HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#79): 4/4/2009 New York Rangers @ Boston Bruins 1:00pm MSG+ (HD)

Old
04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
This board is such a disgrace sometimes.

Gomez is one of the few sources of offense on this team. He has played well under torts.

Drury on the other hand....
gomez looked clueless out there today. so many terrible passes

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Cherepanisimov

If we get in, I hope we meet Boston in the playoffs.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
AJRanger

I'm wondering if it's too much to ask for a helping hand from Pittsburgh tomorrow...

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Gomez sucks. That is all.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Deric

Bad loss today even though I didn't expect the Rangers to win.

Gomez is not an elite offensive player and way overpaid, nonetheless he plays hard and tries to make things happen. If we could get rid of him I'd be all for it, but thats near impossible with his contract $ and length, so I can deal with him.

Drury, Redden, and Naslund have to go. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Rozival too. At the very least Torts should rip the C and A from Drury and Nas next season.

We didn't lose this game today because of Lundqvist, but the goal he let in (imo) was one of his signature softies. I think Lundy is a very good goaltender and I'm glad he's locked up as a Ranger, but you guys make him out like he's an all time great. He's a top 5-10 goalie in the league right now. For all the amazing goals he stops he lets in a few softies to even it all out. 1 goal against is amazing, but when its a softie and you lose 1-0 its frustrating.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
Bad loss today even though I didn't expect the Rangers to win.

Gomez is not an elite offensive player and way overpaid, nonetheless he plays hard and tries to make things happen. If we could get rid of him I'd be all for it, but thats near impossible with his contract $ and length, so I can deal with him.

Drury, Redden, and Naslund have to go. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Rozival too. At the very least Torts should rip the C and A from Drury and Nas next season.

We didn't lose this game today because of Lundqvist, but the goal he let in (imo) was one of his signature softies. I think Lundy is a very good goaltender and I'm glad he's locked up as a Ranger, but you guys make him out like he's an all time great. He's a top 5-10 goalie in the league right now. For all the amazing goals he stops he lets in a few softies to even it all out. 1 goal against is amazing, but when its a softie and you lose 1-0 its frustrating.
So so so so so so so so so so so so wrong.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
I dunno, that was a very bad deflection. He would have had it if it didn't go off Sjo(?).

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
OverTheCap

Like everyone else on this team, Gomez is way too inconsistent. Has a great game against the Devils and then can barely make a pass today.

Every forward on this team is way too streaky: Gomez, Naslund, Z, Drury, Dubi, etc. I know Glen likes reclamation projects but this team desperately needs a consistent scoring threat. Relying on forwards who disappear for long stretches has burnt this team time and time again. I don't even know how Glen is going to fix this mess.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

BTW, why do the Rangers suck so much on the road?
16-19-5. Brutal

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I dunno, that was a very bad deflection. He would have had it if it didn't go off Sjo(?).
That was my take on it after seeing the replay. Besides, if the team in front of him can't score 1 damn goal I don't think the finger should be pointed at Hank. He kept us in it with some nice stops.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Naslund has another year at $4 million. Really the only way we are going to get rid of Naslund and Redden is to bury them in the minors. Hopefully someone is stupid enough to pick them up off waivers but I doubt it.
Im all for that too, and for the people who say free agents won't come here if we do that, oh well, then don't come to the Rangers and we will build the team from within. Tired of these over priced players coming here just for the money. At least it will send a message, that you can take the bucks to come here, but be on notice, if you care about playing in the NHL, then you better perform or be the rich boy traveling on the bus all night long in the AHL.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:43 PM
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
He didn't try to hurt him, it was a very light tap...He was just trying to stir something up...And yes, of course I would get annoyed if someone did it to Lundqvist, but thats the point of it. It is such a pain in the ass to play against someone like Avery and I am glad to have him on this team
He took his stick to a players head. I don't care if it's a tap or not. It's head shot. The referee can't start to gauge how hard a player is hit with the stick to call a penalty. This must be a suspension.

Avery is an average player and crap like this is the only way he can try and make a difference.

blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Gomez sucks. That is all.

He really doesn't.

He is overpaid, but he really does not suck... at all. Players who want the puck turn it over... it happens.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Hey another 1-0 loss.

Not all that mad about it...Since my daughter was born last thursday i haven't watched a single game and except for a few mins of the Caro game.

As far as making the playoffs...hmm, this team is kinda like Ottawa last season...a complete disaster of a regular season after so much promise only to have it all end in embarrassment in the playoffs.

Everybody knows how much I loathe some players on the current team but all in all I think 91-94 points is what we all expected

However, it is obvious that:

a) they became complacent and never anticipated almost every team behind them in the standings to play 10 times better than them in the second half

b) Jagr's impact on games in march and April was extremely undervalued, especially when we had the playoff pushes in 2007 and 2008. Although I felt it was time to go in a different direction, I never though guys like Drury, Naslund, and Gomez would absolutely crumble in the face of adversity and pressure.

