HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas signs 4-Year/$20M Deal with B's; Implications on Flyers' Off-Season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2009, 02:09 AM
  #26
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I don't see any way Marty can get equal to or more than Thomas.
I think that's the point. Assuming he gets less than Thomas, which is what he deserves, the Flyers now can bring Marty back for around 4.5 which is pretty reasonable.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:12 AM
  #27
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Marty at 4.5 is ok if its a short deal.

If Holmgrem blows a nut again on re-signing our decent players to huge deals, I will be very unhappy.

Either way, we HAVE to unload Lupul and Jones to make room for JVR. I would rather have a cheap vet FA guy play bottom pairing then pay Jones when we need the space.

Lupul has been good enough, but Giroux will replace his production and then JVR will be here. Whether Knuble re-signs at a decent price or not does not effect my opinion here.

JVR gets Gagne's money when Gagne is done.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:15 AM
  #28
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Marty at 4.5 is ok if its a short deal.

If Holmgrem blows a nut again on re-signing our decent players to huge deals, I will be very unhappy.

Wither way, we HAVE to unload Lupul and Jones to make room for JVR.

I would rather have a cheap vet guy play bottom pairing then pay Jones when we need the space.

Lupul has been good enough, but Giroux will replace his production and then JVR will be here.

JVR gets Gagne's money when Gagne is done.
Oh, sending Lupul out is my highest armchair GM priority.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:22 AM
  #29
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,495
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I don't see any way Marty can get equal to or more than Thomas.
im thinking after seeing this Thomas deal. I would hope to expect 4 years/16-17 million(4-4.25 per)
Biron's agent probably isnt all that thrilled with that Thomas contract. The Flyers should be happy/relieved over it

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:05 AM
  #30
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
It bothers me that everyone is back on the unload Lupul wagon. I agree with the post earlier where we need to move on from Knuble and work on our younger players. I love Knubs, but he is worth way more than we will be willing to pay him and I hope he moves on to make good money when rounding out his career. I feel with the ability to sign Biron around the 4.5ish mark, we should concentrate more on filling a defensive need by dealing a salary like Jones or Carle. This would allow some of our prospects and a cheap vet to step up and round out our parings. The blue line is a place where we seem to struggle to get younger and frankly I think a changing of the guard will serve us well. We are at a point in time where our balanced offensive production is unrivaled by other teams, and I feel a trial by fire for defensive prospects at this time suits us much better than dealing offensive talent in order to sign short term defensive help.

We don't play the defensive style where we live and die by our blue line, so why adjust our team to face that pressure. I feel allowing our prospects and younger defensemen to step up and fill a void will be much better for our team in the long run. If this fails to work, then look for something approaching the deadline like we did this past year. Either way I don't think a fire-sale of salary is truly necessary for us to be successful.

If we stay where we are offensively and do some figuring on D then we are looking at essentially 7-8 20+ goal scorers with the ability of 5-6 hitting 30. Not a bad set of offensive support to build the confidence of defenders.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:56 AM
  #31
Claude28Giroux
praiseG
 
Claude28Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lewiston, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,707
vCash: 500
Basically Lupul and Jones need to go in my book.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:38 AM
  #32
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
Basically Lupul and Jones need to go in my book.

My offseason plan is basically to send Lupul and something to Minnesota for Josh Harding at the draft, signing him for $3 million or less, and sending Jones to anyone for a pick. Sign Nitty or Backlund for cheap, re-sign Knuble for $2 million or less.

LW: Gagne, Hartnell, JVR, Carcillo, Cote(?)

C: Richards, Carter, Briere, Powe

RW: Knuble, Giroux, Nodl, Asham

D: Timonen, Carle, Sbisa, Parent, Coburn, Alberts, Veteran 7th

G: Harding, Nitty/Backlund


That looks pretty sweet, and the payroll would come in around $54-55 million.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:11 AM
  #33
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Am I really going to be the first one to bring up Rask?
I'd imagine Boston will let Manny walk and Task will tudor under Thomas next season or two

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
  #34
bakunin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
My offseason plan is basically to send Lupul and something to Minnesota for Josh Harding at the draft, signing him for $3 million or less, and sending Jones to anyone for a pick. Sign Nitty or Backlund for cheap, re-sign Knuble for $2 million or less.

LW: Gagne, Hartnell, JVR, Carcillo, Cote(?)

C: Richards, Carter, Briere, Powe

RW: Knuble, Giroux, Nodl, Asham

D: Timonen, Carle, Sbisa, Parent, Coburn, Alberts, Veteran 7th

G: Harding, Nitty/Backlund


That looks pretty sweet, and the payroll would come in around $54-55 million.
I agree with you. For me, Biron isn't worth anything more than 3,5 Millions. Harding would be a good fit an i'm not yet ready to give up on Nitty.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  #35
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
I agree with you. For me, Biron isn't worth anything more than 3,5 Millions. Harding would be a good fit an i'm not yet ready to give up on Nitty.
I just don't get this attitude. The GM himself has said he's done.

When will you be ready?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
  #36
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I just don't get this attitude. The GM himself has said he's done.

When will you be ready?
Nitty's main problem has been his hip. It would not surprise me if that is the reason he always seems to play 5 or 6 really good games and then fall of a cliff. It seems his hip simply cant take that many games. This is the reason he probably wont be back next year, even as a backup. However, if he can get his hip right he can be a very good starter. Whether or not he can fix his hip is the issue.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
  #37
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
I agree with you. For me, Biron isn't worth anything more than 3,5 Millions. Harding would be a good fit an i'm not yet ready to give up on Nitty.
Harding deserves a shot to be the #1 guy, and he'd be the most affordable option for a starter (and getting rid of Lupul's contract would be sweet). I'd like to see Nitty back, but only if his hip is up to it. We can't have a guy with an arthritic hip out there every 3rd or 4th game. It comes down to health and cost. Backlund would be cheap, and I am sure he'd be OK with starting out as the clear #2.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
  #38
Shoeny
Registered User
 
Shoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
I was watching NHL live during the deadline and the Thrashers GM was talking about trading a goalie during the offseason. I think he was implying that nonsense rumor of JVR for one of their overrated young goalies.

I would trade for Rask in a heartbeat. Lehtonen is 25 and hasnt reached where he should be. Id rather have Niity for 1.5 than Lehtonen for 3.5. and trading for Pavelec will have so much pressure on him because its Philly and they would have traded their best prospect for him. Rask on the other hand has played good for Boston when he's had the chance and playing in Boston is an atmosphere like Philly and is used to the pressure.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
  #39
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
I was watching NHL live during the deadline and the Thrashers GM was talking about trading a goalie during the offseason. I think he was implying that nonsense rumor of JVR for one of their overrated young goalies.

I would trade for Rask in a heartbeat. Lehtonen is 25 and hasnt reached where he should be. Id rather have Niity for 1.5 than Lehtonen for 3.5. and trading for Pavelec will have so much pressure on him because its Philly and they would have traded their best prospect for him. Rask on the other hand has played good for Boston when he's had the chance and playing in Boston is an atmosphere like Philly and is used to the pressure.

I'd be happy with either Harding or Rask, if we can trade some salary in a deal and lock them up for a few years. We need a young goaltender with #1 upside, no question.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
  #40
Claude Giroux
 
Claude Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd be happy with either Harding or Rask, if we can trade some salary in a deal and lock them up for a few years. We need a young goaltender with #1 upside, no question.
The Wild just gave Backstrom a nice contract, I think we could get Harding. That would be great.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:52 PM
  #41
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
The Wild just gave Backstrom a nice contract, I think we could get Harding. That would be great.
Lupul and one of the 3rds on Draft Day. It works out perfectly.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:41 PM
  #42
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Lupul and one of the 3rds on Draft Day. It works out perfectly.
Yeah, for us. Something tells me Minnesota wouldn't be as enthused.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
  #43
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, for us. Something tells me Minnesota wouldn't be as enthused.
I agree. I'm curious to see what Harding's contract looks like next year.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
  #44
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, for us. Something tells me Minnesota wouldn't be as enthused.
They're in desperate need of some offense. I generally stay away from trade proposals, but I think Lupul would be fairly attractive to Minnesota and they don't have much need for a 1A with Backstrom locked up.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
  #45
Claude Giroux
 
Claude Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
I'd be really happy if we got Harding, I love righty-catching goalies.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
  #46
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, for us. Something tells me Minnesota wouldn't be as enthused.
I wouldn't be so sure. They would like scoring, and I am sure they'd rather get a top 6 winger and a 3rd in 2009 than a 2nd in 2010, which is probably what they'd get if they let him walk as compensation. The only concern is Lupul's contract. He'd be their highest-paid forward if Gaborik is gone. Still, they don't score nearly enough, and Lupul is locked up. It's worth a shot. They can't afford to keep Harding, so it's really only a matter of what kind of package would they take.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:16 PM
  #47
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Do you think Flyers may deal Briere to free up a little cap space? How has he played in the playoffs so far?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
  #48
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Do you think Flyers may deal Briere to free up a little cap space? How has he played in the playoffs so far?
They probably would, if they could.

NMC makes it difficult.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
  #49
Orange Crush 89
Registered User
 
Orange Crush 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
They probably would, if they could.

NMC makes it difficult.
I love how in the post you responded to it was asked "how has he (Briere) looked in the playoffs?" and there was no answer... but see that non-answer spoke volumes as suckberry shortcake has been invisible. God I hate Briere. Shouldn't he be taking a ring to Mordor or something?

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
  #50
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I love how in the post you responded to it was asked "how has he (Briere) looked in the playoffs?" and there was no answer... but see that non-answer spoke volumes as suckberry shortcake has been invisible. God I hate Briere. Shouldn't he be taking a ring to Mordor or something?
He's made some nice plays since coming back from injury, but all too often he gets pushed around like a little girl. We're a better team if we can trade him and his huge salary.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.