HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#75 -- Bruins at Flyers -- March 29, 2009 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
  #801
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,506
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I think the problem lies with Comcast not wanting Flyers games to be available on anything except their cable network. As I understand it their thinking is that if people can get the games on, say, DirecTV, they'll switch.
You don't get Flyers announcers because Comcast in Philly sends their cable signal out over landlines and not via satellite. Center Ice has no satellite to take it from. The only time you'd get Flyers announcers is if the game is on CW. It has nothing to do with the Flyers wanting to release their broadcast as they don't have full jurisdiction in that since the NHL owns the rights to the broadcast in conjunction to the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
  #802
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You don't get Flyers announcers because Comcast in Philly sends their cable signal out over landlines and not via satellite. Center Ice has no satellite to take it from. The only time you'd get Flyers announcers is if the game is on CW. It has nothing to do with the Flyers wanting to release their broadcast as they don't have full jurisdiction in that since the NHL owns the rights to the broadcast in conjunction to the team.
I don't get why DirecTV subscribers get to see CSN Chicago, Mid-Atlantic, New England, and West, and not Philadelphia. I'd switch in a second here in NYC if I could watch the Flyers' feed every game.


Last edited by bungle: 03-31-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Forgot the quote
bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
  #803
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
As unprofessional as that is here is all Im going to say about that display. This Is All I Thought of while watching that.


TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
  #804
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
[/B]




This guy say more stupid **** than Cherry ever dreamed. I work with a Bruins fan who comes from a family of Bruins fans....none of them like Edwards because they know what a **** commentator he is. They call him one of their only real sources of embarrassment with the Bruins. Edwards is the reason many people hate the Bruins. I just feel it's a shame that I forked over to get Center Ice and I have to watch us play Boston, Buffalo and Pittsburgh with the mute button bcause these clowns constantly insult my intelligence with their homer-preschool-********, I'll know better next year.
You're right. That totally warrants getting into a pissing match with Bruins fans over the whole thing.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
  #805
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
As unprofessional as that is here is all Im going to say about that display. This Is All I Thought of while watching that.

ROFL.

ONE! ONE hit from behind! AH AH AH AH.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
  #806
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
ROFL.

ONE! ONE hit from behind! AH AH AH AH.
Haha excellent.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
  #807
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I don't get why DirecTV subscribers get to see CSN Chicago, Mid-Atlantic, New England, and West, and not Philadelphia. I'd switch in a second here in NYC if I could watch the Flyers' feed every game.
It's one of the many ways in which Comcast gets your money. I forget the details, but as it was explained to me, the FCC requires any cable channel distributed via satellite to be available to other providers. Comcast hates this because they don't want DirecTV to pay for their content, they want you to sign up for their service directly.

The trick is that this regulation is applied not to cable service but to satellite service (probably due to Comcast lobbying). CSN Philadelphia is Comcast's oldest regional channel, and Philadelphia is Comcast's oldest cable network, and here they distribute their content only via cable and not via satellite, which exempts them from the requirement. This is why some people in the exurbs, off the grid, can't get Comcast at all.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
  #808
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
It's one of the many ways in which Comcast gets your money. I forget the details, but as it was explained to me, the FCC requires any cable channel distributed via satellite to be available to other providers. Comcast hates this because they don't want DirecTV to pay for their content, they want you to sign up for their service directly.

The trick is that this regulation is applied not to cable service but to satellite service (probably due to Comcast lobbying). CSN Philadelphia is Comcast's oldest regional channel, and Philadelphia is Comcast's oldest cable network, and here they distribute their content only via cable and not via satellite, which exempts them from the requirement. This is why some people in the exurbs, off the grid, can't get Comcast at all.
Interesting little thread on the subject here, if anyone is interested.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...be-on-satelite

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
  #809
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
You're right. That totally warrants getting into a pissing match with Bruins fans over the whole thing.


I'm not big on contests like that and I wasn't trying to insult any B's fan over something they have no control over. There are a lot of Bruins fans in my neck of the woods, none that I interact with have any love for Edwards. I was just stating that I hate having to pay to listen or watch with no volume, because of his total lack of professionalism.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
  #810
Guffaw26
 
Guffaw26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You don't get Flyers announcers because Comcast in Philly sends their cable signal out over landlines and not via satellite.
Sorry but I think you're wrong on this....plenty of Comcast broadcasts of Sixers games are on satellite. This cable theory was blown out of the water long ago...it's been proven they have the capability to supply the games via satellite.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
  #811
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,506
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
Sorry but I think you're wrong on this....plenty of Comcast broadcasts of Sixers games are on satellite. This cable theory was blown out of the water long ago...it's been proven they have the capability to supply the games via satellite.
The question has been asked numerous times on NHL Live and it's the same answer they give every time. If they're wrong, I'm sure someone would have corrected them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
  #812
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
Sorry but I think you're wrong on this....plenty of Comcast broadcasts of Sixers games are on satellite. This cable theory was blown out of the water long ago...it's been proven they have the capability to supply the games via satellite.
They definitely have the capability. That's not the issue. Comcast is exploiting a loophole in the 1992 Cable Act based on the fact that they are using the old PRISM infrastructure to distribute their signal throughout the network.

This is all down to Comcast protecting its ****** cable TV product by keeping games off DirecTV in the Philadelphia metro area.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
  #813
Guffaw26
 
Guffaw26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The question has been asked numerous times on NHL Live and it's the same answer they give every time. If they're wrong, I'm sure someone would have corrected them.
First....NHL Live is not the authority on the capability of regional sports networks ability to broadcast a game. Second, I've seen COMCAST...got that....COMCAST broadcasts on DirecTV. I've seen 76ers games and I've seen Flyers games. Not the games on the UHF 57 but ones broadcast by Comcast with the Flyers announce team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
They definitely have the capability. That's not the issue. Comcast is exploiting a loophole in the 1992 Cable Act based on the fact that they are using the old PRISM infrastructure to distribute their signal throughout the network.
Isn't that due to sunset in a few years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
This is all down to Comcast protecting its ****** cable TV product by keeping games off DirecTV in the Philadelphia metro area.
Yeah, I know...but they're also screwing the thousands of fans not in the Philly area. Completely stupid because they could still retain their local rights via the blackout rules. I've yet to see anyone give a good answer why Comcast turns it's nose up at the rest of the country when they'd still be able to control their product in the local market.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:19 PM
  #814
Guffaw26
 
Guffaw26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Well, whadda ya know....tonight's Flyers game on DirecTV center ice....Comcast (CSN) broadcast with the JJ & Jonesy. Dang how is that possible?

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.