the line go. The line revolved around Couture's playmaking, distribution and puck control skills. The three would cycle very well, but try to work it to Logan and either Nigro or Cowick would get open. Also, his scoring pace declined once Nigro was added to the line because Nigro was a bit quicker and has a better shot.

He does have some good tools that could allow him to be a grinder. He played largely on the first penalty killing pairing with Couture this year and performed well there. His defensive game is not exceptional like Couture's, who has as good defensive awareness as any OHL forward I've seen in years, but Cowick is responsible and a hard worker. I would rate his skating as good for a player his size, and every now and then he can get going, but he's no burner. His stride is not particularly powerful but he moves fairly lightly for a guy his size. More upper body strength would help him as well, as would more of a mean streak. He can and will bang and crash, but was not consistently aggressive, nor imposing physically. In that way he was similar to former 67s player Mark Mancari. In the playoffs he tried to do more of that banging and crashing though and it worked, and I suspect he can work on the physical aspect of his game.

From everything I have though, he's a quality kid, as the Citizen article notes I believe. A leader off the ice, very involved in the community and was named the top university student on the team. All positive attributes which suggest he is likely to work hard on his game. A solid pick-up.

Edit: See clarification underlined.

Last edited by Hossa: 04-03-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I watched Cowick a fair bit this year for the 67s. I will be interested to see how he does in Hartford.

There are many things to like about Cowick's, but I am at this point unsure of what his potential is. As the articles suggest, he blossomed this year after a trade from Oshawa, and briefly led the OHL in goals around December. I wouldn't say he has scoring line potential in the NHL though. While he is a decent finisher, he isn't a particularly creative player and lacks any major offensive asset. He played very well on a line with Couture and St. Louis pick Anthony Nigro, but Couture really made the line go. The line revolved around Couture's playmaking, distribution and puck control skills. The three would cycle very well, but try to work it to Logan and either Nigro or Cowick would get open. Also, his scoring pace declined once Nigro was added to the line because Nigro was a bit quicker and has a better shot.

He does have some good tools that could allow him to be a grinder. He played largely on the first penalty killing pairing with Couture this year and performed well there. His defensive game is exceptional like Couture's, who has as good defensive awareness as any OHL forward I've seen in years, but Cowick is responsible and a hard worker. I would rate his skating as good for a player his size, and every now and then he can get going, but he's no burner. His stride is not particularly powerful but he moves fairly lightly for a guy his size. More upper body strength would help him as well, as would more of a mean streak. He can and will bang and crash, but was not consistently aggressive, nor imposing physically. In that way he was similar to former 67s player Mark Mancari. In the playoffs he tried to do more of that banging and crashing though and it worked, and I suspect he can work on the physical aspect of his game.

From everything I have though, he's a quality kid, as the Citizen article notes I believe. A leader off the ice, very involved in the community and was named the top university student on the team. All positive attributes which suggest he is likely to work hard on his game. A solid pick-up.
Thanks for the report. Well done.

Sounds like he'd be a good guy to have in the system.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:01 PM
squishy

He got sent home after failing his physical due to a nagging shoulder injury.

Quote:
After arriving in what was to be his new home for the next two months, the Ottawa 67's left-winger visited doctors in Hartford, Connecticut, for a physical before stepping onto the ice Friday morning.

Cowick was preparing for what was to be his AHL debut with the New York Rangers' top affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack, Friday night in Providence, Rhode Island, just one day after signing a free-agent contract.

The trip from the doctor's office to the rink was short, and Hartford coach Ken Gernander was waiting for him at the dressing room, both to welcome Cowick and tell him he had bad news.

The welcome was sincere. The bad news was devastating.

Gernander told the 19-year-old that, due to a long-standing injury to his left shoulder, Hartford team doctors were concerned enough that they did not pass Cowick on the team physical.

That meant about the time the puck was being dropped Friday night for the game between the Wolf Pack and Providence Bruins, Cowick was claiming his luggage at the airport in Ottawa.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...313/story.html

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
hlundqvist30*

Gotta be upsetting for the guy. That sucks.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote