HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#79): 4/4/2009 New York Rangers @ Boston Bruins 1:00pm MSG+ (HD)

Old
04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
What was even funnier was that Thomas still got the shutout. Bravo, Avery!
If you find shutouts funny, okay then...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:00 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
If you find shutouts funny, okay then...
s a r c a s m

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
char521

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
It's games like this that make me wish we never brought Avery back. Completely classless, moves like that do not belong in the game of hockey. Embarrassing to watch as a Rangers fan.
Are you serious. Let's see...........1-0 game, where playing with no emotion, our backs are against the wall, were being shut out by a good goalie and playing the number one seed in the east. As a result to get us going and get Thomas off his game, Avery taps him in the back of the helmet with his stick. I don't know how your embarrased at what he did. He didn't shove him over, he didn't slash him in the back, he skated by and had his stick hit the back of his helmet. At least he cares enough to try and do something to wake this team up.

If i were you i'd be embarrased to have Chris Drury and Wade Reden playing for your team. They play with absolutely no passion game in and game out. There the ones you should be mad at not one of the only two guys on the team that actually tries.

char521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
s a r c a s m
I think your detector is broken...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Hey another 1-0 loss.

Not all that mad about it...Since my daughter was born last thursday i haven't watched a single game and except for a few mins of the Caro game.

As far as making the playoffs...hmm, this team is kinda like Ottawa last season...a complete disaster of a regular season after so much promise only to have it all end in embarrassment in the playoffs.

Everybody knows how much I loathe some players on the current team but all in all I think 91-94 points is what we all expected

However, it is obvious that:

a) they became complacent and never anticipated almost every team behind them in the standings to play 10 times better than them in the second half

b) Jagr's impact on games in march and April was extremely undervalued, especially when we had the playoff pushes in 2007 and 2008. Although I felt it was time to go in a different direction, I never though guys like Drury, Naslund, and Gomez would absolutely crumble in the face of adversity and pressure.

In all the years I was watching this team, they have always had a reliable go-to guy when they have been competitve (Larouche, Sandstrom, Gartner, Nicholls, Messier, Leetch, Jagr)

This is the first time I can remember a Ranger team in which nobody had the ability to rise to the occaision a few times when it was absolutely necessary. Cally and Avery have shown it, but that's about it.

I just want this season to end.....next week, next month, playoffs or no playoffs. I think we can all admit that outside of seeing our younger guys develop instead of regress, this season has been brutal on the psyche, painful to the eyes and just overall demoralizing.
Spot on with this post. The thing that bothers me most with this team is that I don't see the situation getting any better. We're not going to get a top draft pick... we don't have any offensive prodigies in the system unless Grachev somehow becomes an elite player and we've got 2 or 3 contracts that no other GM in this league will touch with a 10 foot pole.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Spot on with this post. The thing that bothers me most with this team is that I don't see the situation getting any better. We're not going to get a top draft pick... we don't have any offensive prodigies in the system unless Grachev somehow becomes an elite player and we've got 2 or 3 contracts that no other GM in this league will touch with a 10 foot pole.
Maybe this us just blind faith, but I have a feeling that Cally and Dubinsky and Staal will all develop into what the three multi-millionaires were supposed to do.

For example, Staal will develop into an No. 1 or No. 2, thus taking pressure off redden like Chara did. In fact, look at how long it took Chara to develop. Not a long shot to think Staal can command 27-29 mins a game.

Cally has already proven he has the "intangibles" Drury was supposed to bring. I really think he will be the Captain of this team in a year or two.

Dubinsky has a lot of Gomez's traits, except he is bigger and stronger on the puck. He also needs a big winger to bury his set ups.

So let's just give it another year.

We will always be competitive with hank in net. The key is for our coaching staff, players and fan base to realize that Drury, Gomez and Redden were absolutely terrible acquisitions, but we are stuck with them and should now be giving our young guys who have the heart and desire the big-game minutes and responsibilities that go along with them

Plus, let's not forget Fleury's first year and how abysmal he was, only to bounce back and be a dominant force. I think Drury and Gomez played with house money last season because Shanny, jagr and Straka were around. But now that they have each had their worst season's as pro's, I expect them all to bounce back.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
shout2007

wonder if the tables were turned and the rangers goalie did what thomas did. bet the call would have included a game misconduct for leaving his end of the ice during a fight. They also missed an easy major for kneeing that might end are best chance to make the playoffs. anyone care to tell me i am wrong. I say screw the NHL and the refs and their BS calls against all 3 local teams they should all tell them they are leaving the NHL and start the own league and watch the NHL die in 3 years.

shout2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:00 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Who else highly entertained by Rene Rancourt's singing of the national anthem???? HAHAHAH... Ridiculous....

The poor guy on the organ had no clue how fast to play...

Here's his other handy work. He sounds like a ghost at times:

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Personally I loved it and found it hilarious.
Personally I found the response of Bruins fans and other sissies calling for suspensions hilarious. Oh, and the "if Looch was on the ice..." circle jerks. Pretty amusing HF Sunday morning/afternoon for me.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Chimp

Rene is so terrible, even his wife and best friends should tell him to quit.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

So... what now? Do we have to win the 3 remaining, to stay in? yikes

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Block More Shots

I said when we had 6 games left that we need to win all of the remaining at home. We beat NJ...now we gotta take MTL and Philly. I think if we finish with 93 points we'll make it. Florida has a tough schedule and that loss to ATL was pretty bad for them. Of course, we also have a tough schedule to finish the season.

It's going to be interesting, to say the least. This team can definitely hold the 8th spot...the Garden will be of great help to them.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"There will be other songs to sing,
Another fall...another spring... "

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:59 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
Seriously? What about slew footing a player which can actually seriously injure someone? Or purposely boarding/elbowing someone? Those are "classless." Let's be real here, Avery didn't two hand him across the neck with his stick. I don't condone what Avery did, but at the same time, don't blow it out of proportion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
It's games like this that make me glad we did. He's the only player that other teams even need to pay attention to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by char521 View Post
Are you serious. Let's see...........1-0 game, where playing with no emotion, our backs are against the wall, were being shut out by a good goalie and playing the number one seed in the east. As a result to get us going and get Thomas off his game, Avery taps him in the back of the helmet with his stick. I don't know how your embarrased at what he did. He didn't shove him over, he didn't slash him in the back, he skated by and had his stick hit the back of his helmet. At least he cares enough to try and do something to wake this team up.

If i were you i'd be embarrased to have Chris Drury and Wade Reden playing for your team. They play with absolutely no passion game in and game out. There the ones you should be mad at not one of the only two guys on the team that actually tries.

Honestly, I have no idea how you can condone what Avery did. Sure, he didn't McSorely Tim Thomas, but he took a cheap shot while Thomas was stretching during a t.v. timeout. If that's not the definition of gutless, pointless, and selfish I don't know what is. Oh and Avery cares? He cares about conducting his own little 3-ring circus. If he really "cared" he would be focusing on putting the puck into the back of the net.

04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Honestly, I have no idea how you can condone what Avery did. Sure, he didn't McSorely Tim Thomas, but he took a cheap shot while Thomas was stretching during a t.v. timeout. If that's not the definition of gutless, pointless, and selfish I don't know what is. Oh and Avery cares? He cares about conducting his own little 3-ring circus. If he really "cared" he would be focusing on putting the puck into the back of the net.
I clearly stated I don't condone what Avery did. I am saying that you're blowing it way out of proportion.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

What he did was so unnecessary and disrespectful it was comical. But hey, if it throws them off their game, so be it. There was no life in the entire game prior to it happening.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
char521

nyrfan

O no Avery tapped a goalie on his helmet. O god. If you want to talk about gutless how about Thomas hitting Shostrum in the face with his blocker.

I guess I could see you saying it was dirty....but your supposedly a ranger fan, and most fans usually don't get mad at their own guys for doing things to tick off the opposition. I don't think penguin fans get mad when Malkin slew foots someone.

Also you said he should care about scoring, did you ever think that maybe his thought process was, HEy this guys shutting us down, maybe i can aggitate him and get him off his and and then score.

char521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
What he did was so unnecessary and disrespectful it was comical. But hey, if it throws them off their game, so be it. There was no life in the entire game prior to it happening.
Didnt really work.

Glad to see most calling it what it was. Sure, it wasnt with the intent to injure, but it is just something you dont do. Too bad, because he is an extremely effective player, but he really makes himself a sideshow more often than not.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Didnt really work.

Glad to see most calling it what it was. Sure, it wasnt with the intent to injure, but it is just something you dont do. Too bad, because he is an extremely effective player, but he really makes himself a sideshow more often than not.
Maybe not for this game, but if the two meet up in the playoffs you gotta figure Avery's on their mind a little more.

Please, Avery has not done a bad thing since he's come back. In fact, opponents are the ones who have looked childish trying to "get" at him.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by char521 View Post
I guess I could see you saying it was dirty....but your supposedly a ranger fan, and most fans usually don't get mad at their own guys for doing things to tick off the opposition. I don't think penguin fans get mad when Malkin slew foots someone.
I guess I'm just not a blind homer who sticks up for my players regardless of whether their actions are childish and disgraceful.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
eco's bones

It's always best to react to what the other team does I guess. Sean should just be a regular guy like any number of his sleepwalking teammates.

Anyway we all know that Avery is a support player offensively. If we really do need a goal we can rely on Drury. He's Mr. Clutch. So yeah--there was no reason for Sean to try to wake his team up. After all there's still 3 games left. We've still got all the time in the world.

If any of Drury, Naslund or Zherdev--our legit(?) goal scoring threats had done their job I don't think we would have seen that. FWIW I'm not worried about what Bruin fans think about it. It's easy for them anyway since they don't have to think about their season ending next week since they really do have a good team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 07:41 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
any news on antro?

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
BleedBlue4491

I was at this game, and was absolutely furious with the last 5 minutes.
They were entertaining, definitely.. but both Thomas and Avery acted ridiculously stupid. I don't think what Avery did is the type of thing that energizes a team.. it was reckless and the refs won't condone him doing anything so its not like he was going to get off scot free.
Thomas is a complete Jerk.. from things that I've seen, hes always trying to get in peoples faces and fight. he's a goalie. He should leave that up to the forwards and defense. And he should not be taking cheap shots at our players.

All i wanted was a win for my birthday.. darn! Great game though, seriously. I can't believe we hit a post in the third period.

BleedBlue4491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue4491 View Post
I was at this game, and was absolutely furious with the last 5 minutes.
They were entertaining, definitely.. but both Thomas and Avery acted ridiculously stupid. I don't think what Avery did is the type of thing that energizes a team.. it was reckless and the refs won't condone him doing anything so its not like he was going to get off scot free.
Thomas is a complete Jerk.. from things that I've seen, hes always trying to get in peoples faces and fight. he's a goalie. He should leave that up to the forwards and defense. And he should not be taking cheap shots at our players.

All i wanted was a win for my birthday.. darn! Great game though, seriously. I can't believe we hit a post in the third period.
I was also at the game. It was interesting to me, because as I said earlier, many of the people, at least in my section, were clueless as to why Thomas went after him. It wasnt until the replay went up that we realized what happened. I feel the Refs were thinking the same, it just did not look to me like they saw what happened until the replay. Like it or not, you cannot call a penalty on a replay. The7y only saw Thomas go after Avery, and then punch Sjostrom in the head with his blocker, two penalties, yet they only called one.

Other than that I thought it was a fun game to watch. Atmosphere was good, quite loud at times, and there were quite a few Rangers fans in the arena, a lot up by me in 321. I was truly amazed to see just how slow Redden really is, its sickening. And Zherdev seemed to cough up the puck way too many times on his fancy plays. Cally looked great, Mara as well, and believe it or not I thought that Naslund looked very good in that game. Disappointing result, but glad I went to the game for sure.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
rician blast

I was at the game and have to say Drury looked absolutely horrible. I'd have expected a lot more leadership from him in a tight game during the playoff push, but he stunk. Zherdev als was a shell of the player I'd expected to see.

rician blast is offline   Reply With Quote