In all the years I was watching this team, they have always had a reliable go-to guy when they have been competitve (Larouche, Sandstrom, Gartner, Nicholls, Messier, Leetch, Jagr)

This is the first time I can remember a Ranger team in which nobody had the ability to rise to the occaision a few times when it was absolutely necessary. Cally and Avery have shown it, but that's about it.

I just want this season to end.....next week, next month, playoffs or no playoffs. I think we can all admit that outside of seeing our younger guys develop instead of regress, this season has been brutal on the psyche, painful to the eyes and just overall demoralizing.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:04 PM
PMNEWYORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Yupp, got no problem with what Avery did.. At least he cares. Sean Avery can play on my team over Chris Drury any day of the week
if I were the coach I would suspend him. I would do it before the league had a chance to do it. I think what Avery did is unsportsmanlike and a disgrace. I was ready to give him another chance and enjoy his passion. No more. He proved himself not worthy of a true hockey fan's respect.

PMNEWYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:11 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It's games like this that make me wish we never brought Avery back. Completely classless, moves like that do not belong in the game of hockey. Embarrassing to watch as a Rangers fan.

04-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Avery gave Timmy a love tap nothing more, nothing less. He did what he thought would happen. Get a reaction out of TT.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
It's games like this that make me wish we never brought Avery back. Completely classless, moves like that do not belong in the game of hockey. Embarrassing to watch as a Rangers fan.
Seriously? What about slew footing a player which can actually seriously injure someone? Or purposely boarding/elbowing someone? Those are "classless." Let's be real here, Avery didn't two hand him across the neck with his stick. I don't condone what Avery did, but at the same time, don't blow it out of proportion.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Personally I loved it and found it hilarious.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:28 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
Seriously? What about slew footing a player which can actually seriously injure someone? Or purposely boarding/elbowing someone? Those are "classless." Let's be real here, Avery didn't two hand him across the neck with his stick. I don't condone what Avery did, but at the same time, don't blow it out of proportion.
Agreed, it was stupid and unsportsmanlike but it's not like he put anyone's life at risk. Taking intentional headshots that may result in concussions are far more dangerous and classless than Avery's shenanigans. Sadly, the league does not agree, because punks like Gauthier who repeatedly take headshots at other players get suspended 3-4 games while Avery says "sloppy seconds" and is slapped with a 6-game suspension.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Personally I loved it and found it hilarious.
What was even funnier was that Thomas still got the shutout. Bravo, Avery!

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:35 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMNEWYORK View Post
if I were the coach I would suspend him. I would do it before the league had a chance to do it. I think what Avery did is unsportsmanlike and a disgrace. I was ready to give him another chance and enjoy his passion. No more. He proved himself not worthy of a true hockey fan's respect.
Boo hoo hoo, want a tissue?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:37 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
It's games like this that make me glad we did. He's the only player that other teams even need to pay attention to.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMNEWYORK View Post
Maybe baseball is more your speed with all the trotting and clapping. I'm a true hockey fan and I respect him more than any other player on this team. A true hockey fan understands the important role of agitator, which has been around as long as the ice itself.

I'll take him over the Drury, Redden, Naslund comas any day. I wish Redden would man up and smack a guy in the head.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Hey another 1-0 loss.

Not all that mad about it...Since my daughter was born last thursday i haven't watched a single game and except for a few mins of the Caro game.

As far as making the playoffs...hmm, this team is kinda like Ottawa last season...a complete disaster of a regular season after so much promise only to have it all end in embarrassment in the playoffs.

Everybody knows how much I loathe some players on the current team but all in all I think 91-94 points is what we all expected

However, it is obvious that:

a) they became complacent and never anticipated almost every team behind them in the standings to play 10 times better than them in the second half

b) Jagr's impact on games in march and April was extremely undervalued, especially when we had the playoff pushes in 2007 and 2008. Although I felt it was time to go in a different direction, I never though guys like Drury, Naslund, and Gomez would absolutely crumble in the face of adversity and pressure.

In all the years I was watching this team, they have always had a reliable go-to guy when they have been competitve (Larouche, Sandstrom, Gartner, Nicholls, Messier, Leetch, Jagr)

This is the first time I can remember a Ranger team in which nobody had the ability to rise to the occaision a few times when it was absolutely necessary. Cally and Avery have shown it, but that's about it.

I just want this season to end.....next week, next month, playoffs or no playoffs. I think we can all admit that outside of seeing our younger guys develop instead of regress, this season has been brutal on the psyche, painful to the eyes and just overall demoralizing.
I think the coaching change actually have a pretty big impact too.

We always won a ton late in the seasons with Renney -- but it sure wasn't always pretty. But we got the pts. On away ice with Torts it becomes too much of a gamble.

Sure, Torts will need time in NY to make a impact -- I am not really talking about that, just explaining why we haven't closed this race yet.

Right now it seems like we win most of the game on home ice while loosing our away games. .500 hockey late in the season isn't good enough. Every other game seems to be a 3pts game for the rest of the teams...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote