HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres sign Turnbull

Old
04-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 500
Sabres sign Turnbull

Per Andy Strickland; Turnbull signs a two year deal with Buffalo.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...bu8230/5/20417

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Just saw this. Pretty cool... playing in Portland against Lowell (is that Friday night?)

6'0, 193lbs

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Tiny blurb:

Quote:
Congrats to Michigan forward and St. Louis native Travis Turnbull who agreed to a two year deal with the Buffalo Sabres Thursday night. He will report to Portland and be in the lineup tomorrow night against Lowell.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Vito_81

So I assume the rest of the season in Portland counts as year one of the two year deal.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Is he a winger or a center?

And more importantly, does he hit?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
So I assume the rest of the season in Portland counts as year one of the two year deal.
Generous's deal doesn't start until next year (he's in Portland on a ATO to get around their crazy CDR rules). I assume Turnbull would be along the same lines.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Old Navy Goat

Contracts run from 1 Jul to 1 Jul so his won't start until then. He's on a ATO deal.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Rammstein816

Don't know anything about this guy. Who will he take the place of in Portland? Is he necessarily an upgrade over that player?

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

So who's seen him?

166 GP, 40 G, 50 A, 90 TP, 241 PIM. Agitator?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's Perry Turnbull's son for starters. Definitely plays with an edge and likes to stir the pot... I read something that described him as "tough to play against".

04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
So who's seen him?

166 GP, 40 G, 50 A, 90 TP, 241 PIM. Agitator?
He's only listed at 6'0 193...

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Hockey's Travis Turnbull is Michigan's 'Anchorman'

Travis Turnbull: Turning It Up a Notch

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
He's only listed at 6'0 193...
Which puts him around Kaleta, Avery, Carcillo in terms of size....

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

...look Darcy gets it....

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
MHNet

Turnbull didn't do as well offensively this year as we Michigan fans, and himself for sure, had hoped. Just 8-20-28 in his senior year after posting 15 goals in his junior campaign. He had the third highest shot total on the team this season, too (111 shots on goal)...just struggled to put the puck in the net. So he's capable offensively, but needs to rediscover the confidence.

Otherwise, he's a tough cookie and a bit of a hot head. There were close to a handful of times during the second half of the season when it looked like he was about to kill an opponent. When Travis gets fired up, he really gets FIRED UP. I never got to see him fight in college (for obvious reasons), so I'll be curious to see this aspect of his game. If it's as good as I hear he is, I can see him in a checking/enforcer role with some offensive upside.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
I can see him in a checking/enforcer role with some offensive upside.
only on the Sabres is being 6'0" 190 qualify you to be the enforcer.

Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
only on the Sabres is being 6'0" 190 qualify you to be the enforcer.
I think they may be starting to see the merits of having shift disturbers or passionate players in their stable. I would like to see Orpik tendered a deal -- that boy likes to hit and has the size to excel along the wall.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think they may be starting to see the merits of having shift disturbers or passionate players in their stable. I would like to see Orpik tendered a deal -- that boy likes to hit and has the size to excel along the wall.
I agree with you Chain on the need for more sand in the lineup. My concern is how he sounds comparable a bit (albeit way too early) to Kaleta in the agitator role.

Earlier this week when we were discussing Kaleta's third potential concussion this year I attempted to go back to the beginning of last year (I may be attributing this to the wrong person) and find a comment you had made about the possible pitfalls of having a player like Kaleta in the lineup. Namely that the hatred he creates on the ice will manifest itself in one of two ways 1.) teams will retaliate against him and he'll have a short injury plagued career (which we may be witnessing unfold right before us now) or 2.) teams will retaliate against our skilled players and we don't have anyone else on our team who can mitigate against that and Kaleta himself is not enough of a pugilist to make them think twice (i.e. Miller's injury).

I think you (and if it wasn't you I apologize) hit the nail right on the head on both accounts. If that's so for Kaleta then I'm not sure how another slight agitator (thinking Esa Tikanen style) will be any different if we don't also bulk up the physical play of the rest of the lineup which Regier hasn't shown a willingness to do.

Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with you Chain on the need for more sand in the lineup. My concern is how he sounds comparable a bit (albeit way too early) to Kaleta in the agitator role.

Earlier this week when we were discussing Kaleta's third potential concussion this year I attempted to go back to the beginning of last year (I may be attributing this to the wrong person) and find a comment you had made about the possible pitfalls of having a player like Kaleta in the lineup. Namely that the hatred he creates on the ice will manifest itself in one of two ways 1.) teams will retaliate against him and he'll have a short injury plagued career (which we may be witnessing unfold right before us now) or 2.) teams will retaliate against our skilled players and we don't have anyone else on our team who can mitigate against that and Kaleta himself is not enough of a pugilist to make them think twice (i.e. Miller's injury).

I think you (and if it wasn't you I apologize) hit the nail right on the head on both accounts. If that's so for Kaleta then I'm not sure how another slight agitator (thinking Esa Tikanen style) will be any different if we don't also bulk up the physical play of the rest of the lineup which Regier hasn't shown a willingness to do.
It's a concern if they don't have guys to answer the bell or stand up for him when he's getting 'jacked. Having him with Gaustad is a step toward that... I'd love a Moen-type guy there as well. Granted, an excellent figher on the ice doesn't necessarily keep guys from scum-shotting someone else...

That said, getting more sand guys into the pipeline can mitigate the possibility of losing someone on the roster. Kaleta's disc issue aside, it's not like this creampuff team couldn't use more physical play all over the roster.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Just to clarify again. Kaleta HAS NOT HAD concussions this year. He has an issue with a disc in his neck. The symptoms are similar to a concussion (headaches, blurred vision, dizzyness).

Sorry to be anal and it really doesn't change your point. But its a pet peeve when it keeps getting brought up as if its fact.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote