HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Official Move Matty Carle to Forward Thread

Old
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Someone just started a thread wanting to break up Jones and Alberts, it's not like people didn't notice that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Someone just started a thread wanting to break up Jones and Alberts, it's not like people didn't notice that.
Yeah true, I'm just saying, why trash on Carle for yesterday's game when Kimmo cost us a goal and Jones and Alberts sucked?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
See, this just isn't true.

Let's take the last 6 weeks back to February 14th. In 25 games, he has 2 goals, 8 assists, and is a +1. Now, considering the team has struggled a lot at ES and that we've been generally shaky, I'm alright with that. Plus, he's been leading our team in ES ice-time, which means he's going up against top-6 players on other teams, and is keeping a positive rating.

People seem to forget how awful this team really is at ES. When Carle has a game like last night where he's okay defensively and doesn't do much else, people just like to trash all over him (meanwhile ignoring Jones and Alberts who were just awful).

EDIT: I should add that typing out your feelings on the Internet doesn't really take a lot of "balls."
If a guy is making 3.5 million, he'd best be putting some points on the board.

I thought +/- didn't mean anything?

Carle has stunk, period. If you don't see that, that's cool. He's your boy, it's hard to look at reality I guess.

No, it doesn't take 'balls' (per say), but people do shy away from posting their true opinions and feelings...as they don't want to be called out for it. I don't.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah true, I'm just saying, why trash on Carle for yesterday's game when Kimmo cost us a goal and Jones and Alberts sucked?
All six guys were bad, to be honest.

Old
04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
If a guy is making 3.5 million, he'd best be putting some points on the board.

I thought +/- didn't mean anything?

Carle has stunk, period. If you don't see that, that's cool. He's your boy, it's hard to look at reality I guess.

No, it doesn't take 'balls' (per say), but people do shy away from posting their true opinions and feelings...as they don't want to be called out for it. I don't.
Huh, I think +/- is certainly a good tool in an informed context.

For instance, if Joe Schmoe comes up from Grand Rapids and puts up a +20 playing with Lidstrom, that doesn't mean that he's an elite d-man.

Again, while Carle hasn't put the points on the board as much as some of us would like, I'm fine with what he's done. As I've said many, many times, explain to me why nobody wants to trade for Kaberle any more?

TBH, that's the biggest argument in defense of the guy. At this time last year, everyone was screaming for Kaberle. Right now, nobody wants him. Now, we have the exact same corps from last year pretty much except for swapping out Hatch and Smith for Alberts and Carle and having Parent play a full season.

Yet nobody wants Kaberle anymore. Is it Andrew Alberts? Did he fulfill the role Kaberle was going to fulfill? I don't think so.

Old
04-05-2009, 12:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'd love to have Kaberle. He's talked down because people up there still think they can get Jeff Carter for him.

A Lupul/Kaberle swap...I think could be in the offing.

Old
04-05-2009, 12:52 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I'd love to have Kaberle. He's talked down because people up there still think they can get Jeff Carter for him.

A Lupul/Kaberle swap...I think could be in the offing.
I think we all would, the point is that there's no longer a giant need.

Obviously if we could swap Lupul for Kaberle (I'm a tad doubtful) and then deal Carle for picks/prospects, I'd be all over it.

Old
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's still a very big need, this team MUST improve the defense in the offseason. Hoping Sbisa doesn't break down again won't be the answer.

Old
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
It's still a very big need, this team MUST improve the defense in the offseason. Hoping Sbisa doesn't break down again won't be the answer.
I'd rank our priorities much differently.

1) Coaching
2) Goaltending (do we keep Marty? If not, what do we do?)
3) Dealing Lupul, resigning Knuble
4) Finding a 6th D from within the system or keeping Alberts. I mean, look at our top-4.

Kimmo-Parent
Coburn-Carle

Compare it to some other top-4s.

Martin-Oduya
White-Salvador/Havelid.

Chara-Ward
Wideman-Ference

Green-Poti
Schultz-Morrison

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Scuderi

Markov-Komi
Hamrlik-Gorges

I'd say ours is equal to or better than every top-4 there. While I'd love Kaberle, I think replenishing our goaltending is top priority.

Old
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They're not changing the coach, and Biron is going to come back, there aren't really many other legit options available that have been starting goalies before.

The top 4 is nice, but they don't play good enough defense. Too many games still tend to be firewagon hockey, and that's not going to win you a lot of playoff games. We need more defensemen who play better defense. Look at the 2-4's you listed (remove Timonen, Chara, Green, etc.) and compare those three guys in the defense zone, they all have bona fide shutdown defensmen who aren't their #1 (like Timonen).

Old
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
They're not changing the coach, and Biron is going to come back, there aren't really many other legit options available that have been starting goalies before.

The top 4 is nice, but they don't play good enough defense. Too many games still tend to be firewagon hockey, and that's not going to win you a lot of playoff games. We need more defensemen who play better defense. Look at the 2-4's you listed (remove Timonen, Chara, Green, etc.) and compare those three guys in the defense zone, they all have bona fide shutdown defensmen who aren't their #1 (like Timonen).
Parent should be that guy by next year I would think and Coburn has some serious defensive potential (big, fast, good puck skills), but really needs to work on his decision-making.

Carle is average defensively, won't get better, but you can afford to have 1 guy like that in your top-4.

Old
04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

You can have that guy in your top 4 if your 5 and 6 know how to play defense too.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Mota

I wouldnt mind switching up the defense...specificly switching carle and parent so carle can play with timonen. It seems like guys just get better when they play with kimmo...carle could use some of that.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Don't worry, most of the Flyers board is totally incapable of being objective when it comes to rating Carle.

Carle led our team in ES time, finished plus 1, was not out for an even strength goal against and wasn't even out for any huge chances against either.

Meanwhile, Kimmo directly cost us a goal with some really poor positioning during the 5 on 3 and not a word is said about it.

I mean, the Kimmo-Parent pairing has been really slipping lately as far as dumb mistakes, particularly from Parent, and not a word has been said about it.

Stupid, but not unexpected.
FlyHigh defending a player using only misinterpreted stats? That's a surprise...

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont ussually dont hate on Carle, but yesterday he was horrible in my opinion. Usually he is ok or plays a somewhat solid game, but I thought yesterday was one of his worse games. He turned the puck over soo many times. One of the times he went behind his own net and skated over the puck. That being said, I do think he is alittbe bit overpaid for what he is supposed to bring, which is an offensive defenseman.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
FlyHigh defending a player using only misinterpreted stats? That's a surprise...
Tell me how those stats are misinterpreted then.

Old
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Huh, I think +/- is certainly a good tool in an informed context.
What, when it's convenient?

Quote:
Again, while Carle hasn't put the points on the board as much as some of us would like, I'm fine with what he's done. As I've said many, many times, explain to me why nobody wants to trade for Kaberle any more?

TBH, that's the biggest argument in defense of the guy. At this time last year, everyone was screaming for Kaberle. Right now, nobody wants him. Now, we have the exact same corps from last year pretty much except for swapping out Hatch and Smith for Alberts and Carle and having Parent play a full season.

Yet nobody wants Kaberle anymore. Is it Andrew Alberts? Did he fulfill the role Kaberle was going to fulfill? I don't think so.
Carle get's paid to put up points, and paid to move the puck...right now he's doing neither. Sorry pal, he's stunk lately. Whether you choose not to see it, for whatever the reason...is your perogative.

I'd love to have Kaberle, just not for what HFBoard Leafs fans want for him...or obviously more importantly...Brian Burke.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

the title of this thread annoys me.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
the title of this thread annoys me.
Because the notion of moving Carle to forward is dumb? or because the OP made it a point to assure us of the authority of the thread?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

because matt carle at forward annoys me and any misleading title does also.... it should have it start as " the official" not just " official" which implies at quick glance as a move by flyers management.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I wouldnt mind switching up the defense...specificly switching carle and parent so carle can play with timonen. It seems like guys just get better when they play with kimmo...carle could use some of that.
Wow, I LOVE this idea actually.

Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Carcillo-Giroux-Briere
Noodles-Powe-Asham

Carle-Timonen
Coburn-Parent
Alberts-Jones

I like this idea a lot.

Carle has Timonen to cover for him, which might improve his offensive game, and make him more comfortable on defense. I might help reduce his turnovers.

Coburn (who has been solid of late) can be the offensive d-man of this pairing, with Parent covering him.

I think this works out well. If we can reduce turnovers on the defensive end, we might be able to tighten up our style of play.

Man, our forwards are deep. Dang.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Carcillo-Giroux-Briere
Noodles-Powe-Asham

Carle-Timonen
Coburn-Parent
Alberts-Jones

I like this idea a lot.

Carle has Timonen to cover for him, which might improve his offensive game, and make him more comfortable on defense. I might help reduce his turnovers.

Coburn (who has been solid of late) can be the offensive d-man of this pairing, with Parent covering him.

I think this works out well. If we can reduce turnovers on the defensive end, we might be able to tighten up our style of play.

I support these lines.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Carcillo-Giroux-Briere
Noodles-Powe-Asham

Carle-Timonen
Coburn-Parent
Alberts-Jones

I like this idea a lot.

I like these lines too...i think its worth a shot. The only change id make is letting nodl play with briere and giroux...hes played well of late and might be able to benefit offensivly playing with them. This way you can let carcillo, powe, and asham just be one badass energy 4th line.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I like these lines too...i think its worth a shot. The only change id make is letting nodl play with briere and giroux...hes played well of late and might be able to benefit offensivly playing with them. This way you can let carcillo, powe, and asham just be one badass energy 4th line.
I can agree with that.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote