HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Would Parise make team Canada?

View Poll Results: Would Zach Parise make team Canada?
Yes 196 90.74%
No 20 9.26%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Not really. Staal would be a 4th line winger (not his natural position) on team Canada. Why not have a guy who can hit, PK, and provide energy a lot better in that spot which won't get as much TOI. Oh and Doan has the same amount of points of Staal as well. It paid off in 2002 to have a checking line and next year they'll probably try the same thing with players like Doan, Richards, and Morrow.
This is bang on. I'm not sure if Morrow's a lock, due to the injury (will probably depend on how he starts next season), but Richards had damn well better be there, and I'd be very surprised if Doan wasn't on his wing. Also, bear in mind it's in Vancouver this year. The smaller ice surface will play more to the advantage of a checking unit than it did in Turin (as was mentioned, think Salt Lake - or was that international sized? I'm not sure.).

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
ok, I'll play along...

A first line of Parise-Crosby-Iggy would be disgusting. Good luck ever winning a puck battle in the corner against them.
Zetterberg-Påhlsson-Alfredsson would wipe them out

And the Sedins are masters along the boards.

But Parise is american, so I don't see him playing alongside Iginla in the olympics

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Zetterberg-Påhlsson-Alfredsson would wipe them out

And the Sedins are masters along the boards.
Right..

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:04 AM
FLYLine24*

No because he's american.....

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
DG

Would Alexander Ovechkin make team Canada?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Would Alexander Ovechkin make team Canada?
doubt it

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
WreckItRask

This is such a collosally stupid thread. Not one Canadian has more goals than him, and only one Canadian has more points than him (Crosby). Anyone who thinks that he wouldn't be a lock for the Canadian team is just a blatant Canadian homer.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
No because he's american.....
This

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's probably in the top dozen, or so, of players in the entire world.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
morrow?

that cry was for canada finishing outside the podium. again

richards, that's mike richards i suppose?. brad richards didn't make anyone happy last time around

so it was the checking line who won the olympic gold medal for canada in 2002?
Yes, Mike Richards.

And yes, Brenden Morrow. The same Brendan Morrow who had 32 goals and 74 points last year (The same amount as likely Swedish 2nd liner Daniel Sedin). And the same Brenden Morrow who was captain and team MVP in Dallas's cup run last year which ended at the WCF. You know, the one who had 15 points in 18 games this year before getting injured, and that is when Dallas was awful.

Players like Shane Doan, Brenden Morrow, and Brad Richards are the players who will give everything to win a championship. They will only be getting around 10 minutes a night which, along with all being legit 70+ point guys, will hit, provide leadership (they are all captains), and PK better than anyone else on the team. An offensive 4th line will provide minimal, if any, extra offense playing so few minutes and having these types of players PK will probably increase the PK% to make up that difference and then some.

Worry about your own team, because I have yet to come across a Canadian who isn't salivating over having these 3 guys together on a line.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Players like Shane Doan, Brenden Morrow, and Brad Richards ... ... they are all captains.
does dallas have two captains?, and none of them is modano?. strange.

and eric staal is a winner. if i am not mistaken he scored 45+55 100, and 9+19 28 in the playoffs, as a sophomore and won the cup that year more or less on his own on a more or less crappy team once known, before his time there, as the 'empire' hartford whalers ... he also won the world championships with team canada in 2007 scoring 5+5 10 in 9 games

canada is always overrated internationally. and often mostly by themselves. russia won the last world championships, in canada, despite the fact that canada got ridiculously embarrassing help from the poor swedish referees ...

the 'kris draper tactic' didn't work in turin. we'll see if it works in vancouver ...

if i were team manager i would play it something like this

roberto luongo, martin brodeur, steve mason

mike green, jay bouwmeester, duncan keith, dion phaneuf, dennis wideman, brian campbell, scott niedermayer

sidney crosby, joe thornton, jarome iginla, eric staal, rick nash, jonathan toews, martin st. louis, mike richards, jeff carter, marc savard, dany heatley, ryan getzlaf

Last edited by thefifthsedin*: 04-02-2009 at 04:55 PM.
thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Camshaft77

Canada won in Russia in 2007, don't bring the worlds into a discussion about the best on best tournaments.

Parise would absolutely play for Canada, he is a hell of a player.

He is American though so no need to worry about if he could, because it just does not matter.

Keep saying we are over rated and we see how it plays out.

I will just say this Sweden has won once, in best on best competition and that was 2006 good for you. Look at Canada's record in best on best competitions since the Canada Cup/World Cup and the Olympics from 1998 to present and you will see a much better success rate then Sweden.

That is okay though you are the champs right now, you are the reigning best on best champion relish it... but don't expect us Canadians to just bow down to you, just like I don't expect you to bow down to Canada...

see you guys in 2010 in Vancouver

Camshaft77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
does dallas have two captains?, and none of them is modano?. strange.

and eric staal is a winner. if i am not mistaken he scored 45+55 100, and 9+19 28 in the playoffs, as a sophomore and won the cup that year more or less on his own on a more or less crappy team once known, before his time there, as the 'empire' hartford whalers ... he also won the world championships with team canada in 2007 scoring 5+5 10 in 9 games

roberto luongo, martin brodeur, steve mason

mike green, jay bouwmeester, duncan keith, dion phaneuf, dennis wideman, brian campbell, scott niedermayer

sidney crosby, joe thornton, jarome iginla, eric staal, rick nash, jonathan toews, martin st. louis, mike richards, jeff carter, marc savard, dany heatley, ryan getzlaf
Yes Morrow is the captian, they took it away from Modano a few years ago.

You're right Eric Staal is a winner, he is an excellent player, but I will address the problem with him playing for team Canada on my next point. By the way, Carolina was tied for 3rd in the league in points that year, 2nd in their conference, and had Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward and Stillman with 2 less points than him on the team. Not to mention players like Brind'amour and Williams who were both very good for them. He was a big part of the group but no where near carried them on his back.

Your line-up for defense and goalies are fine (with the notable exceptions of Boyle and Pronger being better than Campbell and Wideman respectively) but your forwards is whats wrong.

First off you have 12 players there, 8 of them being centers. Not every player can be pushed to the wing and play effectively. Crosby, Thornton, and Getzlaf will all most likely be centering 3 different lines (Getz due to the effectiveness of the Nash-Getz-Heatley line in the past). Lecavalier will probably be pushed to wing which will be OK, since he is big, a goal scorer, good down low and won't have to worry as much about a defensive game which is one of his weaknesses.

Marc Savard is not a suitable winger the way he plays, especially compared to someone like Simon Gagne who could very well be on the team with his experience, goal scoring and natural winger position. Toews is a great young player, but as of right now he is not better than either Doan or Morrow who are also more experienced and natural wingers. Right now, for me, you need to choose between Carter and Staal, and right now Carter has been out-performing him but we'll see what happens next year. It all depends really on who gets chemistry in training camp, but on that team there are alot of players not in their natural positions and alot of players who aren't normal PKers on their team, if Babcock is the coach that won't fly.

Old
04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
thefifthsedin*

well, it's not my fault really canada can't produce good enough wingers to the roster, that's why this poll is so ridiculous in the first place ... you know, zach parise is a winger

simon gagne is a good choice, patrick sharp, michael cammalleri or corey perry would be ok, but perhaps not great

and ... todd white and ray whitney has more points than shane doan, must be better than him then according to your logic?

Old
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

He's a top 5 player in the NHL right now. Unless the change in nationalities would make him underperform he'd be a shoe in for any olympic team.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
well, it's not my fault really canada can't produce good enough wingers to the roster, that's why this poll is so ridiculous in the first place ... you know, zach parise is a winger

simon gagne is a good choice, patrick sharp, michael cammalleri or corey perry would be ok, but perhaps not great

and ... todd white and ray whitney has more points than shane doan, must be better than him then according to your logic?

I agree with you this poll is ridiculous.

All those wingers (or capable wingers) you mentioned are good and will be given a look, all depends camp I think.

I have never made the argument in this entire thread that more points = a better player. Stop talking out of your ass. My only mention to points was how many Morrow had, and that was to show he is a more than capable offensive threat in combination with a set of intangibles which few players in this league have.

Old
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Worry about your own team
if you mean team sweden, i have no worries really, i don't expect gold, a medal would be a good result.

henrik lundqvist, mikael tellqvist, erik ersberg

nicklas lidström, niklas kronwall, alexander edler, mattias öhlund, kim johnsson, henrik tallinder, douglas murray

henrik zetterberg, daniel alfredsson, johan franzen, nicklas bäckström, henrik sedin, daniel sedin, loui eriksson, mikael samuelsson, tomas holmström, per johan axelsson, patrik berglund, oscar möller

it has the core group [lidström, kronwall, zetterberg, franzen, holmström, samuelsson] from the last cup champion detroit red wings, it has some playmaking abilities [h sedin, bäckström], it has a great goalie [lundqvist], it has a few goalscores [eriksson, alfredsson, franzen, d sedin] ... it even has a mean side to it [doug murray]

so no, i have no worries ...

Old
04-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Randall Graves*

He's a top 10 forward, only the staunch canadian homers would say he wouldn't make it.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
4rde

Whats the point of this poll?

Ofcourse Parise would make the team, he would make anyone's team. There arent many players better than him in the NHL right now.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote